** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

36 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

But as part of any extension we bring that wage  down as he'll be squad player. 

We'll need at least 5 or 6 decent players on top of our first 18 that are happy to play a smaller amount of games over a season. 

Usually that would be young players but we don't have that yet so guys, like Haliday may have their use for another season or two until we get to a level where decent players at happy to sit out and wait thier time or youth is at a sufficient quality to fill that gap. 

I don't see the rush to reduce squad numbers so readily, we could be in European group stages next season and trying to close the gap on 2nd. 

Given Hearts stature, it's hard to find decent players that are happy to fill in and do a good job when required. 

If he goes, he frees up a wage, if he stays he'll likely need to accept he's a squad player and have a wage in line with that. 

Basically, I think for him if our squad wage is around the same as a livi type first team wage he stays, if not he'll leave for a club of their ilk. 

I’m certainly not looking to reduce the squad, particularly if we are in a group stage of any kind. But I’m certainly looking to replace. If we get to Europe and look to be playing group games, we’ll need quality, and Halliday isn’t it. If we do qualify for Europe we’ll be in a stronger position not just for first team recruitment, but also buying young players with the potential to improve as you talk about us currently not having.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

Not heard much chat about a backup goalkeeper either… I know we have have Stewart, but I’d feel happier with someone better. Losing Sir CG to injury would be huge, maybe even as important as a striker. 

54 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Eh ?  Halliday brings what ? 

Slow,  can't beat the 1st man when attempting to cross into the box, always likely to get carded    

Haring , not getting the love love love.. he makes maybe one telling pass per game, one decent challenge. Also likely to get carded and slow.

Ship them and GMS 

He brings cover for multiple positions, as clearly stated above! Obviously not as good as the first pick in those positions but a good option in a squad.

Think about why he gets booked so often ...

The benefit for us if we get another Robbie away cup performance today is we will quickly announce a couple is signings to make people forget about it.

Hope that's not the case, but a real possibility.

2 minutes ago, Australis said:

The benefit for us if we get another Robbie away cup performance today is we will quickly announce a couple is signings to make people forget about it.

Hope that's not the case, but a real possibility.

🤣 … not be the case today mate. In fact, I think we’ll have our strongest available 11 and win 5-0. He’ll not be taking any chances!

19 minutes ago, Hearts of Vladland said:

If Halliday gets a contract extension and Haring is let go then I’m seriously worried at what the management team are actually looking for in players.

Agree 100% and I am sure so do at least 75% of fans who attend matches.If we make European group stages we need to up the squad size and that may open up a space for Halliday.Otherwise he should be released.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
14 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Not heard much chat about a backup goalkeeper either… I know we have have Stewart, but I’d feel happier with someone better. Losing Sir CG to injury would be huge, maybe even as important as a striker. 

I guess the issue is no semi-decent keeper worth their salt will want to come in as backup. Fact is as long as CG is fit they won't play. Even if CG does pick up a niggle and t'other keeper has a worldie, CG will come back in.

Edited by Special Agent Dale Cooper

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

As in, you've been given a name but not allowed to share, or just been told the same as you've posted here? Interesting anyway🙏

I am never in the know when it comes to Hearts, but been told we will defo get something special by the end of the window. Hopefully we will all be happy with it (not been given a name btw)

11 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I really don’t see the contempt for Andy Halliday. The guy does a job for us, as a fringe player. I can’t remember him letting us down. The Aberdeen sending off was harsh when compared to what others have got away with against us.

Every player in our squad isn’t going to be a star that we can sell for millions of £s. We don’t yet have that stature.

His open love for Rangers shouldn’t be a problem unless it affects his performance. Plenty great players haven’t hidden their love for their boyhood team but still played well for their club. All of our players can’t be Hearts fans.

Some said similar about Craig Gordon when I suggested him a few seasons ago and look how that’s turned out

AllyjamboDerbyshire
20 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I am never in the know when it comes to Hearts, but been told we will defo get something special by the end of the window. Hopefully we will all be happy with it (not been given a name btw)

Thanks for the info, Chester👍

PhoenixHearts
20 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Some said similar about Craig Gordon when I suggested him a few seasons ago and look how that’s turned out

Can we maybe not compare Andy Halliday to Craig Gordon?

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m certainly not looking to reduce the squad, particularly if we are in a group stage of any kind. But I’m certainly looking to replace. If we get to Europe and look to be playing group games, we’ll need quality, and Halliday isn’t it. If we do qualify for Europe we’ll be in a stronger position not just for first team recruitment, but also buying young players with the potential to improve as you talk about us currently not having.

I don't think he's bad, I think he's decent and perfect to be squad a player. 

Hearts will never ever have 22-24 players all of first team quality imo. 

Financial and players being unhappy will see to that. 

Next season, we'll need a very strong 18, with another 4-6 Being  good enough to slot in, but not that good they are on high wages or get unhappy about not playing or even being in the  matchday squad. 

Haliday maybe fits  that bill imo and brings a lot more in general  as he's a influence of the field I believe. 

We just aren't good enough or financially well off to have 22-24 players all trying to fit in 11 starting places. 

A touch of realism is required in terms of what fans want and what Hearts can do given their status in the global game. 

The reality is, he'll Likley move for first team football. This highlights the massive gap in fans ambitions and reality. 

Guys of his quality and the likes of Gnando and Walker won't even hang about as squad players and the fans want good, young ambitious players to fill out a 22-24 man squad. 

It's not happening. 

We can and are filling out the 18 man match day squad will better young players but the reality is we'll need another 4-6 players that are affordable, can fill in and are happy to do just that. 

Tbh, I'm not even sure Halliday will won't that yet. 

McEneff is another one that might leave due to not playing first team football. 

There's not a huge queue of good players wanting or happy to be a, squad filler. At Hearts, and players that are good, ambitious and want to play will move to to do just that. 

We also don't have enough youth next season to fill this gap, which ideally at least 2/3 of would be able to do. 

Bob will have it covered but its a balancing act between a strong first team, Good sub options and beyond that decent options to fill in when required. 

On top of that you need to keep players happy. 

Anyway if he goes, hopefully we get better in, if he stays hes more than capable of influencing the team and doing a good job. 

16 hours ago, bringonthesevco said:

This is the GMS that our 2nd top goalscorer and has the most amount of assists in the team ?

That GMS ??

Yes that's the one. You can make stats look good. How many galring chances has he missed? do you have the stats for that. How many times has he fallen over after having been barely touched? How many tackles has he bottled? Do you have those stats.😍

Haring must be getting an extension, I'd argue he's been out beat midfielder this season, ahead of both Beni and Devlin (both who I rate highly also).

44 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

I guess the issue is no semi-decent keeper worth their salt will want to come in as backup. Fact is as long as CG is fit they won't play. Even if CG does pick up a niggle and t'other keeper has a worldie, CG will come back in.

Aye, not an easy one…. RN spoke about it in the last window… just haven’t heard a murmur since. 

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think Haring and Halliday should be both be given a year or two extension. Both versatile players offering cover for multiple positions. If Halliday wasn't such a rabid Hun it would be easier for folk to see what he brings to the team. Very seldom let us down and we have a very good win rate with him in the team.

Haring is one of our best performers Halliday is not. If we had to let one go, it seems a no brainer to me.

French 3rd tier with Damour…. Didn’t realise Le Mans we’re that bad. Some stadium to be that low down the French ranks.

I’d also love to see Haring get an extension. Been a great signing. 

20 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I don't think he's bad, I think he's decent and perfect to be squad a player. 

Hearts will never ever have 22-24 players all of first team quality imo. 

Financial and players being unhappy will see to that. 

Next season, we'll need a very strong 18, with another 4-6 Being  good enough to slot in, but not that good they are on high wages or get unhappy about not playing or even being in the  matchday squad. 

Haliday maybe fits  that bill imo and brings a lot more in general  as he's a influence of the field I believe. 

We just aren't good enough or financially well off to have 22-24 players all trying to fit in 11 starting places. 

A touch of realism is required in terms of what fans want and what Hearts can do given their status in the global game. 

The reality is, he'll Likley move for first team football. This highlights the massive gap in fans ambitions and reality. 

Guys of his quality and the likes of Gnando and Walker won't even hang about as squad players and the fans want good, young ambitious players to fill out a 22-24 man squad. 

It's not happening. 

We can and are filling out the 18 man match day squad will better young players but the reality is we'll need another 4-6 players that are affordable, can fill in and are happy to do just that. 

Tbh, I'm not even sure Halliday will won't that yet. 

McEneff is another one that might leave due to not playing first team football. 

There's not a huge queue of good players wanting or happy to be a, squad filler. At Hearts, and players that are good, ambitious and want to play will move to to do just that. 

We also don't have enough youth next season to fill this gap, which ideally at least 2/3 of would be able to do. 

Bob will have it covered but its a balancing act between a strong first team, Good sub options and beyond that decent options to fill in when required. 

On top of that you need to keep players happy. 

Anyway if he goes, hopefully we get better in, if he stays hes more than capable of influencing the team and doing a good job. 

Please don’t take my short reply as an insult to your long thoughtful post, as it is not intended as such. But where we differ here is you think Halliday is a good squad player, I don’t think he’s even that. I’m happy if he doesn’t even make the bench to be honest.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Please don’t take my short reply as an insult to your long thoughtful post, as it is not intended as such. But where we differ here is you think Halliday is a good squad player, I don’t think he’s even that. I’m happy if he doesn’t even make the bench to be honest.

RN said in the podcast the other day that we have been looking at LWB's for the summer. Hopefully we can keep Cochrane and add another, I reckon Joel King is on our radar given our interest in the A-League.

10 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Haring is one of our best performers Halliday is not. If we had to let one go, it seems a no brainer to me.

Yeah I'd definitely keep Haring over Halliday but I would ideally keep both.

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

RN said in the podcast the other day that we have been looking at LWB's for the summer. Hopefully we can keep Cochrane and add another, I reckon Joel King is on our radar given our interest in the A-League.

You have to be joelking! Ahem…

Tynecastle Valhalla

If as reported Halliday is on £3500 a week then if we

offer him an extension it should be on reduced terms 

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You have to be joelking! Ahem…

:lol:

2 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

Nae chance. 

If we were to sign Cochrane and Moore permanently then we're probably fine defence wise for next season. Smith and Haring can provide cover. Means we can focus on a couple of quality forward players. 

1 hour ago, Hearts of Vladland said:

If Halliday gets a contract extension and Haring is let go then I’m seriously worried at what the management team are actually looking for in players.

Surely that should be the other way round , although not wholly convinced that Haring is the answer either 

Be interesting to see what piddling amount the Zombies first bid is to get Souttar now.

Tennant's  6's
8 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

He was signed just after we were consigned to the championship and no other teams that could match that came in fir him. 

No way is he on as much as thar. That would be a scandalous wage fir a mediocre player like him..

Ex member of the SaS

Glad to see Gnando leave as he has been a waste of space. Any player give a chance to show he's worth playing would play out of their skin at the first chance they get yet he did nothing of note whenever he played.

Use the cash to get a decent striker ( much needed and soon ) 

As for Halliday he too can go asap.

4 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Be interesting to see what piddling amount the Zombies first bid is to get Souttar now.

It’s a stick on to be ‘undisclosed’ you’ll need to wait till the accounts come out to try and work out how much it was

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

No problem. 

It will be interesting either way  how the squad shapes up going forward. 

9 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Reported as around 300k

If Souttar is genuinely injured and it's bad, I can see him going in the summer for nothing. If it's just a bluff to cover the contract negotiations, I hope we don't back down and get what we're due. 

Would love to see us play him for a single minute to cup tie him though.

43 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes that's the one. You can make stats look good. How many galring chances has he missed? do you have the stats for that. How many times has he fallen over after having been barely touched? How many tackles has he bottled? Do you have those stats.😍

A good point well made.

12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Reported as around 300k

Can see it being settled at 400k plus appearance add ons and percentage sell on

Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Haring, Boyce, Atkinson, Devlin, Halliday, Cochrane, McKay, Halkett.

Subs: Stewart, Baningime, McEneff, Mackay-Steven, Ginnelly, Pollock.

Gordon,

Smith  Halkett Kingsley      

Atkinson Haring Devlin Halliday Cochrane 

Boyce  McKay.

Doesn't look like our strongest available starting line-up to me but gives us plenty of serious attacking options off the bench.

Halliday is just the sort of street fighting man to have in the midfield for a game against Talbot.

52 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Aye, not an easy one…. RN spoke about it in the last window… just haven’t heard a murmur since. 

I think we might be able to pick up an older Keeper like Jamie MacDonald who may be content to play back up. Especially if they're given a run out in the cups for example. 

Stewart is miles off what we need though, even as a 2nd choice. I don't think he'd play for most Championship sides, and thats a league below.. 

Someone like Jamie MacDonald or Owain Fôn Williams I think would offer a steady safe pair of hands that could step in when called upon, both tried and tested at this level. At the end of the day, you want inexpensive competence. Nothing spectacular because as pointed out no one worth their salts is going to sign to be 2nd choice and with Gordon Scotlands number 1, you're not usurping that as a young goalkeeper IMO.  Could even have a look at bringing back Mark Ridgers who seems to be solid enough for ICT. 

I don't think Stewart who was Livi's 3rd choice has the ability or experience to step in for Gordon if required. I think we'd be exposing ourselves big time, a bit like with Jack Hamilton. We'd be far better served to go out and find someone in their mid 30s who has been around the block and can come in and do a job if needed and little else. 

13 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Haring, Boyce, Atkinson, Devlin, Halliday, Cochrane, McKay, Halkett.

Subs: Stewart, Baningime, McEneff, Mackay-Steven, Ginnelly, Pollock.

Gordon,

Smith  Halkett Kingsley      

Atkinson Haring Devlin Halliday Cochrane 

Boyce  McKay.

Doesn't look like our strongest available starting line-up to me but gives us plenty of serious attacking options off the bench.

Halliday is just the sort of street fighting man to have in the midfield for a game against Talbot.

So long as he doesn't get a red card.

15 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think we might be able to pick up an older Keeper like Jamie MacDonald who may be content to play back up. Especially if they're given a run out in the cups for example. 

Stewart is miles off what we need though, even as a 2nd choice. I don't think he'd play for most Championship sides, and thats a league below.. 

Someone like Jamie MacDonald or Owain Fôn Williams I think would offer a steady safe pair of hands that could step in when called upon, both tried and tested at this level. At the end of the day, you want inexpensive competence. Nothing spectacular because as pointed out no one worth their salts is going to sign to be 2nd choice and with Gordon Scotlands number 1, you're not usurping that as a young goalkeeper IMO.  Could even have a look at bringing back Mark Ridgers who seems to be solid enough for ICT. 

I don't think Stewart who was Livi's 3rd choice has the ability or experience to step in for Gordon if required. I think we'd be exposing ourselves big time, a bit like with Jack Hamilton. We'd be far better served to go out and find someone in their mid 30s who has been around the block and can come in and do a job if needed and little else. 

All fair. When/if we do get a keeper, I agree, it’ll be someone experience in his latter (playing) years. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Ye have little faith. 

👍😉

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ye have little faith. 

👍😉

It’s Talbot. I’ll give him credit and say that he’s pretty good for their level.

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s Talbot. I’ll give him credit and say that he’s pretty good for their level.

Squad game. 

Not everyone can be a superstar in a squad. 

Folk contribute In Different ways, this time he scored. 

3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Losing Gordon would easily be the worst thing that could happen to us. We’d go from having the best keeper in the league to the one with the worst. 

3 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Losing Gordon would easily be the worst thing that could happen to us. We’d go from having the best keeper in the league to the one with the worst. 

Recall Harry Stone. 

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Squad game. 

Not everyone can be a superstar in a squad. 

Folk contribute In Different ways, this time he scored. 

I’ll give him credit for doing a job today, no question. But when we’re looking at a squad to compete in the Premiership and potentially the Europa League then I’d want a higher calibre of squad. If we do get into Europe we don’t play the League Cup group stages, so Halliday isn’t required for such games unless we play lower league opposition in the latter stages of the League Cup or like we’re doing today against Talbot.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal