Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

It was you who changed the idea of consensus to one of unanimity. Are you telling me that if all the EU countries had decided to close their airspace except Slovenia, that it would have made any difference at all? Nope. The EU couldn't have been able to say that Russian planes were excluded from all EU airspace, but the effect would have been the same. And meanwhile, in the background, the other countries would have been saying to Slovenia "Why not?" and trying to alleviate any concerns they might have had.

On SWIFT, if all the EU countries apart from Romania had been in favour of SWIFT restrictions for Russian entities, do you think it wouldn't have gone ahead? Codswallop. It was far better to speak as one entity, but it wasn't necessary. All it needed was the biggest players to agree. As I said, the EU likes to speak as one when it has consensus (not necessarily unanimity), but unless you're touting for the EU to be one globular nation, it has to do things the way it does, taking into consideration the input of all its members.

Anyway, I've had enough of this. I've seen you gleefully suck others into mind-numbing pedantic debate and I have better things to do like go and have my tea. :)

Your final paragraph should be left as a sticky on here for every poster who attempts to converse with that argumentative troll. 

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Costanza said:

With Ukraine taking Russia to the International Court of Justice; if Russia found guilty to have acted illegally what does that actually mean in practical terms?

Russia will get sent to jail. 

3 minutes ago, kila said:

But go on, humour us, what do you actually think about this particular topic?

Useful thread this.  Same group of weirdos who contribute nothing on the topic and who only exist in order to sneer at others.

Strange wee bunch.

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Russia will get sent to jail. 

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In two words **** all

😄 oh well, I guess Giovanni Di Stefano needn't get excited then

47 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She already has 

I hate her. ****ing gimp  She can shove independence up her arse.

The Ukrainians that get sent to Methil are in for a surprise, they'll think Putin rolled though on the way to Kiev.

dobmisterdobster
1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Might want to supply Ukraine with some non-destroyed Airfields to land them in.

Kalamazoo Jambo
Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

So far Russia have done a crappy job of destroying Ukraine’s air defenses, although they’ve obviously been depleted. Apparently the jets are a ‘maybe’ as part of the package (going to edit my original post).

5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Fighters is a weird one.  They sort of need a fully trained pilot in the particular jet.  Maybe a navigator as well.  It aint Independence Day.

No way that NATO pilots are being supplied.

Edited by Victorian

5 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

EU to supply weapons, possibly including fighter jets, to Ukraine. Obviously not worrying about Putin’s bravado…

https://www.axios.com/eu-weapons-ukraine-russia-invasion-331bfcbc-5193-47b0-8afb-03f194d95619.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

I'm putting Sellotape on the windaes , just in case. 

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/193YkiRu8e38hHRGQoaMVBUhCbOfRIJqR/view

The Russia report, if you haven't already seen it or want to see it in full.

No need to wade through it all, just go to p12 , S39.

2014 Indy referendum

2016 brexit

Russian influence at all levels of UK society ,PR firms, "security". 

Uwillingness of govt and security services to investigate. 

👍

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fighters is a weird one.  They sort of need a fully trained pilot in the particular jet.  Maybe a navigator as well.  It aint Independence Day.

No way that NATO pilots are bring supplied.

Just edited my original post as it appears to be a maybe. I think there could be some jets that the Ukrainian pilots are already familiar with that other countries are willing to part with, e.g. MiG-29s.

No suggestion that pilots would Be part of the deal, sure that would be seen as a red line.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

No way that NATO pilots are being supplied.

The old Soviet jets apparently have well armoured cockpits and can survive a hit to the extent it can (sometimes) be flown back to base. So ,a pilot could survive and get home but the plane is obviously out of action. And the Ukranians only had 100 fighters at the start of this war, I think. 

Every single one counts. 

2 minutes ago, Costanza said:

As if you couldn't admire him more

i now have an image that if him and putin meet for peace talks he will take his hat off and chow down a marmalade sandwich

1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Just edited my original post as it appears to be a maybe. I think there could be some jets that the Ukrainian pilots are already familiar with that other countries are willing to part with, e.g. MiG-29s.

The only way really.  Mind you,  a warplane is a mighty valuable bit of kit.

kingantti1874

Sturgeons a ****ing joke. 

she’d have had us demilitarised even further and speaking Russian before the end of the decade. 

a twee politician In a scary world ..

10 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

You don't know how big Ukraine is, clearly. 

9 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Ooh ah I love the 'RA

9 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

But I also hate the Paddies

Oh make your mind up, ya blouse.  :rofl:

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fake news, according to Klitschko.

I'd give anything on Twitter about six or seven hours to be proven or disproven given the amount of ammo both sides will be chucking at social media presence.

Let's hope so, although she is an FT correspondent.

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Sein Fein :laugh2:

He can't spell it, he hasn't a clue of its policies or its history, but he can sure as hell praise it.

SE yadayada: something ill-informed

Ulysses: Eh, don't say stuff that's ill-informed

SE yadayada; I didn't say it, and it wasn't ill-informed, and I was right, and you were wrong, and **** off Paddy, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Love the attempts from folk to make this about Scottish Independence or their hatred for Sturgeon. 

Yup, confusing me, is Boris not taking enough or is nicsy wanting too many......🤔

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Love the attempts from folk to make this about Scottish Independence or their hatred for Sturgeon. 

She made covid about her so why not this?

A few questions -

If Putin is really considering firing nuclear missiles as a first-strike, are they  likely to be aimed at  European countries ?  Or the US ?   Or both ?   

What do we reckon the countries with nuclear weapons are currently thinking ?  US, UK, France.     Now on standby ?   

What capability does the West have to intercept a nuclear missile in mid-air  ?   

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Another embarrassment for Gobshite Britain.

Gobshite Britain? 

How many refugees has the EU admitted?

It is window dressing so far.

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

A few questions -

If Putin is really considering firing nuclear missiles as a first-strike, are they  likely to be aimed at  European countries ?  Or the US ?   Or both ?   

What do we reckon the countries with nuclear weapons are currently thinking ?  US, UK, France.     Now on standby ?   

No, what's for supper and no if hypersonic.....I think imo

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Gobshite Britain? 

EU has made a major commitment.  The UK is turning it's face away.  Again.

3 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A few questions -

The doctrine is that they are launched at all strategic targets.  Missile silos and command & control assets,  etc.  Everything gets launched.

7 minutes ago, Herbert said:

She made covid about her so why not this?

Herbert is a raging wee man tonight folks.

Anyway, back on relevant matters, all kf the teams due to potentially face Russia in the WC play offs are sticking  to their guns despite FIFAs best efforts to turn them into The Russia.

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The EU has spouted a few words. You seem to be angrier at "gobshite Britain" than at  Russia and Putin.

The subject war keeps coming up. I guess that we all realise what it really is. Its going to bed at night with everything prepared for a rapid evacuation to shelters when the siren goes off. Its the all clear and back to bed and finish the nights sleep. Its getting up in the morning and going out to see the houses you heard were hit by bombs, its hearing about family who were in the house. Its rationing, its controls of movements, and I don't before anyone says it mean bowel movements, its about conscription, and then the absence of the young men and women then the notification the absence is now permanent. Its refugees,  its absolutely without one saving grace, lets hope this nonsense we are now discussing is not a prelude to any of it. Been there, done that, got the emotional scars to prove it.

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Gobshite Britain? 

So far Poland have seemingly taken in well over 100k. Maybe even 300k now I heard earlier. 

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Gobshite Britain? 

As of yesterday Poland and other countries had admitted over 150,000.

It has advised that it will take up to 1m.

Just now, Francis Albert said:

The EU has spouted a few words. You seem to be angrier at "gobshite Britain" than at  Russia and Putin.

They've made their commitment and will undoubtedly follow through on it.  

I'm not angry at anything.  I see you're engaged in your usual chicannery and trying to drag the exchange into another argument.

Francis Albert.  Every reply is a 'new variant'.  The virus of JKB.

On ignore.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

tbf, the EU had no option other than to make that comittment, since several member countries have already let refugees in.   They're a one-for-all-and-all-for one type of entity.

I agree with you about it making the UK look bad.   Its unnecessary too - how many refugees  in desperate need are going to bodyswerve Poland, Germany, Hungary etc etc  just to  trek an extra thousand miles  to get to a big island north of France ?   

Just now, Lone Striker said:

tbf, the EU had no option other than to make that comittment, since several member countries have already let refugees in.   They're a one-for-all-and-all-for one type of entity.

I agree with you about it making the UK look bad.   Its unnecessary too - how many refugees  in desperate need are going to bodyswerve Poland, Germany, Hungary etc etc  just to  trek an extra thousand miles  to get to a big island north of France ?   

There it is.

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

We need to take our share and more.  Otherwise we're just full of shite.  Yet again.  It's an absolute embarrassment.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Gobshite Britain? 

The EU has taken in 368,000 refugees so far as of the latest report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/26/europe-welcomes-refugees-ukraine-russia/

According to YouGov, six in ten Britons support the resettling of Ukrainian refugees here.

So far, we have not relaxed visa requirements for Ukrainian refugees, and a Tory Minister went so far as stating that Ukrainian refugees might be able to come into the UK if they apply for fruit picking visas.

The EU is, so far, welcoming refugees with remarkably open arms. We're not. End of story. Very embarrassing.

5 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Boris: Expell Russia from Swift.

EU: No.

Remainers: See? I told you Boris was a Kremlin puppet!

That's actually not the sequence.  The decision not to exclude Russian banks from SWIFT was made first, then the UK made the request, and then the EU and the US held the line with the previous decision - although they all seem to be coming round now.  It's very easy for a sleazy conman like Johnson to make himself look better by proposing something he knows is unlikely to be accepted.

The truth is that none of the major players initially did the right thing.  The US should have gone further, and although it's tempting to assume that the Biden Administration were worried about not getting support in Congress, I suspect it was more a case of just holding back to avoid too much economic disruption.  The UK held back because the Tories are in power and they wanted to give their individual Russian mates time to move their assets.  The EU held back because of Germany, Italy and Hungary - with a mixture of political and economic reasons in those countries, but with energy dependency playing a huge part

They all might be moving in the right direction now, but that's not yet certain.

image.png

Edited by Ulysses