Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

Speaking of third, would it actually be fair to say, he's been our third best centre half in a back 3?

He did start the season well and we were singing his praises early on but Halkett has been a rock at times and seems to have improved as the season went on and Kingsley has been outstanding at either end of the park.

Agreed. 

I genuinely think he's a good player and actually under rated on here. 

Right up with CL, big Dave and Weir for me and he's still to hit his peak imo. 

However, as far as our team is concerned we needed a RWB more and a striker this window. 

We got the rwb, and now we have Moore and Smith to cover ch and  from what I've seen are more than competent - at least short term. 

I'm fairly relaxed about the defensive situation. 

We need a striker and imo another forward player more than we do a defender, especially if the quality is limited in January. No need to Bring in anyone just for the sake of it. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Rangers don't give a shit for any other club.

I doubt they even had meaningful talks to transfer this month.

Convince JS to sign pre-contract firstly, Hearts bargaining is completely diminished.

See fans cause uproar against JS, offer derogatory money to remove bad smell.

Job done.

I’ve never seen a pre-contact but you have to imagine it would be pretty clear on the player’s terms. Otherwise, no-one would sign one.  🤷‍♂️

interesting article. 

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/the-enforceability-of-pre-contracts-in-football/

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I'm pretty sure he was rangers but from Paisley.

Don't the weedgies always have a big team and a wee team?

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I understand much of what people are saying. There is naturally a lot of disappointment that he appears to be going to Rangers, and that we will get no finance from that movement. He isn't going to go during this window unless there is a significant amount of money received for him (imo). In that circumstance , and the fact we need to do everything we can to retain third place in the league and if we don't have a replacement for him then we have to make use of his continued participation in the back 4.

If the club feel someone can just slot in then so be it. Even at the moment it is just a pre contract agreement and come the end of the season they (Rangers) may decide not to proceed with it or Souttar himself may decide not to move it from an agreement to a contract.

Losing a good player is bad enough, potentially losing third place while trying to make a point would be equally disappointing.

Don't want a player who doesn't want to be here - especially one that is going to that lot.

It'll have a negative impact if he stays and that is more of a concern to retaining 3rd place

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I imagine he won’t be here that much longer. 

I hope you’re right. I’m not naive enough not to know players leave clubs all the time for more money, family reasons, trophy chasing, new challenge and whatever. Just be upfront with the club that stood by you through the shitty times and do the decent thing. He can’t be allowed to continue starting for us. If they don’t buy him before next weekend then Hearts need to be petty and cup tie him. If we don’t they’ll come back with a derisory bid after the game and then we’ll have a bigger decision to make. If we don’t cup tie him then we shouldn’t sell him this window unless it’s silly money. Don’t get me started if we play him against Celtic and then sell him. Especially if we get a result and it helps Newco.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I voted that he should play.  By that, I mean that he should be available for selection.

If Robbie decides that under the circumstances it would be best not to play Souttar, then fair enough.  But Souttar is an international player drawing a wage from Hearts, so I don't believe that he should simply not be considered.

Fair. 

But Tbh, Gnando and Damour draw a wage from us and I'm ****ed if I think they should play either. 🤣

Different reasons Ofc. 

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye you are probably right.He is clearly a Goldson replacement for next season and not really needed for now.

From the Huns I’ve been arguing with on twitter they reckon he’s just a squad player not his replacement, hopefully they sell him in this window and need Souttar. 

2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I hope you’re right. I’m not naive enough not to know players leave clubs all the time for more money, family reasons, trophy chasing, new challenge and whatever. Just be upfront with the club that stood by you through the shitty times and do the decent thing. He can’t be allowed to continue starting for us. If they don’t buy him before next weekend then Hearts need to be petty and cup tie him. If we don’t they’ll come back with a derisory bid after the game and then we’ll have a bigger decision to make. If we don’t cup tie him then we shouldn’t sell him this window unless it’s silly money. Don’t get me started if we play him against Celtic and then sell him. Especially if we get a result and it helps Newco.

Whoever plays for Hearts I hope we beat Celtic. 

14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I voted that he should play.  By that, I mean that he should be available for selection.

If Robbie decides that under the circumstances it would be best not to play Souttar, then fair enough.  But Souttar is an international player drawing a wage from Hearts, so I don't believe that he should simply not be considered.

That's about where I am.

I think he needs to miss Tuesday unless Neilson takes the risky call to play him. If the Rangers don't cough up in the meantime put him on the bench for the cup game.

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

No its certainly not a market we've been very active in down the years.

Tam Flogel, S Adam I'm thinking as possible pre contracts and under Levein first time Mark De Vries/Dennis Wyness and Paul Hartley. Memory is hazy so maybe free agents rather than  pre contract 

It doesn’t seem to have been something that was used much, I would like us to do it a bit more if it’s happening to us then why should we be different. Only Hearts. 

I don't actually have an issue with him signing for Rangers, he is after all free to choose who he wants to play for when he becomes a free agent and from his perspective probably the best offer available for obvious reasons.

The problem I have with this whole thing is that he has signed and allowed Rangers to announce this which is obviously a blatant attempt to force a move now, while under contract as a Hearts player. It is disrespectful to the club, the fans, his team mates and it undermines us by allowing Rangers to bully us into selling him for a nominal fee.

If John had agreed to sign in principle with Rangers when his contract ended without announcements or forcing a move through underhand tactics but instead gave 100% for us now until the end of the season, he would have left with many of our best wishes.

He chose the wrong way to go about this so he can go and take his face for a shite as far as most of us are concerned and he can certainly never play for Hearts again. Absolutely no way.

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Great minds.... 

Indeed. 

7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Not to detract from your point but when he was partnered with Berra, it was Berra who would go up the park while Souttar stayed back. 

True, and obviously stopping goals is more part of his job than scoring them. The appearance stat makes dismal reading though. We definitely haven’t had value for money from him. 

7 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

Is he? Makes it even worse 

I’m sure it was mentioned a while back he had political allegiances that are distasteful to many people in Scotland. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I don't actually have an issue with him signing for Rangers, he is after all free to choose who he wants to play for when he becomes a free agent and from his perspective probably the best offer available for obvious reasons.

The problem I have with this whole thing is that he has signed and allowed Rangers to announce this which is obviously a blatant attempt to force a move now, while under contract as a Hearts player. It is disrespectful to the club, the fans, his team mates and it undermines us by allowing Rangers to bully us into selling him for a nominal fee.

If John had agreed to sign in principle with Rangers when his contract ended without announcements or forcing a move through underhand tactics but instead gave 100% for us now until the end of the season, he would have left with many of our best wishes.

He chose the wrong way to go about this so he can go and take his face for a shite as far as most of us are concerned and he can certainly never play for Hearts again. Absolutely no way.

This guy gets it. Well said sir. All we deserved was a bit of RESPECT John.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

Indeed. 

True, and obviously stopping goals is more part of his job than scoring them. The appearance stat makes dismal reading though. We definitely haven’t had value for money from him. 

I’m sure it was mentioned a while back he had political allegiances that are distasteful to many people in Scotland. 

Everyone that votes in this country has political allegiances that are distasteful to many in Scotland. Even if you support by far the most popular party the majority will still find it distasteful!

43 minutes ago, stan said:

That works both ways though. Players can leave for Celtic as Hartley did, yet still maintain a bond. Souttar's departure is a complete rejection of Hearts and the support will naturally reciprocate that and reject him.

Exactly this. There is a way to go about your business in a non-disrespectful or ratlike fashion. SPH even after his Celtic spell will likely never need to buy a pint in Gorgie. Pressley and now this rodent on the other hand...  Even other ones like Templeton or Wallace managed to maintain a level of decency. 

4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Everyone that votes in this country has political allegiances that are distasteful to many in Scotland. Even if you support by far the most popular party the majority will still find it distasteful!

I’m sure you knew what I meant. 

2 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

I’m sure you knew what I meant. 

I am not sure I do. 

What do his political allegiances have to do with us? If he is Tory then it’s probably to do with protecting his 6-figure income as much as anyone. 

south morocco
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Exactly this. There is a way to go about your business in a non-disrespectful or ratlike fashion. SPH even after his Celtic spell will likely never need to buy a pint in Gorgie. Pressley and now this rodent on the other hand...  Even other ones like Templeton or Wallace managed to maintain a level of decency. 

It’s usually called having class

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Yip

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding this, won't we get a fee if Souttar moves now, but nothing if he waits until the season ends?  Moving now wouldn't be the worst thing.

Depends on the fee. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

This guy gets it. Well said sir. All we deserved was a bit of RESPECT John.

Tbf, He is "Going West"... 

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

well said.. nail on head here 

John Souttar playing for us will lead to vitriol from the stands including me which in turn will no doubt affect the team and possibly undo all the good work of the season this far so in no way, shape or form should he be in the squad never mind the team. Not one player is bigger than the team especially one that is disappearing to another competitor. 

Edited by Snedds76

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I am not sure I do. 

What do his political allegiances have to do with us? If he is Tory then it’s probably to do with protecting his 6-figure income as much as anyone. 

I didn’t care for his political leanings while he played for us, but while he was a committed Hearts player I overlooked them, as I have done with several players shortcomings (in my eyes) over the years. He’s no longer committed to Hearts, so I no longer have feel the need to overlook his flaws (again in my eyes). That ok for you?

He should play in the cup and against Celtic. We should make that clear to Sevco. If they want him earlier £1m plus 20% sell on. They may actually prefer him to line up against Celtic anyway.

Psychedelicropcircle

Can’t help but think he’ll spend large chunks playing within himself through there. Would have been a challenge in England week in week out. 

Hope he FO this month. 

Well said! 👍

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Imagine he stays, plays and we win the sc. 

😳

Got a better thing to imagine, we cup tie him then beat the huns in the final. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, EH11 2NL said:

Got a better thing to imagine, we cup tie him then beat the huns in the final. 

images (29).jpeg

Only 3 more sleeps till we can all sing "Souttar, Souttar get to ****" and Boooooooooo till our viens burst out our collective temples. 

More exciting than Xmas! 

44 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

100% agree 

Neil Mccanns Wand
3 hours ago, lost in space said:

He has committed himself to the huns. He may be able to continue to show commitment to us on the park though. He will need to play well if he wants a Scotland place - so if his standards drop he will lose out.

Do you think he’d prefer Hearts or Rangers to finish 2nd this season?

5 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

A good example of 100% failing to understand what I asked.

As is yours. Try reading my comment in the context of your preposterous post.

7 hours ago, number witheld said:

Didn’t we just do what any club would do? What makes our treatment of Souttar particularly special? 

If you don’t understand that then you’re not much of a Jambo.

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Depends on the fee. 

500k plus add ons he can go now.

Unless 200k let's say makes a huge difference to whether we can recruit elsewhere, he stays.

Even if it is just to bring him in to train every day on his own.

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Mirror said:

He might be the difference in us getting 3rd place.

he is going to get absolutely massive abuse.  He could have been the difference.  Not now

What if  we play Rangers on the last day and we need a win to secure third and Rangers need a win to get their CL millions! No way should he play another game for the famous!

I can see The Rangers offering us a paltry amount of £120k at 11pm on deadline day.

Anything under £400k is an insult.

7 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

As is yours. Try reading my comment in the context of your preposterous post.

My post was a question.

A question? On a discussion forum? Fancy that. What was I thinking?

For the record, since you imagined that I might be happy for us to be a Rangers feeder club, there's no team on Earth I prefer Rangers to.

No, not one.

Edited by 4marsbars

40 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

He should play in the cup and against Celtic. We should make that clear to Sevco. If they want him earlier £1m plus 20% sell on. They may actually prefer him to line up against Celtic anyway.

This is where I am as we need to make a stand. If we don't they will get their way again and will continue do it over and over again.

Its not about the money its about setting a stance/Example so players understand in the future what this means.

The fact that he did not show the club that has developed and supported him through out most of hos career the common decency to tell them in advance that he was was going to do this shows a complete lack of disrespect. (i actually believe this is what rangers asked to do in order to put additional pressure on us to sell which is why I would prefer that we didn't to ensure that they don't get what they wanted) Otherwise this could have been handled out with the public arena so that all parties could come to a common agreement.

I fully understand that we will lose out financially but by selling we are not only giving in but we are strengthening one of our direct competitors . We have already said publicly that we will not let him go for anything less than a ridiculous offer (I presume we expected him to go down south btw) but if we expect the derisory amount that SEVCO will offer this will weaken us in future transfer negations. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, andyscott82 said:

Indeed. 

Yeah scoring isn’t his strong point, five career goals,  I think only two if which were headers. First CH I’ve ever seen TAKE corners 😱🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽🤪😂

4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

My post was a question.

A question? On a discussion forum? Fancy that. What was I thinking?

For the record, since you imagined that I might be happy for us to be a Rangers feeder club, there's no team on Earth I prefer Rangers to.

No, not one.

I prefer rangers to the rangers, what with them being dead now

:brucey:

• davemclaren changed the title to Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)