*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Would be happy with Forrest.

We’re going to need a big squad if we’re in Europe for more than one tie, and Forrest is proven to be a good player domestically. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Not convinced by Forrest tbh. Not very clinical, not much of an end product. However, he's young, really quick and direct. Would be fine as an option, but don't think he improves our first 11.

I only want us to sign Forrest if we have a spare member of staff to cook his meals for him and I do not want any of that food going to his big brother 

10 minutes ago, Zaba said:

We’re going to need a big squad if we’re in Europe for more than one tie, and Forrest is proven to be a good player domestically. 

Kind of is what we need.  A few guys who we know can slip in when needed and be relied on.  Wonder if that type of player better to be someone who knows the league, whereas your top qual, larger budget player who is first pick it matters less?

Rick Sanchez

Would you take him over Ginnelly?

For me, probably. I think Forrest is better at running at defenders.

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Would you take him over Ginnelly?

For me, probably. I think Forrest is better at running at defenders.

From the little I've seen of Forrest I'd take him over Ginnelly. Gino is very inconsistent.

Just now, johnking123 said:

Aiming far better than forrest

Is this just aper talk with a journalist throwing darts because we will need a bigger squad in your opinion John

Looks better than GMS and Ginnelly. Worth 600k according to transfermrkt, I think it's a cert at this point. He's one of their best players. Would love to see us get him and Charles cook. 

1 hour ago, Zaba said:

This is it, I'm not expecting him to be our best player but he's better than some of the players we have and we need a bigger squad. Won't cost us anything either.

Batistuta87

I'd take Forrest. Right now he would probably be our 2nd best winger behind McKay but I hope, as @johnking123 has aluded to, that we're aiming higher than signing players from Livi.

Interesting if we had a scout watching Swansea yesterday as Dhanda was playing, and someone said in the Jan window that he's one we'd be looking at in the summer.  

Raymond Reddington

I found it interesting that Hungbo of Ross County was benched for our game made me wonder if we had signed him. Usually starts personally id be looking at Charles Cook first however think Hungbo is younger and Cook seems to have hit a purple patch which could just be a one season wonder.

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'd take Forrest. Right now he would probably be our 2nd best winger behind McKay but I hope, as @johnking123 has aluded to, that we're aiming higher than signing players from Livi.

Interesting if we had a scout watching Swansea yesterday as Dhanda was playing, and someone said in the Jan window that he's one we'd be looking at in the summer.  

Not a go at you and not a comment on Forrest as not seen much of him (he looked decent against us in one of the games I think...?), but the "I hope we're aiming higher than a Livvy player" type thing you see on here is a bit mental is it not?

So we wouldn't have wanted John McGinn from St Mirren?  Our own Halkett from Livvy themselves?  Weir, McCann, Cameron, all these guys from smaller Scottish clubs.  It's a market we can't ignore.  If a guy shows he's good, we need to scout the crap out of him to see he can handle the step up and not Sutton it, and we go for it is my view.

Or we can sign Paul McCallum from West Ham or Connor Randall from Liverpool.  It's about good scouting surely?

6 minutes ago, Raymond Reddington said:

I found it interesting that Hungbo of Ross County was benched for our game made me wonder if we had signed him. Usually starts personally id be looking at Charles Cook first however think Hungbo is younger and Cook seems to have hit a purple patch which could just be a one season wonder.

Funny, when I've seen them I've been more impressed by Hungbo actually.  May have been his only good games of course!!  Fast, powerful, skillful, certainly seems to have all the tools.  Would seem a bit of a punt!

Raymond Reddington

Too be fair both  Cook and Hungbo have had good seasons. I think Cook could give us the right balance if he was to maintain his form. Him one side of a 3 scoring goals and Mckay the other side creating. Of course Mckay has now found his scoring boots so now no longer just a creater.

Edited by Raymond Reddington

Batistuta87
48 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not a go at you and not a comment on Forrest as not seen much of him (he looked decent against us in one of the games I think...?), but the "I hope we're aiming higher than a Livvy player" type thing you see on here is a bit mental is it not?

So we wouldn't have wanted John McGinn from St Mirren?  Our own Halkett from Livvy themselves?  Weir, McCann, Cameron, all these guys from smaller Scottish clubs.  It's a market we can't ignore.  If a guy shows he's good, we need to scout the crap out of him to see he can handle the step up and not Sutton it, and we go for it is my view.

Or we can sign Paul McCallum from West Ham or Connor Randall from Liverpool.  It's about good scouting surely?

Not really - I hope we're aiming higher than a Livi player who will be 26 by the time he's kicked a baw for us next season because we will need to have better players than that in order to take that next step and compete in Europe and to land the odd blow on Rangers and Celtic. Not doubting his ability - he is more than decent - but in terms of becoming a key player for us in our going full tilt facing up to the Old Firm, I'm not sure he's quite there. He'd be a useful asset in the squad I'm sure, but not the level I (and many others, it seems) want for a first team key player.

John McGinn is a different kettle of fish. He was 19 when he left St Mirren so snapping up someone with his whole career ahead of him is in no way comparable to signing someone who is at or at least very near the peak of his. Halkett was again younger (24) when he joined us and was younger still (23) when we agreed his pre-contract. McCann was 22 when we signed him. Cameron 24. Weir was 26 but didn't start playing professionally until 22. They were all younger, less experienced, and had more room for development than Alan Forest does at this stage in his career.

Rick Sanchez
27 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Do you know what I know…….😏

I do not :laugh:

Just that he was linked in January.

44 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Not really - I hope we're aiming higher than a Livi player who will be 26 by the time he's kicked a baw for us next season because we will need to have better players than that in order to take that next step and compete in Europe and to land the odd blow on Rangers and Celtic. Not doubting his ability - he is more than decent - but in terms of becoming a key player for us in our going full tilt facing up to the Old Firm, I'm not sure he's quite there. He'd be a useful asset in the squad I'm sure, but not the level I (and many others, it seems) want for a first team key player.

John McGinn is a different kettle of fish. He was 19 when he left St Mirren so snapping up someone with his whole career ahead of him is in no way comparable to signing someone who is at or at least very near the peak of his. Halkett was again younger (24) when he joined us and was younger still (23) when we agreed his pre-contract. McCann was 22 when we signed him. Cameron 24. Weir was 26 but didn't start playing professionally until 22. They were all younger, less experienced, and had more room for development than Alan Forest does at this stage in his career.

Aye I get that and as said, not aimed at you, just used your post to quote! haha.

You do see it on here when folk simply write guys off cos of who they play for though.

What i'd say on your post here is that squad balance and using the budget well will be very interesting to watch.  Perhaps a couple of Alan Forrests in back up allow us a proper top notcher, rather than having 3 guys all a wee bit better than Alan Forrest, if that makes sense?  And maybe that's what they decide to do.  Real high qual at a price, with what we see as reliable backup, rather than a good quality throughout all 21 players or whatever.  (You have £10k to spend, do you get 3 x £3k-ish, or 2 x £2k + a £6k?)

Looking forward to the window (kind of!  In truth I'm looking forward to the end of the window!)

BackOfTheNet

Forrest is decent enough. But I don’t think he’s got much room to improve at his age, so we’d not be exactly investing in the future. Doesn’t really fit the model of new signings these days to be honest…

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Aye I get that and as said, not aimed at you, just used your post to quote! haha.

You do see it on here when folk simply write guys off cos of who they play for though.

What i'd say on your post here is that squad balance and using the budget well will be very interesting to watch.  Perhaps a couple of Alan Forrests in back up allow us a proper top notcher, rather than having 3 guys all a wee bit better than Alan Forrest, if that makes sense?  And maybe that's what they decide to do.  Real high qual at a price, with what we see as reliable backup, rather than a good quality throughout all 21 players or whatever.  (You have £10k to spend, do you get 3 x £3k-ish, or 2 x £2k + a £6k?)

Looking forward to the window (kind of!  In truth I'm looking forward to the end of the window!)

Absolutely - balance and depth will be absolutely key next season if we've got European games to play. Completely agree with you. We need to up quality all round by a wee level. Forest would certainly do that in terms of our options as backup to McKay and whoever else because he'd be better than GMS and possibly Gino too. Looking forward to seeing what we do and I like how we have an actual rumour that's in the papers to talk about 😂

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Forrest is decent enough. But I don’t think he’s got much room to improve at his age, so we’d not be exactly investing in the future. Doesn’t really fit the model of new signings these days to be honest…

About where I am but he would be an improvement on our current backup options and on that basis I'd be fine with us signing him. 

Edited by Batistuta87

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

About where I am but he would be an improvement on our current backup options and on that basis I'd be fine with us signing him. 

Seems to be playing the best football he’s ever played. Could still be improvement to come, especially playing with better players. 

bobby bombscare
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don't think he needs to develop much, does he? I think if we signed Forrest it would be as a squad player. It's like we didn't buy Halliday, Smith, Kingsley or Boyce cause they had room to improve, we brought them in because they were good enough to play right now.

We wouldn't be paying a fee so if we have him for 2 years and he does his job and moves on, then that's grand. There are players you bring in to improve (and maybe even make money on). That's your Atkinsons, Devlins, Sibbicks. But you also need the players that play back up to them when required and that is where a Forrest or someone comes into play. 

I think the way to look at it is "if McKay goes off injured, who do i want to see coming on? GMS or Forrest?" and if the answer to that is Forrest, then we let GMS move on and bring in Forrest for the same wages. I will agree that there is more exciting options out there but as someone mentioned earlier, i would be happy to see him replace a current squad player and us get a real gem of a signing rather than 2 kind of good signings. 

A good example is probably the midfield, we have Halliday and McEneff. We could have got better, but then may not have had the cash for Beni and Devlin? 

I'm rambling now but you get what i mean

4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Different ages and development potential and so on, but where a player is being signed from? Nah; Irrelevant. We signed Templeton from Stenhousemuir. £30k. Good enough to stick one on Liverpool. 😊

5 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yes we are aiming for players from Liffy instead https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/deividas-cesnauskis-on-discussing-transfer-targets-with-hearts-boss-robbie-neilson-and-how-war-in-ukraine-is-changing-the-market-3641098

BackOfTheNet
34 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

I don't think he needs to develop much, does he? I think if we signed Forrest it would be as a squad player. It's like we didn't buy Halliday, Smith, Kingsley or Boyce cause they had room to improve, we brought them in because they were good enough to play right now.

We wouldn't be paying a fee so if we have him for 2 years and he does his job and moves on, then that's grand. There are players you bring in to improve (and maybe even make money on). That's your Atkinsons, Devlins, Sibbicks. But you also need the players that play back up to them when required and that is where a Forrest or someone comes into play. 

I think the way to look at it is "if McKay goes off injured, who do i want to see coming on? GMS or Forrest?" and if the answer to that is Forrest, then we let GMS move on and bring in Forrest for the same wages. I will agree that there is more exciting options out there but as someone mentioned earlier, i would be happy to see him replace a current squad player and us get a real gem of a signing rather than 2 kind of good signings. 

A good example is probably the midfield, we have Halliday and McEneff. We could have got better, but then may not have had the cash for Beni and Devlin? 

I'm rambling now but you get what i mean

I’m fine with him replacing GMS. If that’s what he’s doing. I just look at the recruitment so far and I just don’t see how he fits into that, is my point really. Although if we’re looking to be in Europe we will need to think about home grown players for squads.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Who?

I’ll put my hands up and say I didn’t know who Baningame was before we signed him and that’s the level of quality we need to be aiming for.  

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, King prawn said:

I’ll put my hands up and say I didn’t know who Baningame was before we signed him and that’s the level of quality we need to be aiming for.  

No shame in that - I couldn't tell you anyone currently hovering between Everton U23 and their first team like he was when we picked him up. I'd mentioned his name a couple of times on here but didn't know much about him. I was in no way "ITK" and only found him when looking through guys who were in the last year of their contracts down south, and who maybe appeared to be surplus to requirements. Some completely shot it all down saying was stupid to even mention guys like him but then look what happened...

Jambo 4 Ever
14 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We had a scout at the Swansea v Sheffield United under 23 games yesterday.

If Wednesday then maybe Paterson?

51 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

We are not signing paterson!

Good I am really hoping the hints you are dropping are able to take shape 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

No shame in that - I couldn't tell you anyone currently hovering between Everton U23 and their first team like he was when we picked him up. I'd mentioned his name a couple of times on here but didn't know much about him. I was in no way "ITK" and only found him when looking through guys who were in the last year of their contracts down south, and who maybe appeared to be surplus to requirements. Some completely shot it all down saying was stupid to even mention guys like him but then look what happened...

It's a market we should be all over. 

Batistuta87
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

If Wednesday then maybe Paterson?

He wasn't playing. I reckon we were watching Dhanda at Swansea. 

Lone Striker

Just for some context on the Alan Forrest chat, he's 25 currently and has done quite well in his first season at Livi after  the step up from Ayr Utd.

Barrie McKay was 27 when we signed him after knocking around various loan spells and some time at Swansea.  It seems he didn't set the heather on fire at any of them, yet he's our most influential attacker this season - is it just a purple patch, just like some are saying about RCC ?

Its all about opinions, but folk saying "we can do better" is a bit meaningless.   Isn't Craig Gordon  just about the only Hearts player that "we can do better" DOESN'T   apply to ?

Ainsley Harriott
On 05/04/2022 at 14:38, Raymond Reddington said:

I would have wanted both of them ahead of Forrest also which makes me wonder if the club have enquired about them and they're both no's. Perhaps offered more money elsewhere for next season

20 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I would have wanted both of them ahead of Forrest also which makes me wonder if the club have enquired about them and they're both no's. Perhaps offered more money elsewhere for next season

Or more likely the Forrest connection is just a Sun hack plucking names out of his arse because he found out that he was interesting a bigger club than Dundee United

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Just for some context on the Alan Forrest chat, he's 25 currently and has done quite well in his first season at Livi after  the step up from Ayr Utd.

Barrie McKay was 27 when we signed him after knocking around various loan spells and some time at Swansea.  It seems he didn't set the heather on fire at any of them, yet he's our most influential attacker this season - is it just a purple patch, just like some are saying about RCC ?

Its all about opinions, but folk saying "we can do better" is a bit meaningless.   Isn't Craig Gordon  just about the only Hearts player that "we can do better" DOESN'T   apply to ?

Barrie McKay has spent his entire career playing at a far higher level than Forrest.

Unknown user
25 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Barrie McKay has spent his entire career playing at a far higher level than Forrest.

Fleetwood Town?

Rick Sanchez

Some players just click at a certain club...Barrie McKay has clicked. We could sign RCC and he could easily score 1 in 10.

Look at Woodburn.

1 hour ago, bistokid said:

Players hit peak form at different ages. Some are late bloomers, others fade quick. 

Thing is, our recruitment department is being run professionally now. Whilst I don’t doubt Robbie ‘likes’ Forrest, I also think he’ll have been presented with all relevant data on him too. I think we’ve moved on a bit from how it was before. 

I think Forrest is a steady signing that isn’t going to wow, but will put in far more consistent performances than Gino or GMS have. He’s doing great for Livi and at face value, you’d think putting him in a better team where he’s going to get more of the ball will allow him to build on that. 

Batistuta87

Robbie in the papers tonight saying we've started talks with a "a couple" of the boys we on loan, about staying beyond the end of the season. 

🤞🏻 Simms & Cochrane...? 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***