Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Donโ€™t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

29 minutes ago, Ked said:

No.

I support independence.

Just roll with it buddy.

@Smitheeย perhaps sees a certain style of posting that reminds him of Z.

He might even miss whatever he had going on with him.

๐Ÿ˜„

Sorry bud โ€ฆ style over my contentย 

5 hours ago, pablo said:

ย 

I don't believe in Unionism. Other than in the union between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.ย 

ย 

Scotland hater? Deary me.

ย 

What's the UK flag called?

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Itโ€™s a wee bit funny how those who were mocking and/or raging about Sunak and his plans to โ€˜outlawโ€™ criticism of the UK get their knickers in a twist about your Scottishness unless youโ€™re a full on woad-faced kilt-wearing Irn-Bru-swilling freedom-hollering nationalist.

Jonesy, you are naughty at times! ๐Ÿ˜‚

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This thread is now aids and might as well be closedย 

Itโ€™s gets a dose of the bad aids now and again ayeโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Konrad von Carstein
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just looking for balance and fairness.

We'll have none of that nonsense on this thread thank you very much!

:brooding:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Appears so :(

ย 

Last thing the world needs now is more nationalism of any form, IMO

ย 

ย 

IMG_20220812_145852.jpg

53 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

ย 

ย 

IMG_20220812_145852.jpg

๐Ÿ˜‚

โ€ They said he'd never be convincing as a Scotsman...well look at him now..an alcoholic racist ! โ€œ

Jeffros Furios
6 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

ย 

My vote is always up for grabs. I would vote for Truss over Starmer as things stand.

Truss reallyย :rofl:

That thing you do
7 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

ย 

My vote is always up for grabs. I would vote for Truss over Starmer as things stand.

The correct answer here is Id abstain in disgust at the choices.

ย 

Neither is competent or has anything to say of any use to Scotland.

dobmisterdobster
2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

The correct answer here is Id abstain in disgust at the choices.

ย 

Neither is competent or has anything to say of any use to Scotland.

ย 

I don't live in Scotland anymore

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Appears so :(

ย 

Last thing the world needs now is more nationalism of any form, IMO

Come on Jonesy, it's not nationalism wishing your country to govern itself. Are all countries nationalistic because they govern independently?

ย 

The Brits are more nationalistic based on those bloody UJs everywhere!

manaliveits105

Hopefully the penny is beginning to drop as to how shit the snp isย 

ย 

Labour retakes North Lanarkshire council after SNP leader quits

11 August 2022
Linden

IMAGE SOURCE,ย NORTH LANARKSHIRE COUNCIL

ย 
Image caption,ย 

Jordan Linden quit as leader of North Lanarkshire Council last month

Labour has retaken North Lanarkshire Council from the SNP three months after it changed hands in May's election.

The SNP had installed Jordan Linden, 27, as leader following gains at the polls, but heย resigned last month amid allegations of sexual harassment.

Labour retook power by a single vote at a meeting of the council on Thursday.

One SNP councillor defected to vote with Labour's amendment, which saw Jim Logue reinstalled as council leader just 84 days after being ousted.

The SNP gained three seats in May's election, before Mr Linden resigned over harassment accusations published in the Sunday Mail newspaper.

In a statement, he said that he had never "approached any personal interaction with ill intent", but accepted his behaviour at a party in 2019 had caused "a sense of discomfort".

Ainsley Harriott
38 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

ย 

11 August 2022
Linden

ย 
Image caption,ย 

Labour has retaken North Lanarkshire Council from the SNP three months after it changed hands in May's election.

The SNP had installed Jordan Linden, 27, as leader following gains at the polls, but heย resigned last month amid allegations of sexual harassment.

One SNP councillor defected to vote with Labour's amendment, which saw Jim Logue reinstalled as council leader just 84 days after being ousted.

The SNP gained three seats in May's election, before Mr Linden resigned over harassment accusations published in the Sunday Mail newspaper.

In a statement, he said that he had never "approached any personal interaction with ill intent", but accepted his behaviour at a party in 2019 had caused "a sense of discomfort".

Pleasing another Bigot emptied from a Scottish councilย 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Bigot? Please explain Elmer.

Cairneyhill Jambo
29 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

That's a bit shy from you calling out a bigot

Cairneyhill Jambo
4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Explain?

The post you hastily changed which probably would have gotten you a ban.ย 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

The post you hastily changed which probably would have gotten you a ban.ย 

Ooooo what did I say Sherlock?

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

ย 

11 August 2022
Linden

ย 
Image caption,ย 

ย 

Why is a 27 year old being elected council leader btw?ย 

ย 

Also, does any degree of vetting go on?

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Bigot? Please explain Elmer.

ย 

a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

ย 

aka a member of a party keen to drive a border down a smallish island based on his own membership of a political party. Any further explanation required?

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

ย 

Why is a 27 year old being elected council leader btw?ย 

ย 

Also, does any degree of vetting go on?

clearly not as there have been numerous ones slipping through the net.ย  maybe employ craig gordonย 

ย 

Konrad von Carstein

ย 

a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

ย 

aka a member of a party keen to drive a border down a smallish island based on his own membership of a political party. Any further explanation required?

Well that has fckall to do with the SNP

ย 

ย 

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well that has fckall to do with the SNP

ย 

ย 

So they SNP don't want to devide the UK based on their own political beliefs?

Konrad von Carstein

So they SNP don't want to devide the UK based on their own political beliefs?

Feck me, if Lis Truss is dense enough to bend light, you must set off your own auraulis borealisย 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Feck me, if Lis Truss is dense enough to bend light, you must set off your own auraulis borealisย 

I'm stating the obvious are your chucking around personal insults.ย 

ย 

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

ย 

I reckon there's a song in there!

ย 

And all the gammons cried,

ย 

Why won't you debate me?

Lefty snowflakes hate me

It's beyond a joke

They're so bloody woke

Life is nip and tuck

When you're thick as ****

Poetryย :cowboy:

periodictabledancer
9 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

ย 

ย 

Another half baked nonsense from the Harriot kitchen.

The SNP has existed for nearly a century on the basis of fighting for Scottish self determination. It will continue to do so if Sturgeon fails to succeed.ย 

The desperate current plan from yoonsย  to denounce and belittleย  the independence movement in terms of personal attacks on NS is just that. Desperate because no one wants to acknowledge the mandate the SNP has in terms of MP/MSP seats (see the numerousย  "Boris has 80 seat majority and mandate from the people "ย  claims in Tory media since 2019,).ย 

Basically according to London, Tories have a mandate on seats won but on a similar measure SNP does not. Bizarre to say the least.ย 

Therefore attack NS personally and ignore the political reality.ย 

ย 

Just like you do.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by periodictabledancer

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Another half baked nonsense from the Harriot kitchen.

The SNP has existed for nearly a century on the basis of fighting for Scottish self determination. It will continue to do so if Sturgeon fails to succeed.ย 

The desperate current plan from yoonsย  to denounce and belittleย  the independence movement in terms of personal attacks on NS is just that. Desperate because no one wants to acknowledge the mandate the SNP has in terms of MP/MSP seats (see the numerousย  "Boris has 80 seat majority and mandate from the people "ย  claims in Tory media since 2019,).ย 

Basically according to London, Tories have a mandate on seats won but on a similar measure SNP does not. Bizarre to say the least.ย 

Therefore attack NS personally and ignore the political reality.ย 

ย 

Just like you do.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

:spoton:
People not wanting to govern their own country is truly ย bizarre behaviour.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:spoton:
People not wanting to govern their own country is truly ย bizarre behaviour.

ย 

I saw this quote saying that the trouble with being a Scottish Unionist is that you have to hope that Scotland fails at everything just to justify your position. That they hope the oil runs out, or at least collapses in price, the NHS fails and kids education is poor to prove their point. Just any falling short which they can latch onto somehow justify London rule. You can go back the last 114 pages and see the glee to which the Unionists on this thread post about Scotlands failures. Its not great reading.ย 

ย 

I'm running out of patience for folk that can look at Energy bills jumping up to ยฃ4,200.00 a year and think the status quo is fine. This isn't like a crease in the Union, things are going to get worse but we have an out to getting away from this shower of lying, corrupt, selfish pieces of shit and still they ostrich and ram their heads into the sand. You'll notice they don't even try to defend the union anymore, its squarely arguments built around Scotland uniquely being too wee, poor & stupid to run its own affairs.ย 

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

ย 

I saw this quote saying that the trouble with being a Scottish Unionist is that you have to hope that Scotland fails at everything just to justify your position. That they hope the oil runs out, or at least collapses in price, the NHS fails and kids education is poor to prove their point. Just any falling short which they can latch onto somehow justify London rule. You can go back the last 114 pages and see the glee to which the Unionists on this thread post about Scotlands failures. Its not great reading.ย 

ย 

I'm running out of patience for folk that can look at Energy bills jumping up to ยฃ4,200.00 a year and think the status quo is fine. This isn't like a crease in the Union, things are going to get worse but we have an out to getting away from this shower of lying, corrupt, selfish pieces of shit and still they ostrich and ram their heads into the sand. You'll notice they don't even try to defend the union anymore, its squarely arguments built around Scotland uniquely being too wee, poor & stupid to run its own affairs.ย 

That sums it up well.

On 12/08/2022 at 08:09, The Mighty Thor said:

No idea mate. We've got sufficient water to supply our country thanks to a stat owned water company that re-invests.ย 

ย 

Clearly whatever united utilities are doing is a bit late no?

You've got no idea why a company pipe water from the Lake District to Manchester and not from Scotland to Manchester? Really? Do you think it's the cost?!

Come on, you're not a daft bloke, I'm sure you knew exactly why.

Do I think what UU are doing now is too late? No, the pipe was put in in the 50's, inspected for the first time a few years ago and the decision was made that it was cheaper and more practical (see a pattern developing?) to renew rather than repair, why would it be done before if it wasn't needed?

There's a drought happening right now, Europe wide, not just in England, it'll be over soon, and when the inevitable floods come over winter the argumet and calls ,quite correctly, will be for greater water storage, not one person will think the answer is to bring water from Scotland.

Edited by Dawnrazor

17 minutes ago, OTT said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

I don't believe that to be the case at all. Bit of a sweeping statement in all honesty.

ย 

We've had some pretty obvious advantages of the UK played out just over the last few years.

ย 

We're all about to go into a long deep global recession, it's not going to be pretty but I'll be thankful for the broad shoulders of the UK once more.

ย 

ย 

The Mighty Thor
27 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

You've got no idea why a company pipe water from the Lake District to Manchester and not from Scotland to Manchester? Really? Do you think it's the cost?!

Come on, you're not a daft bloke, I'm sure you knew exactly why.

Do I think what UU are doing now is too late? No, the pipe was put in in the 50's, inspected for the first time a few years ago and the decision was made that it was cheaper and more practical (see a pattern developing?) to renew rather than repair, why would it be done before if it wasn't needed?

There's a drought happening right now, Europe wide, not just in England, it'll be over soon, and when the inevitable floods come over winter the argumet and calls ,quite correctly, will be for greater water storage, not one person will think the answer is to bring water from Scotland.

Sorry maybe I wasn't particularly clear.ย 

I genuinely couldn't care what UU do nor where they do it.ย 

As long as it doesn't impact the flow of water from Scottish Water then its as relevant to me as roadworks on the M25.ย 

I see a pattern that is established of private foreign owned water companies ripping the pish out of the English market which brings us to where we are now and back to the roadworks on the M25

Konrad von Carstein
19 minutes ago, pablo said:

ย 

I don't believe that to be the case at all. Bit of a sweeping statement in all honesty.

ย 

We've had some pretty obvious advantages of the UK played out just over the last few years.

ย 

We're all about to go into a long deep global recession, it's not going to be pretty but I'll be thankful for the broad shoulders of the UK once more.

ย 

ย 

What were they and were any of those replicated in other self governing countries?

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

1 minute ago, pablo said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Its an accurate statement.

ย 

What obvious advantages?

ย 

Please tell me more about these broad shoulders? Are the UK the only country that can borrow in the world? Ireland seem to be surviving pretty well going it alone.ย 

ย 

Unless you mean the broad shoulders that have given us the worst pensions in Europe, worst preforming country in the G20 outside Russia (whom are currently under severe international sanctions. The broad shoulders that wrote off ยฃ8.7bn of tax payers money that went on faulty and fraudulent low quality PPE that was utterly unusable? Perhaps the broad shoulders that handed a Tory donor ยฃ37bn of tax payers money to deliver a track and trace app that didn't ****ing work? The broad shoulders that have given us the 'worst real wage squeeze' in the G7?

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, OTT said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

What obvious advantages?

ย 

Please tell me more about these broad shoulders? Are the UK the only country that can borrow in the world? Ireland seem to be surviving pretty well going it alone.ย 

ย 

Unless you mean the broad shoulders that have given us the worst pensions in Europe, worst preforming country in the G20 outside Russia (whom are currently under severe international sanctions. The broad shoulders that wrote off ยฃ8.7bn of tax payers money that went on faulty and fraudulent low quality PPE that was utterly unusable? Perhaps the broad shoulders that handed a Tory donor ยฃ37bn of tax payers money to deliver a track and trace app that didn't ****ing work? The broad shoulders that have given us the 'worst real wage squeeze' in the G7?

Oh my, great post.ย ย :wub:

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

What obvious advantages?

ย 

ย 

ย 

Furlough secured our jobs and economy during lockdown and the vaccination procurement strategy got us back to a sense of normality sooner. When this hard Global recession hits, and it will, the Treasury and The Bank of England will be vital in navigating through the decade or so of misery that's coming.

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sorry maybe I wasn't particularly clear.ย 

I genuinely couldn't care what UU do nor where they do it.ย 

As long as it doesn't impact the flow of water from Scottish Water then its as relevant to me as roadworks on the M25.ย 

I see a pattern that is established of private foreign owned water companies ripping the pish out of the English market which brings us to where we are now and back to the roadworks on the M25

That's fair enough, my point is that many rampant independent supporters are under the illusion that Scotland will make gazillions of pounds selling water to England, I can't ever see that happening for glaringly obvious reasons, just because Scotland has lots of renewable energy sources and water it doesn't mean England doesn't have any, some would have you believe that in England the sun never shines, the rain never falls, the wind never blows and there's no river mouths or coast line!

Edited by Dawnrazor

Unknown user

Furlough secured the economy?

ย 

What, the assumption is that an independent Scotland wouldn't have done anything?

ย 

That's pretty ****ing lame!

1 minute ago, pablo said:

ย 

Furlough secured our jobs and economy during lockdown and the vaccination procurement strategy got us back to a sense of normality sooner. When this hard Global recession hits, and it will, the Treasury and The Bank of England will be vital in navigating through the decade or so of misery that's coming.

ย 

Every single country in the developed world took action to protect jobs in the face of covid: Australia had 'JobKeeper', Canada had CEWS, Ireland had TWSS. Swedens covid action allowed employees to retain 90% of their salary. Nothing the UK did was unique or generous. If Scotland had borrowing powers, we'd have done the same thing. Perhaps without losing cยฃ50bn of taxpayers money to effectively fraud.ย 

ย 

Brexit will exacerbate the impact of the recession on the UK and therefore Scotland which was a decision taken for us, not by us. Very difficult to understand how we can be grateful for that.ย 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Furlough secured the economy?

ย 

What, the assumption is that an independent Scotland wouldn't have done anything?

ย 

That's pretty ****ing lame!

ย 

I'm not making any assumptions, I'm pointing out something that our country actually did.

Just now, OTT said:

ย 

Every single country in the developed world took action to protect jobs in the face of covid: Australia had 'JobKeeper', Canada had CEWS, Ireland had TWSS. Swedens covid action allowed employees to retain 90% of their salary. Nothing the UK did was unique or generous. If Scotland had borrowing powers, we'd have done the same thing. Perhaps without losing cยฃ50bn of taxpayers money to effectively fraud.ย 

ย 

Brexit will exacerbate the impact of the recession on the UK and therefore Scotland which was a decision taken for us, not by us. Very difficult to understand how we can be grateful for that.ย 

ย 

So what?