Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No being a Clype isn’t a good look really . It’s sneaky . Doesn’t surprise me one bit . The SNP promote people being clypes unless it’s against them obviously 

:laugh2: behave!

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

13 hours ago, Hunky Dory said:

Aye, and they proposed an alternative in 2008 that was voted down by the other parties and defeated in parliament.

He was claiming that council tax wasn't reformed due to spurious claims that it's a "vote loser" and too "costly/difficult".

No one mentioned manifesto pledges.

So what's been stopping them since they had a majority arrangement at Holyrood?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, pablo said:

So what's been stopping them since they had a majority arrangement at Holyrood?

Who knows, I don't recall it being a manifesto pledge again though.

This isn't the Justify The SNP's Work thread though, the only reason it's being discussed is a bullshit accusation.

jack D and coke
39 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

No being a Clype isn’t a good look really . It’s sneaky . Doesn’t surprise me one bit . The SNP promote people being clypes unless it’s against them obviously 

As opposed to trying to mock someone in front of the whole nation? 
NS said this to Iain Dale at the festival in front of a wee audience. 
She also said she was sure Truss would be in Vogue magazine soon. 
Hardly clyping for me. 
Tit for tat and fair enough imo. 

39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Who knows, I don't recall it being a manifesto pledge again though.

This isn't the Justify The SNP's Work thread though, the only reason it's being discussed is a bullshit accusation.

Okay matey. Trust you'll be taking the same stance on all the posts pulling up the Tories ?

What's the thread about again?

Unknown user
Just now, pablo said:

Okay matey. Trust you'll be taking the same stance on all the posts pulling up the Tories ?

What's the thread about again?

The thread's about independence so there are 2 situations to compare;

1 The status quo.

This includes Westminster, the Tories, Holyrood, the SNP, and the situation between them all.

2 an independent Scotland.

This includes a lot of unknowns but as a resource rich country with a first world economy in a strategically vital geographical position, it's understandable that many would feel optimistic.

Pulling up the SNP is irrelevant to this thread, except in that the status quo is shite. They're not independence.

Pulling up the Tories is completely relevant as they're the governing party and have been for the majority of the last century.

It must be a pain if you're a unionist, I get that, it's an unbalanced debate.

But this isn't about the SNP.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

1 The status quo.

This includes Westminster, the Tories, Holyrood, the SNP, and the situation between them all.

This includes a lot of unknowns but as a resource rich country with a first world economy in a strategically vital geographical position, it's understandable that many would feel optimistic.

Pulling up the SNP is irrelevant to this thread, except in that the status quo is shite. They're not independence.

Pulling up the Tories is completely relevant as they're the governing party and have been for the majority of the last century.

I'm not a Unionist. There's no such thing in regards the relationship between Scotland and England.

Must be a pain wanting something so much that can't have.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, pablo said:

I'm not a Unionist. There's no such thing in regards the relationship between Scotland and England.

Must be a pain wanting something so much that can't have.

:laugh2: 👍

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

1 The status quo.

So the SNP and their polices aren’t relevant as it is part of the status quo .. but what happens where Scotland has full control and we/they get it badly wrong, Education and Attainment gap.  … But it’s ok to say the Tories are bad currently and would be for ever.
That’s a rather warped, one sided way of looking at things. For the avoidance of doubt neither side is always right or wrong but a failure is a failure and where we (Scotland) have full control we should be concerned now and for the future.

The independent Scotland wouldn’t be that independent as geographic, economic, language and social links would dictate a pseudo Indy but with less money and more barriers to be fair with… much like Brexit but with more of an impact. 

manaliveits105

In an Indy Scotland we will all be living on cruise ships - I’m in ! 

SNP ministers are considering issuing a formal plea to the British Army and hiring a second cruise ship to house Ukrainian refugees, after Nicola Sturgeon’s flagship “super sponsor” scheme descended into chaos....

jack D and coke

SNP ministers are considering issuing a formal plea to the British Army and hiring a second cruise ship to house Ukrainian refugees, after Nicola Sturgeon’s flagship “super sponsor” scheme descended into chaos.

The Telegraph understands that Scottish government officials have discussed the highly usual step of making a Military Aid to Civil Authorities (MACA) request to the Ministry of Defence, due to fears thousands of people fleeing the Russian invasion will arrive in Scotland with nowhere to go.

Meanwhile, the Scottish government is also believed to be exploring hiring a second cruise ship, which would be based on the Clyde, despite controversy over sending Ukrainians to live on a vessel which has already docked in Edinburgh, which has windowless rooms more cramped than prison cells.

While no formal MACA request has yet been made to the military, discussions about the move are believed to have taken place between Scottish and UK Government staff.

Almost 30,000 visas have been issued under the “super sponsor” initiative, but despite fewer than 9,000 arriving in Scotland as of last week, there is a lack of housing for them to be placed in.

Several hundred refugees are arriving into the country every week, having already been granted permission, before the scheme was axed last month. The Scottish government said on Wednesday night that it was “exploring all options” to solve the crisis.

‘Half-baked measures’

Monica Lennon, the Scottish Labour MSP, said: “These developments show just how badly the Scottish government has handled the Homes For Ukraine Super Sponsor Scheme.

“Ukrainian families fleeing Putin’s terror deserve the best possible accommodation and support, rather than the half-baked measures the SNP is currently offering.

“SNP ministers must get a grip of this crisis and ensure people seeking sanctuary are treated with dignity.”

MACA requests are usually made in response to major emergencies, such as flooding disasters or the coronavirus pandemic, and the military only agrees to get involved when a public body “lacks the capability” to fulfil a task.

MoD officials are believed to be braced for a formal request from the Scottish government, but there is confusion within the UK Government about what meaningful help the military could provide.

The army does not have a large amount of spare accommodation in Scottish barracks, raising the prospect that it could be asked to set up temporary camps.

The Scottish Government has previously warned that councils could be forced to place refugees in “camp beds in community settings” due to a lack of suitable accommodation.

Ms Sturgeon suggested UK Government ministers lacked humanity by failing to do enough to provide visas to Ukrainian refugees and successfully pushed for her administration to be allowed to directly “sponsor” applications to come to the UK.

It meant individuals would be granted a visa more quickly as they would not have to wait to be matched with an individual willing to share their homes, with responsibility falling on the Scottish government to find them temporary accommodation until a more permanent solution was found.

‘Grossly inappropriate’

SNP ministers have provided £5 million to refurbish disused high-rises in Lanarkshire, which had been due to be demolished, in a bid to bring 200 flats back into use.

Ian Murray, the shadow Scottish secretary said: “The collapse of Scotland’s Super Sponsor scheme is a gross betrayal by the SNP and we need to get it up and running again – but not by cutting more corners on accommodation.

“The SNP’s decision to house refugees on cruise ships was a disgrace, and it beggars belief that they are doubling down on this shameful plan.

“It would be grossly inappropriate to force people fleeing war to live in army barracks, and the SNP must rule this out.”

A spokeswoman for the Scottish government said that it was “exploring all options to provide safe and secure accommodation as part of its warm Scottish welcome to displaced Ukrainian people seeking shelter”.

He said: “However, no formal request has been made to the Ministry of Defence to help house displaced people from Ukraine.”

The cruise ship in Edinburgh had “received a very positive reception from the people on board”, he added.

A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: “The Ministry of Defence has not received a formal request from the Scottish government to provide assistance with accommodating refugees.

“Under the Military Aid to the Civil Authorities process, Defence always stands ready to respond to requests from civil authorities in line with established principles.”

The amount of negative comments about trying to help people is almost hilarious. The little snippet I’ve highlighted too :lol: 

Unknown user
2 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

So the SNP and their polices aren’t relevant as it is part of the status quo .. but what happens where Scotland has full control and we/they get it badly wrong, Education and Attainment gap.  … But it’s ok to say the Tories are bad currently and would be for ever.
That’s a rather warped, one sided way of looking at things. For the avoidance of doubt neither side is always right or wrong but a failure is a failure and where we (Scotland) have full control we should be concerned now and for the future.

The independent Scotland wouldn’t be that independent as geographic, economic, language and social links would dictate a pseudo Indy but with less money and more barriers to be fair with… much like Brexit but with more of an impact. 

It doesn't matter if you like it, the SNP in Holyrood, the Tories in Westminster, the devolved parliament, they're all part of the status quo equation.

When you attack the SNP you're saying the current situation is shite. I agree, let's get it, and them, TF.

It doesn't matter if you like it, the SNP in Holyrood, the Tories in Westminster, the devolved parliament, they're all part of the status quo equation.

When you attack the SNP you're saying the current situation is shite. I agree, let's get it, and them, TF.

We don’t agree really though… 

You see Indy as being a wonderful opportunity I see it as a defined threat with a worsening of the status quo.

The time for Indy was in the 70s with the oil wealth and before the Scottish economy became so service based (virtually solely for U.K. mkt). The time isn’t now or in the immediate future.. 

Unknown user
27 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

We don’t agree really though… 

You see Indy as being a wonderful opportunity I see it as a defined threat with a worsening of the status quo.

The time for Indy was in the 70s with the oil wealth and before the Scottish economy became so service based (virtually solely for U.K. mkt). The time isn’t now or in the immediate future.. 

I see it as an opportunity for the Scottish electorate to decide its national government.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

In an Indy Scotland we will all be living on cruise ships - I’m in ! 

SNP ministers are considering issuing a formal plea to the British Army and hiring a second cruise ship to house Ukrainian refugees, after Nicola Sturgeon’s flagship “super sponsor” scheme descended into chaos....

Talk about the Midas touch ! They have the shite touch 

16 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I see it as an opportunity for the Scottish electorate to decide its national government.

Right, but you don’t just get that … you get the removal of all the benefits of being in the U.K. 

it seems to me very like Brexit, regain control, set your own policies to suit but reality is that these benefits come with costs (which to me outweigh the benefits)

Unknown user
1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

Right, but you don’t just get that … you get the removal of all the benefits of being in the U.K. 

it seems to me very like Brexit, regain control, set your own policies to suit but reality is that these benefits come with costs (which to me outweigh the benefits)

Obviously, but we get loads of benefits too, an abundance of natural resources for starters. The ability to hold our government to account alone is worth plenty.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Obviously, but we get loads of benefits too, an abundance of natural resources for starters. The ability to hold our government to account alone is worth plenty.

The Scottish electorate is currently baw deep in doing exactly the opposite of that. That won’t change any time soon.  

Unknown user
Just now, Dazo said:

The Scottish electorate is currently baw deep in doing exactly the opposite of that. That won’t change any time soon.  

Yep, we simply have no way of holding our national government to account

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I don’t agree that political independence is the key here … economic / geographical / historic  and social links are as/more important.. as is not pissing off your larger neighbours whom you have so many links with. 

we should make the best of what we have and get on with the day job, ultimately that’s what the people of Scotland voted for and didn’t get.. what we got was a neverendum

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

I don’t agree that political independence is the key here … economic / geographical / historic  and social links are as/more important.. as is not pissing off your larger neighbours whom you have so many links with. 

we should make the best of what we have and get on with the day job, ultimately that’s what the people of Scotland voted for and didn’t get.. what we got was a neverendum

They're not just our neighbours, they utterly dominate us.

4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

The Scottish Electorate have continually voted for a party who have Independence as their flagship policy. 

Of course, the electorate voted No in 2014. The material change in circumstances since then mean a second ref is required IMO.

If it is a No again, then the question will have answered quite clearly. If people don't vote for Indy now, they never will.

As regards our links, economic, social etc, what is being proposed is an advisory vote. The negotiations that would follow that would address all those issues. 

Personally, I think it should be allowed and put to bed one way or t'other !

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

The Scottish Electorate have continually voted for a party who have Independence as their flagship policy. 

Of course, the electorate voted No in 2014. The material change in circumstances since then mean a second ref is required IMO.

If it is a No again, then the question will have answered quite clearly. If people don't vote for Indy now, they never will.

As regards our links, economic, social etc, what is being proposed is an advisory vote. The negotiations that would follow that would address all those issues. 

Agreed 

They're not just our neighbours, they utterly dominate us.

Dominate us now, Ok I’ll play along but I don’t believe they are anything other than our family ..  yes they have 90% of people in the U.K. and so are a larger part of the family. 

So the future with approx 2/3rds of our trade currently to U.K. and needing to go through their country to reach Europe (to trade) and with shared employers and family : friends and language … wouldn’t they still largely dictate things but not as a family member rather a rejected partner … 

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

Jesus wept, it's like a soundbyte Tory propaganda machine reading your posts, so many inaccuracies that I don't know where to begin, you'd be great for a game of "Yoon Bingo"! 

You can add your education and attainment nonsense in there too now if you like :rofl: 

The block button will come in handy...

image.jpeg.ea4ca51223170aebe3e9c27280f45449.jpeg

Edited by The Old Tolbooth

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

Advisory vote: that’s spin and bullshit… once the wheels were in motion the U.K. like Europe/Brexit would be in position to protect itself and look after its self.. and being bigger would be stronger. 
The SNP never accepted the result and use anything to further their cause… the 2014 referendum was fought on local govt and removal from Europe with the chance to look at rejoining …. Now it’s about turn and it’s all about leaving one Union to join another… black or white = Indy 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Jesus wept, it's like a soundbyte Tory propaganda machine reading your posts, so many inaccuracies that I don't know where to begin, you'd be great for a game of "Yoon Bingo"! 

You can add your education and attainment nonsense in there too now if you like :rofl: 

The block button will come in handy...

http://crfb.org/sites/default/files/debt-o_capture.jpg

Bye.

The Old Tolbooth
1 minute ago, jambomjm74 said:

Advisory vote: that’s spin and bullshit… once the wheels were in motion the U.K. like Europe/Brexit would be in position to protect itself and look after its self.. and being bigger would be stronger. 
The SNP never accepted the result and use anything to further their cause… the 2014 referendum was fought on local govt and removal from Europe with the chance to look at rejoining …. Now it’s about turn and it’s all about leaving one Union to join another… black or white = Indy 

You've a damn cheek accusing anyone else on here of spin and bullshit pal :rofl: 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

You've a damn cheek accusing anyone else on here of spin and bullshit pal :rofl: 

Don’t pal me.  Im not your mate 

you are not worth taking too. 
Disagree fine, be respectful if that’s possible for you. 

The 2014 ref included the line from Westminster that the way to protect Scotland's future in Europe was to vote No.

One of a package of lies fed to the electorate. 

Just now, Boab said:

The 2014 ref included the line from Westminster that the way to protect Scotland's future in Europe was to vote No.

One of a package of lies fed to the electorate. 

Lies.. at the time we remained in Europe as we voted No. 
If Scotland had voted Yes, we would have been out of Europe. 
So it wasn’t a lie in the context it was provided.

But you know that right 

The Old Tolbooth
18 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Calling people out for lies and bullshit, and now claiming others are being disrespectful to you, when you're pretty much being very disrespectful to anyone on here who disagrees with you, you don't do irony very well do you? 

11 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Lies.. at the time we remained in Europe as we voted No. 
If Scotland had voted Yes, we would have been out of Europe. 
So it wasn’t a lie in the context it was provided.

But you know that right 

Not necessarily. There was a lot of discussion, pre-ref, on how the EU would deal with Scotland had Yes won. Mainly on Articles 48 and 49 of the EU treaties. 

It was the UK government that didn't want to proceed with the advice as they maybe suspected the EU might give Scotland the green light. It was never resolved as the No vote negated any discussion.

I know that much. To say we would have been out, full stop, is..lies and bullshit !

4 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Calling people out for lies and bullshit, and now claiming others are being disrespectful to you, when you're pretty much being very disrespectful to anyone on here who disagrees with you, you don't do irony very well do you? 

I do irony,  but “yoon bingo” and “soundbite Tory propaganda” are really not terms of endearment and very derogatory..

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Not necessarily. There was a lot of discussion, pre-ref, on how the EU would deal with Scotland had Yes won. Mainly on Articles 48 and 49 of the EU treaties. 

It was the UK government that didn't want to proceed with the advice as they maybe suspected the EU might give Scotland the green light. It was never resolved as the No vote negated any discussion.

I know that much. To say we would have been out, full stop, is..lies and bullshit !

And despite the fact almost everything the Yes side said might happen if we vote No that was laughed down and ridiculed as fear stories from the No side….actually happened :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Sorry but leaving the U.K. would have meant we had no membership …

Spain for one would clearly have said adios, that’s for very obvious reasons.

It was the Uk govts fault for blocking this … it’s always the U.K. govts fault isn’t it  

Konrad von Carstein
36 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Dominate us now, Ok I’ll play along but I don’t believe they are anything other than our family ..  yes they have 90% of people in the U.K. and so are a larger part of the family. 

So the future with approx 2/3rds of our trade currently to U.K. and needing to go through their country to reach Europe (to trade) and with shared employers and family : friends and language … wouldn’t they still largely dictate things but not as a family member rather a rejected partner … 

And why should.that be? We should have a couple deep water.ports on the East coast to facilitate trade outwith the British isles, why do goods produced in Scotland have to travel to England for export? It's idiotic by any standard.

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

I do irony,  but “yoon bingo” and “soundbite Tory propaganda” are really not terms of endearment and very derogatory..

Do you actually read what you post before copying and pasting it? 

Konrad von Carstein

It was the Uk govts fault for blocking this … it’s always the U.K. govts fault isn’t it  

Which are? Bearing in mind the Spanish constitution expressly forbids sesation,(sp) so don't quote Catelonia.

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

And why should.that be? We should have a couple deep water.ports on the East coast to facilitate trade outwith the British isles, why do goods produced in Scotland have to travel to England for export? It's idiotic by any standard.

Price , time and availability of ferry’s … sorry but that’s the reality of it. 
Ferry services are far from our strength.  
We are part of a U.K. distribution network and that’s a benefit to us from a cost and time … could that change and be better yes to change who knows to better .. 

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Which are? Bearing in mind the Spanish constitution expressly forbids sesation,(sp) so don't quote Catelonia.

Very selective view of history and the links Scottish Indy and Catalan and Basque sepratist movements.. which Madrid wasn’t happy with …

These links have moved on with final  Sein Fein invites (ahead of unionist heads of state) I’m not going into that one on here …

9 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

The Spanish threat of veto was, initially, a problem for the Nats until, as JVC has just clarified, the constitution issue was already being questioned. 

Of course the UK government were to blame ! Who else peddled lie after lie to achieve a No vote ?
They would do so again as it's hugely detrimental to UK interests to lose Scotland.

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, jambomjm74 said:

Very selective view of history and the links Scottish Indy and Catalan and Basque sepratist movements.. which Madrid wasn’t happy with …

These links have moved on with final  Sein Fein invites (ahead of unionist heads of state) I’m not going into that one on here …

I know it's a minefield, however, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Spanish government had chilled out a bit re Exbrit and Scotland's membership of SM etc which would in theory over time  enable full membership if, that's what an independent Scotland voted for

dobmisterdobster
6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Attention seeking behaviour imo

jack D and coke

Spain have never objected to any newly independent countries joining before. 
They’d veto Scotland though.

We still doing that one aye?

:facepalm:
The boy Borosso or whatever was a mate of Cameron. Mind Davey C asking his mate Putin to tell us to vote No too. 
Couldn't mark some of your necks with a blow torch man :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I know it's a minefield, however, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Spanish government had chilled out a bit re Exbrit and Scotland's membership of SM etc which would in theory over time  enable full membership if, that's what an independent Scotland voted for

A veritable minefield.
There was the “ predessor state “ discussions around whether Scotland would remain in the EU after Indy or have to reapply. A bit much in this heat. I'll return.
👍

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Spain have never objected to any newly independent countries joining before. 
They’d veto Scotland though.

We still doing that one aye?

:facepalm:
The boy Borosso or whatever was a mate of Cameron. Mind Davey C asking his mate Putin to tell us to vote No too. 
Couldn't mark some of your necks with a blow torch man :lol: 

Fear !