John souttar

William H. Bonney

HEARTS FOREVER
11 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Hearts fans do not deserve to have John Souttar, or any other player for that matter, spell out their future career plans in public for them and everyone else in football to know about. 

What a ridiculous claim!

Coming from a guy who's telling me Hearts don't 'deserve players'  🤣👌

Behave yerself.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

StirlingJambo
8 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

It's an incredibly simple answer: we can't afford to pay our top players £15k per week! 

It's truly baffling that some people are genuinely struggling with this!

We just turned another yearly profit…better putting it to use 😂

15 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Well... if you ignore the big overspend on the new stand ... then yes.  🙂 His injury history probably makes it a case of  "damned if we do  and damned if we don't" as regards Souttar's contract situation.   Every game he plays for us carries a risk both to him, his future  and to Hearts.  If we don't sell outright in January and he just signs  a P-C,  it then also becomes a risk to his new  club, although they can probably mitigate the risk in the P-C.  

It looks like the 2 least worst situations from Hearts point of view are either him signing a new contract with us or we sell him outright in January. 

😆 slight difference though.

investing in a facility to generate on and off the field income for the club for years to come versus chucking £20k a week at players who at best play brilliantly for a couple of years and move on - or worse are your next Loic Damour / Glen Whelan.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Because if his performances keep up he can get a far better move than an English championship team, as @John Findlaysaid and i don't always agree with him, Souttar is every bit the player Ben White is and he went for £50 mil to Arsenal, at no point do i disagree that 20k a week would be hard to turn down, but at the same time 10k will be a massive increase on what he is on, and with the opportunity to play Europa league next season. 

You can't do that playing in the championship. 

Or he could get injured and miss the chance to set himself up for life. 

It's a no brainer for a guy that is 25 and with his Injury record- take the best deal on the table at the is current time, especially if that deal is far more than the others. 

Lots of players also move from the championship for big money. 

He could also go the OF, treble his wages, play in Europe, win trophies, get caps and still get another move. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

14 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Correct. 

Some go on about it like Hearts and the combined mental power of Savage, Budge, Anderson and all our coaching staff haven't thought of great ideas like offering more money, a longer contract and speaking to him.... 

Unfortunately it looks like he's gone. 

If he's not went in January and no pre Contract has been announced then I'll think he's going to an arse cheek. 

If only CL was still here, he had Souttars ear..... :leveinproblem:

I'd be really really disappointed if Soutter went to one of the bigot brothers. I'd understand if it was because they'd blown other clubs out of the water financially, but I'd be surprised either of them could do that versus a big or top end EPL club.

John only has to look at how Hickey has advanced his career by not staying in the SPFL, and now has a European giant rumoured to be interested. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Jim Panzee said:

I'd be really really disappointed if Soutter went to one of the bigot brothers. I'd understand if it was because they'd blown other clubs out of the water financially, but I'd be surprised either of them could do that versus a big or top end EPL club.

John only has to look at how Hickey has advanced his career by not staying in the SPFL, and now has a European giant rumoured to be interested. 

Yeah, it would be a bit shit if he went there. 

On the plus side, if he went to Rangers and didn't quite settle he'd be back on loan in a year. 😁

39 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Hi, which European team is interested. Sorry if I missed that.  

From the GBC 'Gossip' Page - 

Nine clubs in the English Championship - as well as Rangers and two MLS sides - are in the hunt to sign Scotland hero John Souttar, with the 25-year-old centre-back out of contract at Hearts next summer. (Daily Mail, print edition)

3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why settle for English championship, we're it's evident to see if he keeps his performances up English Premiership is where he will be, and not playing for a relegation survival team, you also have to consider would Souttar turn down playing abroad? Being at us on 10k a week would be good for him and with the possibility of playing Europa league football. 

I'm sure Taylor Moore will be having a quiet word with him 👍

He'll take the highest offer he gets. 👍

15 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Nine clubs in the English Championship - as well as Rangers and two MLS sides - are in the hunt to sign Scotland hero John Souttar, with the 25-year-old centre-back out of contract at Hearts next summer. (Daily Mail, print edition)

9 from the Championship and none from the Premiership? Do EPL clubs just not bother fielding scouts in Scotland any more?

This concerns me - because if it’s the Championship or Ran2ers, he’ll pick the latter if he wants to establish himself in the Scotland team.

part_time_jambo
1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

If Hickey had gone to Rangers or Celtic and was playing no better, or even worse than he is at the moment, he would be in the Scotland team. It stinks.

3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why settle for English championship, we're it's evident to see if he keeps his performances up English Premiership is where he will be, and not playing for a relegation survival team, you also have to consider would Souttar turn down playing abroad? Being at us on 10k a week would be good for him and with the possibility of playing Europa league football. 

I'm sure Taylor Moore will be having a quiet word with him 👍

perhaps because he could sign for a stoke / luton / boro, triple his wages, and play well enough for a mid table EPL team to buy him 12 months later whereupon he triples his salary again. he could go from £5k a week to £45 in the space if 12-18 months.

also - if was I Soutter, and had faced the stark reality of perhaps never playing football again (more than once) - I'd be putting finances ahead of playing in europe every day of the week.

5 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

If Hickey had gone to Rangers or Celtic and was playing no better, or even worse than he is at the moment, he would be in the Scotland team. It stinks.

oh absolutely.  

3 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

9 from the Championship and none from the Premiership? Do EPL clubs just not bother fielding scouts in Scotland any more?

This concerns me - because if it’s the Championship or Ran2ers, he’ll pick the latter if he wants to establish himself in the Scotland team.

I suppose it depends on who the Championship teams are... Bournemouth or Fulham would be tempting. But I agree with you, sincerely hope he doesn't even consider the Rangers. It may depend on who Gerard takes to Aston Villa, with him. 

Certainly wouldn't complain if an Italian side came in for him - as someone stated above.

Soapy is a professional footballer, who will be keenly aware how precarious a profession it is. If folk think he's going to do himself out of 10k/week to stay at Hearts they need to step away from the crack pipe (bong?).

54 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Well, if he's not signing a new contract with us then this is the next best scenario (if its accurate) - a bidding war in January.   You have to wonder where the media are getting the "info" about Rangers being interested - they've no manager or coaches at the moment.     

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

😆 slight difference though.

investing in a facility to generate on and off the field income for the club for years to come versus chucking £20k a week at players who at best play brilliantly for a couple of years and move on - or worse are your next Loic Damour / Glen Whelan.

I suppose its a matter of the Board deciding whether our immediate on-field prospect of a Euro place or trophy win  merits a big short-term carrot for key players like JS.     Looks increasingly likely that there's a growing queue of clubs interested in him though, so it now becomes a task of getting the most money and   sell-on from one of them.

Edited by Lone Striker

Would love him to sign a new deal but given his past injury troubles he will be more aware than most of the fragility of a football career.  That being the case I understand the need to maximise his earnings while he can so a move to a bigger salary is inevitable. 

Hopefully that is down south and it would be nice if he asked for a sell-on clause to be included.

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Well, if he's not signing a new contract with us then this is the next best scenario (if its accurate) - a bidding war in January.   You have to wonder where the media are getting the "info" about Rangers being interested - they've no manager or coaches at the moment.     

I suppose its a matter of the Board deciding whether our immediate on-field prospect of a Euro place or trophy win  merits a big short-term carrot for key players like JS.     Looks increasingly likely that there's a growing queue of clubs interested in him though, so it now becomes a task of getting the most money and   sell-on from one of them.

agree - this will all be factored into the current planning / negotiations by the board.

and also along with (as others have alluded) - the distinct possibility of Gordon, Beni, Devlin, Boyce, Kingsley also suggesting they too merit an uplift in remuneration.  

The blow of losing Souttar would be softened for me if it resulted in the permanent signing of Taylor Moore, and/or the lad Branthwaite from Everton whom we were very close to signing in the summer. If he's not signing a new contract with Hearts - which is looking increasingly unlikely - then I would prefer that we got *something* and sold him in January so we had some funds for a replacement. 

Edited by Batistuta87

53 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Nah. He wouldn't get in ahead of Robbo or Tierney because he plays for the OF. 

1 hour ago, part_time_jambo said:

There were more Hearts players in the starting team the other night than OF players though so where’s the logic ?

Hickey will get a chance. He’s got plenty of time. Unfortunately he has 2 world class players ahead of him in his position atm 

Edited by JimmyCant

1 hour ago, part_time_jambo said:

What have you been smoking? 

I love Hickey and think he's a fantastic player - but to suggest that he would get into the Scotland team ahead of a Champions League winner (Robertson) and a £25M+ rated, established Premier League player (Tierney) by playing for the OF is absolutely bonkers.

His time will come. Under normal circumstances, like Patterson, he would be right in there - but we are abnormally strong at left back right now. 

Edited by Batistuta87

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

What have you been smoking? 

I love Hickey and think he's a fantastic player - but to suggest that he would get into the Scotland team ahead of a Champions League winner (Robertson) and an established Premier League player (Tierney) by playing for the OF is absolutely bonkers.

His time will come. 

I'd have him or Patterson at RB. Can't be worse than O'Donnell

It seems certain that JS ain't staying with us, so selling him in January seems the best option. In that respect his goal and performance on Monday proved perfect timing. He made an impact on the international stage, which will have more clubs interested in his services. It would be ideal if a side near the top of the Championship were interested. They're likely to splash out more cash and, from JS's point of view, he'd have the prospect of playing in the Premier League in the near future.

I doubt he'll end up at Ibrox, unless he sticks with us until the end of the season. I can't see the Huns putting up a transfer fee and matching the wages of a Championship side, unless they sell someone or are truly determined to go bust.

12 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I'd have him or Patterson at RB. Can't be worse than O'Donnell

I'd say with Hickey not being a natural RB, Patterson gets the nod for me because he is. O'Donnell has also been outstanding on a few occasions recently (v England and v Denmark for example), and would be harsh to drop him too. I do agree that Hickey should be in the squad - but it would be slightly difficult to justify a starting place at RB/LB based on the options and the form of the lads playing there right now.

Edited by Batistuta87

Hagar the Horrible

I would be nice if he thanked us by signing on but with a claus to talk if a bid comes in >£1m.  

If not any cash we can get from him will be a brucey bonus as this time last year he might have never made it back.

I will wish him well, unless he goes to Sevco, as if thats the limit of his ambition, then he should not be with us, just look at Hickey.

Saying that 2 substitute appearancies at Sevco gets you a first pick in the Scotland side over being first pick in the Serie A and being couted by AC Milan....same old same old

Championship would be a poor move in footballing terms, that league is brutal - so many games, for John's injury record I'd worry about the toll that league would take on his body.

He has to get a team that suits his style too.

35 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I would be nice if he thanked us by signing on but with a claus to talk if a bid comes in >£1m.  

It would be a nice Christmas present. 🎅

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Not necessarily a bidding war, he might just sign a pre contract and leave for nowt in the summer.  

Even if he leaves on a transfer in January it’s going to be for peanuts unfortunately.  Probably more down to the personal terms he’s offered and where he wants to play.  Hopefully he wants a sell on clause for Hearts but his agent won’t give a shit about that.  We’d have been in a much better position if he had a year or two left on his contract. 

2 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

No he wouldn't as he is left sided, would get odd call up if Tierney or Robertson injured.

Fozzyonthefence
51 minutes ago, May one-six said:

It seems certain that JS ain't staying with us, so selling him in January seems the best option. In that respect his goal and performance on Monday proved perfect timing. He made an impact on the international stage, which will have more clubs interested in his services. It would be ideal if a side near the top of the Championship were interested. They're likely to splash out more cash and, from JS's point of view, he'd have the prospect of playing in the Premier League in the near future.

I doubt he'll end up at Ibrox, unless he sticks with us until the end of the season. I can't see the Huns putting up a transfer fee and matching the wages of a Championship side, unless they sell someone or are truly determined to go bust.

Is he not a Hun though?  If so, then that plus Champions League might be enough to sway it for him.  

I agree with the other poster though - who at Rangers is wanting to sign him? Wouldn’t they wait to see if the new manager rates him first or do they have a DOF who makes the signings?

41 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Championship would be a poor move in footballing terms, that league is brutal - so many games, for John's injury record I'd worry about the toll that league would take on his body.

I agree, load of teams have big bruising strikers aka Uchi, he may choose USA if terms are good.

1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

I agree, load of teams have big bruising strikers aka Uchi, he may choose USA if terms are good.

Would it enhance his international prospects though? Particularly if we should make the World Cup finals.

22 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

If EPL sides aren't looking at him then he needs a better agent, just need to look at Hanley at Norwich or Shane Long at Brighton and you could easily see Souttar playing EPL

11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not necessarily a bidding war, he might just sign a pre contract and leave for nowt in the summer.  

Even if he leaves on a transfer in January it’s going to be for peanuts unfortunately.  Probably more down to the personal terms he’s offered and where he wants to play.  Hopefully he wants a sell on clause for Hearts but his agent won’t give a shit about that.  We’d have been in a much better position if he had a year or two left on his contract. 

More value in staying until the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

If EPL sides aren't looking at him then he needs a better agent, just need to look at Hanley at Norwich or Shane Long at Brighton and you could easily see Souttar playing EPL

You'd like to think at least the bottom six EPL sides might think he's worth a punt. Villa or Newcastle for example? 

6 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

You'd like to think at least the bottom six EPL sides might think he's worth a punt. Villa or Newcastle for example? 

Looking at the centre halves at EPl sides I'd put him in with a fighting chance of being one of 4 starting level Centre Halves at any the following (Villqa have plenty cover at CH and Whilst he's better than the likes of Cieron Clarke at newcastle they will have their sights set on 20-30m players to bolster their defence)

Norwich

Brighton

Watford

Brentford

Leeds (better than Cooper imho)

West Ham

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Jambo92 said:

agreed on both points.. if John wants to maximise his career he needs to manage it and make clever choices 

10 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Looking at the centre halves at EPl sides I'd put him in with a fighting chance of being one of 4 starting level Centre Halves at any the following (Villqa have plenty cover at CH and Whilst he's better than the likes of Cieron Clarke at newcastle they will have their sights set on 20-30m players to bolster their defence)

Norwich

Brighton

Watford

Brentford

Leeds (better than Cooper imho)

West Ham

Don't follow the Premiership but signing for Norwich would be possibly worse than signing for a top half championship team. Surprised by inclusion of West Ham as they are high in the tables assumed they'd have decent defenders. 

7 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He's not signing a new contract according to a journo' I know.   Off in January. 

Journo would have got that info from here.

Don't tell me...Stoke, Blackburn or Boro?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

perhaps because he could sign for a stoke / luton / boro, triple his wages, and play well enough for a mid table EPL team to buy him 12 months later whereupon he triples his salary again. he could go from £5k a week to £45 in the space if 12-18 months.

also - if was I Soutter, and had faced the stark reality of perhaps never playing football again (more than once) - I'd be putting finances ahead of playing in europe every day of the week.

Yip. 

That is it. 

On the plus side, more sides interested means we are more Likley to get a fee in January. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He's not signing a new contract according to a journo' I know.   Off in January. 

Not rocket science Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Would it enhance his international prospects though? Particularly if we should make the World Cup finals.

He won't care, Iirc Johnny Russell is getting almost £30k a week. 

That will of set any lack of caps I'd reckon. 

It's a tough one for the club. Take £1 million (max) in January, assuming it's offered, or keep him till the end of the season in the hope of getting European football and the money that comes with that. 

Nightmare scenario for us and Souttar is he gets another injury 

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

If not any cash we can get from him will be a brucey bonus as this time last year he might have never made it back.

I will wish him well, unless he goes to Sevco, as if thats the limit of his ambition, then he should not be with us, just look at Hickey.

Saying that 2 substitute appearancies at Sevco gets you a first pick in the Scotland side over being first pick in the Serie A and being couted by AC Milan....same old same old

That lot shouldn't be allowed to sign anyone in their current plight. Signing ban until they extinguish some of their current liabilities. 

Naisys Tackle
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Journo would have got that info from here.

Don't tell me...Stoke, Blackburn or Boro?

None of them.  Celtic want him. 

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not rocket science Tbh. 

It's not.  But the main thing I got from my message conversation was he's no interest in extending now and the club are aware of this.