Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

SectionDJambo

At least we have the intrigue of whether or not Robbie will pick him. Back in the roller coaster days of Romanov we wouldn't have had any doubts about what was coming next.

I reckon Hearts shouldn't play him tomorrow night, just to avoid the distraction to the team and fans. I don't care how the Scottish media would report it, or indeed Souttar getting a hostile reception from Hearts fans should he play. They don't report the sectarian abuse opposition players get at Ibrox and Parkhead during old firm matches.

I would imagine that Motherwell fans won't be singing Tony Watt's praises either, should he play for them again. Expecting the vast majority of football fans to behave in any other way, than with anger under these circumstances, is just being completely unrealistic.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A rare outbreak out of reason in 58 pages!

Yep. Didn't see that earlier. Absolutely spot on. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Laughable to think your plea to fans here will have any effect. You’re pissing in the wind with that. If he’s in the stadium, he’ll get pelters and it’ll unsettle the rest of the team. Shouldn’t be anywhere near Tynecastle he is a player that has left the club and should be treated as such. 

Fans that constantly boo a Hearts player during a game shouldn’t be anywhere near Tynecastle. They can gtf too.   If they don’t want to support the team then just don’t go. 

Skivingatwork
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Fans that constantly boo a Hearts player during a game shouldn’t be anywhere near Tynecastle. They can gtf too.   If they don’t want to support the team then just don’t go. 

but he’s not a Hearts player. He’s made it clear that he doesn’t want to play for the club and wants to be at a rival instead. Fair game imo…

You just know the prospect of getting a 7 figure player for half a mill isn’t even crossing the huns mind. It’s about paying even less. 

Shouldn’t be treated like a negotiation, that’s the price, pay it or wait. 

1 minute ago, Skivingatwork said:

but he’s not a Hearts player. He’s made it clear that he doesn’t want to play for the club and wants to be at a rival instead. Fair game imo…

He has signed a Pre Contract with another club. He is contracted and paid by Hearts for months yet.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

He’s no longer a Hearts player other than contractually. He is a ghost here. That happened the second ink went on paper on his deal, and he will be treated as such by the Hearts fans before, during and after his time at Rangers (when he’ll be at st Johnstone or something trying to get his career back on track)

24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

We could but again looking at the table slightly more likely we take points from Rangers than Celtic. I just don't see us as a threat to Rangers that would make screwing us a major objective for them.

That's your logical brain at work again FA. 

They will screw us and other clubs just because they can. 

That's how it works in the Hun mind

Hearts and the other clubs who voted them down will be made to suffer at every opportunity. 

THEY ARE THE PEOPLE remember  😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just saw this article, made me laugh

https://rangers.vitalfootball.co.uk/rangers-john-souttar-transfer-hearts/

Basically says Hearts fans need to grow up, Souttar owes us nothing and Hearts fans comparing this to Rangers fans reaction to Gerrard leaving is not the same, because Rangers fans were right to be angry...

Show us your money and we'll think about it.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Hearts and the other clubs who voted them down will be made to suffer at every opportunity. 

Yep. The liquidated club was full of it. This lot are bitter as ****. What Hearts have done by stabilising  finances creates a robustness against this garbage from Rangers. Pay up or **** off

Brick Tamland
14 hours ago, Canscot said:

No. I just have trouble understanding the vitriol directed at a man who through no fault of his own has been severely injured while employed by Hearts but has decided to move elsewhere for 3-5 times his salary. Think I can safely say close to 100% of the people slagging him off would be doing the same thing. 

You are spectacularly missing the point.
It is the way he has done it, he could easily have shown some loyalty to the club and the supporters that helped him through these injuries, and come back from them, by signing a contract extension with a modest release clause. That way, for the 100 or so games he missed because of his injuries, but got paid for, and for the fact that Hearts turned him into a full Scottish International, it would have been a way of him saying thanks for your support and showing a bit gratitude and loyalty, And, he would have still got 3-5 times his wages.
But he chose not to do that, he chose to go to Sevco for a medical and Hearts found out about that when Sevco announced it. That is incredibly disrespectful to everyone at Hearts, and I include the supporters in that, and it is a snakey, shitey thing to do and for that he deserves all the stick that comes his way.  
His choice to shite on us, our choice to either boo the ****er off the park or warmly congratulate him on becoming a Sevco player and wish him all the best… As a Hearts fan, and only Hearts, I’ll be choosing to not wish him all the best. 
The Sevco PR machine is in full flow and we will be painted worse than Boko Haram if we even think about booing him. 
**** John Souttar, **** Sevco and **** the lickspittle Scottish media. 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

He’s still a Hearts player every time he pulls that maroon shirt on.  And unless Rangers cough up this month that’s going to keep happening.  

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He’s no longer a Hearts player other than contractually. He is a ghost here. That happened the second ink went on paper on his deal, and he will be treated as such by the Hearts fans before, during and after his time at Rangers (when he’ll be at st Johnstone or something trying to get his career back on track)

You might as well be writing  for the Glasgow Times. Falling and tripping into every well trodden Rangers trap. How did you manage that post above that made such sense?

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

You might as well be writing  for the Glasgow Times. Falling and tripping into every well trodden Rangers trap. How did you manage that post above that made such sense?

Because I am talking rationally about the players situation while talking facts about the fans situation. Whatever way it goes, Hearts fans started hating John Souttar the second this went public. He’s a ***** and a rat. But from the point of view of the “negotiations” there are none. Rangers can either pay for their new player or leave him here to rot on the shelf for 6 months. 

Playing wise I’ve got no doubts if he was called on he would give his all. But I would certainly be slotting Moore into his spot in the 11 in the immediate term 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Fire_At_The_Disco
2 hours ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Pressley has went on record countless times since then to say sorry for what was an ill-judged action in the heat of the moment and also that it was aimed at Romanov himself for his mishandling of the club at the time, not towards the club itself or the supporters. 

It was still a shitty thing to do but he holds himself fully accountable for it. In my eyes as daft as it was it does not negate all the good he did for us.

Steven Pressley is a cup winning captain and a Hearts legend.

Sorry if it upsets you.

No he isny he’s a rat and it does upset me we have wee snowflakes in our support like yourself 😗

Time for Moore to step in and show us what he can do with a regular run of games.

For the first time in a long time we have decent back up in a few positions. Losing Souttar will have a smaller impact than losing a few other players in the squad. Beni has been out and we have survived, Souttar has also been out for long spells and we survived without him. Our biggest areas of concern would be Gordon and Boyce if they had been in the same contract

position as Souttar.

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, luckydug said:

My logical brain such as it is  failed me! I meant of course to say the table suggests we are more likely to take points from Celtic than Rangers. So I don't see screwing us over is a main objective for Rangers. 

Of course THE PEOPLE and logic ... 

12 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Hearts have stated that they want a fee (amount depends on which rag you believe) plus add-ons for him to move this month, otherwise he stays put.

No need for talks to be "on-going"

"Wanting a fee" would be a result of ongoing talks. 

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Just depends on how much they want him this season. The amount they offer will be a message to the player himself about how highly they rate him and how much they want him. They’re not going to offer £30k, it’s derogatory to the player and has zero chance of succeeding. They will basically have to meet Hearts asking price to get him now. 

Hearts have several million quid worth of European football to play for so I reckon it could be up to £1m price. It’s up to Rangers to meet our price in order to get him. He’s our player. The club doesn’t give 2 hoots about fan polls of fans in the huff that a player is leaving. 

To me the message seems to be, Hearts are financially comfortable and don’t need to sell, and not bothered for him to leave on a free as long as we achieve our objective of getting 3rd. We’re only letting him leave if we get the cash we need to replace him. 

So it just depends if Rangers are wanting him now or not. Either pay or wait.

So for that reason everything will depend whether they are selling Goldson, and how important GVB feels it is to get Souttar now. 

As for him continuing to play and give his all, to be honest I’ve got no doubts. He’s been out so long, he is enjoying his football. If anything he will need to up his game to impress his new manager. 

I’d imagine that having got Souttar signed on a pre-contract they have been actively trying to move Goldson on over the weekend. They will make money on both transfer fees and wage differentials. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’d imagine that having got Souttar signed on a pre-contract they have been actively trying to move Goldson on over the weekend. They will make money on both transfer fees and wage differentials. 

Thats what it comes down to, does anyone want Goldson if they do then a deals will be done on both sides.

13 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Just on my break at work. Just wanted to pop in to say he's a ****ing rat.

I find this kind of post difficult.....to disagree with.

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

Not sure why Hearts are in the headline. Ball is in the Rangers court.

Oh, come on. This is the way the weegie media has always operated. OF club comes in with derisory low-ball offer for a star player (OK, this time it’s a PCA, but still). Media rumbles into gear, and we get stories every day making the non-OF club out to be the bad guys by denying the player their ‘dream move’, despite the fact that the fault is clearly on the other side for trying to get the player on the cheap. After a few news cycles,  the non-OF club has an unhappy and unsettled player who no longer wants to be there, and certainly won’t contemplate a contract extension or anything else that might benefit their actual employer. So generally they cut their losses and take the crappy offer rather than keep playing a player whose head is elsewhere. As far as the media are concerned, job done.

This is aided by the prevailing culture in Scottish football, which elevates signing for an OF club into something far bigger than it actually is. So once the players knows one of them is interested, they will often turn down all other offers. It is also often aided by the banks, who pressurise clubs to sell to reduce their debt (thankfully no longer an issue for us).

Apparently "we need to grow up.  Soutar owes us nothing;" according yo the Glasgow Zombies?

Who exactly paid his wages while injured?  Who paid the costs of the fitness team while he recovered?

Does the pre-contract have a sell on clause, a la Paterson?

In footballing terms, dead to me!

Edited by colinmaroon

Brick Tamland
19 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Oh, come on. This is the way the weegie media has always operated. OF club comes in with derisory low-ball offer for a star player (OK, this time it’s a PCA, but still). Media rumbles into gear, and we get stories every day making the non-OF club out to be the bad guys by denying the player their ‘dream move’, despite the fact that the fault is clearly on the other side for trying to get the player on the cheap. After a few news cycles,  the non-OF club has an unhappy and unsettled player who no longer wants to be there, and certainly won’t contemplate a contract extension or anything else that might benefit their actual employer. So generally they cut their losses and take the crappy offer rather than keep playing a player whose head is elsewhere. As far as the media are concerned, job done.

This is aided by the prevailing culture in Scottish football, which elevates signing for an OF club into something far bigger than it actually is. So once the players knows one of them is interested, they will often turn down all other offers. It is also often aided by the banks, who pressurise clubs to sell to reduce their debt (thankfully no longer an issue for us).

The doc gets it 👍🏻

Maybe Hearts have some bargaining power by telling Rangers that he'll be playing  for us against Auchenleck (and hence unavailable for them in the Cup) unless they pay X  to take him BEFORE the 22nd Jan.   

Of course, that could backfire on us if Rangers are happy to wait till the summer - in which case we're back to the issue of what effect a disillusioned Hearts support would have on the team if he plays.

Worth a try though, imo

No longer active

So Souttar is off down the M8 in the summer, good luck to him. I only wish he had been less cloak and dagger with this. But it is what it is.

But what about now ? He is a Heart's player and we still need him to do a job for us. And it is in his interests to do that especially if he wants to be involved with Scotland this season.

I get the attitude some have with his decision, but some of us are hypocrites - how can on one hand we say he can rot in the reserves? which of course does us no favours, especially when we may well need a defender of his quality to be professional and ensure we achieve European football next season. (I might be in 2 minds about playing him against Sevco, but against anyone else, he would be shooting himself in the foot if he didn't give 100% to the goals of the team and play his best for Hearts) And then on the other hand expect Sevco to pay a fee for him to take him now ? - this weakens us even if we just use him as a back up player whilst starting Moore. Injuries can happen so we might need him more than we think! Those that don't want to see him in maroon again, I understand, but that is a passionate decision and not one properly thought through!

I think it is time to prioritise our aims and goals for the rest of the season. We have a player who has decided to move on in the summer, but he should be professional enough to do his job to the best of his ability for his current employers. A fair few fans will be vocal and treat him like a lepper. It will be interesting how he is treated if Robbie selects him and he bags a goal or 2 which he is more than capable of. 

He will get some stick and he is probably expecting that, but there is a wise time to do that, and we need to be savvy here. If we boo him whilst he is playing for Hearts then we may as well just let him rot in the reserves, but if we need him, and treat him right WHILST he is playing for us, he will see what it means to be Hearts through and through. We can aye boo him and tell him the error of his ways when he is not representing us!

We need to rise above this vitriol and save it for the right time. Hearts' season goals can be achieved.

Edited by George Cowie

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Maybe Hearts have some bargaining power by telling Rangers that he'll be playing  for us against Auchenleck (and hence unavailable for them in the Cup) unless they pay X  to take him BEFORE the 22nd Jan.   

Of course, that could backfire on us if Rangers are happy to wait till the summer - in which case we're back to the issue of what effect a disillusioned Hearts support would have on the team if he plays.

Worth a try though, imo

I doubt the Scottish Cup will be high up their list of priorities while they still look like winning the league and are still in Europe.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

So Souttar is off down the M8 in the summer, good luck to him. I only wish he had been less cloak and dagger with this. But it is what it is.

But what about now ? He is a Heart's player and we still need him to do a job for us. And it is in his interests to do that especially if he wants to be involved with Scotland this season.

I get the attitude some have with his decision, but some of us are hypocrites - how can on one hand we say he can rot in the reserves? which of course does us no favours, especially when we may well need a defender of his quality to be professional and ensure we achieve European football next season. (I might be in 2 minds about playing him against Sevco, but against anyone else, he would be shooting himself in the foot if he didn't give 100% to the goals of the team and play his best for Hearts) And on the other hand expect Sevco to pay a fee for him to take him now - this weakens us even if we just use him as a back up player whilst starting Moore. Injuries can happen so we might need him more than we think! Those that don't want to see him in maroon again, I understand, but that is a passionate decision and not one properly though through!

I think it is time to prioritise our aims and goals for the rest of the season. We have a player who has decided to move on in the summer, but he should be professional enough to do his job to the best of his ability for his current employers. A fair few fans will be vocal and treat him like a lepper. It will be interesting how he is treated if Robbie selects him and he bags a goal or 2 which he is more than capable of. 

He will get some stick and he is probably expecting that, but there is a wise time to do that, and we need to be savvy here. If we boo him whilst he is playing for Hearts then we may as well just let him rot in the reserves, but if we need him, and treat him right WHILST he is playing for us, he will see what it means to be Hearts through and through. We can aye boo him and tell him the error of his ways when he is not representing us!

We need to rise above this vitriol and save it for the right time. Hearts' season goals can be achieved.

Too reasonable and balanced a post.  But the frothers need something to froth about I’m afraid so it will fall on deaf ears. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Playing him helps Sevco. Let him rot and they might pony up before the deadline. 

**** Sevco, playing him helps Hearts, that’s all I care about.  

Skivingatwork
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He’s still a Hearts player every time he pulls that maroon shirt on.  And unless Rangers cough up this month that’s going to keep happening.  

He’s a Hearts player in contract only. Can we compare him to Halkett or Gordon? They are also contractually Hearts players and pull the shirt on.

The guy can’t be trusted to give 100% from now on as he’ll be looking to avoid injury. Not what we need in our push for European football.

I’d make it clear to him that he’ll be nowhere near the first team either in the match day squad, training or on match days at the stadium.

He can train with the young boys and let’s focus on people who do want to be here. 

Will screw up his place in the Scotland squad and sends a message to the rest of the squad.

As a supporter since the late 60's I'm well aware there has always been an element in our support who are willing to boo our own players even before the game has started. I remember nearly coming to blows with guys in the Shed when they booed Gary McKay's name every time he was read out as starting a game, the guy who has the record for the most appearances for Hearts.

What I'd like to ask those on here is what I asked back then, what are you hoping to achieve? Letting him know you're not happy about his move? Neither am I but what will booing him do? Did you see Michael Smith's reaction when he scored recently, cupping his ears at our own fans as he was the current whipping boy on here with regular posts about how he was 'past it'  and should'nt be part of the team etc. Do you think booing a Hearts player makes him want to play better? Do you think his teammates will be more motivated because they hear their own fans booing one of our most consistent players? 

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, Skivingatwork said:

He’s a Hearts player in contract only. Can we compare him to Halkett or Gordon? They are also contractually Hearts players and pull the shirt on.

The guy can’t be trusted to give 100% from now on as he’ll be looking to avoid injury. Not what we need in our push for European football.

I’d make it clear to him that he’ll be nowhere near the first team either in the match day squad, training or on match days at the stadium.

He can train with the young boys and let’s focus on people who do want to be here. 

Will screw up his place in the Scotland squad and sends a message to the rest of the squad.

You don’t know that.  Let’s wait and see.  

Seen quite a few things on Twitter and the likes saying the pre-contract was signing without telling the club anything. But as others previously mentioned, can a player have a medical at another club without permission from the current employer? Even if it is a pre-contract? Genuine question as I don’t know.

But I am reminded of when we announced Ikpeazu on a pre-contract and Cambridge made him sit in the stands. (Any shan patter geeks wanting to come in with jokes about him being crap and in the stands for that reason need not reply, nae need).

40 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Thats what it comes down to, does anyone want Goldson if they do then a deals will be done on both sides.

His agent has been working on his next move for months. Suspect they know where he is going come summer. 

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

**** Sevco, playing him helps Hearts, that’s all I care about.  

It also helps Sevco and Souttar, **** them both.

No longer active
2 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

He is a fringe Scotland player who will want to impress Steve Clarke and get involved in the road to Qatar! With his injury record it might be the only chance he has. I would think he will give 100% if we play him, it's in his best interests to do so.

BangkokHearts
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Just saw this article, made me laugh

https://rangers.vitalfootball.co.uk/rangers-john-souttar-transfer-hearts/

Basically says Hearts fans need to grow up, Souttar owes us nothing and Hearts fans comparing this to Rangers fans reaction to Gerrard leaving is not the same, because Rangers fans were right to be angry...

Irony is a Rangers mouthpiece pontificating about what is owed and to whom.

5 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

At the moment he is as much a Hearts player, contractually, as Moore, Cochrane, Woodburn, Haring, et al.  Do we leave them all sitting in the stand? 

No longer active
Just now, JackLadd said:

Sevco will come in with 150k on deadline day. Watch these shitebags. 

If we have brought someone in to replace him we should, if it is right for US, take it - otherwise we keep him as we will need him to achieve our season goals

36 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

In a nutshell👍

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

His agent has been working on his next move for months. Suspect they know where he is going come summer. 

Or he's running out of clubs to plead with as nobody wants the carthorse. :biggrin:

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

At the moment he is as much a Hearts player, contractually, as Moore, Cochrane, Woodburn, Haring, et al.  Do we leave them all sitting in the stand? 

More so than 3 of them as they are only on loan.