Novak Djokovic

Muppetboy

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, escobri said:

Cheers, I went away in a huff 😠🤣

Our double boosted Micro Chips allow us to post links with an auto-correct function.  

You should get with the program......

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• redjambo

• escobri

• Geoff Kilpatrick

40 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nothing.

He basically said that everyone knew the score with regards to getting into Australia and Djokovic is being a dick. 

He said the first bit but not the second bit, although both parts are true.

6 minutes ago, escobri said:

Cheers, I went away in a huff 😠🤣

You should do it more often. ;)

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Our double boosted Micro Chips allow us to post links with an auto-correct function.  

You should get with the program......

Waiting for the quattro version 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I have seen a few Australians saying that their Governments etc should have handled the situation better, but I'm not sure they could.  They got him in on the exemption, all was going to be fine, then the dick tweets from the tarmac as he is about to fly out that he's better than everyone else as he can get an exemption that they can't, look at me I'm not Vaxes but I can get in anyway and ****s the Authorities right over.

It is a situation entirely of his own making and the actual Vax/Unvax and entry rules are almost an irrelevance. He created the situation where it had to be shown everyone was going to be treated equally, when in reality that was not what was going to happen - well now it is.

To be honest, I think there would have been a bit of a shit show, even if he hadn't made that tweet, once he got in to Australia and people started questioning what his exemption actually was. However, it would have been far more manageable by the authorities and he would have no doubt ended up playing. In tweeting when he did, he dramatically reduced his chances of getting in. It was very ill-advised, a bit like someone telling you that they're coming to get you and thus giving you ample time to prepare your defences.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yep, the nod and a wink has been exposed. Tennis Australia are fecked.

Yep 

5 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I have seen a few Australians saying that their Governments etc should have handled the situation better, but I'm not sure they could.  They got him in on the exemption, all was going to be fine, then the dick tweets from the tarmac as he is about to fly out that he's better than everyone else as he can get an exemption that they can't, look at me I'm not Vaxes but I can get in anyway and ****s the Authorities right over.

It is a situation entirely of his own making and the actual Vax/Unvax and entry rules are almost an irrelevance. He created the situation where it had to be shown everyone was going to be treated equally, when in reality that was not what was going to happen - well now it is.

Being a tosser is no reason to go back on the exemption.

He was legally approved by the rules put in place and yet was denied entry by the very same people and is now being publicly humiliated.

Personally i think he should be vaccinated but he chose not to and took his chance with the rules. Assuming he has not bribed anyone then he had done it by the book.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, nothing disrespectful in stating that Djokovic like every other player knew the entry rules months ago.

If he was told months ago that no vaccination = no entry and there are NO exemptions then i suspect he would given the tournament a miss.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Being a tosser is no reason to go back on the exemption.

He was legally approved by the rules put in place and yet was denied entry by the very same people and is now being publicly humiliated.

Personally i think he should be vaccinated but he chose not to and took his chance with the rules. Assuming he has not bribed anyone then he had done it by the book.

This is wrong. The original exemption was granted by Tennis Australia, merely allowing him to play in the tournament. He was denied entry by Border Force Australia using *their* rules, which allow (or not) entry into the country, which turn out not to be the same rules Tennis Australia used. It was most definitely not "the very same people".

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

He said the first bit but not the second bit, although both parts are true.

Why do you insist on letting the truth get in the way of my shit posting style? 

Tough gig ☹️

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If he was told months ago that no vaccination = no entry and there are NO exemptions then i suspect he would given the tournament a miss.

Yes, he would have done, and that situation was indeed the case months ago. It was only relatively recently that Tennis Australia, under pressure no doubt to get their top star there at all costs, introduced their exemption route.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Why do you insist on letting the truth get in the way of my shit posting style? 

Tough gig ☹️

It's not shit, it's just colourful. :D

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Norrie ? Surely not misery guts Murray? U been smoking the funny stuff ? :) 

My reference to a Brit was in the context of Emma Raducanu coming from nowhere at the US Open. We don't have any players anywhere near having a shout at this one. Norrie's been great but needs a slower surface. Apart from Evans and Murray, I don't think there are any other Brits in the draw. Kyle Edmund had the game for Oz but he's well off the radar. 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh the seethe on this would be off the scale. : ) akin to Scotland losing Indy 2 judging by whom is being critical of Novak. lol Yes if he gets to play he will seriously be firing on all cylinders and swat anyone in his way. Nadal better watch out :)  and IM  a Nadal fan .  But Novak never has received the praise he deserves. 20 Slams . 7 years end of year number 1 . I think most Masters titles too

More than Nadal or Federer. They weren't called "Masters 1000" when Jimmy Connors was on the scene but I'm sure he'd have had a crack at setting a record. He's got the overall record or tournament wins but was notorious for turning up to the nearest tournament just so he could pick up more winnings. 

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

This is wrong. The original exemption was granted by Tennis Australia, merely allowing him to play in the tournament. He was denied entry by Border Force Australia using *their* rules, which allow (or not) entry into the country, which turn out not to be the same rules Tennis Australia used. It was most definitely not "the very same people".

Fair correction.

It beggars belief therefore that Tennis Australia would try to do this without some sort of commitment from the Border Force.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Fair correction.

It beggars belief therefore that Tennis Australia would try to do this without some sort of commitment from the Border Force.

Indeed. There are a few possibilities though. For example, there's the possibility that they got some sort of commitment from the Victorian government but when the shit hit the fan, the Victorian government walked away and handed responsibility over to the Federal Government. You're right though, there has been a distinct lack of overall coordination.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Fair correction.

To be fair it's not Tennis Australia's responsibility to make sure he gets into the country. They gave him and exemption to play in their tournament and it was up to him and his team to ensure he was able to get the correct visa to do so. It seems as though they haven't done that.

I sympathise with his plight and respect (and I think agree with) what his views appear to be, but that doesn't mean he can do what he wants.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

My reference to a Brit was in the context of Emma Raducanu coming from nowhere at the US Open. We don't have any players anywhere near having a shout at this one. Norrie's been great but needs a slower surface. Apart from Evans and Murray, I don't think there are any other Brits in the draw. Kyle Edmund had the game for Oz but he's well off the radar. 

More than Nadal or Federer. They weren't called "Masters 1000" when Jimmy Connors was on the scene but I'm sure he'd have had a crack at setting a record. He's got the overall record or tournament wins but was notorious for turning up to the nearest tournament just so he could pick up more winnings. 

Oh yeah forgot about her. Actually unsure how the womens game will go this year. Is Serena playing ? Hopefully she eventually gets the 24th which would rub salt in the wounds of the Aussies but I doubt she will. Yes Dan and Cameron are good but prob quarter finalists if that really.  Yes I thought Novak had that record too. Why isnt he considered the best then ? Whats your view as you certainly know your tennis? I think its due in part to his personality and on court behaviours and not his actual tennis. I think Fed is more popular due to his temperament on court and his all round game where he can be play some " delightful" shots so hes pretty entertaining to watch. 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Fair correction.

Hes been set up. Hes a patsy. The Aussie govt just wanted to flex their muscles. 

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Fair correction.

I've just had a wee look at https://www.theage.com.au/national/how-did-we-get-here-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-djokovic-mess-20220107-p59mk9.html, Nookie, and it claims that:

The federal government has since released excerpts of letters it sent to Tennis Australia stating that the exemption being relied on that seemed to appear in advice from Australia’s expert vaccine advisory panel ATAGI (of a recent COVID infection standing in place of vaccination) was not considered sufficient for international arrivals. On Friday, Acting Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said Tennis Australia did not inform her government about that rule. It does not appear the tennis organisation told players either.

From this, it looks as if the blame lies squarely at Tennis Australia's door.

Whilst I'm saying the rules are the rules and he needs to abide by them if he wants to enter another country I really don't get why he can't just provide a negative test on arrival and everyone's a winner. 

The importance seems to be being placed on being vaccinated rather than his risk of spreading Covid.

John Findlay
48 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yep, the nod and a wink has been exposed. Tennis Australia are fecked.

Yes, all done in the name of millions of dollars of sponsorship.

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Whilst I'm saying the rules are the rules and he needs to abide by them if he wants to enter another country I really don't get why he can't just provide a negative test on arrival and everyone's a winner. 

The importance seems to be being placed on being vaccinated rather than his risk of spreading Covid.

Stop with the common sense please. 🤣

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've just had a wee look at https://www.theage.com.au/national/how-did-we-get-here-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-djokovic-mess-20220107-p59mk9.html, Nookie, and it claims that:

The federal government has since released excerpts of letters it sent to Tennis Australia stating that the exemption being relied on that seemed to appear in advice from Australia’s expert vaccine advisory panel ATAGI (of a recent COVID infection standing in place of vaccination) was not considered sufficient for international arrivals. On Friday, Acting Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said Tennis Australia did not inform her government about that rule. It does not appear the tennis organisation told players either.

From this, it looks as if the blame lies squarely at Tennis Australia's door.

That's the way it's looking to me, that Tennis Australia has overstepped it's authority but issuing exemptions which it didn't have the power to do so or at least weren't worth the paper they were written on.

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The arguments seem to be that if he isn't vaccinated he's more likely to pick it up and pass it on once in Australia.

The Australian government seem to have decided that ensuring that all visitors are vaccinated is a reasonable harm reduction strategy.

So, the main contention here appears to be that Tennis Australia's position, according to reports, was that the easiest way to enter Australia was to be fully vaccinated, but added: “You may also enter Australia with an overseas medical exemption certificate.”

On the other hand, the federal government's official position is that individuals must be fully vaccinated, as defined by the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), in order to gain quarantine-free entry into Australia, regardless of whether they have received foreign vaccination exemptions. That definition is available here. Novak's lawyers on Monday may well be concentrating on the wording of the "Past SARS-CoV-2 Infection" section of that definition, although the first paragraph of that section appears to indicate that the "infected within the last 6 months" route only applies in cases of acute major medical illness.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's the way it's looking to me, that Tennis Australia has overstepped it's authority but issuing exemptions which it didn't have the power to do so or at least weren't worth the paper they were written on.

The latter. Tennis Australia were able to grant exemptions to anyone they so desired to enter their tournament. However, the individuals granted those exemptions also had to conform to state Covid-related law and federal legal immigration requirements. The ideal situation would have been one in which the tennis authorities ensured that their exemptions were compatible with both state and federal law.

Edited by redjambo

I P Knightley
29 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

The confusion is about who said what to Djoko and whether they had the authority to do so. 

Tennis Australia issued the exemption, saying he could get into the tournament.

The Aussie Border Force insist that no one gets in the country without a double vaccine or one of their qualifying exemptions. 

TA and ABF hadn't agreed between themselves on protocols. 

Had Djoko arrived a week ago, he could have sat out 14 days quarantine like any other goon who rocks up at the border. He'd have then been able to saunter along to the Open and they'd have let him in with the nod and wink based on the exemption they'd issued. 

Someone should have explained that to him and perhaps he'd have kept his trap shut and not posted that insta. 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Thats far too sensible.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

So, the main contention here appears to be that Tennis Australia's position, according to reports, was that the easiest way to enter Australia was to be fully vaccinated, but added: “You may also enter Australia with an overseas medical exemption certificate.”

On the other hand, the federal government's official position is that individuals must be fully vaccinated, as defined by the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), in order to gain quarantine-free entry into Australia, regardless of whether they have received foreign vaccination exemptions. That definition is available here. Novak's lawyers on Monday may well be concentrating on the wording of the "Past SARS-CoV-2 Infection" section of that definition, although the first paragraph of that section appears to indicate that the "infected within the last 6 months" route only applies in cases of acute major medical illness.

Red...hope a flight over to there and help him out.  You sound like you know your stuff. :) 

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

The confusion is about who said what to Djoko and whether they had the authority to do so. 

Tennis Australia issued the exemption, saying he could get into the tournament.

The Aussie Border Force insist that no one gets in the country without a double vaccine or one of their qualifying exemptions. 

TA and ABF hadn't agreed between themselves on protocols. 

Had Djoko arrived a week ago, he could have sat out 14 days quarantine like any other goon who rocks up at the border. He'd have then been able to saunter along to the Open and they'd have let him in with the nod and wink based on the exemption they'd issued. 

Someone should have explained that to him and perhaps he'd have kept his trap shut and not posted that insta. 

Quarantine hotels were used last year so I don't understand why this wasn't used an uncontroversial means of entry. Someone must have gave him an assurance of entry or maybe his team just made a james hunt of it. 

14 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

The arguments seem to be that if he isn't vaccinated he's more likely to pick it up and pass it on once in Australia.

The Australian government seem to have decided that ensuring that all visitors are vaccinated is a reasonable harm reduction strategy.

Surely he's very unlikely to pick it up and pass it on in Australia? They're doing such a great job of keeping cases very low, there will be strict Covid protocol at the tournament and surely he'll be in some sort of bubble for the duration. He won't want to pick it up and have it derail his attempt to get 21 titles.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, escobri said:

Quarantine hotels were used last year so I don't understand why this wasn't used an uncontroversial means of entry. Someone must have gave him an assurance of entry or maybe his team just made a james hunt of it. 

Yes someone has made a mess of it all

Just now, Taffin said:

Surely he's very unlikely to pick it up and pass it on in Australia? They're doing such a great job of keeping cases very low, there will be strict Covid protocol at the tournament and surely he'll be in some sort of bubble for the duration. He won't want to pick it up and have it derail his attempt to get 21 titles.

Oh come on your being far too sensible again. Yes this is the country who has boasted continually about their covid free state. So whats the issue. Isolate him . Then let him play. 

24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He could do that, but it would require the negative test to be given 7 days after his arrival and therefore stay in a qaurantine hotel. He would rather not do that. There are restrictions on large events in Australia (like everywhere else) that means those attending these events must show their vaccine passport and the players are no different. He of course does not have a vaccine passport, but was given an exemption to form Tennis Australia to play.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Red...hope a flight over to there and help him out.  You sound like you know your stuff. :) 

:D I would be useless as a lawyer, James. From what I can see, he hasn't got a leg to stand on. However in saying that, once when I had some free time in London, I went to the Old Bailey and sat through a trial. By the end, before the decision was made, I had come to the decision that the accused was innocent. The judge then declared something along the lines that he had never seen such an open and shut case of the guy being guilty. So, my opinion on legal matters should be taken with a huge pillar of salt.

Back to 2005
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Plus the fact he has already had covid and therfore has natural immunity. 

But this is political and nothing to do with health.  Just check out the Northern territory politician who has announced the unvaccinated cannot work or exercise. Australia has gone beyond insanity. 

1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

Oh come on. Even you must recognise the fallacy of this statement now. There are a huge number of people who have caught Covid on multiple occasions.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, redjambo said:

:D I would be useless as a lawyer, James. From what I can see, he hasn't got a leg to stand on. However in saying that, once when I had some free time in London, I went to the Old Bailey and sat through a trial. By the end, before the decision was made, I had come to the decision that the accused was innocent. The judge then declared something along the lines that he had never seen such an open and shut case of the guy being guilty. So, my opinion on legal matters should be taken with a huge pillar of salt.

LOL awe you might have still be correct. !  Oh id love to go to the Old Bailey.  As a member of the public ofcourse :) One of my great interest is famous murder trials and there have been so many there. In fact any trials. Crippen, Lord Haw haw , Ruth Ellis , Christie , George Joseph Smith . Oscar Wilde et al. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

But this is political and nothing to do with health.  Just check out the Northern territory politician who has announced the unvaccinated cannot work or exercise. Australia has gone beyond insanity. 

Yes they are off their trolley now. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

The Territory is trying to protect its significant indigenous population. My heart bleeds for the lockout victims - not.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Sports authorities have a long history of doing whatever their superstar names want them to do.

Unfortunately for them, every now and again they collide with the real world which quite rightly doesn’t give a **** about sports authorities or star names 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

LOL awe you might have still be correct. !  Oh id love to go to the Old Bailey.  As a member of the public ofcourse :) One of my great interest is famous murder trials and there have been so many there. In fact any trials. Crippen, Lord Haw haw , Ruth Ellis , Christie , George Joseph Smith . Oscar Wilde et al. 

Good call. It would be fascinating to jump into a time machine and head back to witness trials like those.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Good call. It would be fascinating to jump into a time machine and head back to witness trials like those.

id love it. Love courtroom dramas in films and tv too. Fascinating trials really 

42 minutes ago, Taffin said:

36 minutes ago, escobri said:

Stop with the common sense please. 🤣

Common sense is everyone gets vaccinated unless there is a medical reason not to. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Common sense is everyone gets vaccinated unless there is a medical reason not to. 

In your opinion. 

Back to 2005
5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The Territory is trying to protect its significant indigenous population. My heart bleeds for the lockout victims - not.

Isn't the multiple vaccines they have taken not meant to protect them? 

How far would you go Geoff? Shoot the unvaccinated? 

Back to 2005
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

For what is now about as severe as the common cold. 

JudyJudyJudy

A good summary of it all explaining the complex situation ,Shes really good about explaining Aussie culture too

Edited by JamesM48

Just now, Back to 2005 said:

For what is now about as severe as the common cold. 

So in your world vaccination isn't needed.

Explain how that would work. UK Government said 800,000 deaths here. 

I P Knightley
33 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Why isnt he considered the best then ? Whats your view as you certainly know your tennis? I think its due in part to his personality and on court behaviours and not his actual tennis. I think Fed is more popular due to his temperament on court and his all round game where he can be play some " delightful" shots so hes pretty entertaining to watch. 

I'm certain that he is the best and have my theories about why he's the least loved of the three. 

Federer, as you say, gained popularity by having a fantastic style to watch and a calm temperament by the time he started winning. He threw many a tantrum through his late teens to about 21 but, a bit like Borg, the public never saw it. So we were treated to this charming, good-looking man who glided across the courts with a single-handed backhand that is a thing of beauty. No grunting; no picking his pants out of his crack; no arguing with umpires. The very thing that the tennis public (in all it's wisdom) wanted to see. I was a huge fan really until he put on that "XV" Sgt Pepper jacket at Wimbledon. 

Nadal came along very shortly after as the antidote to Federer with his cap-sleeved shirts, pirate pants and phenomenally muscly game. Where Fed was gliding, Nadal was brutalising. The kids, especially, loved it. When I took my kids to tournaments, the places would be awash with shortarses wearing Nike headbands and long shorts. Strange thing that none of the kit manufacturers really targets the junior tennis player market, so what you get is fat old men in tennis clubs wearing the same kit that Federer wore two years ago - I digress...

ronnies-82-04.jpg

So the producer said...

Djokovic came along when both sides of the audience already had someone to cheer for. He challenged both of them, as did Andy Murray, so both camps in the audience didn't like that. He also showed disrespect to the game through the number of retirements he threw in. It wasn't a massive number but they were in high-profile tournaments and none of the others would do that. I think that Fed still has a record of never having defaulted from a match - after something like 1,300 professional matches. Other than just being very, very good at tennis, he didn't have a USP that the fans were looking for. When he became dominant, it was through bloody-minded focus and determination; switching diets and training regimes - basically, nothing interesting for supporters. Of course there were rumours (which a search of JKB might reveal that I perpetuated) of him gaining advantage through the use of hyperbaric chambers - not a cheat but... woooo!... "science"!!!

Federer & Nadal's longevity means that their fans have never had to go looking for another hero so Djoko, I would say, is a victim of timing. Similar with Andy Murray. Beyond some of the UK (those English fokkers still love Tim Henman) and, weirdly, New York, he doesn't have the following he deserved.