John souttar

William H. Bonney

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

Think we have trust the club on this one, it's too complex for the jkb chosen.

I trust the club to be looking for the correct replacement for John.

Once he leaves i couldn't care less if his career nosedives tbh - i'm only concerned about us.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I trust the club to be looking for the correct replacement for John.

Once he leaves i couldn't care less if his career nosedives tbh - i'm only concerned about us.

If / when he leaves, he will be remembered as an outstanding player, one of the best of recent years, who had several major injury setbacks, each time returning stronger and better.

Because he has served Hearts so well - and also because he is a bright young Scottish talent - I will continue to take a great interest in his career and I hope he prospers.

In the event that he should move to another Scottish team, I reserve the right to hope that the team he joins nosedives spectacularly, We can only hope.

Souttar is holding all the cards here. If we get an acceptable financial offer in January he can turn it down. He can sit where he is for another 5 months and we’ll get nothing, not even a sell on clause.

He is potentially much better than Stoke who seem to be the front runners. Stoke are a no mark club going nowhere anytime soon. All they have to offer is money. I’ll be disappointed if he goes there because it’s purely for money if he does. He surely needs to show higher ambition than Stoke FFS

His stock and standing rose considerably last night. If I was him I’d maybe hold off until a decent club comes in for him. Tierney to Arsenal. Robertson to Liverpool. That’s the sort of move Souttar should be looking for. Another couple of good international performances and he’ll get a better move in the summer than he will in January, unless of course a big boy jumps the gun and takes him in January. I think that’s our best hope to score anything out of this. I don’t think we’re getting £1million plus for him unless it’s a top half EPL club with money to burn on risk projects.

Edited by JimmyCant

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Souttar is holding all the cards here. If we get an acceptable financial offer in January he can turn it down. He can sit where he is for another 5 months and we’ll get nothing, not even a sell on clause.

He is potentially much better than Stoke who seem to be the front runners. Stoke are a no mark club going nowhere anytime soon. All they have to offer is money.

His stock and standing rose considerably last night. If I was him I’d maybe hold off until a decent club comes in for him. Tierney to Arsenal. Robertson to Liverpool. That’s the sort of move Souttar should be looking for. Another couple of good international performances and he’ll get a better move in the summer than he will in January, unless of course a big boy jumps the gun and takes him in January. I think that’s our best hope to score anything out of this. I don’t think we’re getting £1million plus for him unless it’s a top half EPL club with money to burn on risk projects.

Very unusual for a player to go straight from a non-old firm SPL club to a decent EPL club without going via the Championship.

It then comes down to making the right choice of Championship club to use as your stepping stone. Someone like Kenny McLean joined Norwich in the Championship but they were a good promotion bet, same wiyth John McGinn. Scott McKenna probably thought the same but Forest are nowehere near promtion. It's a bit of a gamble for the player.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

In what way did we not do our best for him when he was injured ? 🤔 

Rushed him back?

Played him when he wasn’t quite right or as strong as he could have been?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

14 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He is potentially much better than Stoke who seem to be the front runners. Stoke are a no mark club going nowhere anytime soon. All they have to offer is money.

If I was John Soutar I would either sign a new contract with Hearts with a release clause in it. 

Or move asap for a decent

'signing on' fee to the best club available to him. 

With his injury record he will be taking one hell of a chance with a pre contract. 

I admit to not knowing the terms of PC agreements it might be possible for him to be protected from injury concerns although I doubt this as clubs will not want to be committed to signing a crock. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Rushed him back?

Played him when he wasn’t quite right or as strong as he could have been?

Is there any evidence of that ? 

He was out for ages hardly rushed back. 

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Very unusual for a player to go straight from a non-old firm SPL club to a decent EPL club without going via the Championship.

It then comes down to making the right choice of Championship club to use as your stepping stone. Someone like Kenny McLean joined Norwich in the Championship but they were a good promotion bet, same wiyth John McGinn. Scott McKenna probably thought the same but Forest are nowehere near promtion. It's a bit of a gamble for the player.

Fair points, but if you’re picking clubs in that league, the choices are Bournemouth or Fulham, both likely to go up this season. Stoke are 5th at the moment but you could throw a hankie over the clubs from 3rd down to near the bottom and Stoke are just as likely to go downwards and stay there struggling for years. You want to go to a club doing okay and getting you noticed rather than the dog fight in the middle of the championship where a bad run of 8 or 9 games can get you relegated and then you’re fecked for a move up.

He's a ball playing centre half and got the potential injury free to be better than Elvis Webster or the late zal! And will score a few goals his long pass from one side to the other is excellent 

How does that actually happen? "But Gaffer I'm still no fit,I feel my achilles could snap any minute" " shut up ya tube,put them boots on or I'll kick yer heed in,now get oot their and play"

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Fair points, but if you’re picking clubs in that league, the choices are Bournemouth or Fulham, both likely to go up this season. Stoke are 5th at the moment but you could throw a hankie over the clubs from 3rd down to near the bottom and Stoke are just as likely to go downwards and stay there struggling for years. You want to go to a club doing okay and getting you noticed rather than the dog fight in the middle of the championship where a bad run of 8 or 9 games can get you relegated and then you’re fecked for a move up.

Absolutely and that's what i meant.

No way is Kenny Mclean the kind of player we looked at up here and thought would make an EPL player, but he chose the correct club.

If John has EPL ambitions then a club like West Brom would be a good move. Fulham like to play football and may appreciate what he does as well.

Looks very likely he’ll be away in January, will wish him all the best as long as its not to either of the old firm. If it wasn’t for his last long term injury he’d have been away already, think he signed that last extension to get us a decent fee and it was just pure bad luck he got another bad injury, one of those things, hope he fulfills his potential and ends up in the premiership, he’s a Rolls Royce of a player when he’s fit, practically impossible to bring in another CB of the same quality when he goes as well 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Is there any evidence of that ? 

He was out for ages hardly rushed back. 

If you don’t think we rushed players back over the past 3 seasons consider the consequences of playing Peter Haring in that cup final.

We were a mess medically for a couple of years. That many injuries, repeat injuries, continued absences and muscle injuries in particular is not bad luck.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

I assume that if he goes for free in the summer then he will get a significantly larger signing on fee for "saving" his new club having to pay us a transfer fee? Is that how such a situation usually pans out?

2 minutes ago, heisenberg86 said:

Looks very likely he’ll be away in January, will wish him all the best as long as its not to either of the old firm. If it wasn’t for his last long term injury he’d have been away already, think he signed that last extension to get us a decent fee and it was just pure bad luck he got another bad injury, one of those things, hope he fulfills his potential and ends up in the premiership, he’s a Rolls Royce of a player when he’s fit, practically impossible to bring in another CB of the same quality when he goes as well 

I think Taylor Moore would be a good replacement if we can persuade him and we can afford him. Get him in and we can concentrate on filling the bigger gaps we have, like RWB, striker, attacking central midfield and a decent apprentice for when Gordon retires. Get that all sorted and keep who we want to keep in the summer and we’re a right good team going forward into next season.

Stoke City | Home Attendances | Football Web Pages

Stoke appear to be a club of similar size to us with similar attendances so I can't see JS thinking he's progressing his football career by going there. His financial situation will be better but his football prospects won't be enhanced If he doesn't go to an EPL side. He's too good for us and Stoke on last night's performance, and he must have put a million on his value and 20k on his weekly pay against Denmark.

17 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

I assume that if he goes for free in the summer then he will get a significantly larger signing on fee for "saving" his new club having to pay us a transfer fee? Is that how such a situation usually pans out?

It all depends on how high someone’s stock is I suppose. 

I hope he wakes up this morning and has an epiphany and decides to sign which would probably be better for his immediate international career short term. Pick the wrong club John and you might well miss out on a World Cup.

Wishful thinking I know.

30 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Pretty much yes. The Secret Footballer book gives some cracking insight into how players work the market in their favour. This being one such scenario.

14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If you don’t think we rushed players back over the past 3 seasons consider the consequences of playing Peter Haring in that cup final.

We were a mess medically for a couple of years. That many injuries, repeat injuries, continued absences and muscle injuries in particular is not bad luck.

That's how chance works - just because there's an average of injuries you can expect it doesn't mean every clubs should have that average. Some clubs might have significantly more or fewer than that average at times, unfortunately at that time we had a ridiculous amount including Berra getting an injury his doctor said was like a bomb injury, Ikpeazu getting an injury usually associated with car crashes and Levein having a heart attack.

On Haring in particular, his injury might have been worsened slightly by playing in the cup final but the length of his time out was more down to being unable to properly diagnose, and therefore treat, what was causing his hip/pelvic pain.

4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Pretty much yes. The Secret Footballer book gives some cracking insight into how players work the market in their favour. This being one such scenario.

Thanks Liam. If that is what is on his mind then he is taking a big gamble on staying injury free till next summer. Also, in the unlikely event we do end up qualifying for the World Cup, he would need to hit the ground running at his new club in order to be sure of a place in the squad. Looks like he might be waiting to see if there is interest in January before committing to a new contract. Weighing all this up I think it is unlikely he will "do us a favour" and sign a new contract but I wouldn't say that ship has already sailed for sure.

StirlingJambo
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Because 

If no move comes in then we can't move him. 

He could get injured. 

Other players may or imo will become unhappy. 

That is why we won't do it, not to mention he might already be getting offered that or more elsewhere so why would he take all that risk, when he can get it now and a big signing on fee?

That’s all ifs buts and maybes though. Mater of the fact is we’re letting the most valuable player we’ve had on the books since Gordon (first time) leave for peanuts. 

I really think we have the money to get Souttar to sign this big contract that will benefit us big time. These are the kind of transfers that could change Hearts full set up for the foreseeable.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

That’s all ifs buts and maybes though. Mater of the fact is we’re letting the most valuable player we’ve had on the books since Gordon (first time) leave for peanuts. 

I really think we have the money to get Souttar to sign this big contract that will benefit us big time. These are the kind of transfers that could change Hearts full set up for the foreseeable.

It's really not from Souttars point of view tho, signing with Hearts is all ifs and buts. 

Signing the most valuable contract he has available is the opposite of that. 

It mean's he is secure no matter what and financially better off. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

He has a point though. The club today is run a lot better than it was 18 months ago. The recruitment and the contracts throwing about to new players was shocking. Colin Doyle contract in particular was a joke!

I have had a think about it again and yeah we will never know if a contract was offered to John when he was injured, We could of offered him a contract every couple months and he is just reluctant to sign the contract. We will never know. 

If he goes I wish him all the best and really hope he can go to the top he seems a sound guy. I have faith also with the recruitment team, Joe and Robbie to bring in a replacement OR better still manage to come up with a deal to get Taylor Moore signed from Bristol City. 

He has no point Tbh, you can't force players to sign extensions. 

If they don't want to sign they won't. 

Nothing Hearts can do about it ( in the real world). 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, StirlingJambo said:

If we can afford to give him somewhere around 15k on a 2 year contract with the promise he can leave this coming summer then why not. His price is only going to rise. 

I doubt we can and if we do that for him we would have a raft of agents banging on th door demanding similar. 

I'd also doubt that £15k over 2 year would be enough as well. 

Just takes a club to offer the same over 3 years and chuck in a £1m signing on fee as he's costing them nothing. 

His price could also crash. 

We won't offer any type of money that hamstrings our budget and pisses off half the team all on a hope a prayer we sell him for mega bucks. 

It just won't happen. 

We offer our best contract within our means and if it is competitive and Souttar wants to stay he'll sign it. 

If not he goes. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Stoke City step up transfer interest after key star's season-ending injury (teamtalk.com)

Certainly this lot seem to believe Stoke only have to snap heir fingers and he'll be on his way,

and they don't seem to think there will be any competition:

"Souttar’s contract with Hearts runs out at the end of the season. As such, a deal in January may be an easy one to complete.

Furthermore, the Hearts man is valued under £1million, therefore it may prove a cheap one as well.

I sound bad, but if Stoke are offering what Souttar wants then at least we have some cards now. 

This injury works in our favour. 

They need a centre half urgently and although normally we'd get buttons or lose him for free they might pay a little extra than they planned to as they'll want someone in ASAP. 

£1-£2m from them with 6 months left would be very good.

Next best thing to him staying. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

According to that, this is the first season he's been able to nail down a starting spot, I hope the managers are more knowledgeable.

Indeed , usual ignorance of the quality/standard of the Scottish game and players. Making out it's a huge step up to play in the English Championship it has a varied standard of teams like the Scottish Premiership. Harry Souttar went from being on loan at Fleetwood Town to being a starter at Stoke FFS.

So what if we were to re-sign him, make him the club’s top earner, in the expectation we’ll get a fat fee, and then he gets another bad injury and we’re left paying his wages for the duration of the contract? There’s a significant risk for the club here, too.

FWIW, I reckon that staying with us will help his international ambitions more than signing for a Championship club, and that’s the only small advantage we have. If there’s interest from the EPL or (sadly) RanTic, he’s as good as gone.

1 minute ago, Doc Rob said:

So what if we were to re-sign him, make him the club’s top earner, in the expectation we’ll get a fat fee, and then he gets another bad injury and we’re left paying his wages for the duration of the contract? There’s a significant risk for the club here, too.

FWIW, I reckon that staying with us will help his international ambitions more than signing for a Championship club, and that’s the only small advantage we have. If there’s interest from the EPL or (sadly) RanTic, he’s as good as gone.

You're first paragraph didn't that happen with driver or am I misremembering?

Stoke would be a bad move for Soapy. Michael O'Neil is a good coach and has done well with Stoke but I'd imagine his approach in the Championship when chasing promotion would be very different battling relegation the EPL. He doesn't want to go to a team under the cosh everyweek, that's not going to make him a better player. Leeds Utd, Brentford teams that play out from the back and like to get their foot on the ball is the way forward, not sitting on the edge of his 18 yard box under pressure for 90 minutes hacking balls clear. 

After last night, I think we're justified in making a really big offer to him to sign for 2 years, with some kind of agreement or clause that a £2m (plus)  bid in any of the 3 windows would be considered by the club.    We've only got 2 Scotland full  international players, and it should be fairly obvious to all our players why CG and JS have earned their big contracts.

The club has never been in such a good financial state (albeit with a debt to Ann Budge) - if we can't do something like this now, you'd have to question our ambition.

kingantti1874
19 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

thats the risk we have to take.  We either believe in him or we do not 

He may copy Callum Patterson and insert a clause that Hearts get a % of any future transfer fee. Having said that do we not have to pay a % of any fee we pick up to Dundee United. We might get more if we keep him and qualify for the group stages in Europe 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

He is potentially much better than Stoke who seem to be the front runners. Stoke are a no mark club going nowhere anytime soon. All they have to offer is money. I’ll be disappointed if he goes there because it’s purely for money if he does. He surely needs to show higher ambition than Stoke FFS

Agree with you to a degree but with his injury past if he picks up another serious injury he's then in limbo 

IIRC we got around £1.5m for Sow in the January window with 6 months left on his contract.

The upside to stupid amounts of money being available to English clubs is that a couple of million to get a player in early doesn't trouble them a bit.

Souttar putting himself in the shop window yesterday likely upped the price quite a bit. If it's just Stoke, they may be able to finesse the situation and take advantage of our lack of leverage. OTOH, if Stoke and, let's just say, Aston Villa come shopping, there's a chance to bid up the price a bit.

Anyone that thinks JS holds all the cards are mistaken...only going on his history of injuries, he could well hold out past January to maximise his €£€£ return on paper to move on in the summer, only to pick up another long term injury between Feb and end of the season...his options would be somewhat reduced if that was the case...

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

thats the risk we have to take.  We either believe in him or we do not 

You are ignoring the fact that our best offer might not better what he's been offered elsewhere  and he simply doesn't want to sign for us. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Anyone that thinks JS holds all the cards are mistaken...only going on his history of injuries, he could well hold out past January to maximise his €£€£ return on paper to move on in the summer, only to pick up another long term injury between Feb and end of the season...his options would be somewhat reduced if that was the case...

But that adds weight to him signing the best financial deal as quickly as he can in January, which probably isn't with us. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

IIRC we got around £1.5m for Sow in the January window with 6 months left on his contract.

The upside to stupid amounts of money being available to English clubs is that a couple of million to get a player in early doesn't trouble them a bit.

Souttar putting himself in the shop window yesterday likely upped the price quite a bit. If it's just Stoke, they may be able to finesse the situation and take advantage of our lack of leverage. OTOH, if Stoke and, let's just say, Aston Villa come shopping, there's a chance to bid up the price a bit.

Stoke are also more desperate now. 

35 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

After last night, I think we're justified in making a really big offer to him to sign for 2 years, with some kind of agreement or clause that a £2m (plus)  bid in any of the 3 windows would be considered by the club.    We've only got 2 Scotland full  international players, and it should be fairly obvious to all our players why CG and JS have earned their big contracts.

The club has never been in such a good financial state (albeit with a debt to Ann Budge) - if we can't do something like this now, you'd have to question our ambition.

29 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Agree with you to a degree but with his injury past if he picks up another serious injury he's then in limbo 

Unfortunately the second post here is the one which  count for: 1. any club thinking of making and offer 2. Hearts when they make an offer and 3. John Souttar when he makes his decision.

JS will, rightly,  want to secure his financial future so any offer we make to him  will need to do that. That would probably have to be in the region of £3-4 million at least given that even a championship club will be able to offer him £20k per week, that's the guts of a million a year over 3 -4 years. That's what  Hearts would need to offer, and I can't see it, unless we can structure it some way that rewards him if we get a good offer for him.

Last night John played against one of the best national sides in Europe - semi finalists in the European Championship and a team full of EPL players, and alongside team-mates many of whom do the same, and he got MoM. People on here who think that we should take the first 500k that comes along are wrong, if that's the offer we should just see out his contract, £I.5 million at least imo. 

Edited by upgotheheads

kingantti1874
16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You are ignoring the fact that our best offer might not better what he's been offered elsewhere  and he simply doesn't want to sign for us. 

I’m not ignoring anything. I maintain we should push the boat out but at best I think we have a small chance of retaining.

you seem to think we shouldn’t bother at all becuase he may not want to or may get a better offer.

he is our best player, and most valuable asset and we should offer him a contract which represents that status.. which hopefully would see him stay for a little while longer and net the club more money in the long run.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’m not ignoring anything. I maintain we should push the boat out but at best I think we have a small chance of retaining.

you seem to think we shouldn’t bother at all becuase he may not want to or may get a better offer.

he is our best player, and most valuable asset and we should offer him a contract which represents that status.. which hopefully would see him stay for a little while longer and net the club more money in the long run.

You've not explained what push the boat out means, and we may have already done that. 

I've never said don't bother. 

I've said offer him the best deal we feel is best for the club. I think we've already done that. 

Our best offer may have already been offered, rejected and not better than other offers he has. 

Your posts indicate that you think the club has not thought of these quite obvious things and benefits.

It will have, despite popular opinions from some Savage is cleverer than he looks. 

Do you think we've done nothing, not offered him a new deal? 

Do you really think that? 

If so, what more can we do? 

avhudtheteeshirt
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He is a great asset, but his previous injuries will go against him in any transfer fee!

Insurance companies will cringe at the thought of 3 long term injuries in recent years.

He should think about how the club looked after him through those injury spells.

But if he's to go, his best bet would be avoiding any transfer fee, and get a signing on fee!!!

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You've not explained what push the boat out means, and we may have already done that. 

I've never said don't bother. 

I've said offer him the best deal we feel is best for the club. I think we've already done that. 

Our best offer may have already been offered, rejected and not better than other offers he has. 

Your posts indicate that you think the club has not thought of these quite obvious things and benefits.

It will have, despite popular opinions from some Savage is cleverer than he looks. 

Do you think we've done nothing, not offered him a new deal? 

Do you really think that? 

If so, what more can we do? 

of course. Joe Savage has already shown what he's capable of. But not just down to him - from a finance point of view Budge, Anderson and others will be doing all we can within reason.

the amount of hindsight and memory loss from some makes me chuckle. we should 'push the boat out' to offer a long term deal to a player who's had a few potentially career threatening injuries. If the poor guy was to suffer another such injury we'd possibly be stuck paying loads of money to someone who can't play.

we also thankfully have those in charge of our finances who aren't chucking money around the place like they're in a casino.