*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

What ‘charge’ are we having in Europe ?

Realistically we’ve got a play off we’ll lose and a conference group we won’t get out of.

Given that we won’t have the LC group stages we’re down for about 4 extra games on last season.

We’re not going to ‘volumise’ the squad for 4 extra games. We’ll increase the quality in the starting 11 and it’s fringes and a few players will leave. There might be a few comings and goings but the squad size isn’t going up by much. We don’t need it to.

Even if we keep the squad size the same well need 7-8 players. 

4 extra games, they'll also probably be harder and involve more travelling and not All in July / August. 

We'll also hopefully have a few  extra league Cup games as well be seeded and progress. 

The squad size will also be boosted by a few youth. 

No idea of the final squad size but we'll easily bring around 7-8 players. 

We'll also need more quality and cover if we also want to improve our league season. 

It's not only about Europe. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Striker from Leeds Utd been taking a look at for a potential loan next season. Not got a name but sounds like a young(ish) striker. If they go down he won't leave on loan.

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Mbappe is out of the equation. 

PSG have offered him a signing on fee off £150m and a net wage of £21m a season. 

On the week UEFA announce the new financial fair play ammendments. 

It's almost a piss take. 

French tits. Games gone mad.

john thomas
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

4 extra games, they'll also probably be harder and involve more travelling and not All in July / August. 

We'll also hopefully have a few  extra league Cup games as well be seeded and progress. 

We'll also need more quality and cover if we also want to improve our league season. 

Take your point but surely less (or same) LC games as not in group stage ?

Also got to take into account that the squad could be augmented by young players coming through like Finlay Pollock or Connor Smith who have both been out on loan this season.

39 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Striker from Leeds Utd been taking a look at for a potential loan next season. Not got a name but sounds like a young(ish) striker. If they go down he won't leave on loan.

If correct, I'd take a stab at Sam Greenwood.

KyleLafferty
13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If correct, I'd take a stab at Sam Greenwood.

100% if true it will be him. Was flying as Arsenal as a youth player. 

Batistuta87
23 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

100% if true it will be him. Was flying as Arsenal as a youth player. 

Had to be. Only other young striker they have is Joel Gelhardt and he's been playing quite a bit for the first team, so won't be him.

Mr Elwood P
11 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

What ‘charge’ are we having in Europe ?

Realistically we’ve got a play off we’ll lose and a conference group we won’t get out of.

Given that we won’t have the LC group stages we’re down for about 4 extra games on last season.

We’re not going to ‘volumise’ the squad for 4 extra games. We’ll increase the quality in the starting 11 and it’s fringes and a few players will leave. There might be a few comings and goings but the squad size isn’t going up by much. We don’t need it to.

Stinking attitude.

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Good standard of loanees will help a lot 👍 

merseyjambo

Been watching the QotS v Thistle game.

Been quite impressed by the centre half at Thistle, Lewis Mayo. U21 international.

could be a bit of a rough diamond.

Re Simms, if Everton go down he will definitely be part of squad next season. There will be a fire sale of a lot of the big earners. DCL is quite unpopular with a lot of fans who question his work rate. If they stay up, a lot will depend on who Fat Frankie (assuming he’s still there) sees as his main striker and how much money they have to spend. They are being looked at re FFP and are trying to build a new stadium with the loss of its main sponsor, Mr Usmanov, for obvious current reasons. 

How much Everton would want for him if they were willing to sell, that would be anyones guess.

8 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Been quite impressed by the centre half at Thistle, Lewis Mayo. U21 international.

Re Simms, if Everton go down he will definitely be part of squad next season. There will be a fire sale of a lot of the big earners. DCL is quite unpopular with a lot of fans who question his work rate. If they stay up, a lot will depend on who Fat Frankie (assuming he’s still there) sees as his main striker and how much money they have to spend. They are being looked at re FFP and are trying to build a new stadium with the loss of its main sponsor, Mr Usmanov, for obvious current reasons. 

How much Everton would want for him if they were willing to sell, that would be anyones guess.

Would he though?

Everton can't afford to be in that league any longer than 1 year. Even if they have to sell their key players like DCL I cannot see them putting faith in Simms beyond a cameo in some cup games if he's lucky. If Everton were a Derby County or Preston type club, I could see it but I suspect they'll look to rely on experienced players to dig them out of that league, if indeed they do go down. If they stay up, I think it would be worth putting in a cheeky bid and seeing if they bite. 

merseyjambo
33 minutes ago, OTT said:

Would he though?

Everton can't afford to be in that league any longer than 1 year. Even if they have to sell their key players like DCL I cannot see them putting faith in Simms beyond a cameo in some cup games if he's lucky. If Everton were a Derby County or Preston type club, I could see it but I suspect they'll look to rely on experienced players to dig them out of that league, if indeed they do go down. If they stay up, I think it would be worth putting in a cheeky bid and seeing if they bite. 

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2022/3/30/23003580/everton-financial-results-premier-league-profit-and-sustainability-moshiri-kenwright-bramley-moore

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Stinking attitude.

👍🏻

I know eh... 

Edited by Batistuta87

3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Stinking attitude.

Europe is great. Group football in Europe guaranteed is fantastic but lets be realistic here. It’s a cash cow at this stage so let’s not spend all that cash on a pipe dream. Let’s just improve the team bit by bit  in a sustainable way and make sure we’ve got a team that does European football every year, not just once in 5-6 seasons. Football is littered with teams who blew their lot on stuff that was out of reach. Give us £6 million thanks very much by all means but we’re not spending it all to be the talk of Europe just yet.

Edited by JimmyCant

LarrysRightFoot

Not sure if anyone read Ralf Ragnick talking about signings/building a team and sighting Liverpool as an example?

Before anyone goes off their tits about money, size of club etc it applies to all levels of the game and it’s obvious and simple. 

Sign players who are young(ish), proven at a certain level but are hungry and ready to kick on and who fit your system. 

Hope Bob and Joe have taken note, if so we will have the league title in the bag in 3 years.

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Europe is great. Group football in Europe guaranteed is fantastic but lets be realistic here. It’s a cash cow at this stage so let’s not spend all that cash on a pipe dream. Let’s just improve the team bit by bit  in a sustainable way and make sure we’ve got a team that does European football every year, not just once in 5-6 seasons. Football is littered with teams who blew their lot on stuff that was out of reach. Give us £6 million thanks very much by all means but we’re not spending it all to be the talk of Europe just yet.

The better we do in Europe the more money we will make so it would be crazy not to power up the squad

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye but I'll wait until the UEFA Conference group draw before throwing in the towel. If a Rangers team who are regularly embarrassed in the Scottish Cup and League Cup can do so well in the Europa League, i'm sure we can give a decent account of ourselves in the UEFA conference. Bodo / Glimt are the new aspiration...

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The better we do in Europe the more money we will make so it would be crazy not to power up the squad

Just take a look at the qualifiers from the conference league this season. You really want us to blow the lot on the off chance that we might get lucky in a group draw and qualify for a further 2 leg knock out. There isn’t one qualifier there you could bank money on us finishing above. This is not a Mickey Mouse cup. It’s a tier below elite and we’d need to spend millions to sit with a squad that will advance. Christ sake guys get real and temper the ambition. This isn’t about one tilt at Europe, this is about sustainable progression starting at the bottom with a nice adventure

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aye but I'll wait until the UEFA Conference group draw before throwing in the towel. If a Rangers team who are regularly embarrassed in the Scottish Cup and League Cup can do so well in the Europa League, i'm sure we can give a decent account of ourselves in the UEFA conference. Bodo / Glimt are the new aspiration...

Rangers, how ever much you want to hide from it, are miles ahead of us in terms of player quality and being equipped for European football. That’s not even worthy arguing about. That’s what happens when your in Europe year after year and you have the budget to compete. 6-7 weeks ago they schooled us

Edited by JimmyCant

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just take a look at the qualifiers from the conference league this season. You really want us to blow the lot on the off chance that we might get lucky in a group draw and qualify for a further 2 leg knock out. There isn’t one qualifier there you could bank money on us finishing above. This is not a Mickey Mouse cup. It’s a tier below elite and we’d need to spend millions to sit with a squad that will advance. Christ sake guys get real and temper the ambition. This isn’t about one tilt at Europe, this is about sustainable progression starting at the bottom with a nice adventure

What do you mean blow the lot you spend what you have available on the best squad you can and you use that squad to win as many games as you can that is how it works

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Rangers, how ever much you want to hide from it, are miles ahead of us in terms of player quality and being equipped for European football. That’s not even worthy arguing about. That’s what happens when your in Europe year after year and you have the budget to compete. 6-7 weeks ago they schooled us

Exactly. But they get papped out of the domestic competitions by Hearts, Hibs, St. Johnstone, St Mirren and Aberdeen. No reason we can't pap some big names out the Conference.

Just now, Sooks said:

What do you mean blow the lot you spend what you have available on the best squad you can and you use that squad to win as many games as you can that is how it works

Precisely. we’ll have £6 million extra next year hopefully. Sorry but spending all that on players won’t make us a European force to be reckoned with. That’s something we can aspire to but we need to spend clever.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Precisely. we’ll have £6 million extra next year hopefully. Sorry but spending all that on players won’t make us a European force to be reckoned with. That’s something we can aspire to but we need to spend clever.

I know we need to spend clever but the clever way to spend is to buy players who give you a chance of winning games and making more money and winning silverware 

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Exactly. But they get papped out of the domestic competitions by Hearts, Hibs, St. Johnstone, St Mirren and Aberdeen. No reason we can't pap some big names out the Conference.

In a one off tie, of course big teams lose now and again, even us. But this is a home and away league where you can get the odd surprises but generally the best 2 teams finish 1st and 2nd. YES we’ll have a chance of getting out of an easier group  but you don’t blow a big payout gambling on that happening, you spend it wisely, you take wee steps, you get European experience and you learn how it works. it’s a learning experience, there are dozens of examples across Europe  of this being the way to progress

4 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

On loan from Rangers & a regular U21 international for Scotland.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I am not a financial whizz so can any body answer this for me ……. Do football clubs pay tax on profits 

Yes they do. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yes they do. 

Okay thanks so in that case I would prefer is to make sure any money we make is invested in players so that they can potentially make us more money next season again or failing that infrastructure

Just now, Sooks said:

Okay thanks so in that case I would prefer is to make sure any money we make is invested in players so that they can potentially make us more money next season again or failing that infrastructure

Most big companies will have some sort of strategy on how much they hold in cash and other liquid assets. Only a minority would want to hold a lot of cash while most would want to re-invest (as you say) to increase future profits. 

Mr Elwood P

In a one off tie, of course big teams lose now and again, even us. But this is a home and away league where you can get the odd surprises but generally the best 2 teams finish 1st and 2nd. YES we’ll have a chance of getting out of an easier group  but you don’t blow a big payout gambling on that happening, you spend it wisely, you take wee steps, you get European experience and you learn how it works. it’s a learning experience, there are dozens of examples across Europe  of this being the way to progress

Yeah but I'm not talking about the money. I'm talking about the defeatist attitude that we're out the group before we even get there. Loads of very beatable teams at that stage of the Uefa Conference. My point was that if Rangers can get past some big European names, surely we have a fighting chance in the 3rd tier competition? Horrible attitude to assume we're out before we even play the Europa League play off game or see the eventual draw ...

johnking123
21 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Aye the way I read Robbie's comments wasn't that we'd sign 3-4 players, it was that we'd increase the squad by that many.  So if 3 leave, we need 6/7.

We know Souttar is leaving, let's assume 3 of the loanees will leave.  That's a requirement already for around 7 signings!  Mental really, but in actual fact, given our core squad, that's not a big turnover for us now.

Again, reserve football surely helps as we can also have kids ready and available to us.  And I wonder if any being considered promoted to first team (Smith for example) would be counted in that 7 required "signings"

Yes, but think some of our youth players will be added to our squad.  

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yeah but I'm not talking about the money. I'm talking about the defeatist attitude that we're out the group before we even get there. Loads of very beatable teams at that stage of the Uefa Conference. My point was that if Rangers can get past some big European names, surely we have a fighting chance in the 3rd tier competition? Horrible attitude to assume we're out before we even play the Europa League play off game or see the eventual draw ...

Yes winning games and competing is what a football club is all about and it should be the aim every season to do as well as possible in every competition

Good post.

Bazzas right boot

You can still plan to win games. 

The rest of the post is common sense and something you should remember when you decide we should be competing with the OF, get beat in Europe and get all in a rage when we get beat in the league or lose a cup game. 

Wee steps are the way to progress, something Bob has been fantastic at doing with us. 

He's been the best at that since Doddie- continious improvement. 

9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

who’s talking about conquering Europe ?  If we are to make money £3-4m then we enhance the squad and try and be competitive. Move up a level. Think that’s all anybody is expecting/hoping for

Edited by 1971fozzy

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

who’s talking about conquering Europe ?  If we are to make money £3-4m then we enhance the squad and try and be competitive. Move up a level. Think that’s all anybody is expecting/hoping for

Yes exactly this also people completely underestimate the effect that playing in Europe and international games has on player development and now that we have got most of our better players signed up on long term deals we watch them grow and improve 

18 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Exactly, I actually think Jimmy C is also correct. Everyone is!

We get dosh in, we're in a position to spend it directly on squad improvement. However that doesn't mean spunking on big names for a hopeful bash at glory.

It means adding £3/4mill to a 2 or 3 year rolling player budget and upping the general level of player we bring in. Maybe a fee here or there but a couple grand more p/w too

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes exactly this also people completely underestimate the effect that playing in Europe and international games has on player development and now that we have got most of our better players signed up on long term deals we watch them grow and improve 

Good point

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

We get dosh in, we're in a position to spend it directly on squad improvement. However that doesn't mean spunking on big names for a hopeful bash at glory.

It means adding £3/4mill to a 2 or 3 year rolling player budget and upping the general level of player we bring in. Maybe a fee here or there but a couple grand more p/w too

Good point

Tbf, I don't think anyone at Hearts will be splashing the cash for a "hopeful bash" at glory in Europe or to win the league, same with spunking cash on big names. 

Don't think anyone is suggesting this. 

It's around £5m, not £250m.

They'll use it to improve the team and club. 

Just like we did this season. 

It does mean will need a bigger and better squad tho, really unsure why that is up for debate.

Most sensible posters, like yourself have talked about this small, incremental improvement for the past two years and European group stage football will help that. 

It's good to see that after two years, that other posters have suddenly realised that this is the most realistic way to improve as well. 

16 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Mbappe is out of the equation. 

PSG have offered him a signing on fee off £150m and a net wage of £21m a season. 

On the week UEFA announce the new financial fair play ammendments. 

It's almost a piss 

Hopefully Mr Anderson gets the wallet oot! Would make it back in spades when we win the league next season.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, gregzy2k7 said:

Hopefully Mr Anderson gets the wallet oot! Would make it back in spades when we win the league next season.

£200m.

We'd need 10iar

12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Good point

It is something that fans just knew back in the day but now it is largely disregarded that international caps and European games take players up a level it is no happy accident that we are largely signing players at an age where they have rooms to improve

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is something that fans just knew back in the day but now it is largely disregarded that international caps and European games take players up a level it is no happy accident that we are largely signing players at an age where they have rooms to improve

*room to improve not rooms

Do not want to turn this in to a nother hotel debate 

Bazzas right boot
25 minutes ago, Sooks said:

*room to improve not rooms

Do not want to turn this in to a nother hotel debate 

😂😂🤣

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Most big companies will have some sort of strategy on how much they hold in cash and other liquid assets. Only a minority would want to hold a lot of cash while most would want to re-invest (as you say) to increase future profits. 

Or in the case of Man U, pay large dividends to their owners

Just now, RobNox said:

Or in the case of Man U, pay large dividends to their owners

Yeah, there is that. Thankfully our club doesn’t have greedy owners. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah, there is that. Thankfully our club doesn’t have greedy owners. 

You have clearly never seen me at dinner time

11 hours ago, iainmac said:

On loan from Rangers & a regular U21 international for Scotland.

He has been on loan three times in a row and has turned 22 years old. Is he going to get an opportunity at Sevco? Might be worth an offer if he has the potential and, if I were him I'd being grabbing it with both hands, as he is far more likely to get first team football here.

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Good point

To be clear here because what I have said is being taken wrongly. Of course I’m in favour of improving the squad and at 22 outfield players it’s not big enough. The point I was trying to make was not to over increase the numbers just because you have European football. I don’t want to see a squad of 28-30. We can only register 25 for Europe anyway (I think that’s still the rule)

Quality we need, most certainly. What we don’t need is 8-10 hanging about the place rarely kicking a ball.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***