Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

That thing you do
6 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

Come on Lithuania and others started as post communist nations..
I understand that Scotland has a ridiculously low private sector employment rate, which is what drives growth. Indy scot would see more public ownership… let’s stop pick a country … today Mathew I’ll be Lithuania, look at there at Stats. we could do that - fantasy stuff and no relevance. If Hearts look at Brighton, we could have that income and wage bill … couldn’t we ??? Erm no  

Do you work in a large U.K. company, I’d suggest you don’t and don’t understand the current vs future position. U.K. headed company is the key, what would be left would be branch offices … the tax location for most at the last referendum so that pot of gold is gone and top staff would follow. I remember Nicola S, explaining that people came to Edinburgh for the education … no they came for the high paid jobs and would soon move to Leeds / Bristol / London etc. 
It wouldn’t stop trading but extra barriers and cost would see a reduction and it would take the best work:workers back … how many new British warships in Rosyth. 
It’s nice to debate, it’s pointless as you and I see the same realities very differently … neither is wrong all the time. The way forwards is a devolution settlement that works. 
otherwise it’s a pseudo Indy given our reliance on the U.K. now and in what ever future. 

My post is not about cherry picking. In fact I went out my way not do that but it would be a damn long post to analyse all the newly independent european countries in one go. The cherry picking option is surely Norway? Slovenia actually involved a bit of research!

Scotland does not have a ridiculously low private sector at all. Government statistics show 78% Private Sector Public sector 21% so its 3:1 private sector. https://www.gov.scot/publications/public-sector-employment-scotland-statistics-1st-quarter-2018/pages/9/

How large the public sector is and whether it matters is dependent on what it does and why. For example, comparatively Scotland has a smaller public sector than the Netherlands for example where its 32%.Scotlands nationalised its railways so its going to reflect in the statistics. Private sector is certainly where the entreprenuers are and where innovation comes from. I can tell you though, the "leg up" entreprenuers needs to get ahead can come from the public sector. My business for example has projects my clients are funding via Creative Scotland and Scottish Enterprise. Nicola Sturgeon a.k.a The Attention Seeker, a.k.a The Sturgeonator, just opened a new innovation hub and partnership through Codebase to create opportunities for creative entreprenuers to get access to support and funding.

I actually was working for a large UK company, as Head of Systems Management for Latin America based in Mexico City, which involved integrating customer management systems with tax authorities (in LatAm they use electronic invoice stamping) and creating Business Intelligence solutions. That was a 300 Million pound business. Now, I have my own business which has been the most interesting rewarding and challenging thing Ive ever tried to do. 

The point about battleships - well, the UK is failry well known for awarding public sector contracts to foreign entities https://www.cips.org/supply-management/news/2021/september/uk-spend-with-foreign-suppliers-rises-despite-buy-british-vow/ and lets not forget theres potentially other ships to build of our own come independence.

I just dont see the armageddon scenario you do. My bottom line is, can those of us in Scotland, who live here and care about the place do a better go at making it work for us than the chaos of Westminster? As an afterthought to SE England? I honestly think we can. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Fear ! 

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

The Spanish threat of veto was, initially, a problem for the Nats until, as JVC has just clarified, the constitution issue was already being questioned. 

Of course the UK government were to blame ! Who else peddled lie after lie to achieve a No vote ?
They would do so again as it's hugely detrimental to UK interests to lose Scotland.

Lie after lie to achieve a No vote. 
I’m out .. it’s all got a bit too emotional 

1 minute ago, That thing you do said:

My post is not about cherry picking. In fact I went out my way not do that but it would be a damn long post to analyse all the newly independent european countries in one go. The cherry picking option is surely Norway? Slovenia actually involved a bit of research!

Scotland does not have a ridiculously low private sector at all. Government statistics show 78% Private Sector Public sector 21% so its 3:1 private sector. https://www.gov.scot/publications/public-sector-employment-scotland-statistics-1st-quarter-2018/pages/9/

How large the public sector is and whether it matters is dependent on what it does and why. For example, comparatively Scotland has a smaller public sector than the Netherlands for example where its 32%.Scotlands nationalised its railways so its going to reflect in the statistics. Private sector is certainly where the entreprenuers are and where innovation comes from. I can tell you though, the "leg up" entreprenuers needs to get ahead can come from the public sector. My business for example has projects my clients are funding via Creative Scotland and Scottish Enterprise. Nicola Sturgeon a.k.a The Attention Seeker, a.k.a The Sturgeonator, just opened a new innovation hub and partnership through Codebase to create opportunities for creative entreprenuers to get access to support and funding.

I actually was working for a large UK company, as Head of Systems Management for Latin America based in Mexico City, which involved integrating customer management systems with tax authorities (in LatAm they use electronic invoice stamping) and creating Business Intelligence solutions. That was a 300 Million pound business. Now, I have my own business which has been the most interesting rewarding and challenging thing Ive ever tried to do. 

The point about battleships - well, the UK is failry well known for awarding public sector contracts to foreign entities https://www.cips.org/supply-management/news/2021/september/uk-spend-with-foreign-suppliers-rises-despite-buy-british-vow/ and lets not forget theres potentially other ships to build of our own come independence.

I just dont see the armageddon scenario you do. My bottom line is, can those of us in Scotland, who live here and care about the place do a better go at making it work for us than the chaos of Westminster? As an afterthought to SE England? I honestly think we can. 

Couldn't do any worse.

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Jeezo, are you now saying the vote leave organisations were transparent and truthful and did not use soundbites lapped up by addled morons? £350M in the NHS on the side of a bus no less. 

" I'm out" :lol:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

2 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

We are really not going to agree here.  
You see benefits and I don’t 

I see risks and you don’t 

I see being part of U.K. as a benefit you don’t. 
I see Scotland govt not getting on with the day job and it’s parliament failing, you see SE England West Minster to blame.. reality its it’s both in many instances. 
it’s time to say have a good day and adios I reckon.

1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Jeezo, are you now saying the vote leave organisations were transparent and truthful and did not use soundbites lapped up by addled morons? £350M in the NHas on the side of a bus noess. 

Both sides did and do… I’m not a fan of political sound bites… whom ever delivers 

7 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Decent.

Right...beer time !

manaliveits105

Nicola Sturgeon has admitted the SNP could have a different leader by the time of the next Holyrood election.

The First Minister hinted her long spell at the top of Scottish politics could come to an end before 2026, when the poll is due to be held.

But the SNP leader did not rule out leading her party into the next Holyrood election and claimed it remained her "default position".

Cheerie bye 

🎉🥳

manaliveits105
19 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

If brains were chocolate, you’d struggle to fill half a smartie. 

hurting ay - too bad 

54 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

I’ve just realized who you are. Welcome back you throbber.

I’ve never had the pleasure of speaking to you..:
Clearly you lack any intelligence as abuse is about all you can do, you even do that badly. 

Just now, Hunky Dory said:

The meandering misinformed tripe, and posting style, is far too similar to another poster who rolled up a year or so ago that posted shite and blamed it on autism.

Got it.

6 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

The meandering misinformed tripe, and posting style, is far too similar to another poster who rolled up a year or so ago that posted shite and blamed it on autism.

I’ve never engaged in any form of chat with you previously … sorry but wrong person. 
You might feel a bit of a fool, I’m guessing not for the first time. 

Konrad von Carstein
10 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

See, I thought that of @Ked but he's kinda proved me wrong as he's a decent poster in general.

Not sure what to make of JJ74 as he was fairly easy to converse with earlier.

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

See, I thought that of @Ked but he's kinda proved me wrong as he's a decent poster in general.

Think mr HD has me mixed up 

I’m easy to converse with, until someone goes into abuse mode … I’m not saying you do .. but for some it seems a challenge to remain civil. 
what ever happens we are all Scottish and Hearts fans .. so should at least try to remain civil … HD has me down as a throber who cannot write and is autistic … feck me … that’s even beyond the not true scot or Yoon stuff .. HD needs to learn some manners 

4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well thanks for that.

I'm not sure my friends in the railway industry would agree though.

😁

jack D and coke

It’s not that poster I don’t think he just posted at midnight and beyond. 
You’d wake up to all his drivel :lol: 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hmm, actually…got me analysing the posts now. 

It'll come down to one thing..................does he put Brown or Tomato Sauce on a Bacon Piece?

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

It'll come down to one thing..................does he put Brown or Tomato Sauce on a Bacon Piece?

:lol: 

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Brown 

Unknown user
36 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s not that poster I don’t think he just posted at midnight and beyond. 
You’d wake up to all his drivel :lol: 

Hahaha that's right, the midnight gobshite

Konrad von Carstein
18 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Brown 

Good guy... although a wee bit deflated that mayonnaise+ mature cheddar seems to get forgotten :(

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

56 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Think mr HD has me mixed up 

I’m easy to converse with, until someone goes into abuse mode … I’m not saying you do .. but for some it seems a challenge to remain civil. 
what ever happens we are all Scottish and Hearts fans .. so should at least try to remain civil … HD has me down as a throber who cannot write and is autistic … feck me … that’s even beyond the not true scot or Yoon stuff .. HD needs to learn some manners 

I agree about the civility bit but I'd leave out the Hearts fans bit. Politically, I'm infinitely more in tune with my Celtic-supporting mates than some of the arseholes who populate Tynecastle of a Saturday. It's means nowt, basically.

6 minutes ago, Boab said:

I agree about the civility bit but I'd leave out the Hearts fans bit. Politically, I'm infinitely more in tune with my Celtic-supporting mates than some of the arseholes who populate Tynecastle of a Saturday. It's means nowt, basically.

Ha ha we agree on the civility part ..

I’m a Hearts fan it’s a Heart fans forum, so I’d expect some form of kin ship. 
I’m not keen on any old firm type behaviours and my experience of Celtic fans at tynie is really poor, the IRA stuff is despicable, that said i have some great celtic fan friends and understand morons exist in all areas 

3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Ha ha we agree on the civility part ..

I’m a Hearts fan it’s a Heart fans forum, so I’d expect some form of kin ship. 
I’m not keen on any old firm type behaviours and my experience of Celtic fans at tynie is really poor, the IRA stuff is despicable, that said i have some great celtic fan friends and understand morons exist in all areas 

Politics and football I suppose.

Better kept apart tbh.

The Mighty Thor

I see the boy who fires the insults out then squeals when someone calls him pal has found a better together 2014 leaflet 😂

Debunked. 

All of them.

Every single one. 

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I see the boy who fires the insults out then squeals when someone calls him pal has found a better together 2014 leaflet 😂

Debunked. 

All of them.

Every single one. 

Right lads, that's the pleasantries finished, get tooled up again...

Grrrrr! :lol:

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Debunked. 

All of them.

Every single one. 

I think it could be Zlatanable tbh. There’s similarities defo. 

Bizarre to trot out some of the stuff that was rubbished years ago then complaining he’s being hounded after a few posts. 
In this case do not “be more zlatan”

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Debunked. 

All of them.

Every single one. 

Here he is The Weak Throber ..

I understand that’s an insult, so will you squeal as I did, when I was labelled an autistic throbber. 
Or is it all ok to talk to each other like this 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I think it could be Zlatanable tbh. There’s similarities defo. 

Bizarre to trot out some of the stuff that was rubbished years ago then complaining he’s being hounded after a few posts. 
In this case do not “be more zlatan”

There's a familiarity about the posting style and the lack of coherence along with the length of the posts.

I don't think it's who you think it is though. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

Here he is The Weak Throber ..

I understand that’s an insult, so will you squeal as I did, when I was labelled an autistic throbber. 
Or is it all ok to talk to each other like this 

Another go. 

That's 3 now. 

As I said to you the first two times, you just make yourself look a bit silly and petty. 

Have at it, keep posting your pages of tired 2014 nonsense. It speaks volumes. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

There's a familiarity about the posting style and the lack of coherence along with the length of the posts.

It's like an episode of Through the Keyhole.

😂

But less interesting 

I can hear the round of applause from kickback when you get close with an answer!

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can hear the round of applause from kickback when you get close with an answer!

😂

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Another go. 

That's 3 now. 

As I said to you the first two times, you just make yourself look a bit silly and petty. 

Have at it, keep posting your pages of tired 2014 nonsense. It speaks volumes. 

You just don’t see how abusive you are when you write, I react to what’s in front of me. 

The way you post is abusive and down right argumentative. 
Best we just avoid each other, we can agree on that I’m sure. 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

You just don’t see how abusive you are when you write, I react to what’s in front of me. 

The way you post is abusive and down right argumentative. 
Best we just avoid each other, we can agree on that I’m sure. 

I've never abused you once. Not once.

Don't try to put your inability to keep it civil on me.

I may post argumentative points, that's how debate works. 

There's an easy way to avoid me if you wish, put me on ignore or better still, don't post provable nonsense. 

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I do not think it means, what you think it means!

It's the jakey lad isn't it?

I've never abused you once. Not once.

Don't try to put your inability to keep it civil on me.

I may post argumentative points, that's how debate works. 

There's an easy way to avoid me if you wish, put me on ignore or better still, don't post provable nonsense. 

Sorry but you did directly and via other posts. 
“zlatanable, the piss take laughing emojis and squeal” I could add more.