energy prices

Masonic

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Agree with this to an extent.  That covers a section of people who do have some scope to economise,  make better decisions,  be more frugal.  I believe it's an alien concept to people though.  It's probably difficult for people to accept that they havea personal responsibility to manage their finances in a way that is different to how they have become accustomed to.  They work,  they get paid,  they have money to spend as they choose.  Some other people get state support... you can see where I'm going.

I have no sympathy for anyone who cannot accept that they can comfortably survive after a few choices.  We need to imagine ourselves in the situation of people who wont have any scope to make ends meet.  If you can then it's easy to decide where any sympathy should lie.

You better lie down Vic, I completely agree. 😂

The real problems start after Fridays announcement. Where the majority of us will have to make tough choices. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Many of those struggling are clearly overspending or overstretching elsewhere. I’d imagine these were already just getting by so anything extra would tip them over the edge. People really need to live within their means and not keep up with the neighbours or friends. 

So? People can do what they like with their money, and if it's committed elsewhere, dramatic price hikes will hurt.

Should people just accept their standard of living being eroded while the rich get richer, and not expect their government to have their interests at heart?

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So? People can do what they like with their money, and if it's committed elsewhere, dramatic price hikes will hurt.

Should people just accept their standard of living being eroded while the rich get richer, and not expect their government to have their interests at heart?

Nobody should ever be accustomed to a particular standard of living. It can change overnight.

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

You better lie down Vic, I completely agree. 😂

The real problems start after Fridays announcement. Where the majority of us will have to make tough choices. 

What would make it a damned sight easier for people to accept would be for them to adopt economic changes while our government was working it's baws off to find ways to make real solutions.  Seeing the government do next to **** all will undoubtedly be hard to take.

Unknown user
Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Nobody should ever be accustomed to a particular standard of living. It can change overnight.

I didn't say that, I'm asking if we should stand by and watch our lives get shittier while the government aids the enrichment of the shareholder class.

Just now, Smithee said:

I didn't say that, I'm asking if we should stand by and watch our lives get shittier while the government aids the enrichment of the shareholder class.

No.  We should get on board if the government has our back.  It doesn't.  But people will still need to make savings while we continue to get shafted.  It will be harder to accept but their day will come.

dobmisterdobster
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A price freeze would be doing exactly that. There are other ways to go about it.

Unknown user

A price freeze would be doing exactly that. There are other ways to go about it.

I haven't said anything about a price freeze mate, I've just said that the Tories are nasty ***** that don't actually care if people live or die. They'd throw my £4k universal credit at me in coins if they could.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No.  We should get on board if the government has our back.  It doesn't.  But people will still need to make savings while we continue to get shafted.  It will be harder to accept but their day will come.

Yeah of course, there's no choice.

The government's meant to govern FOR us, they're a ****ing disgrace.

dobmisterdobster

I haven't said anything about a price freeze mate, I've just said that the Tories are nasty ***** that don't actually care if people live or die. They'd throw my £4k universal credit at me in coins if they could.

I've been on Universal Credit too. I know it's difficult.

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yeah of course, there's no choice.

The government's meant to govern FOR us, they're a ****ing disgrace.

It's a power retaining machine,  not a government.  It has no sense of public duty or servitude.  Labour will undoubtedly have government appointees who are in it for themselves but an overall change of personnel and an interuption of the machine are absolutely necessary.

Edited by Victorian

Time for the riots to start. Wait until folk are hungry and cold. They won’t be able to fend of hundreds of thousands of angry peasants from looting and causing chaos. Which I can foresee if things do get as dire as predicted. 

Unknown user

I've been on Universal Credit too. I know it's difficult.

Prices are going crazy.

The worst of it is my family are great. They're not rich, but they're great, and this makes me a burden on them. 

I can't do anything about it and the government won't.

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Time for the riots to start. Wait until folk are hungry and cold. They won’t be able to fend of hundreds of thousands of angry peasants from looting and causing chaos. Which I can foresee if things do get as dire as predicted. 

It doesn't take all that much for a sporadic incident to take root and develop into riots.  We saw it a few years back.  It's a distinct possibility.

Prices are going crazy.

The worst of it is my family are great. They're not rich, but they're great, and this makes me a burden on them. 

I can't do anything about it and the government won't.

Why do you think you are a burden mate? Sorry if I have missed something. 

Edit. Read back. Universal credits. Things are dire enough without thinking you are burden to anyone. I bet they love and adore you and you’ll be on your feet in no time. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The government should be doing so much more, that doesn’t excuse personal responsibility. Living within your means isn’t a rich man’s game ffs. People can do what the like and when it all goes wrong the government bail you out ? 😂 

You should merge that shite with the independence thread because that’s what you think governments are for. 

Unknown user
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Why do you think you are a burden mate? Sorry if I have missed something. 

The only reason I'm getting by is because of financial support from them.

They're happy to do it, my mum's thrilled to help out actually, but it shouldn't be this way.

Unknown user
Just now, Dazo said:

The government should be doing so much more, that doesn’t excuse personal responsibility. Living within your means isn’t a rich man’s game ffs. People can do what the like and when it all goes wrong the government bail you out ? 😂 

You should merge that shite with the independence thread because that’s what you think governments are for. 

Plenty of people were living within their means before their means got destroyed.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The only reason I'm getting by is because of financial support from them.

They're happy to do it, my mum's thrilled to help out actually, but it shouldn't be this way.

I edited my above post mate. 

Universal credit is not fit for purpose. It is designed to make you feel as miserable as possible to get you to take any old job offered and get off universal. Scum bag don’t have a single ounce that finding the right job takes and by giving folk the means and money to make better employment decisions the likelihood of having longer term employment. 

You will be in a better position soon and able to repay all who have helped you. There is nothing wrong with accepting help when offered. You are no burden. You seem like a really decent person 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Picture this. It would cost approx £100 billion of taxpayer money to subsidise a price cap freeze for three years.

Some of you do zero research. You just want to be angry at things.

The. Government. Could. Tax. The. Obscene. Profiteering. That's. Ongoing

SoMe Of YoU dO ZeRo ReSeArCh!

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I edited my above post mate. 

Universal credit is not fit for purpose. It is designed to make you feel as miserable as possible to get you to take any old job offered and get off universal. Scum bag don’t have a single ounce that finding the right job takes and by giving folk the means and money to make better employment decisions the likelihood of having longer term employment. 

You will be in a better position soon and able to repay all who have helped you. There is nothing wrong with accepting help when offered. You are no burden. 

Cheers, you have to have a bit of humility in this situation and just accept it!

But think of the people who don't have a network behind them, it's awful 

And you have to feel for those who were working hard, getting by and living a nice life, just like they're meant to. Can they not expect their government to have their interests at heart?

(Not aimed at you by the way)

Edited by Smithee

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Plenty of people were living within their means before their means got destroyed.

I think we've all known people who have taken on a mortgage or wife/partner has just fallen pregnant or just had a baby......then a month later they lose their job or are put on short time working or someother disaster befall them, none of which is their fault nor could have been predicted.  They were living within their means then it all came crashing down, through no fault of their own.

Of course there will be some who are just plain stupid and take on debt which they know they can't pay, but for the vast majority of people it's usually pure hard luck circumstances that get them.

We've had people bumping their gums about prices in the work.  And we're talking about certain items that are not classed as consumer essentials.  People automatically moan about a price and make accusations about rip-offs,  profiteering,  etc,  without having the first clue about things like purchase costs,  margins,  volume of business,  overheads varying between businesses.

Mate...

The price hasn't changed for 6 months so no,  it doesn't go up every time you come in 'cos you're here every week.  You're buying a luxury item.  You're driving a ****ing BMW.  Yes we do make a gross profit for the business owner who has overheads and has always made a modest profit from our fairly high turnover.  Yes it's £1 cheaper at a place 6 miles away but they might have smaller overheads or sell in higher volume mate.  Yeah I know everything's going up in price 'cos I'm a person who has bills to pay and stuff to buy like everyone else.

You just have to think the above and not say it.  :)

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Many of those struggling are clearly overspending or overstretching elsewhere. I’d imagine these were already just getting by so anything extra would tip them over the edge. People really need to live within their means and not keep up with the neighbours or friends. 

Seriously, explain why folk should have to pay these prices. Fecking going on about folk spending on other stuff. Give yersel peace, get off your knees and ask the companies, why they're robbing folk blind.

Fecking some people.

You should be able to live a life on £35000, not struggle, and have to stop buying stuff that makes life enjoyable. Tory loving *****.

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

£35k and people are facing trouble ffs 

And let's not forget, universal credit, £4k a year.

How little do human beings mean to these people?

Zero. Zilch. Absolutely nothing.

It was explained by an ex Oxford/Eton pupil who shrugged off their conditioning, that these "social climbers" literally do not view you and I as human or worthy of any consideration whatsoever.

Only their select peers, and even then if they find a reason to think less of somebody, they will as it elevates them. Remember Rishi laughing when he corrected that interview comment -  "well, not working class (friends)". That was nothing but still very revealing. Imagine what views they espouse in private. 

A system that takes unloved kids whose parents send them away as soon as possible and view them as an inconvenience during holidays, starving them of needed affection and viewing them only via their scholarly results. In turn it churns out disturbed sociopaths to become the next officers, politicians and boardroom members to lord it over us plebs.

You have to laugh at the forelock tugging run of the mill working class tory supporter who thinks they just need to work a wee bit harder to join their ranks. 

doctor jambo
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Can you not work?

there are a record number of vacancies…..

not an accusation, merely a question….

I donot think life on UC should be comfy- otherwise why bother your arse to work?

10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Seriously, explain why folk should have to pay these prices. Fecking going on about folk spending on other stuff. Give yersel peace, get off your knees and ask the companies, why they're robbing folk blind.

Fecking some people.

Give the rage a day off Ri. No one should be paying these prices and I haven’t once said otherwise. The fact is many people on average wages can afford to pay them and many can’t. Those that can probably don’t a bigger house than they need, a financed Bmw on the drive or are making minimum payments on several credit cards to have the foreign holidays every year. Wtf is that to do with the government or the energy company ? 

You’re right, some fecking people. 🙄

9 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Should you fix or not? 🤔

You've likely missed the boat if you haven’t already fixed.

There’ll be fixes available but I can’t imagine they’ll be all that attractive.

Unknown user
7 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Can you not work?

there are a record number of vacancies…..

not an accusation, merely a question….

I donot think life on UC should be comfy- otherwise why bother your arse to work?

Should life on UC be impossible? 

We live in a rich country, should everyone not be comfortable, with the rewards for work being obvious?

Unknown user
52 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Give the rage a day off Ri. No one should be paying these prices and I haven’t once said otherwise. The fact is many people on average wages can afford to pay them and many can’t. Those that can probably don’t a bigger house than they need, a financed Bmw on the drive or are making minimum payments on several credit cards to have the foreign holidays every year. Wtf is that to do with the government or the energy company ? 

You’re right, some fecking people. 🙄

Aye aye Tory boy, focus on the undeserving in thine eyes.

Always the same.

Smoked-Glass
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You've likely missed the boat if you haven’t already fixed.

There’ll be fixes available but I can’t imagine they’ll be all that attractive.

Still being offered but not as good as you said. 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aye aye Tory boy, focus on the undeserving in thine eyes.

Always the same.

Pointing out why sone people are struggling isn’t a Tory thing. Your bitterness is quite an ugly sight. Smithee. After today’s announcement like most people I’m focusing on paying my horrendous energy bills. 

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Pointing out why sone people are struggling isn’t a Tory thing. Your bitterness is quite an ugly sight. Smithee. After today’s announcement like most people I’m focusing on paying my horrendous energy bills. 

We all know why more people are struggling, and their government's doing **** all to help. Well, **** all to help citizens anyway, if you're a shareholder, ker-ching!

Society's been encouraged to spend, it keeps the economy going. Now, they're ***** because they've committed their outgoings like they were supposed to.

Jeffros Furios

Martin Lewis saying the next increase in January could be another 50% 😦

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Martin Lewis saying the next increase in January could be another 50% 😦

The UK's broken

25 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Still being offered but not as good as you said. 

It’s worth calculating where the 80% will take you, then calculate a further 50% (January) and if the fix is below that amount then I’d consider fixing. Bearing in mind we have that very generous £60 coming off our bills each month Oct-Mar.

Jeffros Furios
Just now, Smithee said:

The UK's broken

It really is ,  cost of living crisis . mass strikes ..businesses going to the wall.. people dying from the cold ..

And we have the most inept hopeless bunch of chancers we have ever seen in government .

We've sleepwalked into this disaster and the penny still hasn't dropped for some .

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It really is ,  cost of living crisis . mass strikes ..businesses going to the wall.. people dying from the cold ..

And we have the most inept hopeless bunch of chancers we have ever seen in government .

We've sleepwalked into this disaster and the penny still hasn't dropped for some .

The “Village Idiots on here confirm that.”

Dennis Reynolds

I'm currently on a fixed price tariff so the rises haven't and won't effect me untill May next year. Doing some back of the fag packet maths/using the money supermarket handy calculator they have I'll be paying around £200-£250 extra a month come May. I've started overpaying to combat it a bit.

I can tighten my belt as much as I want but costs like that are hard to absorb. 

Probably not the best time to be having another bairn :sniff:

The Internet

My energy tariff and fixed mortgage rate both run out in July next year. Sure our glorious tory leaders will have this all sorted by then and the country won't be on fire at all :locke:

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

We all know why more people are struggling, and their government's doing **** all to help. Well, **** all to help citizens anyway, if you're a shareholder, ker-ching!

Society's been encouraged to spend, it keeps the economy going. Now, they're ***** because they've committed their outgoings like they were supposed to.

No one should be committing their outgoings on luxury’s they can’t afford leaving them living hand to mouth. Just before you try your usual bollox I’m taking about people on decent wages financing themselves up to the eyeballs on things they don’t need. No one has ever been encouraged to do that. It’s a myth made up by people who do that then expect the government to wipe their arse when it all goes wrong. 

The problem we have now with this rise it now brings people into play who don’t do those things. Those are the people my sympathies are with and should be helped. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I'm not even sure anyone is encouraged to spend for the benefit of the economy, people were spending because they had (largely) done the right thing by staying indoors for two years to protect the vulnerable from Covid. There are of course examples of people buying on credit way beyond their means but why should any sane person have thought a year or so ago "you know, we are not going to go on that holiday because our utility bills are going up 5-fold"? You can't budget for that anymore than you can budget for a lorry crashing into your house. You would never go out, never spend, and the economy would tank anyway.

I think it would have been better for the UK as a whole had Boris not recovered so well from his bout of Covid.