John souttar

William H. Bonney

I'm disappointed that we have got to this situation we find ourselves in with John Souttar. Injury or not why have we managed to get into the last year of his contract, Players we deem as key players shouldn't get past 18 months without opening contract talks from the club. Arsenal are the best at this letting players run down their contracts and loosing them cheap or free. 

I know John has been injured but a contract for 2/3 years could of been offered at the time he would of probably signed it. No one can see what will happen in the future. I do think he will leave come the end of the season but I also think he owes us! We have stuck by him throughout his injury. He needs to play the game sign a 2 year contract knowing it really means nothing and still get his move in the summer and fill our pockets with a nice healthy transfer fee. I don't really care who he goes to down south but would hate it to see him joining one of the old firm capitalizing on our poor business with contracts ( Pre Joe Savage ) 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

1 minute ago, brux said:

Surely his aspirations are higher than Celtic and Rangers?

Scottish football could be getting a different outlook from players and fans from different countries. Look at how well Scotland national team are doing and look how well beni and Devlin are doing. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I'm disappointed that we have got to this situation we find ourselves in with John Souttar. Injury or not why have we managed to get into the last year of his contract, Players we deem as key players shouldn't get past 18 months without opening contract talks from the club. Arsenal are the best at this letting players run down their contracts and loosing them cheap or free. 

I know John has been injured but a contract for 2/3 years could of been offered at the time he would of probably signed it. No one can see what will happen in the future. I do think he will leave come the end of the season but I also think he owes us! We have stuck by him throughout his injury. He needs to play the game sign a 2 year contract knowing it really means nothing and still get his move in the summer and fill our pockets with a nice healthy transfer fee. I don't really care who he goes to down south but would hate it to see him joining one of the old firm capitalizing on our poor business with contracts ( Pre Joe Savage ) 

Agree 100%.  I do understand it more with Souttar   because  it would have been hard to hand him a 2 year extension a year ago given the situation.

I do think we should go as far as we can to get him on board and if it isn’t enough then we need to capitalise in January. We should also be looking at our other key players and making sure it doesn’t happen again 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

12-18 months ago, there was a chance John might not have a playing career anymore. 

Were you calling for a contract extension for him at that time, when he got injured under Stendel and we went down?

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Agree 100%.  I do understand it more with Souttar   because  it would have been hard to hand him a 2 year extension a year ago given the situation.

I do think we should go as far as we can to get him on board and if it isn’t enough then we need to capitalise in January. We should also be looking at our other key players and making sure it doesn’t happen again 

Yeah mate we could of been in for a decent transfer fee from Callum Paterson injury hit and lost him on a free with a sell on BUT we got into the position again into the last year of his contract and no real sign of singing it. I hope going forward like you have said we make the key players a priority and make sure they have a good couple years on a contract.   

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If 3rd place guarantees some form of UEFA club football until Xmas then it makes absolutely no sense to sell Souttar in January. Keep him and finish 3rd or better and have a crack at the Scottish Cup. 

6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

This is partly where I am with it all. I think it's poor from the club that he isn't signed up given his status in the team. Even before his last injury he was a key player, it's not like he has developed into one (although he is clearly even better these days).

I've no issue with JS moving on if he wants to though. I'd be looking at my injury history and thinking I need to make as much money out of this profession as I can because I just don't know when I've played my last game.

Hopefully he has had his last big injury and goes on to have an amazing career.

Also with the season we are having I'd just try to keep him until summer instead of cashing in a nominal amount which could be easily offset by having a successful season - JS is one of the key players that will determine how we end up faring. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

12-18 months ago, there was a chance John might not have a playing career anymore. 

Were you calling for a contract extension for him at that time, when he got injured under Stendel and we went down?

Injury or not he would of still been deemed at Hearts as one of our key assets, So yeah a contract should of still been offered regardless of an injury or not, also for the players benefit. If he was still injured now he would be sweating going into the last few months of his deal thinking he might be unemployed in a few months! 

The amount of crap Hearts have throwing money too and giving massive contracts to players like Aidy White, Damour, Naismith over the last couple of years, Why wasn't a big contact not been offered to a current player Hearts already knew his potential. Not as if John Souttar was a Jamie Brandon. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Maybe the fact we didn't offer him an extension back then (understandably) is reason he's not signing an extension now. Maybe this is why he isn't as 'loyal' as we would all wish him to be? As some have already said, I think we've (Hearts and John) have been very unlucky as to how and when his injury came about... from a contract perspective. I think he is on his way in January and hopefully we'll get a decent fee. Good luck to the lad - after all he's been through, he deserves a big pay day as much as anyone.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

According to Gowser a year ago he just wanted to make sure he wasn’t in a wheelchair when he retired.

Hearts would have been mad and would have been slaughtered to have given a contract out then.

Just like when Paterson got injured before a potential move to West Ham we just got ****ing unlucky with injuries here.

There is nothing to be critical of the club about IMO.

44 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

If the option is for Souttar to leave us in January for a couple of hundred grand or see out his contract and help us achieve 2/3 place?? 

I would rather he stayed till the end. A couple of home games in Europe would be worth more than the nominal selling price. With the added bonus that we get to see him in a Hearts Jersey for a further 6 months. 

Minimum of £3mil in January (no I don't think that's realistic) or let him go for free. 3rd would be with around that to us and having Souttar at the back will help us to no end.

6 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

According to Gowser a year ago he just wanted to make sure he wasn’t in a wheelchair when he retired.

Hearts would have been mad and would have been slaughtered to have given a contract out then.

Just like when Paterson got injured before a potential move to West Ham we just got ****ing unlucky with injuries here.

There is nothing to be critical of the club about IMO.

Exactly this... we've just been unlucky, this time, with timings. Can't blame Hearts and can't blame John.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

yeah but the suggestion seems to be we shouldn’t bother doing our best trying to sign our biggest asset up because someone will probably offer more. 😂 .. 

According to this £20k per week would put John In their top 5, and those players are mainly a legacy from the premiership squad. Harry is on £8k 

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/stoke-city/

The number was for illustration. 

It could be £5k v £10k.

The point is they will offer more, likely far more. 

Ofc we should try our best but I'm assuming we are doing that, why wouldn't we? 

Edited by Smith's right boot

We will just have to wait and see 😕 I wonder if family is a big factor and hopefully they don’t want to move 😂 we can all live in hope ♥️

Why know give John douttar 20k a week 3 year contract he is roughly worth between 6 million to 10 million and get it back if their is clause in his contract  got to speculate yo accumulate  

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, brux said:

Surely his aspirations are higher than Celtic and Rangers?

It could be his best move. 

If I didn't hate them so much I'd choose them every day of the week over a Stoke, Blackburn or Notts forest type club. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, gar jambo said:

Why know give John douttar 20k a week 3 year contract he is roughly worth between 6 million to 10 million and get it back if their is clause in his contract  got to speculate yo accumulate  

£20k a week? 

Factor or in Ni and pensions that would cost us around £4m. 

We'd need to sell for over that just to break even on the deal. 

Hed be taking up at least  10% of our playing budget. 

We'd piss of half the team, for example Craig Gordon is more important to us so deserves the same. 

And if he broke down would be stuck with an expensive player and limited to what to do next. 

Crazy chat. 

£10k is high, £20k is mental. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

We will just have to wait and see 😕 I wonder if family is a big factor and hopefully they don’t want to move 😂 we can all live in hope ♥️

It could be and why he may not move far, Glasgow for example. 😭

But do think he's worth nearer 10 mill when you think what they where asking for mckenna and porteous  far better player than them! But your only worth what teams are willing to pay 

StirlingJambo
15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

£20k a week? 

We'd piss of half the team, for example Craig Gordon is more important to us so deserves the same. 

And if he broke down would be stuck with an expensive player and limited to what to do next. 

Crazy chat. 

If we can afford to give him somewhere around 15k on a 2 year contract with the promise he can leave this coming summer then why not. His price is only going to rise. 

Ex member of the SaS

I know there is little loyalty in football and money talks, BUT surely the fact we stood by him means he looks on extending his contract all be it with a buy out clause ( £30 million should do it ) 

The big problem now a days is people change jobs at the drop of a hat. In my day you got a job for life or at least long term.

There doesn't seem to be any loyalty from workforce or management these days.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I know there is little loyalty in football and money talks, BUT surely the fact we stood by him means he looks on extending his contract all be it with a buy out clause ( £30 million should do it ) 

The big problem now a days is people change jobs at the drop of a hat. In my day you got a job for life or at least long term.

There doesn't seem to be any loyalty from workforce or management these days.

But did we actually hinder his career. Y not doing the best for him when he was coming back from injury.

The guy had a contract FFS - you don’t sack him for ****ing his tendons.

53 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Injury or not he would of still been deemed at Hearts as one of our key assets, So yeah a contract should of still been offered regardless of an injury or not, also for the players benefit. If he was still injured now he would be sweating going into the last few months of his deal thinking he might be unemployed in a few months! 

The amount of crap Hearts have throwing money too and giving massive contracts to players like Aidy White, Damour, Naismith over the last couple of years, Why wasn't a big contact not been offered to a current player Hearts already knew his potential. Not as if John Souttar was a Jamie Brandon. 

To offer him a contract of any sort, knowing the condition he was in, whilst ignoring the value of someone like John Souttar just exemplifies how badly run we were. Someone has a lot to answer for.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

If we can afford to give him somewhere around 15k on a 2 year contract with the promise he can leave this coming summer then why not. His price is only going to rise. 

Because 

If no move comes in then we can't move him. 

He could get injured. 

Other players may or imo will become unhappy. 

That is why we won't do it, not to mention he might already be getting offered that or more elsewhere so why would he take all that risk, when he can get it now and a big signing on fee?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

To offer him a contract of any sort, knowing the condition he was in, whilst ignoring the value of someone like John Souttar just exemplifies how badly run we were. Someone has a lot to answer for.

And there it is. 

Someone has a lot to answer for not kidnapping Souttar and forcing him to sign.

You can't make that kind of thinking up. 

😂😂😂😂😂

The chances of JS staying at the club went from 20% to zero after last night. Well done to JS but a pity for us......Quite frankly our contract negotiating gameplan/structure has been awful over the last few years (coinciding with another timing !!)

10 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

But do think he's worth nearer 10 mill when you think what they where asking for mckenna and porteous  far better player than them! But your only worth what teams are willing to pay 

He's out of contract at the end of the season. 

That fact coupled with his well publicised injury history means we won't be getting megabucks for John. 

An offer in the region of 500k at this stage of the season is what I expect and that would leave us in the position of having to decide if we are actually better off hanging on to him for the rest of the season, to help us in our push for Europe and the SC. 

A lot will depend on who offers a pre contract imo. 

If it's one of the OF we may have to make the best of things. 

The pre contract option is fraught with danger for John if he picks up another injury. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

And there it is. 

😂😂😂😂😂

He has a point though. The club today is run a lot better than it was 18 months ago. The recruitment and the contracts throwing about to new players was shocking. Colin Doyle contract in particular was a joke!

I have had a think about it again and yeah we will never know if a contract was offered to John when he was injured, We could of offered him a contract every couple months and he is just reluctant to sign the contract. We will never know. 

If he goes I wish him all the best and really hope he can go to the top he seems a sound guy. I have faith also with the recruitment team, Joe and Robbie to bring in a replacement OR better still manage to come up with a deal to get Taylor Moore signed from Bristol City. 

No longer active
36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

£20k a week? 

Crazy chat. 

This

On the back of a solid/good performance for Scotland and a decent albeit unexpected start to the season I think there are some viewing this through maroon tinted specs.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/john-souttar-to-stoke-city-is-it-a-good-potential-move-would-he-start-what-does-he-offer/ reflects on the value of Souttar from a south of the border perspective. My guess is he will leave but I cannot see the list of suitors being willing to pay the big bucks some of you are dreaming about. We may get a few quid if were lucky in January but I a beginning to fear that he may end up in Glasgow next season.

Jean Louis Valois

Tired of hearing this nonsense about us standing by him when he was injured. He had a contract, what else were we going to do. Would love to see him sign a new contract with us but I think that time has passed.

2 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

This

On the back of a solid/good performance for Scotland and a decent albeit unexpected start to the season I think there are some viewing this through maroon tinted specs.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/john-souttar-to-stoke-city-is-it-a-good-potential-move-would-he-start-what-does-he-offer/ reflects on the value of Souttar from a south of the border perspective. My guess is he will leave but I cannot see the list of suitors being willing to pay the big bucks some of you are dreaming about. We may get a few quid if were lucky in January but I a beginning to fear that he may end up in Glasgow next season.

According to that, this is the first season he's been able to nail down a starting spot, I hope the managers are more knowledgeable.

You can talk about Souttar all you want, but if I had money in the bank and needing to save my club from relegation from the Premiership, there's only one man I'd be spending that cash on - the man with the gloves, you buy him you buy clean sheets AND your defence improves.

18 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But did we actually hinder his career. Y not doing the best for him when he was coming back from injury.

The guy had a contract FFS - you don’t sack him for ****ing his tendons.

In what way did we not do our best for him when he was injured ? 🤔 

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

And there it is. 

😂😂😂😂😂

Not what i said tbh

I hope he signs a short deal that allows us to cash in. But, from a selfish point of view, he knows another big injury could be round the corner. That will fill him with dread and anxiety, and he will want to secure his big pay day when it comes. If he decides to go down that route, then it is understandable, despite being difficult to swallow for us. Hopefully something can be worked out between him and the club. 

Ive kind of resigned to the fact that we’re going to lose him on a free transfer tbh. He’s an outstanding player & even with his injury record he’s an attractive prospect for bigger clubs than hearts. It’s shite for us but it is what it is & I’ve no ill will towards him if a team comes in for him offering him big wages & he takes it, poor guy probably thought he’d never get the opportunity again so completely understand if he wants to see his options & there will be options. All I ask is that if he stays till the end of the season he continues to put in the standard of performance we’ve become used to seeing from him. Just hope he doesn’t sign for the axis of evil if he does go.

11 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I share your sentiments but have faith in our present regime to get the best result for the club. I think Joe Savage has earned his crust so far and this will be one of his priorities.

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We will get significantly more than a couple of hundred grand from promotion pushing championship club, I’ve got no clue why people keep putting silly numbers like that out there. I think maybe Hibs / OF fans trying to troll and lowball. There are clubs who will need an in form CH in January not just want him. 

He will go for at least £2m on last nights evidence possibly £3m if Hearts get through to January still in winning form with Souttar playing as well as he is. My bet is on West Brom, Stoke, Rangers, Celtic, all in a bidding war. And Hearts will set a “buy him now” price tag of £2.5m and call it a draw. That’s less than half the price we could have sold him for if it was not for bad luck with injuries. So the injury risk is reflected in the low £2m type number. It should be £5m plus, Bongo and I agree on not too many things but one thing we agree on is ability wise John Souttar would have no issues with being a Premier League player and a very good one. 

On current form, forget keeping him till May. To me it makes the Moore signing more clear. He’s the ready made replacement for the planned sale of soapy in January. 

I'm not a troll. Been a Hearts fan all my life and been on Kickback for years. I agree he is well worth the numbers you quote but reality is if he wants to go Hearts will have to deal with what clubs are willing to pay for a player who has had serious injuries and only 6 months left on his contract. I would be pleasantly surprised if we did get the numbers you suggest. But hope you are right. 

Stoke City step up transfer interest after key star's season-ending injury (teamtalk.com)

Certainly this lot seem to believe Stoke only have to snap heir fingers and he'll be on his way,

and they don't seem to think there will be any competition:

"Souttar’s contract with Hearts runs out at the end of the season. As such, a deal in January may be an easy one to complete.

Furthermore, the Hearts man is valued under £1million, therefore it may prove a cheap one as well.

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Stoke City step up transfer interest after key star's season-ending injury (teamtalk.com)

Certainly this lot seem to believe Stoke only have to snap heir fingers and he'll be on his way,

and they don't seem to think there will be any competition:

"Souttar’s contract with Hearts runs out at the end of the season. As such, a deal in January may be an easy one to complete.

Furthermore, the Hearts man is valued under £1million, therefore it may prove a cheap one as well.

A view shared by many on here.