John souttar

William H. Bonney

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm raving here but he's English Premiership quality great ball playing defender, and I think he's the best since levein and i hope he reaches that level. 

I like Soapy, but Webster, Berra, McLaren, Weir, Pressley, McPherson, Ritchie and Zali were all better than Souttar IMO. One thing about Hearts is we've never been short of good CBs and it would be great if Soapy stays to establish himself amongst those names.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I like Soapy, but Webster, Berra, McLaren, Weir, Pressley, McPherson, Ritchie and Zali were all better than Souttar IMO. One thing about Hearts is we've never been short of good CBs and it would be great if Soapy stays to establish himself amongst those names.

I think technically in this day in age he's better than them, I really do ask myself would he have been at us if it wasn't for injury but yeah we haven't lacked good centre backs, not Robbies biggest fan but he has got it right with Halkett, Souttar and Kingsley at the back this season. 

Just worry if we ever have to change will it disrupt us? 

And just like we haven't lacked good centre backs we now have a goalkeeper 😊, I wonder if Jon mcg at rangers would be interested in swapping about with Craig for league games and Europa next season. 

He knows he's more appreciated at us than them zombies, quite a few good players can be secured on pre contracts, so if we do lose Souttar it would be nice to get something for him. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If we offered Souttar 10k a week with the clause he doesn't leave for anything less than £5mil, it would definitely suit both parties. 

John isn't stupid he knows if he stays at us, and continues to perform sooner or later he will get his move. 

He has now taken his game to international level and scored. 

Imagine Hearts get Europa league football he's worth £10mil easy, just look at Jack Hendry for example, Souttar is every bit as good if not better than him?. 

The club have to look at this in the long term and if he never gets a move, then I'm pretty sure giving him 10k a week won't bankrupt us, more than happy to up my pledge. 

We are now a solid base for international players we need to get players signed on longer deals, and improve every year. 

This is why i believe it's possible to get a bigger tynecastle etc we have the fanbase, get the players on the park and you're onto a winner. 

I made valuations on Kent and Hagi and i stand by them like i do Souttar. 

If Souttar was playing in the Champions league or Europa league. 

You wouldn't get him for any less than £10-20mil. 

I'm raving here but he's English Premiership quality great ball playing defender, and I think he's the best since levein and i hope he reaches that level. 

Yer awf yer heid. John can leave for nothing and get 15 grand a week at some shitey wee championship club like Luton. There's no danger he will sign a new contract. Football is about money. It's a short career and he especially needs to make the most of it.

I'm sure he loves Hearts and it will be difficult to leave but he's got to put his interests first and foremost. Folk need to stop viewing everything through maroon tinted specs and accept the reality that Soapy is offski for pennies in January or f all in the summer. 

All we can hope for is that he doesn't end up over at the Galactic Empire playing for either of those two and that Savage and Co. are scouring the planet for a replacement. 

PhoenixHearts

Reckon he'll have more than just Stoke, Boro and Blackburn eyeing him up after putting himself on the map in the way he did. 

Would obviously prefer to wrap him up on an extension but depending on how many clubs interests were piqued tonight we might luck into more cash than we'd anticipate in January.

He has been so unlucky with injuries. 

He needs to take the best contract on the table. His career could be over the next time he gets hurt. Pains me to say it, but if he is offered 15-20k for 2-3 years, he will have to take it. 

As for us offering him 10k to stay… His career could be over the next time he gets hurt. Knowing Hearts, contracts and injuries, he would get something career altering and we would be paying him £1.5m to hobble around spraying the odd diagonal ball from midfield for 3 years. 

love the guy. Hope he stays. Has to be a wild long shot. 

There is not a chance in hell Souttar is signing for either of the old firm. He's on a one way ticket to south of the border, and good for him. He'll leave with nothing but my best wishes whether that's in January or in the summer.

I do wish, though, that after last night Savage will sit down with him and ask him his price for signing a 2 year deal with a release clause and give him it but I can't see the club breaking the mould and that's also quite right too.

1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Reckon he'll have more than just Stoke, Boro and Blackburn eyeing him up after putting himself on the map in the way he did. 

Would obviously prefer to wrap him up on an extension but depending on how many clubs interests were piqued tonight we might luck into more cash than we'd anticipate in January.

I wouldn't be surprised if likes of Cooper, McGinn, Robertson, and Tierney are not saying to their clubs.

You have to take a look at the least of John Souttar of Hearts. Liverpool already have a spy in the camp in Ben Woodburn. Don't forget Arsenal forked out £50M for Ben White from Brighton in the summer. Ben White a better Centre back than John Souttar? Not in my eyes, no.

21 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I wouldn't be surprised if likes of Cooper, McGinn, Robertson, and Tierney are not saying to their clubs.

You have to take a look at the least of John Souttar of Hearts. Liverpool already have a spy in the camp in Ben Woodburn. Don't forget Arsenal forked out £50M for Ben White from Brighton in the summer. Ben White a better Centre back than John Souttar? Not in my eyes, no.

As I've posted elsewhere, Souttar should set his sights much higher than Stoke or Middlesbrough.

None of us know what's going on behind the scenes.  Let's hope he stays with us.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

IMHO if Souttar didn't have his injuries he would be right at the top with Robertson and Tierney. McGinn will be up there too, no danger is he at Villa any longer than this season.

Byyy The Light
5 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If we offered Souttar 10k a week with the clause he doesn't leave for anything less than £5mil, it would definitely suit both parties. 

John isn't stupid he knows if he stays at us, and continues to perform sooner or later he will get his move. 

Imagine Hearts get Europa league football he's worth £10mil easy, just look at Jack Hendry for example, Souttar is every bit as good if not better than him?. 

The club have to look at this in the long term and if he never gets a move, then I'm pretty sure giving him 10k a week won't bankrupt us, more than happy to up my pledge. 

We are now a solid base for international players we need to get players signed on longer deals, and improve every year. 

This is why i believe it's possible to get a bigger tynecastle etc we have the fanbase, get the players on the park and you're onto a winner. 

Doesn’t suit Souttar if he’s got £15k a week plus £500k signing on fee sitting on the table at a club in England. He certainly won’t sign a deal with a £5 million release clause. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not for him it's not. 

Why would you knock back £20k + for £10k?

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not for him it's not. 

We know he’s being offered £20k. ? 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We know he’s being offered £20k. ? 

No one will know exactly , but looking at the average wage of theses squads, the wages of some of their players it's not hard to get a ball park figure. 

It could easily be more. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

IveSeenTheLight

Aye, fair play to Souttar. I was not convinced when he was named in the team sheet, but he had a very impressive game.

On last nights performance, he deserves to keep the shirt ahead of Hendry

highlandjambo3
20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not for him it's not. 

Its not just about cashing in here and now.  Careful when you bend down to pick up a £1 coin on the ground as you may miss that £20 note flying past your head.  So, he may very well stay with hearts for a lesser pay packet than he would down in the English championship however, with a chance of playing in Europe (which he currently won’t get anywhere else) he is putting himself on a higher platform also, Scoring for Scotland and motm guarantee's he’ll play in the next Scotland game as well.  I think it would be a bad move for him if he jumped right now for the highest pay packet, my opinion of course.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

We know he’s not being offered £10k by Hearts?

yeah but the suggestion seems to be we shouldn’t bother doing our best trying to sign our biggest asset up because someone will probably offer more. 😂 .. 

According to this £20k per week would put John In their top 5, and those players are mainly a legacy from the premiership squad. Harry is on £8k 

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/stoke-city/

jamboinglasgow

The problem with giving Souttar a big contract (say £10k) is that even if its just so we get a bigger fee to sell him in the Summer, you will get other players in the squad who feel they are as good as him or close to his ability demand bigger wages.

In the unlikely event we manage to tie him down to a long term contract, nobody is going to pay over a few million for someone with his injury record.

He will be off to whoever pays the highest wage as he will be well aware the next injury could be the last. Quite right too.

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The problem with giving Souttar a big contract (say £10k) is that even if its just so we get a bigger fee to sell him in the Summer, you will get other players in the squad who feel they are as good as him or close to his ability demand bigger wages.

The alternative is we let them go cheaply.  We have to try and grow the club sometime, retain them for a bit longer and secure decent fees . Otherwise we can forget about ever getting closer to rangers and Celtic.

of course it needs to be done responsibly. But I’d rather give good players as good to the going rate as possibly than bloat the squad with average players inside the current structure 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

In the unlikely event we manage to tie him down to a long term contract, nobody is going to pay over a few million for someone with his injury record.

He will be off to whoever pays the highest wage as he will be well aware the next injury could be the last. Quite right too.

no one will pay over a million - but they will be falling over themselves to pay him £20k per week apparently ? 😂 anyway - over a million what is this 1990? That is sweeties for most clubs - This is a world where Scott McKenna went for £5million

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Fair point. There’s always the danger a tactic like this sparks discontent within the squad and provokes a wages “arms race”.

Maybe we just have to accept Souttar will likely do “walking away”?

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Yer awf yer heid. John can leave for nothing and get 15 grand a week at some shitey wee championship club like Luton. There's no danger he will sign a new contract. Football is about money. It's a short career and he especially needs to make the most of it.

I'm sure he loves Hearts and it will be difficult to leave but he's got to put his interests first and foremost. Folk need to stop viewing everything through maroon tinted specs and accept the reality that Soapy is offski for pennies in January or f all in the summer. 

All we can hope for is that he doesn't end up over at the Galactic Empire playing for either of those two and that Savage and Co. are scouring the planet for a replacement. 

Folk don't half live in some fantasy land with all this release clause stuff.

12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Folk don't half live in some fantasy land with all this release clause stuff.

Football Manger has a lot to answer for.

Did we not do this with CG where it was reported that he was on 10 + grand and that was for a mater of about 6 months just so we could get that 9 mill deal 🤔 I’m sure he has spoken to Souter and hopefully he has passed on some advice as not just to grab that first deal that comes along.

Ainsley Harriott
48 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Exactly and we are certainly not going to offer him 10k per week

Byyy The Light
52 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

yeah but the suggestion seems to be we shouldn’t bother doing our best trying to sign our biggest asset up because someone will probably offer more. 😂 .. 

According to this £20k per week would put John In their top 5, and those players are mainly a legacy from the premiership squad. Harry is on £8k 

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/stoke-city/

Thats your suggestion. I’m sure the club have tried everything in their power to get him to sign a deal. Let’s face it, they are much better placed to decide what that best deal is, not you or I.

It’s all speculation, all of it.

The idea that the club are somehow to blame in this by not offering him a good deal (which is essentially what you are insinuating) gets people’s backs up.  

Forgive me if I take a random website with confidential salary information with a massive pinch of salt.

I don't think he will sign a new contract and therefore be playing somewhere else next season.  I've thought about it long and hard and I've decided I'm okay with that.  He's not been fit as often as I'd have liked, through no fault of his own, but when he wears our jersey he gives us everything.  I think John's character is such that it will be a huge wrench for him to leave under those circumstances. I genuinely think he'll feel awful about it actually.  That's football though.  

The other side of the coin is that Hearts have a genuine world class player in Craig Gordon.  He could play in any team in the world, I'm convinced of it - even at 39.  He plays for us and never cost us a bean.  The economics of football are barmy.

17 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

Did we not do this with CG where it was reported that he was on 10 + grand and that was for a mater of about 6 months just so we could get that 9 mill deal 🤔 I’m sure he has spoken to Souter and hopefully he has passed on some advice as not just to grab that first deal that comes along.

That was a decade and a half ago though, the equivalent now must be more like 25k-30k to make him stop and think. Plus, Craig's a massive Jambo and had a much longer career ahead of him at the time.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

That was a decade and a half ago though, the equivalent now must be more like 25k-30k to make him stop and think. Plus, Craig's a massive Jambo and had a much longer career ahead of him at the time.

I do get that 👍🏻 But would signing a two year extension and him being away at end of the season be really out the realms of possibilities. I do get it that it’s a short career, and people will not believe me but if it was me and I had been looked after by Hearts the same way over the last 3 years I would do this very thing. Yes I’m a Hearts man through and through but I have given the same commitment to my employers over the years, and when good at your job people do give you what you deserve.

3 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

There is not a chance in hell Souttar is signing for either of the old firm. He's on a one way ticket to south of the border, and good for him. He'll leave with nothing but my best wishes whether that's in January or in the summer.

I do wish, though, that after last night Savage will sit down with him and ask him his price for signing a 2 year deal with a release clause and give him it but I can't see the club breaking the mould and that's also quite right too.

Good post, no way in hell is he heading west. The bigot twins need to learn that they are not a big draw for good, ambitious players anymore. Would be fantastic if he signed a new deal with a realistic release clause 

2 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

I do get that 👍🏻 But would signing a two year extension and him being away at end of the season be really out the realms of possibilities. I do get it that it’s a short career, and people will not believe me but if it was me and I had been looked after by Hearts the same way over the last 3 years I would do this very thing. Yes I’m a Hearts man through and through but I have given the same commitment to my employers over the years, and when good at your job people do give you what you deserve.

are you a permanent employee or do you pick up contracts for your work? (personal question so fine if you'd rather not answer)

If the option is for Souttar to leave us in January for a couple of hundred grand or see out his contract and help us achieve 2/3 place?? 

I would rather he stayed till the end. A couple of home games in Europe would be worth more than the nominal selling price. With the added bonus that we get to see him in a Hearts Jersey for a further 6 months. 

3 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

With the injuries he's had he'd be mental to put off his big move. He's 25 now, I think he'd be doing the right thing.

2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

are you a permanent employee or do you pick up contracts for your work? (personal question so fine if you'd rather not answer)

No I’m a permanent employee 👍🏻 And I don’t mind the question as I don’t try and be anything else.

SectionDJambo

The trouble for John, and Hearts, is that due his injury history few clubs will want to risk a big transfer fee and the contractual wages. Hearts have been really unlucky that such a valuable player has been injured for so long, and so near to the end of his contract. 

We should be actively looking for his replacement, which it's very likely that Joe Savage and his team are doing. Recruitment is a two way street. You lose players for nothing and bring them in for nothing.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

With the injuries he's had he'd be mental to put off his big move. He's 25 now, I think he'd be doing the right thing.

Once again fair enough but he looks better than ever at the moment and he will know in himself and Hearts and for that matter another club how realistic he is to break down again. I just live in hope for us to get that one deal which could make us a good few pennies instead of another who gives us that token 400 grand ☹️

2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The trouble for John, and Hearts, is that due his injury history few clubs will want to risk a big transfer fee and the contractual wages. Hearts have been really unlucky that such a valuable player has been injured for so long, and so near to the end of his contract. 

We should be actively looking for his replacement, which it's very likely that Joe Savage and his team are doing. Recruitment is a two way street. You lose players for nothing and bring them in for nothing.

If that is the case is anybody really going to offer him say a 3 year deal on 10/15/20 grand a week 🤔 and if not then why hasn’t he signed that contract with us. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Appreciate he can sign a pre-contract in January.

But am I right in saying there can still be a “bidding war” for him for clubs to sign and get him in January?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

No I’m a permanent employee 👍🏻 And I don’t mind the question as I don’t try and be anything else.

cheers. appreciated.

Herein lies some one of the key factors in why footballers do what they do.

They're contractors, and if another organisation is willing to triple your income, especially over say a three year period, and especially an organisation that could then increase your profile further such that you triple your income yet again (moving to a bigger club)....it's almost impossible to turn that down. Especially when in 10-15 years you'll likely no longer be earning huge money. 

For JS he could go from his current £5k / wk to earning £45k / wk in four yrs time (or possibly less).  Thats up to £2.5mil a year.

SectionDJambo
Just now, tynietigers said:

If that is the case is anybody really going to offer him say a 3 year deal on 10/15/20 grand a week 🤔 and if not then why hasn’t he signed that contract with us. 

Because that's still too much for us to pay out in wages. When there's no transfer fee involved the length of contract will probably only be 2 years. I think he may struggle to get a longer contract than that, even with Hearts. He'll be be hoping to play for the next couple of years injury free, on bigger wages than we can afford, and then go for an even better contract to see out his 20s.

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

To be fair you also value Hibs Doig at £5m so I’m not sure how much credibility you’ve got in that department.

HEARTS FOREVER

I think he'd be better coming out with what his plans are. Instead he's keeping the Hearts fans in the dark and it feels a bit like he's pulling the wool over our eyes here.

Think the fans  and the club deserve a bit better from John imo.

Edited by HEARTS FOREVER

SectionDJambo
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But am I right in saying there can still be a “bidding war” for him for clubs to sign and get him in January?

I might be wrong, but I think only a Scottish club can officially offer him a pre contract. Nothing stopping his agent making arrangements elsewhere on ghe quiet though.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

If the option is for Souttar to leave us in January for a couple of hundred grand or see out his contract and help us achieve 2/3 place?? 

I would rather he stayed till the end. A couple of home games in Europe would be worth more than the nominal selling price. With the added bonus that we get to see him in a Hearts Jersey for a further 6 months. 

1 minute ago, tynietigers said:

Once again fair enough but he looks better than ever at the moment and he will know in himself and Hearts and for that matter another club how realistic he is to break down again. I just live in hope for us to get that one deal which could make us a good few pennies instead of another who gives us that token 400 grand ☹️

We will get significantly more than a couple of hundred grand from promotion pushing championship club, I’ve got no clue why people keep putting silly numbers like that out there. I think maybe Hibs / OF fans trying to troll and lowball. There are clubs who will need an in form CH in January not just want him. 

He will go for at least £2m on last nights evidence possibly £3m if Hearts get through to January still in winning form with Souttar playing as well as he is. My bet is on West Brom, Stoke, Rangers, Celtic, all in a bidding war. And Hearts will set a “buy him now” price tag of £2.5m and call it a draw. That’s less than half the price we could have sold him for if it was not for bad luck with injuries. So the injury risk is reflected in the low £2m type number. It should be £5m plus, Bongo and I agree on not too many things but one thing we agree on is ability wise John Souttar would have no issues with being a Premier League player and a very good one. 

On current form, forget keeping him till May. To me it makes the Moore signing more clear. He’s the ready made replacement for the planned sale of soapy in January. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There could be particularly by championship clubs desperate for promotion or possibly Premiership clubs desperate to avoid relegation eg Villa and Newcastle. Playing well for Scotland should increase the chances of this happening.

13 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

I hope as well, I just think it's a bit unrealistic unfortunately

6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I

This