** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As I said on the previous page, I give not one jot what team our players support or who they played for, as long as they play professionally for us and - importantly - to a quality standard. Halliday doesn’t have the quality. And for me, he gets a lot more defence for his level of ‘quality’ than he should. Especially in comparison to some of the abuse and ridicule other players have received despite playing as good or even better than him.

Best player on the park today ...

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

Absolute Scenes

Think it’s pretty obvious Halliday is happy being a bit part player, and pretty obvious he can be utilised well. Not many players of his calibre would be happy to stay on the bench and play a bit part here and there. If we got rid of him we would struggle to replace him with someone as good as him who is happy being a sub most games

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’ll give him credit for doing a job today, no question. But when we’re looking at a squad to compete in the Premiership and potentially the Europa League then I’d want a higher calibre of squad. If we do get into Europe we don’t play the League Cup group stages, so Halliday isn’t required for such games unless we play lower league opposition in the latter stages of the League Cup or like we’re doing today against Talbot.

Disagree and unrealistic for a team like Hearts atm. 

If we have squad players of Halidays quality we are doing something right. 

The reality is if we offer him a wage cut and to be a bit part player he'll likely leave himself as he'll want first team football And that will  highlight the reality of our situation and the quality of squad we can afford and keep happy v fans ambitions. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Think it’s pretty obvious Halliday is happy being a bit part player, and pretty obvious he can be utilised well. Not many players of his calibre would be happy to stay on the bench and play a bit part here and there. If we got rid of him we would struggle to replace him with someone as good as him who is happy being a sub most games

Yip. 

Obvious to me. 

He might think different tho if any new contract is on less tems. 

Ambition v reality has to meet somewhere with fans ambitions. 

Nowt wrong with Halliday. Versatile squad player and does a job. Worth hanging onto. Folk don't like him because he's openly a Rangers man. All the guys on the pitch support a team that isn't Hearts but they're all good pros. 

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Disagree and unrealistic for a team like Hearts atm. 

If we have squad players of Halidays quality we are doing something right. 

The reality is if we offer him a wage cut and to be a bit part player he'll likely leave himself as he'll want first team football And that will  highlight the reality of our situation and the quality of squad we can afford and keep happy v fans ambitions. 

Hundred percent. To have guys like him in the squad shows we have depth we haven’t enjoyed in a long time. I think he’s scored more than uche scored for us, but correct me if I’m wrong

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Best player on the park today ...

I’m giving him credit for today. But against a non League team like Talbot where the team has 72% possession I would hope that every player is playing well. He’s played well today, I have nothing against the guy, but let’s not see today as a victory for those who think he’s good enough. If he plays consistently in the Premiership and importantly consistently well, let’s talk then.

6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m giving him credit for today. But against a non League team like Talbot where the team has 72% possession I would hope that every player is playing well. He’s played well today, I have nothing against the guy, but let’s not see today as a victory for those who think he’s good enough. If he plays consistently in the Premiership and importantly consistently well, let’s talk then.

He has had good games in the SPL this season.

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He has had good games in the SPL this season.

Again, I’m not saying he’s terrible or anything, and he has had a couple of good games yes, as I’m sure he would at the likes of Livingston or Ross County if he was there. I just think we could, and should, do better than him in our squad.

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Again, I’m not saying he’s terrible or anything, and he has had a couple of good games yes, as I’m sure he would at the likes of Livingston or Ross County if he was there. I just think we could, and should, do better than him in our squad.

But it’s clear that he isn’t being used as a starting player, and he is clearly happy at being a bit part player. It’s a compliment to hearts overall that we have guys with his calibre on the bench. Unless there are injuries, he won’t be a starter much at all. He’s good foil for someone like Cochrane who struggles with the physicality sometimes

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

We probably could do better, I wouldn't argue we couldn't.

As said earlier, he's probably cheap, experienced, trusted, reliable and he can play 3-4 positions. He's never first XI material in games v the OF, Hibs, Aberdeen etc..but a handy guy to have in a squad of 22-23. First 3 games this season he was good. He's a competent pro.

Also a good character. If you've ever been part of a team in any sport or at work, having good lads is important, even if they're just decent and not the best. I can certainly testify to that from my own experiences. The make up of the group is very important to success and that makes a good team. 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I think we might be able to pick up an older Keeper like Jamie MacDonald who may be content to play back up. Especially if they're given a run out in the cups for example. 

Stewart is miles off what we need though, even as a 2nd choice. I don't think he'd play for most Championship sides, and thats a league below.. 

Someone like Jamie MacDonald or Owain Fôn Williams I think would offer a steady safe pair of hands that could step in when called upon, both tried and tested at this level. At the end of the day, you want inexpensive competence. Nothing spectacular because as pointed out no one worth their salts is going to sign to be 2nd choice and with Gordon Scotlands number 1, you're not usurping that as a young goalkeeper IMO.  Could even have a look at bringing back Mark Ridgers who seems to be solid enough for ICT. 

I don't think Stewart who was Livi's 3rd choice has the ability or experience to step in for Gordon if required. I think we'd be exposing ourselves big time, a bit like with Jack Hamilton. We'd be far better served to go out and find someone in their mid 30s who has been around the block and can come in and do a job if needed and little else. 

The Rangers are hoping to get Soapy this window and we need a 2nd goalie.

I doubt if TRFC are willing to pay our suggested £5k for JS but may be amenable to release either Jon McLaughlin or Robbie McCrorie (even on loan) so maybe we can take one of these and accept cash of say £4k - £4.5k.

Edited by JamboAl

25 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

But it’s clear that he isn’t being used as a starting player, and he is clearly happy at being a bit part player. It’s a compliment to hearts overall that we have guys with his calibre on the bench. Unless there are injuries, he won’t be a starter much at all. He’s good foil for someone like Cochrane who struggles with the physicality sometimes

I know it’s very important to have players that are okay to be bit part. They’re a rare find. But he’s not going to increase his quality the longer the time goes on.

18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We probably could do better, I wouldn't argue we couldn't.

As said earlier, he's probably cheap, experienced, trusted, reliable and he can play 3-4 positions. He's never first XI material in games v the OF, Hibs, Aberdeen etc..but a handy guy to have in a squad of 22-23. First 3 games this season he was good. He's a competent pro.

Also a good character. If you've ever been part of a team in any sport or at work, having good lads is important, even if they're just decent and not the best. I can certainly testify to that from my own experiences. The make up of the group is very important to success and that makes a good team. 

Undoubtedly good characters are needed in any working environment, but we don’t have a team of robots. We have Devlin and Atkinson who get on well, Baningime has a bit of cheek about him, Boyce and Smith give it that vibe on social media too. And you’ve got someone like McCulloch on the staff who basically sounds like the same person as Halliday.

For me it’s about value for money. For how little he’d play (or at least should play) I’m not sure he’s worth what we are currently paying him. I’m not sure he’s the type to take reduced terms either.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The Rangers are hoping to get Soapy this window and we need a 2nd goalie.

I doubt if TRFC are willing to pay our suggested £5k for JS but may be amenable to release either Jon McLaughlin or Robbie McCrorie (even on loan) so maybe we can take one of these and accept cash of say £4k - £4.5k.

Take it you mean £500k:thumbsup:

Robbie's idea of a bid has gone from crazy to substantial so looks like we are beginning to lower expectations

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Right let's talk then....

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Right let's talk then....

He hasn’t performed consistently in the Premiership or consistently well though. Unless you’re talking about a time before he was with us?

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He hasn’t performed consistently in the Premiership or consistently well though. Unless you’re talking about a time before he was with us?

In your opinion that is. He's been solid and dependable whenever called about from my perspective. I think the club will see things very differently to you and offer him a year or two extension....

LarrysRightFoot

From Robbie’s post match comments it’s sounds like we are talking to or at least identified a couple of targets.

I wonder if any of the names that have banded about on here end up being accurate.

Regardless if they are or not we shouldn’t have too much longer to wait.   

15 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

In your opinion that is. He's been solid and dependable whenever called about from my perspective. I think the club will see things very differently to you and offer him a year or two extension....

Well yes, performance is down to opinion. To a degree. But this forum is full of different opinions as we have seen in this thread and others. I suspect this management team will want to offer their mate a contract, of that I am sure. I, personally (and in my opinion) think that any money that we’d spend on him can be better spent elsewhere - such as giving Haring more money to extend, or McKay to extend for example. Then when the recruitment team try and improve the team in the summer (as we should always be looking to improve) then we have current first team players like Smith or Haring or Devlin or Ginnelly be the players that have to fight for their place. Or maybe we spend the money on Cochrane signing permanently and he can be the utility player that at his age will know he won’t necessarily play every week.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

The January transfer window is notorious for teams signing dross as Hibs seem to be confirming. 

We look ro have signed one gem so far that might have to be enough unless we identify another and I'm happy enough with that .We are in decent shape so can afford to waith for the right players in the Summer. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, ramrod said:

The January transfer window is notorious for teams signing dross as Hibs seem to be confirming. 

We look ro have signed one gem so far that might have to be enough unless we identify another and I'm happy enough with that .We are in decent shape so can afford to waith for the right players in the Summer. 

You only need to look at Cathro’s Jan window.

better players moved out and replaced with shite.

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Well yes, performance is down to opinion. To a degree. But this forum is full of different opinions as we have seen in this thread and others. I suspect this management team will want to offer their mate a contract, of that I am sure. I, personally (and in my opinion) think that any money that we’d spend on him can be better spent elsewhere - such as giving Haring more money to extend, or McKay to extend for example. Then when the recruitment team try and improve the team in the summer (as we should always be looking to improve) then we have current first team players like Smith or Haring or Devlin or Ginnelly be the players that have to fight for their place. Or maybe we spend the money on Cochrane signing permanently and he can be the utility player that at his age will know he won’t necessarily play every week.

This management team have shown themselves to be ruthless when getting rid of players. That 'mate' comment is a mile out and undermines whatever point you may have had.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He's the Roddy MacDonald or Colin McAdam of previous years. Experienced back-up.

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This management team have shown themselves to be ruthless when getting rid of players. That 'mate' comment is a mile out and undermines whatever point you may have had.

If you think that Halliday does not have a friendlier relationship with the management team than the average player does you’re either naive or in denial. My points stand, but you’re free to dismiss them if you do wish.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

If you think that Halliday does not have a friendlier relationship with the management team than the average player does you’re either naive or in denial. My points stand, but you’re free to dismiss them if you do wish.

Who cares?

Is he costing us games? Points? Goals?

Every club has senior players (“leaders”) who are closer to the coaching set up than other players.

Essential part of a functioning squad in football.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Recall Harry Stone. 

Harry stone might be a very good keeper one day but I’m not sure I’d want him as our number 1 just now 

Edited by Russ1977

So did Berra. Friendship was irrelevant, he was emptied ...

Guest ToqueJambo

That's nothing new. Senior players often help managers in the dressing room. No idea if that's the case with Halliday mind you.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, bistokid said:

You'd also hope Pollock and to some extent McEneff get more chances in CM. I hope we get a new LWB who is more offensive than our current options.

Definitely 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You're off on one now. 

And imo a togetherness and friendliness within the team isn't a bad thing. 

If Haliday can come in now and then and do a job and help newer and younger players on the park then that's a good thing. 

If he helps players come and join us ( McKay) then that is also good. 

Football is far more than what you see on the Park. 

Senior players take on different roles. 

If the mgt team decide they want to keep him it's because he benefits the squad, not because he's mates with Robbie or the mgt team. 

To suggest that is poor and hints at another agenda. 

Anyway, you don't like him. 

I think he can add to the squad, but will likely leave for first team football. 

Time will tell, but he's a Hearts player until the summer so I don't see a need to slag him or suggest if he stays it's only because he's mates with the mgt team. 

Strange thing to twist round Tbh. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Who cares?

Is he costing us games? Points? Goals?

Every club has senior players (“leaders”) who are closer to the coaching set up than other players.

Essential part of a functioning squad in football.

Well many will argue he cost us the Aberdeen game with his sending off. Gnanduillet never cost any points Or goals technically, but that doesn’t stop people slagging him off. Incidentally, which is not something I’m doing with Halliday, I’m simply stating the club could and should be aiming higher in terms of quality. I don’t know why thinking Halliday just isn’t very good is an opinion that gets so many people’s backs up.

57 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I know it’s very important to have players that are okay to be bit part. They’re a rare find. But he’s not going to increase his quality the longer the time goes on.

Undoubtedly good characters are needed in any working environment, but we don’t have a team of robots. We have Devlin and Atkinson who get on well, Baningime has a bit of cheek about him, Boyce and Smith give it that vibe on social media too. And you’ve got someone like McCulloch on the staff who basically sounds like the same person as Halliday.

For me it’s about value for money. For how little he’d play (or at least should play) I’m not sure he’s worth what we are currently paying him. I’m not sure he’s the type to take reduced terms either.

He was signed whilst in the Championship at a time when finances were stretched due to covid. I very much doubt he is on £3,500 a week as posted on here if that is a consideration.  I don't know how much he earns but I suspect it is much less.

I think most of us agree that Halliday is a well liked, good team member who can play a multitude of positions on the left side of the pitch.

I do genuinely think the thing with Ferry & Kyle and the reporting of exerts from that show goes against him with some of our fans because it shows him as someone with a passion for his boyhood team. It perhaps bothered the more cynical side of me when he first arrived but he's since shown a willingness to work hard and put the boot in for us. I don't think we can question his commitment when he pulls on a Hearts top.

He is in my view a competent professional who has performed well at SPL level this season although, I'm sure even Andy agrees that he's not a starter in a top 3 SPL team and has had some shit games too. 

However, he seems willing to be a bit part player in the squad, as @Absolute Scenes suggested, how many good players would be willing to do that? 

It's going to be really difficult for us to find someone willing to do that at our level, who is likely to be on a squad player wage.

I think success is built around consistency and to be consistent we will continue to play 3-4-3 with much the same XI barring injuries, suspensions and loss of form. 

I agree, there's better players out there that we could attract to Hearts but would most likely not be content with a sub appearance here and the odd start there.

I think for what he brings he probably is value for money and a reliable squad player to hang onto for another year. 

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You're off on one now. 

And imo a togetherness and friendliness within the team isn't a bad thing. 

If Haliday can come in now and then and do a job and help newer and younger players on the park then that's a good thing. 

If he helps players come and join us ( McKay) then that is also good. 

Football is far more than what you see on the Park. 

Senior players take on different roles. 

If the mgt team decide they want to keep him it's because he benefits the squad, not because he's mates with Robbie or the mgt team. 

To suggest that is poor and hints at another agenda. 

Anyway, you don't like him. 

I think he can add to the squad, but will likely leave for first team football. 

Time will tell, but he's a Hearts player until the summer so I don't see a need to slag him or suggest if he stays it's only because he's mates with the mgt team. 

Strange thing to twist round Tbh. 

I never said I don’t like him. In fact I’ve repeatedly stated I have nothing against the guy. I just don’t think he’s the level of professional footballer we should have at the club. I think we have a recruitment team that is planning years ahead in what they want to achieve and where the club should be at. I don’t think he’s good enough now, personally, so I don’t think he’s going to be good enough when we inevitably improve through the transfer window during the following windows. So I don’t see the point of extending his contract is all.

7 hours ago, bistokid said:

You'd also hope Pollock and to some extent McEneff get more chances in CM. I hope we get a new LWB who is more offensive than our current options.

Pollock instead of Baningime. You don't rate Devlin?

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Well many will argue he cost us the Aberdeen game with his sending off. Gnanduillet never cost any points Or goals technically, but that doesn’t stop people slagging him off. Incidentally, which is not something I’m doing with Halliday, I’m simply stating the club could and should be aiming higher in terms of quality. I don’t know why thinking Halliday just isn’t very good is an opinion that gets so many people’s backs up.

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I never said I don’t like him. In fact I’ve repeatedly stated I have nothing against the guy. I just don’t think he’s the level of professional footballer we should have at the club. I think we have a recruitment team that is planning years ahead in what they want to achieve and where the club should be at. I don’t think he’s good enough now, personally, so I don’t think he’s going to be good enough when we inevitably improve through the transfer window during the following windows. So I don’t see the point of extending his contract is all.

Fair  enough. 

I still think you're missing the point about the squad and having competent players to compliment the "main 18".

Hearts can't carry like for like replacements in every position. 

If we can improve them I hope we do, time will tell. 

I think he'll leave for first team football. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

19 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Harry stone might be a very good keeper one day but I’m not sure I’d want him as our number 1 just now 

Probably have him ahead of Stewart though.... 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That’s the issue for some of the fringe plaster, as long as it’s just two in central midfield it’ll be Beni, Devlin and Haring that fill those spots. Tough shit on Pollock and McEneff. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s the issue for some of the fringe plaster, as long as it’s just two in central midfield it’ll be Beni, Devlin and Haring that fill those spots. Tough shit on Pollock and McEneff. 

Long way to go. 

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Tough shit indeed if they're not good enough. I don't want young players being included just because they're young - they need to be good enough too. **** dropping Beni or Cammy play Pollock right now like. Absolutely no chance. 

Edited by Batistuta87

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Tough shit exactly, if they're not good enough. I don't want young players being included just because they're young - they need to be good enough too. **** dropping Beni or Cammy play Pollock right now like. Absolutely no chance. 

Exactly. Fully agree. 

22 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair  enough. 

I still think you're missing the point about the squad and having competent players to compliment the "main 18".

Hearts can't carry like for like replacements in every position. 

If we can improve them I hope we do, time will tell. 

I think he'll leave for first team football. 

No I do get it, have championed it on here many times. I just think if we sign Cochrane AND another LWB in the summer then the need for Halliday is obsolete. As we’ll have Cochrane as the utility man willing to miss a game or two here and there. And I think we already have players in other positions who are better than Halliday who are already bit part (McEneff in AM for example, and with two sitting players we have Haring, Devlin and Baningime where only two can start) so I just believe the inevitable improvements made in the next window or two will put him further down that pecking order, so any need for him is done.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

No I do get it, have championed it on here many times. I just think if we sign Cochrane AND another LWB in the summer then the need for Halliday is obsolete. As we’ll have Cochrane as the utility man willing to miss a game or two here and there. And I think we already have players in other positions who are better than Halliday who are already bit part (McEneff in AM for example, and with two sitting players we have Haring, Devlin and Baningime

where only two can start) so I just believe the inevitable improvements made in the next window or two will put him further down that pecking order, so any need for him is done.

If we sign another lwb then yes I'd agree. 

Not sure we'll do that tho. 

Time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If we sign another lwb then yes I'd agree. 

Not sure we'll do that tho. 

Time will tell. 

Indeed. But I think we will (other posters have intimated they expect it to happen or Neilson mentioned it, can’t remember) but of course fully depends on ifs and buts.

53 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I was taking in relation to Halliday contract running down (albeit he had a very good game today). The chat was in context of his versatility and I'd rather see these players given chances next season that Halliday renewed. Beni and Devlin are first choice with Haring a close 3rd.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal