Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

Just now, Canscot said:

How can we stop it though. If a player decides running his contract down is in his best interest there is nothing we CAN do. The rule needs changing so players cannot talk to other teams until closer to the end of if not after the season ends. This nonsense of unsettling teams by offering PC agreements is benefitting only two teams in Scotland. As they are the only ones that can afford to offer life changing cash to players. Yes we cash in on it a bit too but the money we offer is hardly life changing. Meanwhile the sisters continue to rape and plunder with abandon keeping teams like us “in our place”. 

We can benefit from it too, but until we pay more in wages we won't keep or attract better players, 

Unless we get more investment that allows us to keep players and pay more, or operating a method we're we get return from selling players on, this allows us to have spare money in clubs budget which then allows the club too compete on far even level. 

Two methods either someone puts money in , or we try to make it? 

Fans are there to take this club to the next level, can the board put that in place and make it happen? 

Edited by Bongo 1874

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We don't let players run down there contracts? Anyone who has 18 months left or less is sold? Or asked if they will sign a new deal if we want to keep them, give them time to think about it, no respone and looking like player and agent holding out and prepared to run down punt. 

It's better to receive a fee than nothing? 

We knew Souttars contract situation, we got greedy we can say he's worth all sorts etc, the reality is he has been able to sign a pre contract. 

Could he have been punted on in summer yes 👍 but we thought he would sign a new contract, he should of been given a deadline if not, we are going to try sell you John, we turned down offers for him before the summer window closed. 

We have turned down offers for Beni and Devlin this transfer window. 

You can only punt or sell a player if he agrees to it though. 
so by your rule we should be shopping Barrie McKay around right now? Hmmm!  Think not. I can see a player going to another team mid contract if they offer him more money but otherwise? Why would he? Just stay and fulfill the contract he has and walk for free. 

Just now, Canscot said:

You can only punt or sell a player if he agrees to it though. 
so by your rule we should be shopping Barrie McKay around right now? Hmmm!  Think not. I can see a player going to another team mid contract if they offer him more money but otherwise? Why would he? Just stay and fulfill the contract he has and walk for free. 

If that player is an asset then yes, we should be offering Mckay a contract extension now, if a player gets to within a year left on his contract and you turn down a bid of £1.5mil too £2mil then that's not the players fault, that's bad business. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If playing him gets us 3rd and guaranteed European football then perhaps not. Sell him for 300 grand or keep him to secure potentially 3M and pay for a better replacement?

Souttar is an edge case regardless. Nobody would have bought him when he had 18 months left due to his medical history.

Just now, spacerjoe said:

If playing him gets us 3rd and guaranteed European football then perhaps not. Sell him for 300 grand or keep him to secure potentially 3M and pay for a better replacement?

Souttar is an edge case regardless. Nobody would have bought him when he had 18 months left due to his medical history.

So why did the club turn down bids for him before the summer window closed? 

From multiple English Championship clubs?. 

He may get us 3rd you're absolutely spot on, but at the same time we could of prevented this situation from happening, the overall anger is the fact he's joining rangers, when we could of sold him in the summer when bids came in. 

The club turned bids down as they thought they could get him to sign a new deal, or why offer him a new contract?. 

Its been well known Celtic and Rangers have been linked to him, Celtic and Rangers are both linked to Beni. 

We have to get it right when selling players. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

No one clapped until quite a way in. It was just getting annoying. When I think of some of the charlatans we've seen in maroon over the years, Souttar's never let us down on the pitch. As you say doesn't need to be clapped but neither does he need to be booed the whole way through.

It was cringeworthy. You're right mate, he has never let us down on the park always gave his best, same again last night. Robbie was justified in starting him as we'd be weaker without him. Time to get over it I think. 

2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If that player is an asset then yes, we should be offering Mckay a contract extension now, if a player gets to within a year left on his contract and you turn down a bid of £1.5mil too £2mil then that's not the players fault, that's bad business. 

When has that happened? Ever? We all know already in McKay’s case, his reason for being here is to showcase himself and move on. That is why he signed a two year deal.
 Now. Maybe if we get some Euro millions we will be able to keep him and others longer but otherwise he will be just like Souttar and get hoovered up ( probably around this time next season if he is still playing as well) by someone who will pay him more money. 

Re offering a contract with one year left. Great idea!  Wholeheartedly agree. But you can only lead a horse to water. So what then? Freeze him out if he doesn’t sign? What message is that sending to potential targets? 

Bottom line is a player signs a contract and os here for the duration unless and until he or both he and the club agree he can move on. As evidenced by Souttar playing today. Rangers and Hearts have not agreed a fee so here he stays. 
Remember Malaury Martin, Loic Damour? And a whole host of others. Could not give them away unless and until they agreed to go. 
By the way. I am not saying I have all the answers either but that is how it has panned out in the past. 

Edited by Canscot

30 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

So why did the club turn down bids for him before the summer window closed? 

From multiple English Championship clubs?. 

He may get us 3rd you're absolutely spot on, but at the same time we could of prevented this situation from happening, the overall anger is the fact he's joining rangers, when we could of sold him in the summer when bids came in. 

The club turned bids down as they thought they could get him to sign a new deal, or why offer him a new contract?. 

Its been well known Celtic and Rangers have been linked to him, Celtic and Rangers are both linked to Beni. 

We have to get it right when selling players. 

Because they evaluated that he was worth more to us playing, than the value of the bids.

It's quite simple really.

Savage has said all along he's in it to fight for titles. Souttar has been a key player this year in us progressing our style of play and ability to win matches.

Saw a Facebook post about fans booing soutter and Rangers fans saying we should grow up etc

Wasn't that when all their players were leaving when they went to the wall 

Just now, spacerjoe said:

Because they evaluated that he was worth more to us playing, than the value of the bids.

It's quite simple really.

Savage has said all along he's in it to fight for titles. Souttar has been a key player this year in us progressing our style of play and ability to win matches.

I agree, and im glad the club(Robbie) have said Souttar isn't at fault. 

But at the same time we knew we could of get a good fee for him, and also with the benefit of him not joining rangers directly from us, I wish we had got him tied down tbh and got a fee that would help the club, when you think of what Porto is being touted for, and what that huddy at the sheep went for. 

People can call Souttar a hun all they want boo him etc, he's clearly giving Robbie and Hearts 100% which is all we can ask really. 

We aren't at the stage yet as a club to be offering players £10k a week or more, but if we can continue to finish 3rd or even better that will help, European football would help too. 

And I don't think the likes of James and Ann are short of money, and she's seems to be good at finding us investment, can we take it to the next level but?

That has to be the goal, 

I think people don't take me seriously when i say we can challenge the old firm. 

I truly believe that and I'm glad Joe believes that too. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

It doesn’t sit right with me. 

It doesn't sit right with me that he has signed for rangers but is still getting a game for us. 

Would it be acceptable to boo him if he'd signed a pre contract for Celtic or hibs? 

I'm more angry at rangers than John souttar but can totally understand the fans booing him. 

14 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We aren't at the stage yet as a club to be offering players £10k a week or more, but if we can continue to finish 3rd or even better that will help, European football would help too. 

You've hit the nail on the head there.

And the problem is to replace a player worth £10k a week, like for like, you have to pay £10k a week, which we can't do.

So we're back to taking gambles on prospects.

Unless we turned down something crazy like 2 or 3M in the summer, I think we made the right call.

The clapping was one of the biggest embarrassments from Hearts I've ever seen tbh. Just can't imagine why anyone would clap a player that's put the club in this position, regardless of what you thought of the boos, I don't see how clapping the man was the next logical thing to do. 

4 minutes ago, Rooster20 said:

Souttar is a grown man. He made the decision to join Rangers, he can handle the consequences of this choice.

I agree. He knew the fans would give him grief when he signed. He got grief. 

Already said I don’t agree with booing every touch but that’s not because I’m bothered about Souttar. Souttar has done a fantastic job of looking after himself and nobody else so **** him. 

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

According to some on here yes 🤦🏽

Some on here will still be cheering for him when he plays for them tbf. 

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, J80MBO said:

Embarrassing night for our club.

Sadly not surprising. Morons need to stay away.

Quite a few so=called "Hearts fans" stayed away when they saw the team selection

4 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

We don't let players run down there contracts? Anyone who has 18 months left or less is sold? Or asked if they will sign a new deal if we want to keep them, give them time to think about it, no respone and looking like player and agent holding out and prepared to run down punt. 

We knew Souttars contract situation, we got greedy we can say he's worth all sorts etc, the reality is he has been able to sign a pre contract. 

Could he have been punted on in summer yes 👍 but we thought he would sign a new contract, he should of been given a deadline if not, we are going to try sell you John, we turned down offers for him before the summer window closed. 

We have turned down offers for Beni and Devlin this transfer window. 

How did I miss this? From whom?

Dennis Denuto

I can understand those that booed Souttar even though I didn't - I do not understand those that were clapping his every touch - the prick is a Rangers player now.

Just now, Sarah O said:

Some on here will still be cheering for him when he plays for them tbf. 

A totally rediculous and mad post.. you’ve got a strange fascination with red white and blue.

It’s all about what is best for the club, until we sign someone else, he has to play. Halkett injured, he had to take his place. Sticking him on the bench or stand and paying him whilst our performances would suffer makes no sense. Esp as we have a great chance off achieving something this season. 
BOOING every single touch isn’t going to help the team. It got tedious and rediculous last night.

He played well and so much of our play game goes through him…

am i happy he’s signed for Rangers, of course not but at the moment he’s a hearts player and one of the 11 on the park, so I wouldn’t boo him for 90 mins. I guess it gave some people something to do last night. 
We’ve not handed out that treatment to Brown or Griffiths or others … daft 

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I know there was interest from other clubs as mentioned by Robbie on scarves round the funnel podcast 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

People actually applauded him? :vrface:

Some Hearts fans are ridiculously wet.

His first few touches there was loud boos then going forward it was a mix of applause and boos. Guy behind me shouting at them calling them happy clappers! Cheering a rangers player 

August Landmesser

Next Weds there will be 1000 Celtic fans booing him, will folk be joining forces with Celtic fans to boo a player in a maroon jersey?

Just now, Newton51 said:

His first few touches there was loud boos then going forward it was a mix of applause and boos. Guy behind me shouting at them calling them happy clappers! Cheering a rangers player 

Whether you agree with booing him or not, clapping a guy him is so bizarre. 

Football is pantomime; booing a guy perceived to have screwed the club isn't mean or offensive, neither is clapping him of course but it just feels odd. It's like rooting for the bad guy in a film.

9 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I can understand those that booed Souttar even though I didn't - I do not understand those that were clapping his every touch - the prick is a Rangers player now.

Clapping was a reaction to people booking a Hearts player every time he touched the ball .

You don't understand that ?

Just now, john thomas said:

Clapping was a reaction to people booking a Hearts player every time he touched the ball .

Booing !

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

The booing was embarrassing.  Hearts fans are better than that.  

we are no different to anyone else, we have a player who signed for and wants to leave immediately to a rival. 

The problem was he should not have been selected and he should not be selected going forward. 

problem is Robbie is pretty stubborn and hearts will want to show rangers he has value to us to drive up the fee.

fingers crossed a deal Is done ASAP as it will be like this every time he plays 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can’t be sure, some would act with a bit more class. 
He’s a Hun now and deserves to be treated like one. 

What is it in Souttar's behaviour that has not been done with "class"? 

And if "classy behaviour" is so admirable, where does fans booing a Hearts player rank on that gauge?

From what I can see of the situation, Souttar has secured the best contract he has been offered, while one of the factors leading to his decision was having a seriously ill relative who he didn't want to leave behind. 

6 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Happy clappers 😂. Bringing the jkb banter to the games. Guaranteed whoever that was is a jkb user. 

Gimme an H...

I didn’t boo him because I think it will stop other players doing exactly the same. I boo’d him because he is all but a Rangers player now. We don’t need players who aren’t committed to our club playing for our team. I boo’d to let him know that.

Childish? Yes. The clapping was more embarrassing than the booing though. So desperate to show you’re looking at the bigger picture you forget that in a matter of days he could be pulling on a Rangers top wanting us to get beat…

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, john thomas said:

It was more embarrassing than the booing. You think clapping somehow mitigated the booing, or somehow makes John Souttar not want to be able to leave today.

it was weak as!! Imagine Celtic fans applauding a player who’d signed a pre contract with Celtic, or Liverpool fans applauding Raheem Sterling or countless other examples 

i didn’t boo bye, John Souttar deserves silence in my view.  But I support the right of others to vent and the clapping was worse

Edited by kingantti1874

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we are no different to anyone else, we have a player who signed for and wants to leave immediately to a rival. 

The problem was he should not have been selected and he should not be selected going forward. 

problem is Robbie is pretty stubborn and hearts will want to show rangers he has value to us to drive up the fee.

As I said, embarrassing.  

20 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

RN stated that there had been interest in the two of them on the latest ‘Scarves around the funnel’ podcast. 

1 minute ago, Hearts_fan said:

What is it in Souttar's behaviour that has not been done with "class"? 

And if "classy behaviour" is so admirable, where does fans booing a Hearts player rank on that gauge?

From what I can see of the situation, Souttar has secured the best contract he has been offered, while one of the factors leading to his decision was having a seriously ill relative who he didn't want to leave behind. 

Souttar has definitely looked after his own interests, completely ignoring Hearts and the Hearts support. That’s his right. I think it’s pretty disgusting of him to make the news about his sick relative public through Craig Levein tbh. 

It’s booing a once popular player who is stuck in limbo while waiting to join one of our bitter rivals. I don’t really see why anyone would expect anything different. 

Guest ToqueJambo

When did being a football fans become so complicated? An element of the Hearts support has really changed over the last 10 years or so. Booing our own players. Flying planes. Trying to bring back the bad old days.

What happened to just going to the match and supporting your team? Now it's all about sending the club a message about some thing or other or protesting some weird thing for a noisy minority. 

The only thing that will make any club really take notice is if people stop going, stop buying STs or protest en masse. Wee groups of laddies screeching or booing about this or that really isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. They just come across as twats as they did yesterday.

The vast majority of the support were neither booing or clapping, and the daft wee laddies at the back of section G attempts to start a song about Souttar being a sex offender were absolutely embarrassing, 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

As I said, embarrassing.  

disagree. I’ll be honest I’d be more upset if our fans were tolerant of one of our top players signing for a direct rival.

what would that say about us.. that’s the type of behaviour you see at non entity clubs who never expect to do anything 

I knew Souttar was going to get a bit of stick last night, but was surprised by just how much.  We probably feel that as fans we have gone more than the extra mile to make sure we still have a club, but we need to realise that this commitment will rarely be shared by all the players on the park.

I neither booed nor clapped - I'm fairly indifferent to him, now, and am a grown man.  But it feels like he's a player on loan from the Hun for whom we're paying full wages.  It's not a great position to have ended up in.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It was more embarrassing than the booing. You think clapping somehow mitigated the booing, or somehow makes John Souttar not want to be able to leave today.

it was weak as!! Imagine Celtic fans applauding a player who’d signed a pre contract with Celtic, or Liverpool fans applauding Raheem Sterling or countless other examples 

i didn’t boo bye, John Souttar deserves silence in my view.  But I support the right of others to vent and the clapping was worse

You support the right of our fans to boo someone playing for our team ?

Of course they have the right , doesn't stop it being embarrassing

8 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Yea, that's all it was. 

The first 3 or 4 boos were loud, louder than I thought it would be, and the clapping, IMO, was a reaction to that.

It was very pantomime and I'm glad it died down a bit...from both sides.

The point was made at the first touch, it could have been left there and wouldn't have led to clapping, which was mental really but in context.

1 hour ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

Saw a Facebook post about fans booing soutter and Rangers fans saying we should grow up etc

Wasn't that when all their players were leaving when they went to the wall 

Aye and they took Gerrard leaving really, really well 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Souttar has definitely looked after his own interests, completely ignoring Hearts and the Hearts support. That’s his right. I think it’s pretty disgusting of him to make the news about his sick relative public through Craig Levein tbh. 

It’s booing a once popular player who is stuck in limbo while waiting to join one of our bitter rivals. I don’t really see why anyone would expect anything different. 

Deary me.

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

This 👆… I didn’t/don’t boo players in maroon myself, but I can understand it and certainly won’t look down my nose at anyone who does it. He’s brought it on himself and Hearts fans spend a lot of money supporting their team, which gives them a right to make their feelings known… and if you don’t think fans will react to a player signing for a rival club, mid season, and then stating that he wants away immediately - you’re being very naive. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

When did being a football fans become so complicated? An element of the Hearts support has really changed over the last 10 years or so. Booing our own players. Flying planes. Trying to bring back the bad old days.

What happened to just going to the match and supporting your team? Now it's all about sending the club a message about some thing or other or protesting some weird thing for a noisy minority. 

The only thing that will make any club really take notice is if people stop going, stop buying STs or protest en masse. Wee groups of laddies screeching or booing about this or that really isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. They just come across as twats as they did yesterday.

that’s the point though.  John Souttar isn’t our player.. the huns have a contract with his signature on it! He actively wants out right now!! He absolutely 100% would rather have been anywhere else last nigh!! He shouldn’t be playing 

I agree with the rest of your post.  

3 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Aye and they took Gerrard leaving really, really well 

So them behaving like arseholes means we should too ?

Makes sense