• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not arguing with myself at all so quit the nonsense.  You and pretty much everyone else have agreed with me though for some reason we have to wait for regular European competition which will never ever happen unless we can retain our top players.  

nope I do not think we should pay £20k per week.
I just want the club to do the absolute maximum we can do. The the absolute minimum we should do would be to make JS our highest or joint highest earner whatever that number is.  

I think you will be surprised by our wage bill.. our turnover this season. Will be between 15-20million.  There is no way our wage bill will be anything close to 33% of turnover. I’ll go right ahead and guess that our wage bill will be closer to £10million than £5.. a fair chunk of it wasted on players who do not contribute

I agree we should make him a good offer within our wage structure but I'm conflicted about breaking the bank for him. There are players recently I'd have been happy for us to break the bank for - Paterson, Hickey, Skacel before he left the first time, going back a bit Ricardo Fuller...

Not sure Souttar is one I'd do that with, partly his injury history and relative lack of experience at hs age because of his injuries might restrict how much we could get for him, and partly that we typically don't have much trouble finding decent CBs for our level. He's easier to replace than players like the above basically. I suspect we'll make a more than decent contract offer and we've already turned down offers from England for him so it's clear we want to keep him.

But has Souttar done more to deserve a huge wage than Boyce for example? How would it hamper our efforts to sign Cochrane, Moore and Woodburn, or other players next season, if their agents know how much Souttar got? It's a tough one for a club like us that can maybe only pay one player wages closer to what they can get elsewhere.

Edited by ToqueJambo

21 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Exactly.  The guy has had horrendous injuries and is naturally concerned that any recurrence could spell the end of his career.  He has therefore got to for the big money and that's down south.

Even if he ends up in just the championship he will at least treble is wage.

There are apparently at least three teams sussing him out, including Stoke where his young brother plays.

Hearts focus should be on making sure we are able to get a decent fee for him, rather than dangling peanuts.

Nailed it. He knows he could be crocked at any time so he's making sure he's sorted financially can't argue with that, he has a family to feed. Get Hearts some kind of fee them look after yourself. We'd all do the same. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not arguing with myself at all so quit the nonsense.  You and pretty much everyone else have agreed with me though for some reason we have to wait for regular European competition which will never ever happen unless we can retain our top players.  

I just want the club to do the absolute maximum we can do. The the absolute minimum we should do would be to make JS our highest or joint highest earner whatever that number is.  

I think you will be surprised by our wage bill.. our turnover this season. Will be between 15-20million.  There is no way our wage bill will be anything close to 33% of turnover. I’ll go right ahead and guess that our wage bill will be closer to £10million than £5.. a fair chunk of it wasted on players who do not contribute

Yeah, it could be around £10m, 5% on one player who is injury prone is still a massive chunk. 

Souttar was one of the players who wasn't contributing while injured and recovering yet you want to make him our joint highest earner. 

You have highlighted the massive flaw in your own logic and it is a big one giving Souttars history. 

( we may already have offered that). 

I hope he stays, but speculating to accumulate is not an option we'll pursue. 

Not o me I hope we ever pursue again. 

Unfortunately that mean's other clubs will offer more to potential signings and to our current players. 

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, it could be around £10m, 5% on one player who is injury prone is still a massive chunk. 

Souttar was one of the players who wasn't contributing while injured and recovering yet you want to make him our joint highest earner. 

You have highlighted the massive flaw in your own logic and it is a big one giving Souttars history. 

( we may already have offered that). 

I hope he stays, but speculating to accumulate is not an option we'll pursue. 

Not o me I hope we ever pursue again. 

Unfortunately that mean's other clubs will offer more to potential signings and to our current players. 

Not an option we will persue for Souttar.  ? Ok I don’t agree but at least I understand the arguement.

Not an option we will ever persue.. ? That would be madness. An acceptance of mediocrity.  

Again, this does not mean we bankrupt ourselves.

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not an option we will persue for Souttar.  ? Ok I don’t agree but at least I understand the arguement.

Not an option we will ever persue.. ? That would be madness. An acceptance of mediocrity.  

Again, this does not mean we bankrupt ourselves.

I think we'll grow steadily and improve year on year, regular European football would be massive, especially if in the group stages

We're a bit of that yet, but we are getting there. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think we'll grow steadily and improve year on year, regular European football would be massive, especially if in the group stages

We're a bit of that yet, but we are getting there. 

Can’t disagree but, i think I’m order to improve and secure European footballer need to sign our best and when they leave.. give ourselves a good chance of replacing them.  

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Can’t disagree but, i think I’m order to improve and secure European footballer need to sign our best and when they leave.. give ourselves a good chance of replacing them.  

Yeah and Tbh given our relative financial clout we should be able to put together a squad that is top 4 regularly and grow from there. 

We need to get back "there" first tho. 

We are on track for that. 

Do that then we can jump up a level but we aren't even there yet. 

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Nailed it. He knows he could be crocked at any time so he's making sure he's sorted financially can't argue with that, he has a family to feed. Get Hearts some kind of fee them look after yourself. We'd all do the same. 

He could get crocked next week and our offer could be withdrawn.  He'd be wishing then he had taken what I assume is a decent offer so he could have fed his family better.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It doesn’t make sense at all. We’re not in the ballpark of £10k week for a player unless we win the league this season and get the £30million goody bag that comes with it.

Craig Gordon. 

We all want success. But not at any price. The last time we spent "big" money to try and compete it bankrupted the club and we almost went under. Yes I understand the economics are different and we dont now have 1 person bankrolling us but let's be sensible. We cannot afford to pay over the odds

He will move and probably at x5 what we can pay him. Not rocket science. No way can we gamble by paying him a fortune (ala Gordon) and risk it.

best scenario is we get an offer we can’t refuse in January. If not we get to keep him until the summer which is great.

He rightfully should capitalise and make as much as possible with a good club. He’s had shit luck so I for one would be happy for him (as long as it isn’t the arse cheeks)

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

He will move and probably at x5 what we can pay him. Not rocket science. No way can we gamble by paying him a fortune (ala Gordon) and risk it.

best scenario is we get an offer we can’t refuse in January. If not we get to keep him until the summer which is great.

He rightfully should capitalise and make as much as possible with a good club. He’s had shit luck so I for one would be happy for him (as long as it isn’t the arse cheeks)

Agree 100%.  I have no idea what Souttar is thinking, but the notion that he will sign a new contract seems a fanciful one.  The club would be mad to try and compete with championship clubs.  Souttar would be mad to sign a new contract if he is being offered a crack at the epl with an ambitious championship club, plus more money than we could afford.  

Some may be frustrated at the club if he does sign a pre-contract, or leaves on the cheap, but I don't think there's much anyone could have done.  If not for 2 terrible injuries, he would probably have left for a 2mill + by now.  I just pray he stays fit this season and we can enjoy watching him play in a good team.  By the way, I think he has actually improved massively since coming back at the end of last season.

It is beginning to feel a bit like the Andy Irving situation from last season. I don't think Souttar is going to sign. I desperately hope I am wrong.

My thought on this up to today has been that I felt Souttar should do the right thing by Hearts and sign a new contract so we can get a few million for him when we inevitably sell him. We stuck by him through all his injury problems and when he thought he might not be able to walk properly again. Signing a new contract would be a good way to repay the club for that.

Having listened to the SATF podcast today I have had a bit of a mood change on it. If he decides to not sign a new deal and move on I will be sorely disappointed but I will understand. Souttar has had very serious injuries during his career and his brother has apparently just gone down with a serious injury as well. Maybe there is some genetic reason for that or maybe it is just bad luck, who knows. Either way, it would only be natural for the thought to be going through John's mind that another serious injury is only a second away and that might be the end of his career. So he may well feel that if he gets offered a five figure weekly wage and a large signing on fee by a club down south that he better take the offer while it is on the table and make some serious dough for himself and his family. 

I want that for him. I genuinely do. He seems like a good lad and he's such a good player to watch playing for Hearts. I just wish that Hearts could get what is financially fair out of this whole situation as well. Souttar is a £5million player and we are staring down the barrel of losing him for nothing. That hurts. But we may just have to get used to the idea because with each passing day it looks ever more likely to happen. 🙁

51 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

It is beginning to feel a bit like the Andy Irving situation from last season. I don't think Souttar is going to sign. I desperately hope I am wrong.

My thought on this up to today has been that I felt Souttar should do the right thing by Hearts and sign a new contract so we can get a few million for him when we inevitably sell him. We stuck by him through all his injury problems and when he thought he might not be able to walk properly again. Signing a new contract would be a good way to repay the club for that.

Having listened to the SATF podcast today I have had a bit of a mood change on it. If he decides to not sign a new deal and move on I will be sorely disappointed but I will understand. Souttar has had very serious injuries during his career and his brother has apparently just gone down with a serious injury as well. Maybe there is some genetic reason for that or maybe it is just bad luck, who knows. Either way, it would only be natural for the thought to be going through John's mind that another serious injury is only a second away and that might be the end of his career. So he may well feel that if he gets offered a five figure weekly wage and a large signing on fee by a club down south that he better take the offer while it is on the table and make some serious dough for himself and his family. 

I want that for him. I genuinely do. He seems like a good lad and he's such a good player to watch playing for Hearts. I just wish that Hearts could get what is financially fair out of this whole situation as well. Souttar is a £5million player and we are staring down the barrel of losing him for nothing. That hurts. But we may just have to get used to the idea because with each passing day it looks ever more likely to happen. 🙁

You are bang on the money there.

Naisys Tackle

Soapy is still looking at mid table championship sides.  They aren’t going to pay us £5m with his record.  He will end up leaving and perhaps we can get a see on fraction in the future. 

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

Agree 100%.  I have no idea what Souttar is thinking, but the notion that he will sign a new contract seems a fanciful one.  The club would be mad to try and compete with championship clubs.  Souttar would be mad to sign a new contract if he is being offered a crack at the epl with an ambitious championship club, plus more money than we could afford.  

Some may be frustrated at the club if he does sign a pre-contract, or leaves on the cheap, but I don't think there's much anyone could have done.  If not for 2 terrible injuries, he would probably have left for a 2mill + by now.  I just pray he stays fit this season and we can enjoy watching him play in a good team.  By the way, I think he has actually improved massively since coming back at the end of last season.

Good post.

maybe if he goes in January for whatever money we will be able to get a sell on clause , maybe that’s a good compromise. But I think I’d rather have him until the summer. He’s such a great player I’ll be gutted to see him go but fully understand if he’s does. 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Good post.

maybe if he goes in January for whatever money we will be able to get a sell on clause , maybe that’s a good compromise. But I think I’d rather have him until the summer. He’s such a great player I’ll be gutted to see him go but fully understand if he’s does. 

I would rather we compromise on a sell on fee for the future than a few more months in January. 

43 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I would rather we compromise on a sell on fee for the future than a few more months in January. 

Not so sure given if we do get 3rd the money we would get in Europe 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I think your plan makes  sense for players other than ones with Soutars injury history. He is another Levein. Would have made millions(relatively speaking) from him had he avoided serious injury. Soutar, good though he is, isn’t worth the risk imo. If we can £500k plus a very optimistic sell on clause in January we have to take it. 

Depends where we are in the league IMO - position and points 

Naisys Tackle
17 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Not so sure given if we do get 3rd the money we would get in Europe 

We should be confident enough of getting third regardless tbh. 

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

A fair bit of it wasted on an academy that produces no players and would be better spent on attracting good ambitious players and a smaller squad. 

Bazzas right boot

Souttar is doing to us , the same as he done done to Dundee Utd.

He thought he'd  be better off at us and he was right, now he's thinking he'll be better off elsewhere.

Hopefully we do it to other clubs ( take their better players that are out of contract)  in the future but it will also happen to us.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

A fair bit of it wasted on an academy that produces no players and would be better spent on attracting good ambitious players and a smaller squad. 

Depends.

If it is direct player to the first team then it could be seen as wasted.

If having a youth team is away of making sure we attract young players and fans, have a presence in the community and ensure that Heart of Midlothian have a fundamental part to play in Edinburgh  sports and in securing future interest in our club and Scottish football then maybe not.

It depends how you look at it.

Edited by Smith's right boot

14 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Craig Gordon. 

Now there's a player to "break the bank" for, and one who "I'd be inconsolable if he left". That man has made an immeasurable difference to the team.

Edited by FTH

20 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

But we are ploughing £150k/month. 

An old question but what is that money going to be used for?

It pisses me off that so many fans are adamant this money shouldn't be used for players.

Why tf not? We're a football club, we exist to put players on the pitch.

7 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Depends.

If it is direct player to the first team then it could be seen as wasted.

If having a youth team is away of making sure we attract young players and fans, have a presence in the community and ensure that Heart of Midlothian have a fundamental part to play in Edinburgh  sports and in securing future interest in our club and Scottish football then maybe not.

It depends how you look at it.

And is it? Are clubs without academies struggling because of this?

8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It pisses me off that so many fans are adamant this money shouldn't be used for players.

Not if you listen to Mrs Budge, we have a "football department" which forms part of our business.

I totally get that sentiment holds no bounds for a football player . I also get that a football player’s career is relatively short. Soapy’s also had multiple injuries already and at the age he is then he may seek to get the biggest bucks on offer by moving on ASAP.

That’s my understanding of a modern player at most clubs nowadays.

However Hearts have been unbelievably good for the boy and 100% deserve some loyalty. Even another 1 year contract being signed to allow us to reap some rewards for our incredible efforts of trying to ensure he was extremely well looked after during his rehabs and didn’t end up on the scrap heap.

If he moves on now and without giving us something back I for one would never forgive him. Hearts legends are people who give their all to the badge and Soapy leaving like this would leave a very bad taste in the mouths of the vast majority of Hearts fans.

I really hope he does the right thing, for us in the short term and for himself in the long by signing a new deal in order we get payback for our efforts. Not confident that’ll happen but while there’s life there’s hope.

9 minutes ago, FTH said:

Not if you listen to Mrs Budge, we have a "football department" which forms part of our business.

I gave up putting this point forward years ago on this forum because people were united in their belief that the money shouldn't go to the playing squad. That had nothing to do with Ann Budge, that was here.

I still can't get my head round why this makes sense to the vast majority of Hearts fans.

28 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is the money not being used for the day to day running of the club which will surely include fees for players and wages as well as everything else that comes with running a full time football club?

gorgie rd eh11
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I gave up putting this point forward years ago on this forum because people were united in their belief that the money shouldn't go to the playing squad. That had nothing to do with Ann Budge, that was here.

I still can't get my head round why this makes sense to the vast majority of Hearts fans.

If it's being used for other than the playing squad then it's freeing up money for the playing squad. The "football department" will benefit from FOH money even if it's indirectly.

7 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

If it's being used for other than the playing squad then it's freeing up money for the playing squad. The "football department" will benefit from FOH money even if it's indirectly.

So why the big song and dance about it not going to the playing squad?

30 minutes ago, FTH said:

And when you are at that level it's fine to think like that.

Especially when the football department is the one where all the money goes out. You need other departments to bring it in.

20 minutes ago, BIG ECK said:

I totally get that sentiment holds no bounds for a football player . I also get that a football player’s career is relatively short. Soapy’s also had multiple injuries already and at the age he is then he may seek to get the biggest bucks on offer by moving on ASAP.

However Hearts have been unbelievably good for the boy and 100% deserve some loyalty. Even another 1 year contract being signed to allow us to reap some rewards for our incredible efforts of trying to ensure he was extremely well looked after during his rehabs and didn’t end up on the scrap heap.

If he moves on now and without giving us something back I for one would never forgive him. Hearts legends are people who give their all to the badge and Soapy leaving like this would leave a very bad taste in the mouths of the vast majority of Hearts fans.

I really hope he does the right thing, for us in the short term and for himself in the long by signing a new deal in order we get payback for our efforts. Not confident that’ll happen but while there’s life there’s hope.

Hearts were contractually obliged to look after him, and if we hadn't then all future potential signings would think twice about coming to a club that chucks injured players on the scrap heap.

It would be nice if he signs an extension, but he owes us nothing.

gorgie rd eh11
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So why the big song and dance about it not going to the playing squad?

I don't know. Why the big song and dance about it not going to the playing squad?

It all benefits Hearts in every way.

Going forward we have to be a bit smarter.  We’re too late with Souttar’s contract.  Take Beni and Devlin for example, both have signed three year deals.  Next January we should be offering them new contracts, if they don’t accept with a year and a half left to go, then we should sell them at the end of next season while they still have a year left (if we feel that any offers are acceptable and of greater value than keeping them the extra season).

39 minutes ago, BIG ECK said:

Why would he sign a one year contract? 

He does give us something back every time he pulls on the maroon shirt. 

I totally understand his reasons for a move down to England. He’s a really good player but i don’t think we’ll miss him as much as some fear. 

Ainsley Harriott
20 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

A player on 10k a week at hearts is fantasy and stupid. It’s like people have forgot why got into admin. I’d imagine the top earner at hearts will be half of that and will be Craig Gordon.

Exactly some of the drivel folk put out on here is laughable

25 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

I can understand the point you’re making. All aspects of the business are inextricably linked. Rightly or wrongly some contributors would prefer the money to help subsidise overheads other than Salary costs. Their preferred option might be helping the academy or other vital projects. Personally I don’t mind how they allocate the funds as long as it benefits the club.At the same time I can understand why others might prefer it to be more restricted .

25 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

I don't know. Why the big song and dance about it not going to the playing squad?

It all benefits Hearts in every way.

There isn't, I gave it up years ago

18 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

Going forward we have to be a bit smarter.  We’re too late with Souttar’s contract.  Take Beni and Devlin for example, both have signed three year deals.  Next January we should be offering them new contracts, if they don’t accept with a year and a half left to go, then we should sell them at the end of next season while they still have a year left (if we feel that any offers are acceptable and of greater value than keeping them the extra season).

Ideally, well over a year ago, we would have been looking to extend Soapys contract. As it transpired, he sustained yet another horrific injury. So the club, not knowing if/when he would recover couldn’t have offered him a deal at that stage. When did he finally come back into the team? Around April? By then, his contract had of course advanced with no extension signed. I can’t blame the club or the player on this occasion.

I wouldn’t have expected the club to hand out a new long term contract just after Soapys most recent serious injury. Nor can I blame him for wanting to keep his options open at this stage of his contract. His injury record for someone of his age isn’t great to say the least. It’s been said repeatedly but a footballers career is very short and he must have it in his mind, if he signs a new contract with us, and sustains another bad injury, will he get another chance to earn a potentially big money move? 

Unlike past situations with players contracts running down, here, there is definite mitigation.

I hope JS does stay but I won’t be punching a cardboard cut out of him if he leaves 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

It's probably because of all the money that has been wasted over the last few years, before the recruitment was overhauled. Fans would have been extremely perturbed at the thought of more players like Whelan and Damour being paid big wages, for our club, from our money intended to benefit Hearts.

If Joe Savage and his team keep up the improvement in recruitment that we've seen this season, and we see consistent benefit from performances and results, that reluctance to risk our money on wages of players may begin to recede.

No longer active

From my point of view he is a good player who is always going to be 1 game away from an injury reoccurrence. If teams down south put up then we should get the best we can in January! None of this sell on clause BS either. Cash in and invest in youth. Moore is more than capable in the CB position and just as adventurous moving forward. The money needs to be invested for what looks like a rosy future with the current crop of players

Edited by George Cowie
Typo

The Apprentice
20 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

I’d guess the club have offered Souttar the top wages they can. Which is probably about 1/3 of what a Championship club could give him.

£20k per week no problem for Souttar down south. Hearts can’t compete with that. 

That’s the key point. Whether the club has pushed the boat out or not the fact is we can’t compete with the wages on offer down south. By the sounds of it there are a few clubs after him which means he’s in a really good position to negotiate and the fact he’s free at the end of the season could mean a decent signing on fee etc

It wouldn’t surprise me if the likes of Stoke offer promotion bonuses and wage increases on promotion. It could be life changing money for him in fairness. 

Tennant's  6's
1 hour ago, Getintaethem said:

Exactly. 

Obviously there were mitigating reasons for not extending Souttars' contract whilst he was out injured, but we really need to get to grips with getting the timings right re contracts so that we've got the time to get our prized assets sold, should they not be willing to sign any extension to their contracts. 

In saying that, I'd love to see the majority of this squad be kept together for a few seasons, with only minimal change, ie big bids too good to turn down for a Beni or Devlin for eg..

Allowayjambo1874
15 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Excellent post.

I think that the modern player sees payback as adding a sell on fee for his new club so that the previous club gets something if he moves on again. They do not have to do this but some do. I can see JS putting a clause in with new club about giving hearts 15% sell on in any future transfer. However that’s not exactly worked massively well for us in the past (Paterson & Nicholson)