• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

On 20/01/2022 at 08:02, CMc said:

The winter break has meant we could take our time. 

It is inevitable that much will be done towards the last week of the window. 

Convincing players to sign is like buying a house. If you go in with a massive offer and nobody else is interested, yes they might agree to come off the market early. If there’s loads of folk sniffing about and they are confident there will be multiple offers, of course the player and their agent are going to wait until they feel like they know they have the best offer on the table (or will be confident to take to a blind auction on deadline day). 

We want to stretch for a better quality of player. Those with no offers are likely shite. We don’t have the bank to massively outbid others interested in the quality we want. 

We need to trust our eye for a bargain and hold our nerve for the negotiations. 

It may be pish for us in the grandstands but we shouldn’t mistake our own impatience and need for developments in the news cycle for the club not going about their business the right way. 

Great post👍

21 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’s not the player he once was. And our recruitment team have a network that is wider than ex-Hearts players earning crap loads of money in England’s League One, particularly a forward that’s scored 10 goals in 64 games. Only 2 in the 21 games so far in the current season. He’s past it, and Hearts fans thinking he was the player he was when he left us or even when he was at Cardiff have evidently not seen him play for years. As anyone who had would want none of it.

This is where I am at with CPat now too. I prefer to remember him as he was. Not as he is now. 

15 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I really don’t see the contempt for Andy Halliday. The guy does a job for us, as a fringe player. I can’t remember him letting us down. The Aberdeen sending off was harsh when compared to what others have got away with against us.

Every player in our squad isn’t going to be a star that we can sell for millions of £s. We don’t yet have that stature.

His open love for Rangers shouldn’t be a problem unless it affects his performance. Plenty great players haven’t hidden their love for their boyhood team but still played well for their club. All of our players can’t be Hearts fans.

I think most people don’t like the fact that we appear to be a secondary job to his podcast, despite him picking up £2-£3k per week wages. But the Rangers thing annoys folk too, and for some reason some Hearts fans like him because of his affiliations. I don’t give a crap about all that though, for me it’s about how he performs. And last season he was in one of the weakest central midfields I’ve ever seen us have as we rarely controlled games in a league way below our level. And this season he’s been pretty crap bar a few games against lower league opposition in the cup and I think the St. Mirren game at the start of the season he was alright. He’s a liability, and his wages can be better spent elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Don’t see him fitting in… does he have a criminal record?

What a dirty rat ******* chasing the money😉

4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Another one to put to bed thankfully

So.......supposing Partick get promoted and Dundee get relegated?

Could be a sideways move for him. 

LarrysRightFoot
27 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I really don’t see the contempt for Andy Halliday. The guy does a job for us, as a fringe player. I can’t remember him letting us down. The Aberdeen sending off was harsh when compared to what others have got away with against us.

Every player in our squad isn’t going to be a star that we can sell for millions of £s. We don’t yet have that stature.

His open love for Rangers shouldn’t be a problem unless it affects his performance. Plenty great players haven’t hidden their love for their boyhood team but still played well for their club. All of our players can’t be Hearts fans.

I agree with this. I think he is a very handy squad player. As a professional he should do more to hide/play down his allegiance though. 

22 minutes ago, Gordon463 said:

Was just going to post the same. He's never let us down 

Maybe not attitude wise. No issues there. However if he plays tomorrow there will be a few Auchinleck players with more ability and athleticism than Andy Halliday.

29 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Maybe not attitude wise. No issues there. However if he plays tomorrow there will be a few Auchinleck players with more ability and athleticism than Andy Halliday.

I agree . I couldn't care less about his connections with another club. He is  just not very good. 

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I should add I’ve never really seen contempt for Halliday. Just honest analysis of his performances. If by contempt you mean some of the negative language used, then I’d agree that some do go over the top, but they go over the top for any player they don’t like. I do find it odd that despite playing as bad or even worse than some other players that he has more people defending him than others that have played as bad or even better than he has.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I should add I’ve never really seen contempt for Halliday. Just honest analysis of his performances. If by contempt you mean some of the negative language used, then I’d agree that some do go over the top, but they go over the top for any player they don’t like. I do find it odd that despite playing as bad or even worse than some other players that he has more people defending him than others that have played as bad or even better than he has.

Halliday is very liked at the club especially the coaching staff, versatile, trusted and causes no issues. Without starting a war just based on my personal opinion it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s here again next season if he’s happy to stay in the squad role 

Just now, Jamboj1 said:

Halliday is very liked at the club especially the coaching staff, versatile, trusted and causes no issues. Without starting a war just based on my personal opinion it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s here again next season if he’s happy to stay in the squad role 

Squad morale is a great thing and everything, but are we saying Halliday’s ‘bantz’ is worth the wages we pay? That a bench place that could be occupied by someone like Pollock is occupied by him to keep him happy? I do believe a well balanced squad does need players that will be content with limited time due to their age (youngster or in twilight of their careers) but I also feel they need to offer quality when they are to be called upon. Someone like Smith would fit that description if Atkinson end up taking his starting berth. But Halliday wasn’t very good in the Championship, never mind the Premiership, and it’s not as if he’s going to get any better. So although I do understand the character aspect, we’re not a charity club and I thought we were getting past the ‘jobs for the boys’ aspect to the club, so I would be disappointed if he’s here past the summer.

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Squad morale is a great thing and everything, but are we saying Halliday’s ‘bantz’ is worth the wages we pay? That a bench place that could be occupied by someone like Pollock is occupied by him to keep him happy? I do believe a well balanced squad does need players that will be content with limited time due to their age (youngster or in twilight of their careers) but I also feel they need to offer quality when they are to be called upon. Someone like Smith would fit that description if Atkinson end up taking his starting berth. But Halliday wasn’t very good in the Championship, never mind the Premiership, and it’s not as if he’s going to get any better. So although I do understand the character aspect, we’re not a charity club and I thought we were getting past the ‘jobs for the boys’ aspect to the club, so I would be disappointed if he’s here past the summer.

Halliday is an average premiership player imo, will be 4/5th choice but most importantly he offers cover to midfield, wing back, left back and also let’s either Kingsley or cochrane (if he stays) to move into left centre back. 1 guy able to cover 4 positions is valuable to any team I reckon, but the club might have someone similar in mind as a replacement already that’s a decision for them at the end of the season 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Halliday is an average premiership player imo, will be 4/5th choice but most importantly he offers cover to midfield, wing back, left back and also let’s either Kingsley or cochrane (if he stays) to move into left centre back. 1 guy able to cover 4 positions is valuable to any team I reckon, but the club might have someone similar in mind as a replacement already that’s a decision for them at the end of the season 👍🏻

The only position we can ‘rely’ (to an extent) on Halliday for is left wing back. He’s simply not good enough in midfield, I would worry at left back (in a 4 for example) and I have the complete fear if he ever was at CB. I don’t have problems having players who may be 4th or 5th choice, but I don’t want them earning as much as he does to be that.

24 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Fair enough.

I don't particularly mind Halliday. He's like a Neilson type player (a consistent 6/10 every week, but fully committed).*

*Similar to Neilson was as a player I mean.

Any news on a new contract for Haring?

Edited by heartsfc_fan

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I’ve no contempt for Halliday. The guy gives his all anytime he plays but he’s just not good enough to justify offering him a new contract. 

13 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I’ve no contempt for Halliday. The guy gives his all anytime he plays but he’s just not good enough to justify offering him a new contract. 

He’s been okay for us in general. Not usually brilliant, although he had a few really decent games. Not usually shite although he has also had a few stinkers. His plus points are his attitude and his versatility. His minus points being talent limitation and lack of pace. I wouldn’t go kicking him out the door just yet because we now have a pretty bare bones squad and we have zero idea about what is coming in and in what positions. If we need cover next season in areas he can play in, for me he is fine as long as he knows the score and is happy with it.

I think its disappointment in Halliday. At 30, despite coming from Rangers he's miles off what we need, and when you take a player from a bigger club there is a level of expectation. I think in hindsight, he's achieved his dream in football in playing for Rangers and the hunger and drive that got him there is long gone. He's not a key player and is being carried by much younger players - Cochrane offers bags more despite his lack of experience, Devlin harries far more effectively etc. The most obvious contrast I can think of is Cowie, at 33 he came in and was very much a key player for us and despite his age was the fittest player at the club that leant his experience in games and you really felt the benefit of him playing. 

My view is that if we're going to sign players that are late 20s/early 30s they need to have bags of experience and offer a hell of a lot more. Cowie was a great signing and you could really see what he added, his constant moving and keeping the ball moving was brilliant. He also offered a calmness too which Halliday lacks, upteen rash tackles, he almost reminds me of pre Sergio Ian Black, can't tackle for shit, and if he would just stop the tackling and focus on interceptions and harrying players on the ball he might have more success. Rashness like his red at Aberdeen is costly and not what you expect from a senior player. 

Beyond that, I think there is a bit of resentment that he seems to be trying to build a career in media at the same time. Seeing him talking up Rangers every chance I think reflects poorly on the club, its something that looks tinpot and more in tune with a west coast diddy trying to avoid relegation than a club vying for European football. Take the Calvin Ramsay comments, he shouldn't be talking about another teams player in that context, its unprofessional. 

I think we'd be far better letting him go in the summer and bring someone in with a bit more hunger and desire, or someone that can add some real value to the squad. 

Oli Burke available on 6th month loan out off contract in summer millwall intrested imagine pace upfront with him Gino mackay .

47 minutes ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

Oli Burke available on 6th month loan out off contract in summer millwall intrested imagine pace upfront with him Gino mackay .

No thanks he's an absolute spoofer 

Edited by Jackd51

42 minutes ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

His career has stagnated massively.

Not sure I'd touch him tbh

He needs a proper fresh start somewhere, but not sure we should be risking that as the wages would be big

Prefer someone like Gino myself as he will run into the ground for the team.

Burke is a luxury player, doesn't track back much etc

But since he isn't producing goals/assists there's not much use to him till (if) he captures some form

chester copperpot

Be patient folks, I am no longer (if I ever was in the know) but from what I've been told our striker might just make us happy. 

I don't understand the delay in giving Harring an extension. Worryingly he told the "this is my story" guys it wasn't even being discussed

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Gnando is a strange one. He has the lot in his locker, good on the ground, decent in the air, and when he's at it does the closing down and tracking back very well.

However something (in himself) stopped him building on the strong start to his career and this season he's just slid and slid and slid. Such a shame because a player like him offers so much. Even off the bench. Oh well.

I wouldn't be too hopeful we got a fee from Le Mans. The best outcome would be we don't have to pay the last 6 months off his contract.

Not for me. 

Poor touch, slow in acceleration, poor awareness, overall poor in the air for his height and build. 

He also makes no impact from the bench. Walker was one to keep for that.

He does run the channels well and track back, but all the other issues make his " qualities" obsolete. 

Lad is poor and we need far better going forward. 

Jean Louis Valois

I'd be shocked if Halliday doesn't get an extension for next season, seems highly thought of by Neilson. Not a starter but a handy player to have incase of injuries/suspensions.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I'd be shocked if Halliday doesn't get an extension for next season, seems highly thought of by Neilson. Not a starter but a handy player to have incase of injuries/suspensions.

My thoughts too. 

A year extension to help the transition of new players, bring some continuity. 

I'd also like McKay to sign an extension before he goes. 

32 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I think Haring and Halliday should be both be given a year or two extension. Both versatile players offering cover for multiple positions. If Halliday wasn't such a rabid Hun it would be easier for folk to see what he brings to the team. Very seldom let us down and we have a very good win rate with him in the team.

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

I don't understand the delay in giving Harring an extension. Worryingly he told the "this is my story" guys it wasn't even being discussed

When was this? Was it recently or a few weeks ago. 

I remember reading an interview with Haring where he said he was waiting to see what the situation is with qualifying for Europe before they discuss an extension. 

To me it read as him saying he'll stay in if we make europe and perhaps take his chances in a new league if we don't. No idea tbh. 

We need to get him on a 2 year ASAP. One of our best players.

I know Halliday won't be on a lot but I'd still fancy our recruitment team to spend that money better. That added with his media baggage I think he'll be shown the door.

2 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

I remember reading an interview with Haring where he said he was waiting to see what the situation is with qualifying for Europe before they discuss an extension. 

To me it read as him saying he'll stay in if we make europe and perhaps take his chances in a new league if we don't. No idea tbh. 

I think it was mentioned after Harring joined the guys in the boxing day watch along. It rang some alarm bells in my head.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think Haring and Halliday should be both be given a year or two extension. Both versatile players offering cover for multiple positions. If Halliday wasn't such a rabid Hun it would be easier for folk to see what he brings to the team. Very seldom let us down and we have a very good win rate with him in the team.

As I said on the previous page, I give not one jot what team our players support or who they played for, as long as they play professionally for us and - importantly - to a quality standard. Halliday doesn’t have the quality. And for me, he gets a lot more defence for his level of ‘quality’ than he should. Especially in comparison to some of the abuse and ridicule other players have received despite playing as good or even better than him.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I know Halliday won't be on a lot but I'd still fancy our recruitment team to spend that money better. That added with his media baggage I think he'll be shown the door.

I don’t know what he’s on, but I remember that leaked document (from last season, I think?) had him as one of the highest earners at the club. In the top 5. Not sure how valid that document was or where he is now. But supposedly he’s on upwards of £3k per week. And that is definitely money that could be better spent elsewhere. Nothing against the guy or anything. But he’s past whatever level was his best, and for me it’s a bit costly for a jester in the dressing room or because you get on with the management team on a personal level.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Be patient folks, I am no longer (if I ever was in the know) but from what I've been told our striker might just make us happy. 

As in, you've been given a name but not allowed to share, or just been told the same as you've posted here? Interesting anyway🙏

19 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Eh ?  Halliday brings what ? 

Slow,  can't beat the 1st man when attempting to cross into the box, always likely to get carded    

Haring , not getting the love love love.. he makes maybe one telling pass per game, one decent challenge. Also likely to get carded and slow.

Ship them and GMS 

5 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/peter-haring-opens-up-hearts-22528313.amp

it is here. The Original article is in German, but has some great lines in it. 

Titled “Haring’s Hearts on Fire” and has a box quote saying, 
“Die Atmosphäre im Tynecastle ist gewaltig.”

Gewaltig seams to translate as “huge, enormous, powerful or violent”. Nailed it. 

it also ends with:
“Haring's contract with the Hearts ends in the summer. The 28-year-old, who came as a central defender and now mostly pulls the strings in midfield, is relaxed. Edinburgh is "awesome" and the aim of the season is clear: "Europa League". Then it's: Let's see.”

Doesn’t sound conditional on Europe. Sounds like standard media training: “we’ll get the job done as a team, then I’ll think about myself as an individual”. 

Sounds happy here. 

6 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Slow,  can't beat the 1st man when attempting to cross into the box, always likely to get carded    

Haring , not getting the love love love.. he makes maybe one telling pass per game, one decent challenge. Also likely to get carded and slow.

Ship them and GMS 

Agree about Halliday and GMS, strongly disagree about Haring. Haring should definitely be offered a new deal, unless of course Savage and co have something bigger planned for the summer.

6 minutes ago, CMc said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/peter-haring-opens-up-hearts-22528313.amp

Gewaltig seams to translate as “huge, enormous, powerful or violent”. Nailed it. 

it also ends with:
“Haring's contract with the Hearts ends in the summer. The 28-year-old, who came as a central defender and now mostly pulls the strings in midfield, is relaxed. Edinburgh is "awesome" and the aim of the season is clear: "Europa League". Then it's: Let's see.”

Doesn’t sound conditional on Europe. Sounds like standard media training: “we’ll get the job done as a team, then I’ll think about myself as an individual”. 

Sounds happy here. 

“Keeper-Legende Craig Gordon“ should also be written on the big man’s parking space at Riccarton. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don’t know what he’s on, but I remember that leaked document (from last season, I think?) had him as one of the highest earners at the club. In the top 5. Not sure how valid that document was or where he is now. But supposedly he’s on upwards of £3k per week. And that is definitely money that could be better spent elsewhere. Nothing against the guy or anything. But he’s past whatever level was his best, and for me it’s a bit costly for a jester in the dressing room or because you get on with the management team on a personal level.

But as part of any extension we bring that wage  down as he'll be squad player. 

We'll need at least 5 or 6 decent players on top of our first 18 that are happy to play a smaller amount of games over a season. 

Usually that would be young players but we don't have that yet so guys, like Haliday may have their use for another season or two until we get to a level where decent players at happy to sit out and wait thier time or youth is at a sufficient quality to fill that gap. 

I don't see the rush to reduce squad numbers so readily, we could be in European group stages next season and trying to close the gap on 2nd. 

Given Hearts stature, it's hard to find decent players that are happy to fill in and do a good job when required. 

If he goes, he frees up a wage, if he stays he'll likely need to accept he's a squad player and have a wage in line with that. 

Basically, I think for him if our squad wage is around the same as a livi type first team wage he stays, if not he'll leave for a club of their ilk. 

PhoenixHearts
18 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Ship them and GMS 

Biggest load of pish I've read on here in at least 10 whole minutes.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

We have Smith to cover all over the defence and midfield, no need for the Uber Hun anymore. A wage that can be better used elsewhere. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, CMc said:

it also ends with:

Sounds happy here. 

With lots of games next season we should definitely be looking at giving him an a new contract. 

6 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Biggest load of pish I've read on here in at least 10 whole minutes.

Have you only been on for 10 minutes  ? 

Plenty pish on here..

Toodles

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We have Smith to cover all over the defence and midfield, no need for the Uber Hun anymore. A wage that can be better used elsewhere. 

You'd also hope Pollock and to some extent McEneff get more chances in CM. I hope we get a new LWB who is more offensive than our current options.

Hearts of Vladland

If Halliday gets a contract extension and Haring is let go then I’m seriously worried at what the management team are actually looking for in players.

2 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Cheers .. I'm confident the club knows what it's doing

43 minutes ago, CMc said:

it also ends with:

Sounds happy here. 

Yeah ‘let’s see’ could mean … I don’t want to be seen as too keen and get a low-ball contract offer. 
Hope he gets an extension, really rate Big Pete. 

Edited by Rogue Daddy

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal