*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

On 15/04/2022 at 17:26, Cruyff said:

The only players outwith the OF or Hibs that are good enough to play for Hearts imo is, Calvin Ramsey, Lewis Ferguson, Regan Charles-Cook, Joseph Hungbo, Ian Harkes, Jack Fitzwater, Alan Forrest, Bruce Anderson, Connor Ronan & Kevin Van Veen. 

Most of them would be squad players at best. 

I don't see it with van veen , scored a few goals but is a big donkey

I don't really see why folk seem to rate him. 

I rate Hungbo but he will be back down south when his loan ends.

Edited by Alan_R

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

RustyRightPeg

After yesterday, it puts us in a completely different pool of players on our shortlist. 

Knowing Savage, he will have 3 or 4 lists of players depending on where we finished in league, Europe etc etc. 

Another exciting summer ahead!!!

jamboinglasgow
8 hours ago, OTT said:

Definitely. I do hope the SMG money serves as a cautionary tale and we're sensible with it. With Gordon, Halkett, Kingsley, Atkinson, Devlin, Beni and McKay we have the fundamentals of a good team. Just a case of adding a couple of players. Think we need to look to improve on Boyce and need to figure out if we can keep Simms next season. 

Would agree with that. The danger that we spend all this money this summer and give lots of high wages for multiple year contracts. If we dont do well next season and dont get into group stage football in the 2023/24 season while paying so much out in wages then you have a problem. I suspect that we will use the money to push a higher level but in a way that we will keep the money allocated for the players over their contract, unless we get the money again. So with a big of fag packet maths, say we were to really push out for a top player and end paying them out on a £10k a week contract (which also can push other players at the club wanting to raise their contract) then if they were given a 3 year contract then you are paying them £1.56m over the length of it. 

As you say we have a strong group of players already on long term contracts which helps with our current position. We need a bit more squad depth to be doing both European and Domestic football, so makes sense to bring a player like Alan Forrest who is a proven Premiership player to build the squad up. I can see us targeting a few EPL reserve players like we did with Beni, and a few loans (which help keep costs down.) Then we will push the boat out for 2-3 really quality players, who can make a difference. A balanced squad which some players may not sound as (for want of a better word) sexy as others but are vital to the ultimate outcome for the season.

Captain Sausage

Given we’ll be playing twice a week through to Christmas, it’s critical we minimise attrition. 

Haring needs a contract extension. We need to look at extending Simms loan. I wouldn’t mind seeing Cochrane extended either. 

I don’t see it with Woodburn or Moore and we are losing Souttar so he will need replaced. 

For me, assuming the above, we probably need:

2x centre backs to replace JS and TM

1x left back to for Cochrane to compete with

1x centre mid. Beni is until possibly December so we are light in here.

2x wingers/CAM - another couple of Barrie McKays would do nicely. 

Thats 6 players minimum I think we need just to improve. Think it’s a good year to have Europe guaranteed til Christmas. With the World Cup in December, we might be an option for players to get into the shop window that otherwise wouldn’t think twice about Edinburgh. 

In Savage we trust. 

Rocky jamboa

I hope we keep Cochrane and Simms. If we do, we need:-

- a very good CH to replace Souttar

- another CH as cover. I'd be happy with keeping Moore for that

- an attacking midfielder

- a left sided attacking player

- another striker 

11 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Given we’ll be playing twice a week through to Christmas, it’s critical we minimise attrition. 

Haring needs a contract extension. We need to look at extending Simms loan. I wouldn’t mind seeing Cochrane extended either. 

I don’t see it with Woodburn or Moore and we are losing Souttar so he will need replaced. 

For me, assuming the above, we probably need:

2x centre backs to replace JS and TM

1x left back to for Cochrane to compete with

1x centre mid. Beni is until possibly December so we are light in here.

2x wingers/CAM - another couple of Barrie McKays would do nicely. 

Thats 6 players minimum I think we need just to improve. Think it’s a good year to have Europe guaranteed til Christmas. With the World Cup in December, we might be an option for players to get into the shop window that otherwise wouldn’t think twice about Edinburgh. 

In Savage we trust. 

I wonder if any of the younger players might be ready to make the step up into the first team squad, which would reduce the number we need to bring in on transfers.

I know Connor Smith has been given a 1 year extension and Robbie was saying we'd give him a run out in the pre-season games before deciding whether to bring him into the squad, or look to put him on loan to a Championship club for 6 months and re-assess the situation after that.  I think he is an attacking type midfielder.

We also have Finlay Pollock who got game time last pre-season and impressed before going back out on loan.  He's another attacking midfield player.

Chris Hamilton has apparently been playing well at Arbroath, plays as CB but I seem to recall @Footballfirst saying he had doubts about him making it with us in that position, but could possibly become a good defensive midfield option.

Euan Henderson is probably in the last roll of the dice camp, he was banging in goals for Alloa earlier in the season, don't know if he's kept that up.  Another one we can give a run out to in pre-season and see if he merits being called into the squad.  If not, probably released as it would seem pointless holding onto him just to put out on loan again.

There are a few others out on loan, Logan, Denholm, Darge, Watson, McGill (who I've heard could be a real prospect).

There others in the U18s who we could give a run out in the next 5 games, Kirk has already made an appearance.  Who knows, we might throw one of these lads in and he turns out to be another Aaron Hickey!

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Chris Hamilton has apparently been playing well at Arbroath, plays as CB but I seem to recall @Footballfirst saying he had doubts about him making it with us in that position, but could possibly become a good defensive midfield option.

Dick Campbell has been playing Chris Hamilton as a holding midfielder and has been doing well.

I don't think we will see him back at Hearts.

Edited by Footballfirst

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Dick Campbell has been playing Chris Hamilton as a holding midfielder and has been doing well.

I don't think we will see him back at Hearts.

Thanks FF, I did recall you having doubts about him making it at Hearts.  He might still be playing Premiership football next season though!

I mentioned a number of other youngsters, do you have a view on any players that might be capable of making it into the first team squad next season?  I know you pay a lot of attention to the younger players, so any insight you can provide would be welcomed.  It would be good to start seeing a regular flow of players coming through from the Academy.

Tin hat on here. Considine is leaving Aberdeen on a free this summer. Worth a punt for a couple of seasons?

Seasoned Pro, knows the league inside out and was good enough for a Scotland call up and played well when he played. 

Obviously at the end of his career but wouldn't be a bad addition to the squad.

Rick Sanchez
5 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

Tin hat on here. Considine is leaving Aberdeen on a free this summer. Worth a punt for a couple of seasons?

Seasoned Pro, knows the league inside out and was good enough for a Scotland call up and played well when he played. 

He's got Kilmarnock or Cove Rangers written all over him. We're shopping in Waitrose now 🤑

4 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

He doesn't really fit in with our recruitment model.  He's 35 and is on a downward career trajectory.  We're looking at younger players who have ambition and potential to play at a higher level and who could earn us transfer fees if they do well at Hearts.  

Central Belt 1874
4 minutes ago, RobNox said:

He doesn't really fit in with our recruitment model.  He's 35 and is on a downward career trajectory.  We're looking at younger players who have ambition and potential to play at a higher level and who could earn us transfer fees if they do well at Hearts.  

I agree, and considering we have European games coming up, I'd like to see us try and attract defenders who are comfortable on the ball and taking players on. Guys who have something more than the average SPFL pro. 

2 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

I agree, and considering we have European games coming up, I'd like to see us try and attract defenders who are comfortable on the ball and taking players on. Guys who have something more than the average SPFL pro. 

Agreed.  We have moved beyond the Levein era of bringing in stop gaps who were once very good players, but end up doing nothing with us.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

What's great is that budget can now be set for next season and focus can be tightened on targets from now.

Completely agree.  Had Hibs won the semi-final then we would have had 5 weeks before we knew if we were in the group stages automatically or only had a chance. We can now start early on signing targets and be able to say if they join us they will get at least 8 European games next season, which can come at a time where if they are going out of contract they are weighing up offers from their existing club. As you say the budgets are known in advance, was thinking today that with the split of the ticket money from semi and final would be easily over a million, means that the recruitment team can be authorised to pursue the higher targets and Joe and Robbie can start charming these players.

Selkirkhmfc1874

We Need 2 Centre Backs, Left Back, Central Midfielder, Striker Maybe 2 if we can't Keep Hold Of Simms And Have The Likes Of Connor Smith , Finley Polock And One Or Two More Round About The First Team 

22 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Completely agree.  Had Hibs won the semi-final then we would have had 5 weeks before we knew if we were in the group stages automatically or only had a chance. We can now start early on signing targets and be able to say if they join us they will get at least 8 European games next season, which can come at a time where if they are going out of contract they are weighing up offers from their existing club. As you say the budgets are known in advance, was thinking today that with the split of the ticket money from semi and final would be easily over a million, means that the recruitment team can be authorised to pursue the higher targets and Joe and Robbie can start charming these players.

It certainly puts us in a strong position.  From what I gather from an interview with Ann Budge way back, we budget on a fairly conservative basis.  So we would not have been budgeting this season on finishing 3rd or making the cup final.  The extra money we've made from doing so will strengthen our finances, added to the minimum guaranteed income from European group football.

Our recruitment is night and day compared to what it was previously, I have every faith that we'll use the extra income wisely.  Previously, we could easily have wasted a big chunk of it on poor signings.

7 hours ago, neilnunb said:

There's not one Aberdeen player I'd want. They're all ****ing pish!

I agree, would possibly take Ramsey as he might go on to have a decent career, although that's still up for debate just now, but I'm not seeing it with the clamor on here to sign Ferguson, he only scores pens and wouldn't even get in our first 11 imo.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I agree, would possibly take Ramsey as he might go on to have a decent career, although that's still up for debate just now, but I'm not seeing it with the clamor on here to sign Ferguson, he only scores pens and wouldn't even get in our first 11 imo.

Ferguson is a good player. I’m not putting him down in any way because he’s been immense for us the last few weeks but he’d play over Haring IMO. 

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

You're right he wouldn't be a bad addition to the squad - he would be a ****ing terrible addition to the squad.

He's 35 years old, has been out all season with an ACL injury, and clearly thinks he's a bit of a ticket based on his latest contract demands, despite not having kicked a ball all season.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Would be absolutely fuming if we were even thinking about it to be brutally honest.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, RobNox said:

Thanks FF, I did recall you having doubts about him making it at Hearts.  He might still be playing Premiership football next season though!

I mentioned a number of other youngsters, do you have a view on any players that might be capable of making it into the first team squad next season?  I know you pay a lot of attention to the younger players, so any insight you can provide would be welcomed.  It would be good to start seeing a regular flow of players coming through from the Academy.

I'm on record as saying that there is a dearth of talent coming through for the next couple of years. What I like to see is an 18 year old showing that he has the ability to play with the first team, but more so showing that they are worthy of that place.  We have had Pollock and Kirk make their debuts, so they are there or thereabouts, but I don't see others looking like they are ready for that step up at the moment. I would like to be proved wrong in that regard, but in many ways it is up to the kids themselves to show that they have the talent, application and desire.

However I am more hopeful for some of the younger kids who are currently in the 12-16 age range. We do have individual kids who stand out against their peer groups and teams that are better than the opposition, including the OF. 

For those who are currently out on loan, one or two may have a future, but I think most of them will end up playing at a lower level than Hearts. 

I watched an EOS game yesterday. There were six ex-Hearts youths playing, only one of whom had played for the first team.  That's how it plays out for most of the youngsters going through the academy system.  

Batistuta87
8 hours ago, neilnunb said:

There's not one Aberdeen player I'd want. They're all ****ing pish!

Same. I don't think any of them are any better than anyone we have at the moment - and that includes Ferguson and Ramsay. 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm on record as saying that there is a dearth of talent coming through for the next couple of years. What I like to see is an 18 year old showing that he has the ability to play with the first team, but more so showing that they are worthy of that place.  We have had Pollock and Kirk make their debuts, so they are there or thereabouts, but I don't see others looking like they are ready for that step up at the moment. I would like to be proved wrong in that regard, but in many ways it is up to the kids themselves to show that they have the talent, application and desire.

However I am more hopeful for some of the younger kids who are currently in the 12-16 age range. We do have individual kids who stand out against their peer groups and teams that are better than the opposition, including the OF. 

For those who are currently out on loan, one or two may have a future, but I think most of them will end up playing at a lower level than Hearts. 

I watched an EOS game yesterday. There were six ex-Hearts youths playing, only one of whom had played for the first team.  That's how it plays out for most of the youngsters going through the academy system.  

Thanks again FF.  I'm aware that some of the younger age groups did well in tournaments this season, correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 13s and 14s won their tournaments and the 16s made a final which I think is still to be played.  I think we were the only club who had teams progress from the group stages in all 4 age groups.

I'm encouraged by the developments that are taking place at the Academy since Joe Savage came in, he seems to be beefing things up there and while it clearly takes a lot longer to see the end product, if he can have the same impact as he clearly has had on our recruitment, then the future looks bright.

There's nothing better than seeing players come through the ranks and establishing themselves in the first team, even better if they end up progressing even further and bring us in big transfer fees, as long as it's not to Celtic or Rangers!

3 hours ago, RobNox said:

What is our recruitment model?

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What is our recruitment model?

Younger players, early to mid 20s, with the potential and ambition to play at a higher level.  Essentially, players who may still be on an upward trajectory in their career, who see us as a potential stepping stone to achieve a higher level so will put in performances, as the better they perform for us, the better their chance of progressing.  Players who we can class as 'assets' in that they have potential sell on value if they do well at Hearts.

As opposed to players who have already passed their peak, are on a downward trajectory, were once playing at a higher level, but will never reach that level again and have no hope of ever playing at a higher level than Hearts.  Or players who once played at a high level but have suffered from injuries, players we'd never have a chance of signing if they had stayed injury free, but we hope we can nurse them back to fitness.

Some of these signings might work out (Sow being a good example of nursing a player back to fitness) but the majority don't and we end up with a player with no real sell on value that we are saddled with and end up punting out on loan to at least recover a portion of their wages.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

Kind of guy you can throw in v most teams and he'll be better than average. 

Andy Halliday of defenders. 

7 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

Is he not about 36 Cove Rangers for him in the Championship next season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went on and got promotion with Zico in charge.

Watt-Zeefuik
17 hours ago, wavydavy said:

As Hearts fans we all like to moan about Beaton but he did us a big favour by not sending Taylor Moore off for his stupid two handed push on the Hibs player. He was already on a yellow and probably should have had another.

Absolutely uncalled for and that could have cost us the game. Devlin is another who gets involved needlessly and gets himself silly bookings. He does a lot of good work but really needs to try and get this part of him under control.

Sibbick has looked unsure and lacks a bit of confidence at the moment and doesn't look like the player we had on loan before.

I think he will benefit from a full pre-season when he is at full fitness. I don't think he had played much football prior to joining us.

This is harsh on Cammy IMO. He's not gotten a red all season, despite a bathtub full of yellows. He dances right along that line and as soon as the first yellow comes out, he winds his neck in. Devlin was the first one to get in Moore's face after the stupid push, when Moore wanted to come back and jaw it out with Beaton. Pushed him back and clearly said, shut the ---- up before you lose us a cup final.

7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

What about Flatman Sandilands and Stone

We still need an attacking, creative midfield player. Crying out for this for years. Also want to lose the fear that a team will score when they have a corner so defence definately needs work done. 

After the cup final we have 11 weeks till the europa league qualifier plus before that we have some cup games starting 9th July and league games starting the 30th July. Not a big break this year because of the World Cup. Plus I think we need a good back up keeper as well. Gordon nearly 40. Look at rangers yesterday with big Jon in goals. Plenty good keepers out there though maybe difficult to persuade them to come with big Craig here but plenty game next season to go round !!

jamboinglasgow
10 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

After the cup final we have 11 weeks till the europa league qualifier plus before that we have some cup games starting 9th July and league games starting the 30th July. Not a big break this year because of the World Cup. Plus I think we need a good back up keeper as well. Gordon nearly 40. Look at rangers yesterday with big Jon in goals. Plenty good keepers out there though maybe difficult to persuade them to come with big Craig here but plenty game next season to go round !!

Because we are in Europe, we get to skip the group stages of the League cup, so our first competitive game is in the league.

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Kind of guy you can throw in v most teams and he'll be better than average. 

Andy Halliday of defenders. 

That was my thinking. Do a job in a bigger squad and u know what ur getting. 

We will get a lot more injuries next year with European schedule. Robbie is going to need to be clever and choose when and who to rest more often.

Considine could come in comfortably vs the likes of St Mirren, Livi, County and Hibs and stroll the game. 

We can't just take punts on unknowns in every transfer and will need experienced heads. Don't see why a 1 year deal would be a bad idea.

We should just do what we did last summer but this time with a bigger budget to target slightly better players and we have more pulling power to attract that higher standard

What we did last year as a freshly promoted championship side took us to 3rd comfortably, a cup final and European group stages. Our recruitment works.

We have the same recruitment team, so use a similar strategy. Get slightly better than last time and perhaps a couple less loan signings and we'll be in a good place

Would iike to see  us targeting the best players from our rivals in the league and maybe 1 max 2 marque type game changers.

Now that we are confirmed in the conference league group stages,  we should now be able to attract a higher level of player to the club, I think Joe and the background team will be hard at work looking to upgrade our team/squad for next season,

I think we are gonna need 

1 x decent back up GK for Gordon.

2 x Centre backs

1 x CM (someone who can also chip in with a few goals)

1 x RW/RST (perhaps Ogashiwa?)

1 x ACM (someone who can rotate with Boyce as a number 10)

1 x CF (someone similar to Simms so we can rotate)

I also hope we can get Haring, Simms and Cochrane on permanent deals as well as the above.

:sweeet: canny wait for next season now!

Italian Lambretta

We should also be looking at getting a couple of players with good europa league experience like Scott Arfield or that type of player but maybe a bit younger.

1 hour ago, Gorgieshed said:

That was my thinking. Do a job in a bigger squad and u know what ur getting. 

We will get a lot more injuries next year with European schedule. Robbie is going to need to be clever and choose when and who to rest more often.

Considine could come in comfortably vs the likes of St Mirren, Livi, County and Hibs and stroll the game. 

We can't just take punts on unknowns in every transfer and will need experienced heads. Don't see why a 1 year deal would be a bad idea.

In years gone by it wouldn't have been because we didn't really have the finances to be looking at each signing as a first team starter, in the past we needed to sign the likes of a Popescu or a Dikamona to fill gaps in the squad, now we will be looking to sign players as 1st 11 players that demote an existing starter to the bench, see Beni and Devlin who when fit start ahead of Haring and Halliday, Atkinson starting ahead of Smith, Simms coming in and displacing Woodburn etc 

When we bring a centre half in it will be someone who when fit will play every game, with Robbie's intention to have a smaller squad with greater quality we just don't have the room for the likes of a Considine

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

What about Flatman Sandilands and Stone

IMO, neither of the first two are ready for first team football at the moment and I haven't seen Harry Stone play for a couple of seasons. Harry will be 20 on Wednesday, but as a goalkeeper will have more time to make an impact than an outfield player.

As I said in an earlier post, once they get to 18 it is very much up the individual youngsters to show the desire and the qualities needed to make it at Hearts.  

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

This is harsh on Cammy IMO. He's not gotten a red all season, despite a bathtub full of yellows. He dances right along that line and as soon as the first yellow comes out, he winds his neck in. Devlin was the first one to get in Moore's face after the stupid push, when Moore wanted to come back and jaw it out with Beaton. Pushed him back and clearly said, shut the ---- up before you lose us a cup final.

I don't think it is harsh on him. If he is not careful he is going to be one of those players that the refs will love to target. He gets far too involved when there is no need for it. There is nothing wrong with having a word with the ref but he is one of those players that a lot of refs wont like especially when he puts hos arm around them as he often does.  Maybe he should take a bit of the advise you say he gace to Taylor Moore onboard himself.

Don't get me wrong I like him as a player and he is totally committed and I wouldn't want him to curb any of that I just think he needs to show a bit more self control in certain situations before he becomes a refs target.

9 hours ago, RobNox said:

Younger players, early to mid 20s, with the potential and ambition to play at a higher level.  Essentially, players who may still be on an upward trajectory in their career, who see us as a potential stepping stone to achieve a higher level so will put in performances, as the better they perform for us, the better their chance of progressing.  Players who we can class as 'assets' in that they have potential sell on value if they do well at Hearts.

I think that was mentioned as a target, not a policy written in stone as some seem to think.  Considine acquitted himself well in his international debut and could be a decent squad player: for example, if Halkett doesn't make the final I would love to have a Considine or a Dikamona to step in

As opposed to players who have already passed their peak, are on a downward trajectory, were once playing at a higher level, but will never reach that level again and have no hope of ever playing at a higher level than Hearts.  Or players who once played at a high level but have suffered from injuries, players we'd never have a chance of signing if they had stayed injury free, but we hope we can nurse them back to fitness.

We're in a different ball game financially as compared with then when beggars couldn't be choosers.  Get over it and ditch the past.

Some of these signings might work out (Sow being a good example of nursing a player back to fitness) but the majority don't and we end up with a player with no real sell on value that we are saddled with and end up punting out on loan to at least recover a portion of their wages.

It's great when fans could tell in advance which signings will work out and which won't - or is it just hindsight?  Kastaneer and Gnando hardly worked out well and that wasn't down to the previous regime.  Maybe you could start a thread detailing in advance your projection for new signings.  Many fans weren't all that keen on Barrie McKay while Kingsley hardly set the heather on fire in England.  We picked up an injury ravaged goalie in his late 30s but your plan would have prohibited that  That's 3 of our best players.

It is true that we punted out on loan 2 players to French clubs and it probably did save on wages but it might just have led to a full transfer, even if the fee was nominal.  Try and move on.

Edited by JamboAl
JamboAl

Number one target for me this summer would be striker.  Try and get Simms on another season long loan or find someone similar.  

15 minutes ago, Ribble said:

In years gone by it wouldn't have been because we didn't really have the finances to be looking at each signing as a first team starter, in the past we needed to sign the likes of a Popescu or a Dikamona to fill gaps in the squad, now we will be looking to sign players as 1st 11 players that demote an existing starter to the bench, see Beni and Devlin who when fit start ahead of Haring and Halliday, Atkinson starting ahead of Smith, Simms coming in and displacing Woodburn etc 

When we bring a centre half in it will be someone who when fit will play every game, with Robbie's intention to have a smaller squad with greater quality we just don't have the room for the likes of a Considine

I have to say that this worries me a bit. We have been fairly lucky until lately with our injuries and only had one or two at a time.

As we will be playing in Europe next seasom and playing three games per week I think having a small squad is taking a big risk and maybe putting pressure on players who have been injured to come back before they are fully ready.

I am not advocatng that we have a huge squad again like we did under Levein or like Hibs etc but we need sufficient cover in key areas such as Centre Backs.

A couple of games this season we have only had five players on the bench and one of those was a goalkeeper. Hibs had eleven on their bench on Saturday.

On Saturday we had one defender on the bench and that was not a tactical move it was because Taylor Moore was the only one we had.

Ok we could have moved Haring to CB but then that would have seriously impacted on midfield.

We need to have a bigger squad than we currently have to be able to continue keeping at the top end of the table and doing well in cup competitions and Europe.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I have to say that this worries me a bit. We have been fairly lucky until lately with our injuries and only had one or two at a time.

As we will be playing in Europe next seasom and playing three games per week I think having a small squad is taking a big risk and maybe putting pressure on players who have been injured to come back before they are fully ready.

I am not advocatng that we have a huge squad again like we did under Levein or like Hibs etc but we need sufficient cover in key areas such as Centre Backs.

A couple of games this season we have only had five players on the bench and one of those was a goalkeeper. Hibs had eleven on their bench on Saturday.

On Saturday we had one defender on the bench and that was not a tactical move it was because Taylor Moore was the only one we had.

Ok we could have moved Haring to CB but then that would have seriously impacted on midfield.

We need to have a bigger squad than we currently have to be able to continue keeping at the top end of the table and doing well in cup competitions and Europe.

I wouldnt worry mate. Hes talked about the squad needing to be 3 or 4 bodies bigger. I think that means if 4 players leave, we'll sign 8, type thing.

Hopefully theres also a reserve league so we can more easily keep some young lads around, plus keep Smith, Halliday and the likes ticking over while looking after those kids and setting standards.

A squad of 23/24 plus some kids will be more than enough, but tight enough most will get gametime.

7 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

My point was more that in the summer if we sign 2 centre halves to replace Soutter and Moore then who we bring in will be expected to start and existing starters drop out to the bench, we won't be signing anyone permanently who comes in as 4th or 5th choice, only way that happens is if we need to bring in loan cover.

Squad needs to be the size of 26-28 in my opinion, some of these player's in the squad will struggle with extra games, and they are injury prone. 

We might get offers in the summer for player's Joe and Robbie, will be aware of that. 

Considine wouldn't be a bad signing we can't have a full squad of 25 first team starter's, not even City or Liverpool have that, what we need is the player's on the bench to be getting regular game time in reserves, so when the opportunity comes and say they are replacing an injured or tired player, they can make an immediate impact.

Like mceneff in the cup 👍

Will be very interesting too see if the likes of Logan, Henderson, Smith, Mcgill,Stone, Flatman, Darge, Watson, Pollock, can break into first team they will definitely be given a look at in pre season, and in my opinion all could play a part next season, we have the best academy in Scotland. 

Two pre contracts I've been told we are targeting are Reece Burke, and Charles Cook. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***