John souttar

William H. Bonney

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

It's not.  But the main thing I got from my message conversation was he's no interest in extending now and the club are aware of this. 

Yeah, if he was extending it would be done by now. 

Shame, but let's hope we get a  fee and can replace. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• kingantti1874

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Would it enhance his international prospects though? Particularly if we should make the World Cup finals.

Don't think it would, he has a decent relationship with Clarke it would seem and would no doubt do due diligence on any move like that.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

If Hickey had gone to Rangers or Celtic and was playing no better, or even worse than he is at the moment, he would be in the Scotland team. It stinks.

Ahead of Andy Robertson or Tierney? Doubtful. He’s still young enough to play for the under 21s but doesn’t seem to be interested in doing so. His time will come but not for a while yet as Robertson is only 27 and Tierney 24. 

Naisys Tackle
22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, if he was extending it would be done by now. 

Shame, but let's hope we get a  fee and can replace. 

Fee and sell on down south would be a massive bonus.  I fear he's going west and will be next Celtic captain. 

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Ahead of Andy Robertson or Tierney? Doubtful. He’s still young enough to play for the under 21s but doesn’t seem to be interested in doing so. His time will come but not for a while yet as Robertson is only 27 and Tierney 24. 

Aye people keep saying that and it's rubbish.  A, because of your examples and B, because Clarke isn't that kind of manager.  

Look at Ralston, playing out his skin, still not called up until call offs. 

46 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Don't follow the Premiership but signing for Norwich would be possibly worse than signing for a top half championship team. Surprised by inclusion of West Ham as they are high in the tables assumed they'd have decent defenders. 

They do have decent first choice centre halves but my selections were based on him being one of 4 first team CH's, West Ham have Kurt Zouma, Issa Diop, Craig Dawson and a currently injured 33yr old Ogbonna who is out of contract at the end of the season so Soapy could squeeze into the 4 but like my comment regarding newcastle, West Ham may well use some of their new found cash and splash out on a 20-30m defender 

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

It's a tough one for the club. Take £1 million (max) in January, assuming it's offered, or keep him till the end of the season in the hope of getting European football and the money that comes with that. 

Nightmare scenario for us and Souttar is he gets another injury 

If we could get £1m and a sell-on in January that's pretty good going. I'd be a wee bit worried if we didn't have Taylor Moore, but I think we'd make Europe with him in the team. At the moment I think we're big favourites for third place, with or without Soapy.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Fee and sell on down south would be a massive bonus.  I fear he's going west and will be next Celtic captain. 

Yip. 

wattie exploited

really should sign a new contract with a release fee off £2  million plus 30 % sell on fee he does owe the club for the last two years of paying his wages and sticking by him :rifle:

2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

None of them.  Celtic want him. 

And I want Celtic to disappear up their own backsides.

Neither of which is realistically going to happening :lol: 

If he doesn't want to be part of our future which in my humble, is looking rather good currently, if he doesn't want to become a Hearts Legend and all that goes with that esteemed title.

Then he can GTF because I personally don't want players at the club anymore causing uncertainty and being selfish *****.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

If he doesn't want to be part of our future which in my humble, is looking rather good currently, if he doesn't want to become a Hearts Legend and all that goes with that esteemed title.

Then he can GTF because I personally don't want players at the club anymore causing uncertainty and being selfish *****.

You can't blame him for looking after his finances, but no matter if he's not signing, I generally agree-get shot of in January. 

No matter how professional, We don't need players that are looking elsewhere as part of our team.

Move on and replace. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

2 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

really should sign a new contract with a release fee off £2  million plus 30 % sell on fee he does owe the club for the last two years of paying his wages and sticking by him :rifle:

I agree that there should be some sentiment to the club for how we’ve supported him, but he also needs to look after his own future. Just seems so typical we lose another asset on a free 

Naisys Tackle
10 minutes ago, tian447 said:

And I want Celtic to disappear up their own backsides.

Neither of which is realistically going to happening :lol: 

I wouldn't bet against it tbh. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

How is he being selfish?  Is every player that transfers to another club selfish?   Should players have no ambition and just want to play for Hearts, even when it’s not a team they grew up supporting?  

He’s had a horrendous time with injuries and needs to look after his future financially.  This may be his last chance of getting a big pay day. There’s something wrong with anyone that can begrudge him that.

22 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

How is he being selfish?  Is every player that transfers to another club selfish?   Should players have no ambition and just want to play for Hearts, even when it’s not a team they grew up supporting?  

He’s had a horrendous time with injuries and needs to look after his future financially.  This may be his last chance of getting a big pay day. There’s something wrong with anyone that can begrudge him that.

He's not thinking about me or the club, so yes, he's being selfish.

I couldn't care less about a footballers future, I care about the here and now and what's best for my club, call me selfish if you will.

I repeat, if he doesn't have the same ambition as me then in my opinion he can GTF.

wattie exploited
39 minutes ago, Tales1874 said:

I agree that there should be some sentiment to the club for how we’ve supported him, but he also needs to look after his own future. Just seems so typical we lose another asset on a free 

yeah he will get a move but he should sign a new contract with a release clause so we get a good fee for him its about time some football players had a bit loyalty for the platform they have been given :rifle:

40 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I really think he has more sense than that.  He seems like a switched on lad, which would hopefully put him off that move, at least for the time being.

If he is a Celtic supporter, or his family are, then fine.  Unfortunately some people are born that way, and we need to accept that some people have football team supporting deficiencies.  Would he love to play for them as a supporter or for family reasons, sure.  Will he improve his wages, sure.  Will he improve his chances of playing in Europe, sure.  Will he realistically get more Scotland caps playing for them, sure. 

But he'll also put himself firmly in the public observation deck that is the Old Firm, massively increasing the scrutiny on himself in every aspect of his life, never getting away from the added attention that players get at those clubs, the online vitriol thrown in their directions by the absolute zoomers that base their entire lives around both clubs, and all of that will extend to his family as well.  Their entire lifestyle will have to change.  Souttar could probably pop into the Tesco at the bottom of Leith Walk, no bother.  He might get a few snippy comments or looks, but ultimately he'd be left to just get on with it.  That just wouldn't be the same in Glasgow.

I'm also pretty sure he won't ever get a fantastic welcome at Tynecastle if he leaves midway through the season to sign for a club that's fighting the same fight as we are.

53 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Oh, I thought all bets were off. Then I remembered where I was posting.

I dunno. If we get third (or whisper it, 2nd) the potential euro cash could be enormous for a club our size. By denying Celtic the chance to strengthen in January and keeping the lad we would be tilting the table our way.

selling in Jan for a mars bar and a packet of wotsits just doesn’t make sense to me

We don’t particularly need the cash, as evidenced by our recent accounts. I think we should refuse any sale (unless we have a ready made replacement, which is unlikely) and let him walk away in the summer.

He might still include a sell on clause in any contract that he does eventually agree, as several players have done over the years after leaving for free.

If he signs a pc for either arse cheek he should be told he won't play again for us this season. If that spoils his Scotland chances too feckin bad. 

We must do what's right for us. Only play commited players.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

If he signs a pc for either arse cheek he should be told he won't play again for us this season. If that spoils his Scotland chances too feckin bad. 

This as well. 

Is he signs for them he needs to **** off in January. 

If he signs a pre contract with either them it will all turn sour, quickly. 

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

What an objective grown up realistic attitude to have...

🙃

Bizarre logic in this story from The Sun.  Claims that we are aware of the difference he could make to our prize money at the end of the season, but then goes on to say we would accept a derisory £500k for him... despite 9 clubs being interested!!

John Souttar 'eyed by Rangers and NINE English clubs' as Hearts' January price tag revealed (thescottishsun.co.uk)

NO fewer than NINE Championship clubs are interested in the signature of new Scotland goal hero John Souttar, it has been claimed.

The Hearts centre half, who completed his fairytale recovery from THREE Achilles tendon injuries with a priceless goal against Denmark on Monday night, is out of contract next summer.

We told you how Stoke City, who also have John's younger brother Harry, were set to step up their interest in the star.

And now the Daily Mail lists Blackburn Rovers and Middlesbrough as other potential Championship suitors for the player.

He's also thought to be on a list of potential signing targets for the Gers, who have yet to tie down first-choice central defenders Connor Goldson or Leon Balogun beyond the summer.

Hearts would love to tie him down to a longer deal but - aware of how crucial he could be in generating prize money for next season - it is claimed they could let him go for a fee in the region of £500,000 in January.

Two clubs in the MLS, where his former Dundee United academy pals Johnny Russell and Ryan Gauld have been huge successes, could also be an option.

Clarke insisted in midweek he was made up by the sudden success of the luckless defender who is making good on his long-held potential.

He said: "John Souttar was the story of the night. I'm so happy for him.

"I gave him a big hug when he came off and I could have cried.

"Two years fighting back from the kind of injuries John had?

"To come back in the squad, he was made up.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

🙃

Tbf, although I disagree with the way he's put it, the sentiment is correct. 

**** objectivity, especially if he signs for rangers or Celtic on a pre contract. 

I'll understand why he's done it but from a Hearts point if view he'd be better ****ing off in January. 

Why would a Hearts fan remain objective, we want the best for Hearts, not Souttar. 

If there are nine teams bidding for him they will not want to wait until the Summer, especially those EPL teams close to the relegation zone.

I reckon the bidding will start at £1.5 million for clubs with money to burn.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

If there are nine teams bidding for him they will not want to wait until the Summer, especially those EPL teams close to the relegation zone.

Yeah, that could be the only good thing for us. 

We might still get a decent fee. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yeah, that could be the only good thing for us. 

We might still get a decent fee. 

There are 16 teams in England within two defeats of the relegation zone or actually in it, including Spurs and Newcastle. It's inconceivable that they're not aware of his situation. 

10 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The key thing is we don’t need to sell and there is competition for his signature.  This means the fact that he only has 6 months left on his contract is less important than would sometimes be the case.

Everything is potentially with the Sun. Potentially Rangers, potentially Blackburn and Middlesboro. Stoke get a mention for obvious reasons, MLS cos some Scottish players have gone before. They've covered the lot. Except Celtic.

58 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbf, although I disagree with the way he's put it, the sentiment is correct. 

**** objectivity, especially if he signs for rangers or Celtic on a pre contract. 

I'll understand why he's done it but from a Hearts point if view he'd be better ****ing off in January. 

Why would a Hearts fan remain objective, we want the best for Hearts, not Souttar. 

I will give you the Tic or Sevco bit right enough, but I think he has a bit more about him than to take the lazy way forward....

It's just about being calm and reasonable tbh, he is very unlikely to have a career in the future that doesn't involve injuries of note following him IMHO....on that basis I'm quite calm about his situation...

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

I will give you the Tic or Sevco bit right enough, but I think he has a bit more about him than to take the lazy way forward....

It's just about being calm and reasonable tbh, he is very unlikely to have a career in the future that doesn't involve injuries of note following him IMHO....on that basis I'm quite calm about his situation...

Perfectly calm, but if he's not signing an extension imo it's best he leaves in January. 

Don't want him hanging about until June waiting on his dream move. 

Totally understand why he's moving but just get on with it. 

We can then move on. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

5 hours ago, XB52 said:

It's a tough one for the club. Take £1 million (max) in January, assuming it's offered, or keep him till the end of the season in the hope of getting European football and the money that comes with that. 

You only get the decent prize money by actually qualifying. He'll be gone in the summer either way, so tbh I'd rather take the £1m now. 

Hopefully we get a decent fee and a sell on fee. See that 9 clubs are apparently interested so assuming most are genuinely wanting him then their best chance of getting him is to give us money now. 

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

🙃

We are football fans. 

We are not meant to have realistic grown up attitudes when it comes to our club. 😏

As for Soapy he doesn't seem the type to let us down. 

I think he will see out his contract to try and concentrate on his Scotland place. 

If he stays fit and helps Scotland to qualify for the World Cup the world will be his oyster. 

We get a top class player to help in our push for Europe and he gets a big move. 

Everybody then happy. 

2 hours ago, stuart500 said:

This

6 hours ago, XB52 said:

Do you mean that if someone offers £2million we should say nah, £1millions enough.

Resigned to Souttar leaving in January. Could also handle it if he signed a pre contract for an English side as I believe he would give his all for us until the end of the season.

However,  if he signs a pre contract for either of the uglies he should not feature for Hearts thereafter.

Fxxx the SPFL

I would have thought Hearts would have congratulated both Soapy and Craig on their Scotland achievements nothing on the website 

11 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I would have thought Hearts would have congratulated both Soapy and Craig on their Scotland achievements nothing on the website 

Was thinking about this the morning and while I had been of the mind that Hearts should take a best offer in January, depending on our table position Souttar could make a huge impact on our end of year earnings.

Obviously if he's desperate to go in January you shouldn't stand in his way. But even if he signs a pre, if the fee offers aren't enormous and he's not desperate to go, maybe keeping him is best for Hearts. If we're in second come January or some such, there's a good case to be made we should just keep him until his contract is up.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Was thinking about this the morning and while I had been of the mind that Hearts should take a best offer in January, depending on our table position Souttar could make a huge impact on our end of year earnings.

Obviously if he's desperate to go in January you shouldn't stand in his way. But even if he signs a pre, if the fee offers aren't enormous and he's not desperate to go, maybe keeping him is best for Hearts. If we're in second come January or some such, there's a good case to be made we should just keep him until his contract is up.

If he is desperate to go in January and we get offered a shitty price, damn right we should stand in his way.

For the sake of 6 month? We’re hardly completely pissing on his chips FFS

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The way I'm looking at it is, just imagine we didn't have John Soutter atm. 

In that scenario we are short of a quality defender. 

So we are then offered John Soutter on loan in January. 

Of course we would take him. 

That's my answer to those that think we should offload because he hasn't extended. 

If we allow him to leave in January we would need to find a replacement which wouldn't be cheap and possibly eat up any fee we did get for John. 

Now it appears there are a lot of suitors (no pun). 
We might now have a bit of leverage in a deal. 
On one hand we want to keep him for potential push to highest place in League. Goals is the main thing we need. He’s contributing where most defenders don’t. 
on the other hand, he walks for free in Summer. 
What if we look for £1m plus sell-on (30%) and a loan back til end of Season. 
first taker gets him?  (He has to agree obviously). 

8 minutes ago, Sid said:

Now it appears there are a lot of suitors (no pun). 
We might now have a bit of leverage in a deal. 
On one hand we want to keep him for potential push to highest place in League. Goals is the main thing we need. He’s contributing where most defenders don’t. 
on the other hand, he walks for free in Summer. 
What if we look for £1m plus sell-on (30%) and a loan back til end of Season. 
first taker gets him?  (He has to agree obviously). 

Why would someone buy him in Jan and loan him back for the rest of the season? They'd be better just signing him on a pre contract and getting him for nothing if they're willing to wait until the end of the season to get him.