*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

vladisacoward
On 09/04/2022 at 12:28, tcjambo said:

He has been on loan three times in a row and has turned 22 years old. Is he going to get an opportunity at Sevco? Might be worth an offer if he has the potential and, if I were him I'd being grabbing it with both hands, as he is far more likely to get first team football here.

Who were you referring to here? Just out of curiousity....

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Any chance Hamilton or Smith are offered new deals? 

Do we think Logan and McGill can come and contribute as squad players? Think Henderson definitely will be involved up until Jan

On 09/04/2022 at 14:37, SomethingAboutObua said:

The ***** with the red hand of ulster flag needs to absolutely get the **** out the stadium. Embarrassing stuff.

100% whoever takes it should be banned also. Embarrassing 

Batistuta87
11 hours ago, Ford Prentice said:

Pollock is on loan ar East Fife so can't play for us again this season.

My mistake - forgot he'd moved there. 

jamboinglasgow

I would imagine that any players we sign on pre-contracts will not be announced prior to the end of the season (unless they leak to the press or the current team want it announced) as in the past we have tried to be fair to the players current team.

12 hours ago, R1874 said:

Any chance Hamilton or Smith are offered new deals? 

Do we think Logan and McGill can come and contribute as squad players? Think Henderson definitely will be involved up until Jan

Smith just got a 1 year extension and seems to be in Robbie's plans.  

We need 2 #10 types/wingers, 2 CF's (unless Simms goes) 

Another CM (x2 if Haring leaves) , a LWB and 2 CB's. 

All of them improving the XI. 

I tend to worry more about players we might lose than players we might attract.  Just because someone is contracted doesn't stop a tempting bid coming in.

We have several players I would hate to lose.

31 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I tend to worry more about players we might lose than players we might attract.  Just because someone is contracted doesn't stop a tempting bid coming in.

Know what you mean lad but we've done such a good job of tying players down, and are in such rude financial health, it'll be on our terms.

First time perhaps in our history (bar VR for a year or two perhaps), we can with some oomph say "pay us what you'd pay the OF or an English club if you want our boy".

Tricky bit is if we have and sell a £4m player, we obviously can't replace him with a £4m player!! Contingency recruitment plus a good list of realistic replacements is they key and our recruitment team certainly seem on the ball.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

If we have another 3rd place season next year and  guys like Kingsley, Halkett, aki, Devlin, McKay get caps we could well get ripped apart. 

A few good games in Europe will add to that Likley hood. 

Could lose Bob as well which I think would make many players impartial to Hearts and if not destroy, reduce the team togetherness. 

It's the reality of our position. 

Having good recruitment and getting fees for players that do leave are critical. 

Bazzas right boot
16 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We need 2 #10 types/wingers, 2 CF's (unless Simms goes) 

Another CM (x2 if Haring leaves) , a LWB and 2 CB's. 

All of them improving the XI. 

I'd go along with that as reasonable, add in a decent back up gk as well. 

That's also if guys like McEneff, Gino and GMS stay, if they leave it will be more. 

57 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Know what you mean lad but we've done such a good job of tying players down, and are in such rude financial health, it'll be on our terms.

First time perhaps in our history (bar VR for a year or two perhaps), we can with some oomph say "pay us what you'd pay the OF or an English club if you want our boy".

Tricky bit is if we have and sell a £4m player, we obviously can't replace him with a £4m player!! Contingency recruitment plus a good list of realistic replacements is they key and our recruitment team certainly seem on the ball.

A lot of wishful thinking in there I fear.

We haven't managed contingency recruitment in central defence where we still play a LB at LCB (even if he does excel) and certainly not in the goalkeeping position, just as 2 examples.

And

We've never yet been tested about players leaving on our terms with transfers but Soapy has demonstrated we still can't tie down our best players at the end of contract.

Leveins Battalion
15 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We haven't managed contingency recruitment in central defence where we still play a LB at LCB (even if he does excel) and certainly not in the goalkeeping position, just as 2 examples.

And

We've never yet been tested about players leaving on our terms with transfers but Soapy has demonstrated we still can't tie down our best players at the end of contract.

Yes but our recruitment team have only been in the job less than a year?

Lancefield and Brown only joined this season and Brown recommended Devlin in his 1st week.🤷‍♂️

Very happy with the way our recruitment going, it has been turned round in a short time. We will get some wrong, and every area can be improved, but are not making the multiple signings with long contracts, (many of whom not even good enough to get a game) as we did in the recent past. I trust further progress will continue for the coming season. Our club is in a much better place.

42 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And

There's an argument in there but as pointed out our recruitment team are brand new and signs are good.

In years gone by *especially the Levein years), we'd have signed any old shite for those positions you mention. "Hey Mr Trusted Agent, got an lcb for us? Injured you say? Yeah that's fine." Now we can't get our man, we wait. I'd suggest we do already have contingency seeing as Kingsley has been not far off poty in that position, Hales has played there well in a 4, Cochrane has done fine too. And we have 3 capable lbs, plus Smith and Natty who can also cover lb if required.  Until the right lcb comes along, we're cool beans.

Souttar a poor example imo. Very unique circumstance with contract, injuries etc. We've tied down every single other "asset". And even with Soapy, we didn't bow to the hun like we may have in the past, we held firm for a set asking price they refused to meet which validates my point.

And I refuse to not think wishfully when it comes to Hearts!! Ha ha, its the only way I've kept going the last 40 years!

If we get a kick start of £ 4 to 6 million from Europe then we invest it in good players who we can hopefully use to get there again the season after that

If we do well enough with these players that they attract attention from other clubs then they have to pay us a fair price if a deal can be done

We then reinvest that money on replacing those players with players of equal quality

We get to watch good players who might actually win something and we get compensated when they go so we can bring in good replacements

That is how it is supposed to work but good recruitment and contract management are absolutely pivotal to it working

17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

There's an argument in there but as pointed out our recruitment team are brand new and signs are good.

In years gone by *especially the Levein years), we'd have signed any old shite for those positions you mention. "Hey Mr Trusted Agent, got an lcb for us? Injured you say? Yeah that's fine." Now we can't get our man, we wait. I'd suggest we do already have contingency seeing as Kingsley has been not far off poty in that position, Hales has played there well in a 4, Cochrane has done fine too. And we have 3 capable lbs, plus Smith and Natty who can also cover lb if required.  Until the right lcb comes along, we're cool beans.

Souttar a poor example imo. Very unique circumstance with contract, injuries etc. We've tied down every single other "asset". And even with Soapy, we didn't bow to the hun like we may have in the past, we held firm for a set asking price they refused to meet which validates my point.

And I refuse to not think wishfully when it comes to Hearts!! Ha ha, its the only way I've kept going the last 40 years!

Agree with this. 

i think the whole system is now about not rushing in and waiting for exactly the right player. I am certain this is why we use so many loans at present - in theory this could be bad for team building and lead to lots of the squad with limited buy-in, but the reality is it is much better than disinterested wasters or misfits seeing out their contracts. 

I’m pretty sure we have a signing list and a loan list for each target position and if we can’t who we need permanently, we no longer gamble. instead we get a competent loaner in until we can get who we really want (or they make the jersey their own). 

Kingsley is statistically one of the best CBs in the division, despite it being his second position. We have competent LB cover in the interim. We have had plenty time to scour LBs and LCHs now. 

would say the recruitment team have played a blinder. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

And

Not sure that your last sentence holds water when we have re-signed Gordon, Kingsley and Halkett (by any measure amongst our best players this season) towards the end of their contracts plus Mackay in advance of his getting towards the end.

59 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Yes but our recruitment team have only been in the job less than a year?

Lancefield and Brown only joined this season and Brown recommended Devlin in his 1st week.🤷‍♂️

So there hasn't really been time to assess properly.  The real point is we haven't yet been tested with offers for our players and the very fact that we now have more money should enable us to be less desperate when the time comes

AND

we haven't been able to hold on to a prize asset (Soapy) at the end of his contract - hence my comment about wishful thinking.

I too think we are on the right road but as of now it's maybe a little premature to shout from the rooftops.

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

That's where i'm more confident than ever that we're in a good place, the Will Lancefield podcast from when he was at Southampton said that he always works towards the next 4 transfer windows, looking at both players that may become available and also who we may need to replace. 

31 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Quite right too.  I agree and hope very much that you are right - I just think it's a little premature. 

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Quite right too.  I agree and hope very much that you are right - I just think it's a little premature. 

Been accused of that in the past tbf!!

15 minutes ago, Ribble said:

That's where i'm more confident than ever that we're in a good place, the Will Lancefield podcast from when he was at Southampton said that he always works towards the next 4 transfer windows, looking at both players that may become available and also who we may need to replace. 

I am more confident as well but it must be remembered that RN (1st time), CL, Cathro, MacPhee, Stendel etc were working with little or no money and did not have identification help like Lancefield and Brown as we do now.  Now we have James Anderson's contributions plus a growing FoH to fund us so I would sincerely hope we are capable of doing better.  Looking back at our past failures is miles away from comparing like with like and quite frankly I do not see what joy some people get in doing that or even mentioning it.

Even now we have signed some duffers eg Gnando, Kasteneer.

Batistuta87
18 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I am more confident as well but it must be remembered that RN (1st time), CL, Cathro, MacPhee, Stendel etc were working with little or no money and did not have identification help like Lancefield and Brown as we do now.  Now we have James Anderson's contributions plus a growing FoH to fund us so I would sincerely hope we are capable of doing better.  Looking back at our past failures is miles away from comparing like with like and quite frankly I do not see what joy some people get in doing that or even mentioning it.

+ Euro prize money

:callme:

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Alan Forest

Regan Charles Cook

Ross Graham

Would be a good start....

If we got all 3 of those I'd be absolutely delighted tbh

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Get where you're coming from but worth remembering Gnando was a panic January signing when we desperately needed a striker & the goalposts were moved on the Adebayo deal, still managed to make a decent impact in the Championship. Kastaneer was just horrific though, made Danny Amaankwa look like Neymar in comparison. Can't think of any other genuine duds Savage has played a part in signing, even Woodburn & Gino while unbelievably frustrating have played a part, just not consistently enough

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Alan Forest

Regan Charles Cook

Ross Graham

Mikey Johnstone as well. 

Then we can look further afield. 

LarrysRightFoot
59 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Mikey Johnstone as well. 

Then we can look further afield. 

Is Mikey Jonnstone realistic? I think he’d need to go on a Barrie McKay style journey before he would end up at us. 

I like Scott Wright at Rangers as well but again can’t see us signing him directly from Rangers unfortunately.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Is Mikey Jonnstone realistic? I think he’d need to go on a Barrie McKay style journey before he would end up at us. 

I like Scott Wright at Rangers as well but again can’t see us signing him directly from Rangers unfortunately.

Maybe, but financially we are better off now. 

Our top players imo wil be getting far more than they were 5 or 6 years ago. 

We are more attractive now and many English teams ( unless top teams) maybe aren't as attractive as they were compared to us as in the past. 

If players prioritise cash only we'll struggle, but we will offer more money than before and if a player wants caps, European and first team football and to be at the top end we are more attractive than a debt ridden championship club. 

I always think it depends on the difference, if shitty English clubs offer £20k plus we're ****ed, but if its £8-£12k the other factors might come into play more. 

Fair point, although I think he'll be in our range, don't think he'll be on daft money or in a position to get a big English payday. 

Finlay James
9 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe, but financially we are better off now. 

Our top players imo wil be getting far more than they were 5 or 6 years ago. 

We are more attractive now and many English teams ( unless top teams) maybe aren't as attractive as they were compared to us as in the past. 

If players prioritise cash only we'll struggle, but we will offer more money than before and if a player wants caps, European and first team football and to be at the top end we are more attractive than a debt ridden championship club. 

I always think it depends on the difference, if shitty English clubs offer £20k plus we're ****ed, but if its £8-£12k the other factors might come into play more. 

Fair point, although I think he'll be in our range, don't think he'll be on daft money or in a position to get a big English payday. 

Mikey Johnstone would be my top target, he’s got real potential but I’d be amazed if Celtic sold him to us.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Mikey Johnstone would be my top target, he’s got real potential but I’d be amazed if Celtic sold him to us.

He's out of contract this summer I think. 

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Alan Forest

Regan Charles Cook

Ross Graham

Plus another hold-the-ball up striker to compete with Ellis (if he's still here).

We have a very good squad at the moment but we need more depth and competition in the squad.

Just now, upgotheheads said:

Plus another hold-the-ball up striker to compete with Ellis (if he's still here).

We have a very good squad at the moment but we need more depth and competition in the squad.

I’d rather have a score - goals striker.

section s heart

We've done noticeably better in transfer windows since Joe and his team got their feet under the table. Most of this season's recruits and renewed contracts have been warmly accepted by the fans, and the reality is there's always going to be the odd player like Soapy who wants to go and we can't persuade him to re-sign, or ultimately can't meet his wage demands.

We're mitigating the risk of our best players running down contracts, and having Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley, McKay, Halliday on good extensions along with Devlin, Beni, Akka coming in on good length contracts, illustrates this. 

Bazzas right boot

Mentioned it before ( tongue in cheek) 

Jack Wilshire... :jambobanana:

Played 6 times for AGF in Denmark since February and out of contract in the summer. 

If he continues to play and doesn't break down he'd add something for our European campaign that is generally beyond us. 

Apparently he's on £5k a week there. 

2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Get where you're coming from but worth remembering Gnando was a panic January signing when we desperately needed a striker & the goalposts were moved on the Adebayo deal, still managed to make a decent impact in the Championship. Kastaneer was just horrific though, made Danny Amaankwa look like Neymar in comparison. Can't think of any other genuine duds Savage has played a part in signing, even Woodburn & Gino while unbelievably frustrating have played a part, just not consistently enough

I don't think we can even attribute Kastaneer or Gnando to what our full scouting setup is now. We only really had our full setup in place a few weeks before the start of this season, even then Lancefield has said that his usual minimum level of scouting for a player is 3 scouts x 3 games each meaning 9 games before HE then looks at a player, only the January window gave us the opportunity to have even close to the minimum amount of information our scouting team want before recommending a player, I'm fully confident that going forwards we'll see less gnando's and far more Beni's

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

I don't think we can even attribute Kastaneer or Gnando to what our full scouting setup is now. We only really had our full setup in place a few weeks before the start of this season, even then Lancefield has said that his usual minimum level of scouting for a player is 3 scouts x 3 games each meaning 9 games before HE then looks at a player, only the January window gave us the opportunity to have even close to the minimum amount of information our scouting team want before recommending a player, I'm fully confident that going forwards we'll see less gnando's and far more Beni's

Aye let's just make excuses. 

Previous management teams didn't have a Brown or a Lancefield and often panic bought against a background of little money.  They probably didn't have the wherewithal to view a prospect 9 times or even to pay what Brown and/or Lancefield earn.

I too am confident we are on a better path but then so we should, with a more professional and costlier set-up.  The real point I wish to make is that those who decry the previous regimes are looking for an easy hit and not comparing like with like financially.  All clubs, irrespective of their set-up, will make good and bad signings - even Sir Alex got a few wrong.  However it stands to reason that, by and large, the more money you have, the better the signings are likely to be.

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd go along with that as reasonable, add in a decent back up gk as well. 

That's also if guys like McEneff, Gino and GMS stay, if they leave it will be more. 

2 x CF

2 x 10/Winger

2 x CM

1 x LWB

2 x CB

1 x GK

And that's before anyone else goes

Who's all leaving?

Cochrane (LWB), Moore (CB), Woodburn (10/winger), Simms (CF)

Other than guys who have made absolutely zero contribution recently, like Walker, Popescu and Damour, who is missing from the first team next season? 10 signings, that we expect to "improve the first team" looks like a lot of bodies

Watt-Zeefuik
On 12/04/2022 at 05:56, jamboinglasgow said:

I would imagine that any players we sign on pre-contracts will not be announced prior to the end of the season (unless they leak to the press or the current team want it announced) as in the past we have tried to be fair to the players current team.

Yes, as any decent club that's not run by shitebags will do. We did this with Halkett and it was only revealed he had signed a pre when the season was over.

Fly-by-night jumpstart clubs throwing silly money around have to publicize it during the season, of course.

8 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If we have another 3rd place season next year and  guys like Kingsley, Halkett, aki, Devlin, McKay get caps we could well get ripped apart. 

A few good games in Europe will add to that Likley hood. 

Could lose Bob as well which I think would make many players impartial to Hearts and if not destroy, reduce the team togetherness. 

It's the reality of our position. 

Having good recruitment and getting fees for players that do leave are critical. 

Not ITK but I would be shocked if Rab went elsewhere. He's seen the grass on the other side of the fence and now has the chance to take a very good team on an extended European adventure. I'm sure if we keep on as we have that he'll get all kinds of knocks on the door but I think he's savvy enough to knock them back until a true golden opportunity comes, like an actual EPL team. In the meantime, he can become a legend at Hearts.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

So there hasn't really been time to assess properly.  The real point is we haven't yet been tested with offers for our players and the very fact that we now have more money should enable us to be less desperate when the time comes

AND

we haven't been able to hold on to a prize asset (Soapy) at the end of his contract - hence my comment about wishful thinking.

I too think we are on the right road but as of now it's maybe a little premature to shout from the rooftops.

How do you know we haven’t had offers?

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

How do you know we haven’t had offers?

I don't but there's a fair chance we would have heard about it if we had.

I also don't know if we have watched someone 9 times and not signed them.

Merely working on what is in the public domain.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't but there's a fair chance we would have heard about it if we had.

I also don't know if we have watched someone 9 times and not signed them.

Merely working on what is in the public domain.

Pretty sure Robbie mentioned just after Beni’s first injury that it maybe wasn’t bad timing as other clubs had already been showing interest in him and other players… this was just before the Jan window.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

4 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Funny you say that. I noticed Patrick Roberts is out of contract at Sunderland.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***