*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Robbie in the papers tonight saying we've started talks with a "a couple" of the boys we on loan, about staying beyond the end of the season. 

🤞🏻 Simms & Cochrane...? 

I would guess Cochrane and Woodburn

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Absolute Scenes

Surely simms. Scored more than Woodburn in less games, would be mad not to try and keep him. His partnership with the forward guys can only get better

Rick Sanchez

I think we need someone with a bit more pace than Simms tbh. And I've been crying out for Kingsley at left back.

Would take both as squad players though.

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Robbie also talked about only adding 3 or 4 new players.

That's Robbie speak for 5 or 6. He always says much less than he actually wants.

Batistuta87
40 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Robbie also talked about only adding 3 or 4 new players.

I suspect he's downplaying it / keeping his cards close to his chest. We need to get shot of Ross Stewart and bring in someone better, we need to replace Souttar and Moore, and we need to upgrade at least one winger as a bare minimum so there's four already. Considering we also need a bit more depth for a charge on a European competition, I'd say we need at least 6, in addition to two of the loan players coming back. 

InternationalJambo
1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

You what?

Make no mistake about it we want to keep Woodburn at Hearts. 

Just now, InternationalJambo said:

Have you any idea why?

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, InternationalJambo said:

I wouldn’t be against this. We know he has quality. We know he’s talented but we’ve yet to see the fullness of it. He’s shown in flashes that he can make an impact here. Keeping him (if he’s not costing a lot) isn’t the worst idea. 

InternationalJambo
5 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Have you any idea why?

No, I couldn’t speak for the management team. My personal view is that he has the potential to push on, he could net us a lot of money. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

InternationalJambo
22 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I suspect he's downplaying it / keeping his cards close to his chest. We need to get shot of Ross Stewart and bring in someone better, we need to replace Souttar and Moore, and we need to upgrade at least one winger as a bare minimum so there's four already. Considering we also need a bit more depth for a charge on a European competition, I'd say we need at least 6, in addition to two of the loan players coming back. 

Almost as if the replacement is right down the corridor 🤔

11 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Have you any idea why?

Because he is a very talented football player who could yet become great if he just manages to find himself and besides he is nowhere near as bad at the moment as folk like to pretend

Rocky jamboa

I'd keep Cochrane as he works well with Kingsley. I know he's went off the boil a bit but I thought he was brilliant at the start of the season.

Simms on another loan deal, or permanent deal if we could get him for a few hundred thousand. 

I like Moore as well and Woodburn definitely has something about him. Wouldn't be averse to keeping all 4.

9 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Almost as if the replacement is right down the corridor 🤔

Stop talking in riddles man!

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Why Woodburn??

Potential. He isn't going to make it at Liverpool but coul do well if committed up here. Simms still has a future particularly if Everton get relegated, so I'd be surprised if he stays. I wouldn't bet against us trying for Moore either.

Mr Elwood P
10 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Potential. He isn't going to make it at Liverpool but coul do well if committed up here. Simms still has a future particularly if Everton get relegated, so I'd be surprised if he stays. I wouldn't bet against us trying for Moore either.

1. Simms

2. Woodburn 

3. Cochrane

151. Moore 

That's my preference for keeping the loan signings. Think we can do far better than Cochrane and Moore. Simms is class and definitely one to try and keep. Woodburn has the potential. I have a nagging feeling he's going to go to an English League One or Championship club and hit a run of form.  

31 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

1. Simms

2. Woodburn 

3. Cochrane

151. Moore 

That's my preference for keeping the loan signings. Think we can do far better than Cochrane and Moore. Simms is class and definitely one to try and keep. Woodburn has the potential. I have a nagging feeling he's going to go to an English League One or Championship club and hit a run of form.  

Yes this

Can only think Woodburn has impressed in training because he has shown very little in games. Nor has he impressed when on loan at other clubs. My guess is his agent would be looking for a hefty wage to keep him. Would much rather look elsewhere personally. Not sure about Simms tbh but willing to give him more time. Cochrane is steady if unremarkable but sometimes gets bullied. Have to believe we could probs do better.

Ainsley Harriott
8 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Bar one good game he hasn't shown a single ounce of desire to do do well for us or quality. You would think he would use a loan spell to try and impress. I would hate to see him on a 3 year contract with a decent wage he would probably offer even less. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Sooks said:

Because he is a very talented football player who could yet become great if he just manages to find himself and besides he is nowhere near as bad at the moment as folk like to pretend

If he hadn't played well in 2 games for Liverpool and Wales 2 or 3 years ago no one would think this. 

He's living of his Liverpool reputation. 

Think Harry Cochrane for us. 

JKB does tend to overplay things tho, he is good technically. 

If he would sign for a vastly reduced salary and be happy to be 1 of 4/5 forward players and fight for his place at Hearts I'd think like you, but Tbh he'll have offers far closer to home in that range.

If he wants anywhere near his reported £10k a week then he's simply not worth it. 

Tbh, imo he's too lightweight and far too one footed to realise any possible potential he had. 

He'd be very easy to defend against. 

13 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Don't be surprised if we try making a bid for Simms 

I'd be very happy with that.  Boy has the feeling of someone who could batter in 20 goals imo.  Has plenty other attributes too, his running and power alone simply get us up the park when we need it.  Not a guy defenders will want to play against.

The Woodburn debate.  Being described as a dud etc.  People need to be so polar don't they!  He hasn't torn it up, but you can see he has ability is the truth.  If the coaching team have liked his attitude - SEEING HIM DAY IN DAY OUT - then I'll trust them.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon Forrest is Alan’s dad isn’t he? 

Dunno, in that family I cannae see the wood from the trees. 

Bazzas right boot
On 06/04/2022 at 16:32, bistokid said:

Barrie McKay has spent his entire career playing at a far higher level than Forrest.

Far high level than the top flight in Scotland? 

34 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Gordon Forrest is Alan’s dad isn’t he? 

Definitely not but he is James Forrest at Celtic's little brother 

10 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

What ‘charge’ are we having in Europe ?

Realistically we’ve got a play off we’ll lose and a conference group we won’t get out of.

Given that we won’t have the LC group stages we’re down for about 4 extra games on last season.

We’re not going to ‘volumise’ the squad for 4 extra games. We’ll increase the quality in the starting 11 and it’s fringes and a few players will leave. There might be a few comings and goings but the squad size isn’t going up by much. We don’t need it to.

10 hours ago, InternationalJambo said:

I’d be astonished if we kept him. He’s had plenty chances. He is either not interested in being here or he’s simply not good enough often enough.

We needed a striker when we took him. What we got was a squad player and we had to get Simms in as a direct result of Woodburn being shite.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
9 hours ago, Sooks said:

Woodburn has been absolutely dreadful recently.

In the RC game, apart from his very first touch of the ball, he played like an amateur who didn’t know what he was supposed to do. As he has done in most matches, he gave up possession too easily and put our defence in trouble. If RN sees something in training (apart from very fleeting moments of quality) the lad is unable to replicate it in matches. 

3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Woodburn has been absolutely dreadful recently.

In the RC game, apart from his very first touch of the ball, he played like an amateur who didn’t know what he was supposed to do. As he has done in most matches, he gave up possession too easily and put our defence in trouble. If RN sees something in training (apart from very fleeting moments of quality) the lad is unable to replicate it in matches. 

He has been a bit poor recently I agree especially when he was robbed of the ball when trying to break he has a lot of work to do to turn his talent in to something consistent but if he manages that he will be a very good player indeed 

Those slating Woodburn need to look at Halkett now to see what some decent coaching, confidence and support can do for a player. He’s clearly talented and could well be a different player next season. 

33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Realistically we’ve got a play off we’ll lose and a conference group we won’t get out of.

Given that we won’t have the LC group stages we’re down for about 4 extra games on last season.

We’re not going to ‘volumise’ the squad for 4 extra games. We’ll increase the quality in the starting 11 and it’s fringes and a few players will leave. There might be a few comings and goings but the squad size isn’t going up by much. We don’t need it to.

Now that is just the sort of ambition we need at this club : - D

My own personal opinion on Woodburn is that while he's not really done it, he clearly has ability. I also think he has a very good attitude off the park, looking at how he celebrates goals even as a sub and helps his teammates. He's young with the potential to get a lot better, if it clicks in other areas I don't think the ability is in question. As long as he's not a top earner, I'd be pretty happy to keep him on.

Boyces beard
2 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

My own personal opinion on Woodburn is that while he's not really done it, he clearly has ability. I also think he has a very good attitude off the park, looking at how he celebrates goals even as a sub and helps his teammates. He's young with the potential to get a lot better, if it clicks in other areas I don't think the ability is in question. As long as he's not a top earner, I'd be pretty happy to keep him on.

A good assessment Bob, we have only seen glimpses of the ability the lad has. He has also stood up well in the minutes he had pre season at Liverpool and has also done it for his National team at a very young age. Granted he has not done it at Hearts but anyone who thinks he is not of the quality to be a Hearts player are quite simply wrong.

If we could somehow manage to got him to join us on a wage that suits Hearts then i have no doubt he would be a huge success. His ability is not in question.

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Bound to be one branch or another of the same family. Where are their roots? East or west coast? Fir the record it makes no difference if he's a decent player.

Leave it out! He's Tiger Woods' nephew. Saw him training on the beech at Gullane.

jamboinglasgow
22 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Would agree with that. I think he is lacking a bit of confidence.  I also think he needs a run of games, something which we are not giving him (but can be hard for wingers to get.) Woodburn has the talent, his early games for us showed a player with a lot of ability. I can take or leave him next season. If as you say his wages were not too much then it would be understandable as if we can get him to click he can be very useful. But he has blown more cold than hot this season.

I will trust the recruitment team and Robbie on whatever they decide.

1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

A good assessment Bob, we have only seen glimpses of the ability the lad has. He has also stood up well in the minutes he had pre season at Liverpool and has also done it for his National team at a very young age. Granted he has not done it at Hearts but anyone who thinks he is not of the quality to be a Hearts player are quite simply wrong.

If we could somehow manage to got him to join us on a wage that suits Hearts then i have no doubt he would be a huge success. His ability is not in question.

Ewan Murray spoke about this on scarves around the funnel , this season he’s played more senior football than he has during all his previous loans .

22 now, finished at Liverpool. He hasn’t made his mark anywhere (including here) but maybe a two year deal with an option for a 3rd at a club where he knows the management team would bring a bit of stability and better performances.

Squad game next year so might be a decent option who if he kicks on we could sell on for a bit of money.

Wouldn’t lose sleep if he left but wouldn’t be upset if he stayed under the right circumstances.

Batistuta87
59 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Pretty sure that if Hibs don't win the cup, regardless of whether or not we win it ourselves we're in the UEL qualifiers with a parachute into the UECL groups. That means a minimum of two qualifiers and six group games.

We're not going to significantly increase the squad size but it would be sensible to have a couple more than we did this season because we have been a bit thin on the ground at times. We really can't have that if we want to achieve anything in Europe and not just be the whipping boys of whichever group we end up in. I'd actually rather we increased the squad size by a couple anyway so we do have a little extra depth.

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Will have 3-4 extra outfield player's. Squad of 22/23 outfield and 2/3 goalkeepers. 

Aye the way I read Robbie's comments wasn't that we'd sign 3-4 players, it was that we'd increase the squad by that many.  So if 3 leave, we need 6/7.

We know Souttar is leaving, let's assume 3 of the loanees will leave.  That's a requirement already for around 7 signings!  Mental really, but in actual fact, given our core squad, that's not a big turnover for us now.

Again, reserve football surely helps as we can also have kids ready and available to us.  And I wonder if any being considered promoted to first team (Smith for example) would be counted in that 7 required "signings"

31 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Pretty sure that if Hibs don't win the cup, regardless of whether or not we win it ourselves we're in the UEL qualifiers with a parachute into the UECL groups. That means a minimum of two qualifiers and six group games.

We're not going to significantly increase the squad size but it would be sensible to have a couple more than we did this season because we have been a bit thin on the ground at times. We really can't have that if we want to achieve anything in Europe and not just be the whipping boys of whichever group we end up in. I'd actually rather we increased the squad size by a couple anyway so we do have a little extra depth.

The squad size numerically is probably fine where it is. It’s the quality in the starting 11 that’s the most important thing. That naturally increases the bench and fringe quality. Bring in 3-4 starters in areas where we are weakest, then those who have been starting become the subs and back up and then you weed out the bottom 3-4 who are just never going to get game time.  To me that’s the most sensible way to build a squad over a period. This signing 8 or 9 all the time isn’t sustainable. Apart from which it makes youth development a complete waste of time and money.

13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The squad size numerically is probably fine where it is. It’s the quality in the starting 11 that’s the most important thing. That naturally increases the bench and fringe quality. Bring in 3-4 starters in areas where we are weakest, then those who have been starting become the subs and back up and then you weed out the bottom 3-4 who are just never going to get game time.  To me that’s the most sensible way to build a squad over a period. This signing 8 or 9 all the time isn’t sustainable. Apart from which it makes youth development a complete waste of time and money.

Yes and no mate.

Squad is too wee when we have euro group games to play too.

Where I do agree is signing guys aiming for them to be better than the current encumbent of that position, who then needs to up their game or become a backup/alternate without loss of quality on what we have.  Makes sense.  And if squad still reasonably tight on numbers, plus those extra Euro games, you'd think keeping everyone happy should be easy enough.

Also agree on bulking squad a bit with kids.  Playing Connor Smith at home to Dundee shouldn't weaken us.  It really shouldn't.  A 23 man squad which includes Smith, Pollock and maybe McGill (only issue being they're all similar position, but you get the gist) would be great imo.

As far as the signing 8/9 players every season.  It's easy to sign certainly 6, 7 even 8 and that not actually be a big turnover.  We have a pretty settled core of a squad.  Think about Gordon, Halks, Smith, Natty, Kingsley, Cam, Beni, Sibbick, McKay, Boyce, plus others still all there, you can replace quite a number of those fringe players outwith this group with guys more of the quality or higher than those core guys.  For this season, that's not a big turnover really.

Bazzas right boot

Mbappe is out of the equation. 

PSG have offered him a signing on fee off £150m and a net wage of £21m a season. 

On the week UEFA announce the new financial fair play ammendments. 

It's almost a piss take. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***