Novak Djokovic

Muppetboy

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Tell me then how we'd deal with Covid without vaccination. 

That's not the same as saying it's common sense for everyone one to get vaccinated.

Those who are vulnerable should of course, as should anyone else who wants to. 

Even now the younger age groups <44 there are more people in hospital with Covid than because of it. The risk isn't equal to all people. Novak (depending what his medical exemption was for) is very, very, very unlikely to have sever illness with Covid so why risk taking a vaccine (I know that also extremely low risk, I'm not a tinfoil wearer)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• redjambo

• escobri

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Back to 2005
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So in your world vaccination isn't needed.

Explain how that would work. UK Government said 800,000 deaths here. 

Nothing like 800k.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm certain that he is the best and have my theories about why he's the least loved of the three. 

Federer, as you say, gained popularity by having a fantastic style to watch and a calm temperament by the time he started winning. He threw many a tantrum through his late teens to about 21 but, a bit like Borg, the public never saw it. So we were treated to this charming, good-looking man who glided across the courts with a single-handed backhand that is a thing of beauty. No grunting; no picking his pants out of his crack; no arguing with umpires. The very thing that the tennis public (in all it's wisdom) wanted to see. I was a huge fan really until he put on that "XV" Sgt Pepper jacket at Wimbledon. 

Nadal came along very shortly after as the antidote to Federer with his cap-sleeved shirts, pirate pants and phenomenally muscly game. Where Fed was gliding, Nadal was brutalising. The kids, especially, loved it. When I took my kids to tournaments, the places would be awash with shortarses wearing Nike headbands and long shorts. Strange thing that none of the kit manufacturers really targets the junior tennis player market, so what you get is fat old men in tennis clubs wearing the same kit that Federer wore two years ago - I digress...

ronnies-82-04.jpg

So the producer said...

Djokovic came along when both sides of the audience already had someone to cheer for. He challenged both of them, as did Andy Murray, so both camps in the audience didn't like that. He also showed disrespect to the game through the number of retirements he threw in. It wasn't a massive number but they were in high-profile tournaments and none of the others would do that. I think that Fed still has a record of never having defaulted from a match - after something like 1,300 professional matches. Other than just being very, very good at tennis, he didn't have a USP that the fans were looking for. When he became dominant, it was through bloody-minded focus and determination; switching diets and training regimes - basically, nothing interesting for supporters. Of course there were rumours (which a search of JKB might reveal that I perpetuated) of him gaining advantage through the use of hyperbaric chambers - not a cheat but... woooo!... "science"!!!

Federer & Nadal's longevity means that their fans have never had to go looking for another hero so Djoko, I would say, is a victim of timing. Similar with Andy Murray. Beyond some of the UK (those English fokkers still love Tim Henman) and, weirdly, New York, he doesn't have the following he deserved. 

Terrific summary. Thanks for that 👌

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

That's not the same as saying it's common sense for everyone one to get vaccinated.

Those who are vulnerable should of course, as should anyone else who wants to. 

Even now the younger age groups <44 there are more people in hospital with Covid than because of it. The risk isn't equal to all people. Novak (depending what his medical exemption was for) is very, very, very unlikely to have sever illness with Covid so why risk taking a vaccine (I know that also extremely low risk, I'm not a tinfoil wearer)

Yeah

But the problem Djokovic has in the court of public opinion in Australia is 1. he is a major celebrity and as the clip above explained Australia doesn't let celebrities get preferential treatment, and 2. Djokovic has associated himself with the anti-vaxxers when Australia has one of highest vaccination rates in world.

Though again it's more about Tennis Australia not following Federal Government rules. 

7 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Nothing like 800k.

What Dominic Cummings said was the Government's estimate from March 2020. I'd say an underestimate. 

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm certain that he is the best and have my theories about why he's the least loved of the three. 

Federer, as you say, gained popularity by having a fantastic style to watch and a calm temperament by the time he started winning. He threw many a tantrum through his late teens to about 21 but, a bit like Borg, the public never saw it. So we were treated to this charming, good-looking man who glided across the courts with a single-handed backhand that is a thing of beauty. No grunting; no picking his pants out of his crack; no arguing with umpires. The very thing that the tennis public (in all it's wisdom) wanted to see. I was a huge fan really until he put on that "XV" Sgt Pepper jacket at Wimbledon. 

Nadal came along very shortly after as the antidote to Federer with his cap-sleeved shirts, pirate pants and phenomenally muscly game. Where Fed was gliding, Nadal was brutalising. The kids, especially, loved it. When I took my kids to tournaments, the places would be awash with shortarses wearing Nike headbands and long shorts. Strange thing that none of the kit manufacturers really targets the junior tennis player market, so what you get is fat old men in tennis clubs wearing the same kit that Federer wore two years ago - I digress...

ronnies-82-04.jpg

So the producer said...

Djokovic came along when both sides of the audience already had someone to cheer for. He challenged both of them, as did Andy Murray, so both camps in the audience didn't like that. He also showed disrespect to the game through the number of retirements he threw in. It wasn't a massive number but they were in high-profile tournaments and none of the others would do that. I think that Fed still has a record of never having defaulted from a match - after something like 1,300 professional matches. Other than just being very, very good at tennis, he didn't have a USP that the fans were looking for. When he became dominant, it was through bloody-minded focus and determination; switching diets and training regimes - basically, nothing interesting for supporters. Of course there were rumours (which a search of JKB might reveal that I perpetuated) of him gaining advantage through the use of hyperbaric chambers - not a cheat but... woooo!... "science"!!!

Federer & Nadal's longevity means that their fans have never had to go looking for another hero so Djoko, I would say, is a victim of timing. Similar with Andy Murray. Beyond some of the UK (those English fokkers still love Tim Henman) and, weirdly, New York, he doesn't have the following he deserved. 

Womens game will be wide open again. Just checked Serena isnt playing. 

FIMVTeJWUAEKnLk.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

But the problem Djokovic has in the court of public opinion in Australia is 1. he is a major celebrity and as the clip above explained Australia doesn't let celebrities get preferential treatment, and 2. Djokovic has associated himself with the anti-vaxxers when Australia has one of highest vaccination rates in world.

Though again it's more about Tennis Australia not following Federal Government rules. 

Australia are saying everyone should be treated the same though, so his celebrity and his views shouldn't matter?

Get a negative test, proceed imo.

All of that said, rules are rules so I don't have sympathy for him, but I do empathise with his views.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

Yes after watching that video I think hes on his way back home on Monday.

46 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Surely he's very unlikely to pick it up and pass it on in Australia? They're doing such a great job of keeping cases very low, there will be strict Covid protocol at the tournament and surely he'll be in some sort of bubble for the duration. He won't want to pick it up and have it derail his attempt to get 21 titles.

You're probably correct about the risk being minimal if he stayed in a quarantine hotel when he isn't playing. However, you can't have one rule for rich sportstars and another rule for everyone else. Other people that want to go to Australia for work and the Australian public would quite rightly ask questions if Djokovic gets special treatment.

As the Australian government has said, the rules apply to everyone.

I P Knightley
45 minutes ago, escobri said:

Quarantine hotels were used last year so I don't understand why this wasn't used an uncontroversial means of entry. Someone must have gave him an assurance of entry or maybe his team just made a james hunt of it. 

Redjambo's explaining it better than me. 

It seems that Tennis Australia were being sleekit in trying to get their superstar into the game but didn't cover all bases. 

I read on the BBC site that there have been a half dozen or more movie and music stars who've got into Oz without having to stay in the "Refugee" hotels - they've been put up in nice ranches and whatnot. If TA had their wits about them, Djoko would have had a couple of weeks in a nice mansion with tennis court, pool and hot & cold running nannies before strolling into the tournament. 

22 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

For what is now about as severe as the common cold. 

That's a very ignorant comment.

Back to 2005
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

What Dominic Cummings said was the Government's estimate from March 2020. I'd say an underestimate. 

The models have always been bang on right enough...

The figure is approx 170k at the moment and the vast majority have died WITH covid not because of it.

I P Knightley
9 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Womens game will be wide open again. Just checked Serena isnt playing. 

FIMVTeJWUAEKnLk.jpg

I can't make up my mind whether that wide a spread is a good thing or a bad thing. 

I really enjoyed the women's US Open - not due to the Britishness of the eventual winner but because there were a number of really entertaining matches played at a good standard. People winning rather than the others just getting beaten. 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I've just had a wee look at https://www.theage.com.au/national/how-did-we-get-here-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-djokovic-mess-20220107-p59mk9.html, Nookie, and it claims that:

The federal government has since released excerpts of letters it sent to Tennis Australia stating that the exemption being relied on that seemed to appear in advice from Australia’s expert vaccine advisory panel ATAGI (of a recent COVID infection standing in place of vaccination) was not considered sufficient for international arrivals. On Friday, Acting Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said Tennis Australia did not inform her government about that rule. It does not appear the tennis organisation told players either.

From this, it looks as if the blame lies squarely at Tennis Australia's door.

Looks that way.

If this drags on then i reckon a few more players will start publicly voicing their opinions, perhaps not in favour of Novak as such but definitely against the fact they have put him in that position.

Back to 2005
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

That's a very ignorant comment.

Why? Have you checked the symptoms for the latest variant? 

28 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

A good summary of it all explaining the complex situation ,Shes really good about explaining Aussie culture too

Australian's view of Australia seems very disjointed from what I think the rest of the world's view is on Australia. It reminds me of America.

6 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

You're probably correct about the risk being minimal if he stayed in a quarantine hotel when he isn't playing. However, you can't have one rule for rich sportstars and another rule for everyone else. Other people that want to go to Australia for work and the Australian public would quite rightly ask questions if Djokovic gets special treatment.

Totally agree with you, I'm just saying I don't agree with the rule. Whilst it's in place though, it has to apply to him the same as it would any other foreign national who is trying to work in Australia.

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I can't make up my mind whether that wide a spread is a good thing or a bad thing. 

I really enjoyed the women's US Open - not due to the Britishness of the eventual winner but because there were a number of really entertaining matches played at a good standard. People winning rather than the others just getting beaten. 

Unless you are a Serena fan then i think a spread is a good thing because it generally means it is more competitive. The new breed are seriously agressive as well which is exciting to watch.

It needed freshening. I was expecting a new era of Russian domination but it's great to see countries like Greece and Estonia in the Top 10.

Back to 2005
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Unless you are a Serena fan then i think a spread is a good thing because it generally means it is more competitive. The new breed are seriously agressive as well which is exciting to watch.

It needed freshening. I was expecting a new era of Russian domination but it's great to see countries like Greece and Estonia in the Top 10.

Womens tennis has never been the same since Gabriela Sabatini retired!

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I tend to view it as a bad thing . As i feel it indicates players are inconsistent and can’t string a few good tournaments together . I much prefer if there are 2/3/4 players who consistently and their becomes a great rivalry like Evert\ Martina or Steffi / Monica 

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Australian's view of Australia seems very disjointed from what I think the rest of the world's view is on Australia. It reminds me of America.

Yes I think it’s very much like America with even less culture  😂

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

As someone said she’s the face of an angel but walks like John Wayne 😂

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

She had a great topspin 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I think it’s very much like America with even less culture  😂

And far less religion.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

And far less religion.

True and that’s not a bad thing ! 

Back to 2005
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

As someone said she’s the face of an angel but walks like John Wayne 😂

😂 indeed!

JudyJudyJudy
The Real Maroonblood
46 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Like the UK.:lol:

Pasquale for King

Djokers family banging on about the West not accepting or liking him because he’s the best, I do t think history will bear that out when you compare it to others in the same position. 
Im not sure his popularity has much to do with Australia’s border restrictions, before during or after covid they're pretty strict. 

25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Im not sure his popularity has much to do with Australia’s border restrictions, before during or after covid they're pretty strict. 

The buggers at Melbourne airport confiscated my sandwich from me. Thankfully, I had declared that I had food on the customs form. I get the impression that I would have been looking at a heft fine if I hadn't.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

Why? Have you checked the symptoms for the latest variant? 

I have a friend who is suffering with it really badly. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

The buggers at Melbourne airport confiscated my sandwich from me. Thankfully, I had declared that I had food on the customs form. I get the impression that I would have been looking at a heft fine if I hadn't.

Yeah they’re not to be messed with it seems. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

She had a great topspin 

I saw her play at Craiglockhart many years ago, along with McEnroe.

She was a dab hand at keepy uppy with tennis ball and had more folk watching her warm up than the main match on at the time.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I saw her play at Craiglockhart many years ago, along with McEnroe.

She was a dab hand at keepy uppy with tennis ball and had more folk watching her warm up than the main match on at the time.

👌

37 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

We are living through the dumbest time in our history.

270207229_1065770314220055_7271252999864457091_n.jpg

Dearie me. Stop the world I want to get off. :) 

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Isn't the multiple vaccines they have taken not meant to protect them? 

How far would you go Geoff? Shoot the unvaccinated? 

Nah, I'd round them up as convicts and let them colonise an island...

4 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

👌

Dearie me. Stop the world I want to get off. :) 

Madness 🙈

Screenshot_20220107-225220_Telegram.jpg

Edited by escobri

10 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

I was threatened with deportation at Melbourne airport when I was trying to leave the country :lol:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Court documents submitted by Djokovic's lawyers claim he was given his exemption on 16 December.

I hope he loses but I think some politicians are about to be embarrassed, which is always delicious.

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Court documents submitted by Djokovic's lawyers claim he was given his exemption on 16 December.

I hope he loses but I think some politicians are about to be embarrassed, which is always delicious.

Very convenient that he’s just had Covid hope he isolated for the correct number of days they could ask for his mobile phone to check his whereabouts !!!!

Strange because on his twitter, he was at an event receiving an award on the 17th of December. Could have been before and he only got round to posting it on the 17th right enough

12 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Strange because on his twitter, he was at an event receiving an award on the 17th of December. Could have been before and he only got round to posting it on the 17th right enough

His foundation website says it was presented 'today' on their article posted on 17th December.

https://novakdjokovicfoundation.org/press-center/foundation-in-media/postage-stamps-for-the-best-novak-djokovic/

Just now, Sooperstar said:

His foundation website says it was presented 'today' on their article posted on 17th December.

https://novakdjokovicfoundation.org/press-center/foundation-in-media/postage-stamps-for-the-best-novak-djokovic/

Well, well, well how the turntables.......

I would imagie if he is found to be telling porkies, he will be banned from entering Australia for a wee while. Maybe I am jumoing the gun, but I tought covid infection and isolation started on the day you tested positive.

3 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Well, well, well how the turntables.......

I would imagie if he is found to be telling porkies, he will be banned from entering Australia for a wee while. Maybe I am jumoing the gun, but I tought covid infection and isolation started on the day you tested positive.

Proof, if it were needed, that philately will get you nowhere.

1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Proof, if it were needed, that philately will get you nowhere.

There's my new word for the day!

10 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Surely they aren’t that stupid to get simple dates wrong. 

Imagine if he got in and JKB grassed getting him kicked out 🤣