Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

8 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Has anybody seen any pics/videos of military casualties?  I've seen a few vids of destroyed vehicles and some 'cool' explosions but nothing like what we saw in the ME conflicts of th epast 20 yrs.  Just wondering, though I will conced I've not been making any real effort to dig these up.

I reckon for propaganda reasons on both sides, we’re not going to be seeing much mainstream footage of dead soldiers etc. Both sides are lying about casualties and progress I would imagine, so they’re not going to want any video getting out or really have the media anywhere near battle zones, although I’m sure it’ll be out there to be found should you want

Edited by JimmyCant

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, indianajones said:

I've seen a few horrible videos showing casualties but more videos of Russian PoWs. 

Probably a good idea not to go searching. There is some horrible stuff out there i would rather of not seen. 

Fair enough, just trying to get a feel for what might actually be going down there.  Never easy to tell tbqh.

1 minute ago, hughesie27 said:

Yeah. Only on the Ukranian side thanks to the pro Russia Telegram group. And not all that many.

Just now, JimmyCant said:

I reckon for propaganda reasons on both sides, we’re not going to be seeing footage of dead soldiers. Both sides are lying about casualties and progress I would imagine, so they’re not going to want any video getting out or really have the media anywhere near battle zones

Aye, make sense doesn't it.  In these sorts of situations, in today's age you certainly feel that the 'appropriate' dissemination of information, is a massive tool (for both sides).

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Belarus "votes" to re-introduce nuclear weapons on their soil.

I imagine this is similar to the votes that Saddam Hussain had?

17 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

I imagine this is similar to the votes that Saddam Hussain had?

Amazingly, the "referendum on nukes" only won by 65%-35%.

Lukashenko didn't do his usual "95% win" bollocks.

11 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

That would be quite something because Switzerland's the biggest haven for bent bread on the planet bar none. And has been since just about forever.

Interesting part of this is that it's nudging up against their traditionally neutral stance. Couple that with how far both Germany and Sweden have moved it's been a hell of an interesting few days.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yep, and if they do, we're all fecked anyway, so no point worrying about it

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

It's about 40 mins from launch to destruction, so enough time to a) watch 1-5 goals, b) read the bairns a book and c) pop into bed with the wife.

Of course, if c) happens first, then I've got enough time to watch the goals in a) three or four times over.

I’ve avoided watching Any news about this on tv or on most media platforms . It’s all just too depressing to contemplate . I thought my anxiety was through the roof with covid but this is something else , so I’m trying my best to contain it by the “ head in the sand “ approach . There is nothing we can do if it happened so why worry about it ? I just wish people would not spout sabre rattling nonsense about sending. Troops in etc . These  things would only escalate a dire situation into a more dire one . A level head is needed at this time by political leaders . 

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Aye but it's no the Tories fault likesy 

The correct response is surely to decry Putin not play into his divide and conquer tactics?

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

The correct response is surely to decry Putin not play into his divide and conquer tactics?

Indeed.

In a time of incredible tension and the need for statesmanship and cool heads, you don't send in an empty head who, before her supposed transformation into the 'pound shop' Margaret Hilda, was ranting on about cheese.

The worst possible government at the worst possible time.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Indeed.

In a time of incredible tension and the need for statesmanship and cool heads, you don't send in an empty head who, before her supposed transformation into the 'pound shop' Margaret Hilda, was ranting on about cheese.

Have you read what she said that supposedly triggered the response from Russia? Please do, and then let us know if you think the Russian response was proportionate.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Indeed.

You are misinterpreting my comments - what has she said that justifies him threatening nuclear war? Why is correct for you to round on her and not him in this instance?

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Have you read what she said that supposedly triggered the response from Russia? Please do, and then let us know if you think the Russian response was proportionate.

She made inflammatory comments encouraging British people to go to Ukraine and kill Russians . Hardly diplomatic .. She is  An idiot of the highest order. 

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Putin sticking to his traditional playbook of laying the blame on someone else for him  escalating things.     

Interesting that the Tass website has been taken down after an anti-war message was apparently displayed earlier.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I did actually.

Of course it's not proportionate. As I said at times like this you need wise heads, those who have the capacity to play the diplomatic chess game, pick their words wisely, de-escalate and not inflame.

We've got a foreign secretary who made a total **** of herself in Russia in front of a seasoned snakey bassa of a Russian foreign minister, and has subsequently continued to stand on her own trunk since.

We don't need an Instagram like seeking idiot when potentially dealing with a guy that's unhinged.

As i said earlier on in the thread... Truss needs to engage her brain before opening her mouth. She is seriously irresponsible and this is an extremely delicate situation. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I did actually.

Of course it's not proportionate. As I said at times like this you need wise heads, those who have the capacity to play the diplomatic chess game, pick their words wisely, de-escalate and not inflame.

Well there you go then. There's no way that Putin decided to review his nuclear options after those comments by Truss. They just wanted to pick someone out. And I think that diplomats and governments will realise that.

9 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

You are misinterpreting my comments - what has she said that justifies him threatening nuclear war? Why is correct for you to round on her and not him in this instance?

Putin's a bam, of course.

But Truss is an arsehole for poking said bam with a stick, and as she's an elected government official in this country, her actions should be examined, and criticised in this instance

Just now, indianajones said:

As i said earlier on in the thread... Truss needs to engage her brain before opening her mouth. She is seriously irresponsible and this is an extremely delicate situation. 

She's a painted ****wit, this is probably after she engaged her brain.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I did actually.

We've got a foreign secretary who made a total **** of herself in Russia in front of a seasoned snakey bassa of a Russian foreign minister, and has subsequently continued to stand on her own trunk since.

We don't need an Instagram like seeking idiot when potentially dealing with a guy that's unhinged.

The last four Foreign Secretaries have included Johnson, Raab and now Truss.

It's pretty depressing regardless of current events.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Well there you go then. There's no way that Putin decided to review his nuclear options after those comments by Truss. They just wanted to pick someone out. And I think that diplomats and governments will realise that.

I'm sure you're right, they were just looking for an excuse, and there's arsehole Truss giving them one.

10 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She made inflammatory comments encouraging British people to go to Ukraine and kill Russians . Hardly diplomatic .. She is  An idiot of the highest order. 

Those comments were not the factor in play here. And several other countries have okayed their citizens going to Ukraine to help in the war effort - are they all idiots of the highest order too?

22 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve avoided watching Any news about this on tv or on most media platforms . It’s all just too depressing to contemplate . I thought my anxiety was through the roof with covid but this is something else , so I’m trying my best to contain it by the “ head in the sand “ approach . There is nothing we can do if it happened so why worry about it ? I just wish people would not spout sabre rattling nonsense about sending. Troops in etc . These  things would only escalate a dire situation into a more dire one . A level head is needed at this time by political leaders . 

I don't watch any broadcast TV, it's best that way. The world's shocking enough without constant Jimmie rustling

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My mother - a complete nervous wreck of a person, sadly - has also avoided all Ukraine related news and says she feels much better for it.

I'm not overly worried, although a bit concerned hacking stuff might cause inconveniences as much as anything else. Also struggling to get in touch with a Ukrainian friend from Lviv.

Might follow the news blackout as I'm away for work until Friday, so a good chance to get out of the routine.

Yes I def feel much better for it .  👍 I just find it hard to believe that it would even be contemplated as a war “ option” . But it is . Hope you do hear from your Ukrainian friend 👍

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't watch any broadcast TV, it's best that way. The world's shocking enough without constant Jimmie rustling

Yes I haven’t watched BBC news in years . As I have mentioned before . Sometimes watch channel 4 news . But I’ve just blacked it all out just now . 

On the Truss stuff, I wonder if the poster who said he wished he could go and fight has now done so on her supposed go ahead.

I'd have liked her to be less inflammatory but pinning Putin's actions on her is bobbins.

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

It is possible to hold them both to account in very different ways on this.

He's a lunatic of that there is no question, however she is an idiot in a job she has no qualifications for, which when dealing with any world leader is not great but when dealing with a lunatic spoiling for a fight it's downright dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm sure you're right, they were just looking for an excuse, and there's arsehole Truss giving them one.

They could have picked up on the similar comments of many other ministers in many other countries over this. I'm most certainly not a fan of Truss, even less of her government and party, but I don't think she said anything out of place here. Fortunately those in power will be less easily manipulated than JKBers and will realise that too.

What I don't understand is why the Russians have somehow decided to pick us out in this respect. Perhaps it was the early closing of our airspace, our efforts in getting everybody on board regarding SWIFT, or even that we appear to have plans to give Russian oligarchs a harder time owning property in this country. Whatever it is, we've clearly rattled them.

Anyway, just to make it clear, in my humble opinion, Putin did not bring the nuclear issue into the debate because of Liz Truss' comments.

Just now, redjambo said:

They could have picked up on the similar comments of many other ministers in many other countries over this. I'm most certainly not a fan of Truss, even less of her government and party, but I don't think she said anything out of place here. Fortunately those in power will be less easily manipulated than JKBers and will realise that too.

What I don't understand is why the Russians have somehow decided to pick us out in this respect. Perhaps it was the early closing of our airspace, our efforts in getting everybody on board regarding SWIFT, or even that we appear to have plans to give Russian oligarchs a harder time owning property in this country. Whatever it is, we've clearly rattled them.

Anyway, just to make it clear, in my humble opinion, Putin did not bring the nuclear issue into the debate because of Liz Truss' comments.

No, he did it because he's an arsehole, no one's disagreeing with that.

Jeffros Furios

There certainly seems to be an increase  in shelling of civilian areas. 

Kharkiv  in particular under heavy shelling .

On a lighter note a couple of Russian conscrips ran out of fuel and asked at local Police station where they could refuel 

Which resulted in them being arrested 😀

Just now, Jeffros Furios said:

On a lighter note a couple of Russian conscrips ran out of fuel and asked at local Police station where they could refuel 

The Russian forces are running out of time and money. Civilians are fair game to them now if they want to meet their objectives asap.

10 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

President Putin’s decision to put Russian nuclear forces on high alert was taken after “unacceptable” statements by Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, the Kremlin has said.

“There were statements by various representatives at different levels about possible conflict situations and even confrontations and clashes between Nato and the Russian Federation,” Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s spokesman, said. “We consider such statements absolutely unacceptable. I will not name the authors of these statements, although it was the British foreign secretary.”

Truss has backed Britons who are travelling to Ukraine to fight the Russian invasion. “You know, it is a just cause,” she told Times Radio yesterday. “This is a sovereign democracy that has been trampled over or the attempted trampling over by a dictator who is hell bent on subordinating Ukraine.” Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, urged Britons not to travel.

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes seen that a few days ago and it seems to be happening quite regular, 

Also vehicles bogged down in mud .

30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm no fan of them either but Ben Wallace should be put in control of the whole department and Truss should be removed before she says anything else can can easily be manipulated.

She's a serious liability.

Lord Montpelier
9 minutes ago, Boab said:

I'm no fan of them either but Ben Wallace should be put in control of the whole department and Truss should be removed before she says anything else can can easily be manipulated.

Agree. She's another in a very long line of career politicians who over the last 2 years have been found woefully short of experience and intellect on many occasions.

7 minutes ago, Boab said:

Be careful, he had his moments last week too (google 'full tonto') - however given the situation they need our full backing, even if it does feel like we are cheering on Dundee at times...

I P Knightley
20 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

President Putin’s decision to put Russian nuclear forces on high alert was taken after “unacceptable” statements by Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, the Kremlin has said.

“There were statements by various representatives at different levels about possible conflict situations and even confrontations and clashes between Nato and the Russian Federation,” Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s spokesman, said. “We consider such statements absolutely unacceptable. I will not name the authors of these statements, although it was the British foreign secretary.”

Truss has backed Britons who are travelling to Ukraine to fight the Russian invasion. “You know, it is a just cause,” she told Times Radio yesterday. “This is a sovereign democracy that has been trampled over or the attempted trampling over by a dictator who is hell bent on subordinating Ukraine.” Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, urged Britons not to travel.

She is a disgrace!

I'm surprised that Putin pays her any heed but I suppose that he's happy to take anything as an excuse. If he was a footballer, he'd be Neymar.

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

She is a disgrace!

I'm surprised that Putin pays her any heed but I suppose that he's happy to take anything as an excuse. If he was a footballer, he'd be Neymar.

I watched her on Sunday morning doing the TV rounds and apart from having a face like a bag of weasels she can across as a nasty piece of work. 

Unfortunately we have a prime minister who was awful as foreign secretary. He has put someone in the position who is even worse than he was 

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Defeat? What defeat...

"I don’t understand at all where they got this thesis about blitzkrieg and 72 hours for the entire operation. Apparently, from 72 TsIPSO.

First of all, there are no idiots in the General Staff, and hardly anyone took less than two weeks for an operation. And no one expected an easy walk. This is absolutely certain.

I will say this - being a witness to the US operation in Iraq - the Russian army is operating quite successfully. You can, of course, say something about the unsuccessful course of the Russian operation, only now Kyiv is blocked, and the AFU units cannot come to the aid of the capital (!) Because they are bound by battles in the south and east. At the same time, they leave the cities, retreat. Even despite the fact that they are provided with full technical and intelligence support from NATO countries.

I hope no one has any illusions that the Ukrainian military in this case is just a tool of Washington and London? So, the tool is slowly breaking down. The infrastructure of the Armed Forces of Ukraine has been largely destroyed, the losses of personnel are very large, the losses of equipment are huge. In Kyiv, armed lunatics are beating each other with their machine guns, increasing the panic every day.

So comparing with Iraq. In the same way, the advance of the coalition troops was difficult - not only the United States fought there. Also, the Americans lost equipment in battles. Only now they were able to block Baghdad only at the end of the second week of the war. What is the day of the operation? And this despite the fact that in Iraq the entire south did not fight against the coalition at all, because the Shiites immediately went over to its side.

And despite the fact that the US Air Force bombed everything that came to hand. Residential areas were demolished only on the way if there was information that there were military units there or someone of their Iraqi leaders was hiding. And the Russian Aerospace Forces, as we see, operate in a completely different way.

Now, in general, the main destruction of civilian infrastructure is the result of the actions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, which, when retreating, blow up bridges and mine roads.

On the fifth day of the operation, we have the besieged capital, the second largest city, advancement in the direction of the DPR / LPR and the breaking of the defense, the blockaded Mariupol. And a considerable territory under the control of the Russian army.

Well, if all this, according to Western analysts and information front fighters from Ukraine, is a failed operation, then tell me what a successful operation looks like."

https://t.me/MedvedevVesti/7928

Russians do have the tactic used today of indescriminate bombing of civilians. Not sure how that helps them though. 

12 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fast tracking Ukraine into EU is possible as there is a slot where theyve been keeping the lights on for a no show country 

The "slot" vacated by the "Empire" that wanted to take back control? Cant even tell Truss to shut her puss :lol:

17 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Fast tracking Ukraine into EU is possible as there is a slot where theyve been keeping the lights on for a no show country 

Recent vacancy too. 

Even the Swiss are adopting the sanctions on Russia with immediate effect.

THE SWISS!!!!

The most neutral country on the planet!