Inflation

jamb0_1874

maroonlegions
I would like to hear from any MP who can justify cheap meals at public expense, whilst many others struggle to put food on the table and many more rely on food banks! Why are they a special case??

That they  certainly eat very well at our expense is a given. Although the restaurant isn't subsidised it runs at a loss which we pick up the tab for , so they can eat better than most of us and look down on us all at our expense.

There was a time when hospitals, schools, universities, public offices - all provided subsidised food for workers and students. Now it just seems that MPs have that luxury. No wonder they don't think that neo-liberal economics is a problem.

279629183_5020820678029375_8432911574486852041_n (1).jpg

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:
I would like to hear from any MP who can justify cheap meals at public expense, whilst many others struggle to put food on the table and many more rely on food banks! Why are they a special case??

That they  certainly eat very well at our expense is a given. Although the restaurant isn't subsidised it runs at a loss which we pick up the tab for , so they can eat better than most of us and look down on us all at our expense.

There was a time when hospitals, schools, universities, public offices - all provided subsidised food for workers and students. Now it just seems that MPs have that luxury. No wonder they don't think that neo-liberal economics is a problem.

They’ve got a hard life.😭

maroonlegions
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They’ve got a hard life.😭

Aye ducking , diving, skiving , dealing and skullduggery.

:greggy:

Diadora Van Basten
On 05/05/2022 at 16:01, Cade said:

Bailed out the banks, hammered the people to pay for it.

Then carried on as usual without changing anything that led to the problems in the first place.

:fonzie:

In the case of Northern Rock the government rigged the valuation to pay no compensation and stole 13 billion from shareholders.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-17195562.amp

They also held mortgage customers hostage to fixed deals when they could have allowed them to move penalty free and used the funds to repay the Bank of England loans.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

That is outrageous. A lot of MPs genuinely seem to think they’re doing us a favour by getting paid £80k a year.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That is outrageous. A lot of MPs genuinely seem to think they’re doing us a favour by getting paid £80k a year.

They are clearly on a different planet.

They should join the real world.

joondalupjambo
45 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They are clearly on a different planet.

They should join the real world.

Not wanting to give too much support to these tykes but if you were a lawyer, a senior Financial Executive, a CEO in a reasonably sized company and so do you think you would be earning less that 80k per annum?  And many in those types of jobs also attract extras like lease cars, expenses etc.  The problem then becomes the comparison that the MP's do shows all this up. 

I am not sure just giving MP's is the answer.  I would like to see them voted in on the premise that they deliver what their constituents wanted and not solely their Party.  Perhaps a basic pay with extras based on those local deliverables.

Jambo-Jimbo

The boss of Scottish Power has warned that every household on average wages in Scotland is likely to fall into fuel poverty, when the next price cap rise comes in, in October.

He's wanting the government to reduce bills by £1000 instead of the proposed £200 which has been already announced.

Malinga the Swinga
On 05/05/2022 at 16:10, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:lol:

It’s ****ing incredible

It's a ****ing lie though

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The boss of Scottish Power has warned that every household on average wages in Scotland is likely to fall into fuel poverty, when the next price cap rise comes in, in October.

He's wanting the government to reduce bills by £1000 instead of the proposed £200 which has been already announced.

Why don’t Scottish power just reduce their bills? 
Im sure they could if they wanted to. 

Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

I'm sure that's a question many people will be asking.

36 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Did you notice they all bar one company rammed their prices RIGHT to the maximum new price cap?

Also, the price of energy has dropped massively since the start of the Ukraine invasion - but they justify their prices by saying they bought gas at the higher prices.

Anyone ever had their ****ing bills go down when they had access to cheaper energy. Bunch of shysters. 

Jambo-Jimbo
12 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Did you notice they all bar one company rammed their prices RIGHT to the maximum new price cap?

Also, the price of energy has dropped massively since the start of the Ukraine invasion - but they justify their prices by saying they bought gas at the higher prices.

Anyone ever had their ****ing bills go down when they had access to cheaper energy. Bunch of shysters. 

In fairness Bulb did that, IIRC back about 2019 they reduced their bills twice, maybe thrice that year.

So in answer to your question, yes I have.

29 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In fairness Bulb did that, IIRC back about 2019 they reduced their bills twice, maybe thrice that year.

So in answer to your question, yes I have.

Nice to hear some companies had some integrity. 

doctor jambo

I was with pure planet and paying £150 per month for dual fuel .

they went bust and I was moved to shell.

I am already £400 per month.

WTAF

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, but he wants to reduce the bills of the poorest by increasing the bills of those slightly better off by £40 a year for 10 years or something! So, those slightly better off see their bills rocketing again in October AND then are expected to pay more to subsidise others! 

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Everyone has had their bills increased to cover the cost of the companies that have gone bust - about £70 on your bill I think. Now, as far as I know, this was done by increasing the standing charge, hence the steep increase. This is a one-off charge so we should see a significant reduction in the standing charge in a year - anyone want to hazard a guess if this will happen? 

heartsfc_fan
53 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

WTAF

Christ! That's grim.

WorldChampions1902
On 02/05/2022 at 09:26, WorldChampions1902 said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens in October, when the projected energy bills increase by yet another 30-60%.
The very poor in society will require meaningful (not token) government intervention, to keep their heating on this winter.

I reckon £1000 a year subsidies to the most vulnerable families. Clearly that will have to be paid for by the rest of us (whether by taxes or additional levies on our already extortionate bills). Alternatively, this Junta will need to slap a colossal windfall tax on the energy companies, so possibly a bit of both (?) but up to now, the Tories have resisted such a measure on the basis of no rationale whatsoever.

Doing nothing is not an option and if that is what happens, civil disobedience will IMHO, become even more likely.

Buckle up.

It seems that the CEO of Scottish Power reads Kickback. 😉

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

WTAF

The same Shell that just announced a tripling of profits in the 1st quarter?

THAT Shell?

:rofl: :munny:

Unknown user
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

WTAF

Just wait till prices go up another 40% in time for winter

The Mighty Thor
10 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

WTAF

We were the same. I posted earlier in the thread.

We're now sending them monthly readings and our DD has come down a fair bit. 

We also had a pretty big credit balance transfer over from Pure Planet eventually. Shell 'don't factor that in' when calculating your DD. 

Winter will be carnage. 

SwindonJambo
11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Just wait till prices go up another 40% in time for winter

This X 10. Not only will unit costs go up further but so too will consumption due to being Winter. The Government would be foolish to offer no further help. We could very easily be looking at Civil Unrest somewhere down the line.

Unknown user
Just now, SwindonJambo said:

This X 10. Not only will unit costs go up further but so too will consumption due to being Winter. The Government would be foolish to offer no further help. We could very easily be looking at Civil Unrest somewhere down the line.

They've said they're going to wait and see what happens with a view to looking into it after prices have risen. 

Jambo-Jimbo
46 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

It's going to be horrendous.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's going to be horrendous.

It really is, I'll be investing in jumpers, long Johns and door snakes

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

FSUewFgXEAAZfxm?format=png&name=small

:thumbs_up:

Tbh, there will be hundreds of statements made 5 or 6 years ago, pre-pandemic and pre-Ukraine war, which have turned out completly differently than when they were said. 

Imo even if we were still in the EU we'd still have a cost of living crisis, maybe not as severe, but a cost of living crisis nonetheless.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

They've said they're going to wait and see what happens with a view to looking into it after prices have risen. 

I think they'll wait and see what the next price rise is, and cover it or at least try to, maybe cover 75% of the rise.

If they don't, I really do dread to think about next winter, especially if it's a really cold one.

I know they have planned for a £200 rebate, but that isn't anywhere near enough imo.

Unknown user
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think they'll wait and see what the next price rise is, and cover it or at least try to, maybe cover 75% of the rise.

If they don't, I really do dread to think about next winter, especially if it's a really cold one.

I know they have planned for a £200 rebate, but that isn't anywhere near enough imo.

A £200 loan, paid to the companies on our behalf, which we'll pay back over the next 5 years IIRC.

£200 delayed payment.

Jambo-Jimbo
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A £200 loan, paid to the companies on our behalf, which we'll pay back over the next 5 years IIRC.

Yes, paid back at £40 a year.

I really doubt any of us will see any difference in our bills.

Unknown user

At least the power companies will get a big cash injection from the government. Brilliant.

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

At least the power companies will get a big cash injection from the government. Brilliant.

There will never be a stronger case for a windfall tax. A tiny cossetted elite lucky enough to be in the right industry at the right time making obscene riches while millions face extreme hardship to pay for it. The market rate is what it is for anything but the government is in a position to take action for the common good and the action taken so far has been pathetically feeble.

Let's have a look at the full text of the Queen's Speech to see what help there is for struggling households.....

Umm...

erm...

nowt

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Won’t touch the sides of many bills. It also really should have been optional, no idea why this was forced on people. 

5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Won’t touch the sides of many bills. It also really should have been optional, no idea why this was forced on people. 

My question about this imposed debt is it legal to impose debt on people who already in debt they can’t manage for example. Would or does break bankruptcy laws ?  No idea myself. 

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

There will never be a stronger case for a windfall tax. A tiny cossetted elite lucky enough to be in the right industry at the right time making obscene riches while millions face extreme hardship to pay for it. The market rate is what it is for anything but the government is in a position to take action for the common good and the action taken so far has been pathetically feeble.

Norway has what seems an almost yearly windfall tax right now, hasn't stopped the energy companies from making enough profits to satisfy their investors nor has it stopped them from investing in new research or technology etc.

France have told energy giants EDF they can only raise their prices by 4% . Apparently EDF will take a 8 billion euro hit. I don't suppose we could have done the same with the major energy companies 🤷‍♂️....quite happy fir it to explain why not, as I don't know.

WorldChampions1902

Just had a colleague moaning to me about the likelihood of him having to pony up even more money on energy to subsidise the least well off. He doesn’t see why he should pay more for his gas and electric to help the vulnerable and he suggested that the government increase the existing Warm House Discount subsidy instead.

At which point, I explained that he already pays for that through his current bills and has done for years - the Treasury don’t contribute a penny. I can understand his misconceptions given the number of times this Junta has stated, “one of the government initiatives to help is the Warm Home Discount scheme”, blah blah blah. It is deliberately couched in a way to make it sound like the this scheme is taxpayer funded. Nope! He wasn’t happy 😆 

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Yip, most people won't see any difference whatsoever, and then have to pay £40 extra every year for the privilage.

I'd rather not have it tbh.  If it were £500 or even £1000 then that's a completely different matter, but £200.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, micole said:

France have told energy giants EDF they can only raise their prices by 4% . Apparently EDF will take a 8 billion euro hit. I don't suppose we could have done the same with the major energy companies 🤷‍♂️....quite happy fir it to explain why not, as I don't know.

EDF is state owned, so the French Government can tell it to cap it's prices and they have to do it.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

EDF is state owned, so the French Government can tell it to cap it's prices and they have to do it.

Ah.....ok, thanks. Pity we sold our energy companies off then...😧

WorldChampions1902

One other thing. Around another £80 to £100 is added to our bills to cover the costs of shifting customers of the 28 companies that went bust last year, to alternative suppliers.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

So much for interference from the overbearing EU we were all told about prior to Brexit. Another lie exposed but nobody will highlight it . 

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/Fuel-prices-have-only-risen-by-2-5-since-the-Government-discount-was-applied

Edited by Imaman

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

One other thing. Around another £80 to £100 is added to our bills to cover the costs of shifting customers of the 28 companies that went bust last year.

That's covered by the almost doubling in the electricity standing change everyone got last month. 

40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, most people won't see any difference whatsoever, and then have to pay £40 extra every year for the privilage.

I'd rather not have it tbh.  If it were £500 or even £1000 then that's a completely different matter, but £200.

Exactly this. 

WorldChampions1902
59 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Think about the ‘nest-leavers’ who will eventually leave home and have to repay that ‘loan’, without ever having received such ‘loan’ in the first place. Make the Mafia and Loan Sharks look positively charitable.