Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not getting the "seathe"?

I will spell it out for you....ITS SEVCO! A COMPETITOR! A SHOWER!

We are all aware of the contractual obligations. Why could he not have signed a 12 month extension with a release clause of say £1M? That would have helped the club that looked after him whilst his ankles were melted but naw, one sniff of the weej and he's offski!!!

You dont feel that?

i feel that 100% and 10 years ago I’d have been raging.

however - now I’m a bit older I can recognise that if I put myself in JS shoes - he needs to make as much money as possible as soon as possible.. as given his injury record it may be a short lived career and protecting the family is #1.. Iif I was him I’d also favour the huns  over the championship.. same money, in a league he can stroll, no need to move family, champs league games on occasion.  Vs a brutal league with an absolute ton of fixtures..

I have been petitioning for ages that we should absolutely burst the bank to make JS our highest paid player by a long way. That was the only way we’d get the fee we want. Not many agreed 

Totally gutted.. but I’d 100% do the same thing. No way I’d sign for 1 year on a nominal increase no matter how grateful I was to hearts. 

At this point Souttar knows what we are willing to offer. He also knows what Blackburn and other Championship sides are willing to offer and if reports are true what Rangers are willing to offer too.

He’s not delaying so that we’ll up our offer, he’s delaying as he wants these other teams to compete with each other for the best package. I think it’s 99.9% certain he won’t be a Hearts player beyond his current contract.

With that in mind, if he could kindly **** off with immediate effect, it would be much appreciated for us as a club to move forward.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was 98 McCann left for his release clause of £1.6m. 

Think there was a clause in the deal mccann signed was that he got a%age of any future transfer fee. Which meant both he and the club benefitted. 

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Some interesting stuff re: our recruitment process from Robbie Neilson on the latest episode of the Scarves Around the Funnel podcast.

To summarise:

- Neilson specifies what he wants in a player and then reviews the options put to him by the recruitment team.

- It seems George Brown identifies players based on stats while Will Lancefield is more of a traditional scout. Devlin was initially identified by Brown using the former method and Baningime by Lancefield using the latter.

- We're looking at players in several positions, even ones that aren't an immediate priority (LWB and CM were mentioned) just in case. Devlin and Baningime have attracted a lot of interest from other clubs already.

- It sounds like Savage (as I suspected) isn't necessarily directly involved in identifying or choosing players but rather is the guy that makes it happen.

Sounds like we have a proper recruitment team, changed days from Levein and John Murray flicking through their address books

Just had a look at the Rangers squad for any potential players going the other way.

They have Morelos, Roofe and Sakala so recalling Itten is weird since he can't move again.

The only other signing I could see that might interest us age wise and potential would be Jack Simpson. Not sure if he'd come though.

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Some interesting stuff re: our recruitment process from Robbie Neilson on the latest episode of the Scarves Around the Funnel podcast.

To summarise:

- Neilson specifies what he wants in a player and then reviews the options put to him by the recruitment team.

- It seems George Brown identifies players based on stats while Will Lancefield is more of a traditional scout. Devlin was initially identified by Brown using the former method and Baningime by Lancefield using the latter.

- We're looking at players in several positions, even ones that aren't an immediate priority (LWB and CM were mentioned) just in case. Devlin and Baningime have attracted a lot of interest from other clubs already.

- It sounds like Savage (as I suspected) isn't necessarily directly involved in identifying or choosing players but rather is the guy that makes it happen.

It is a really good listen. And even some banter from Robbie about having Souttar locked in his boot.

I don't know how these things work but I hope once other things are sorted that the club will look to negotiate extensions with Beni and Devlin to try to maximise the fee if and when they are sold.

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Just had a look at the Rangers squad for any potential players going the other way.

They have Morelos, Roofe and Sakala so recalling Itten is weird since he can't move again.

The only other signing I could see that might interest us age wise and potential would be Jack Simpson. Not sure if he'd come though.

If they ask for a swap.  We should ask for morelos.  We need a striker

9 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

We are all aware of the contractual obligations. Why could he not have signed a 12 month extension with a release clause of say £1M? That would have helped the club that looked after him whilst his ankles were melted but naw, one sniff of the weej and he's offski!!!

You dont feel that?

He could have signed a 12 month extension with a release clause, if it suited him. But why would he? What salary would have been offered in such an extension? Is it more or less than he could get elsewhere? You can't make people sign contracts just because it suits Hearts.

I don't want a Rangers reject in exchange for Souttar. If he signs a pre contract with them and they want him now, they can pay us a proper fee otherwise we are just giving them a Scotland international for free and saving them some wages on a player they don't want.

19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

You dont feel that?

This

2 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

He could have signed a 12 month extension with a release clause, if it suited him. But why would he? What salary would have been offered in such an extension? Is it more or less than he could get elsewhere? You can't make people sign contracts just because it suits Hearts.

Sadly this is true.   we would all have wanted him to extend with a release clause and feel that's what a 'proper Hearts man' would do - and may be it is, but how many footballers would put Hearts above their own financial well-being....really? Very few.   I think with Souttars track record of injuries,  he's bound to be after the most financial security he can get.  If by signing an extension it means some clubs delay,  offer less of a sign on fee or less wages (because they have to shell out to the Club to buy him)...then we can't really expect this of him.    The annoyance from me would be we've not been able to cash in sooner (but that's due to injuries) and IF he joins 'that mob',  it really pisses me off because I was hoping he could do better.    

19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

You dont feel that?

Yip, and to add to that, if he has 1 or 2 good seasons with them, its them that will make millions from him , not us after everything we done for him😡

Where are you all gettin the news (and the length of contract) for Kingsley? Cannot see it being confirmed anywhere, other than a rag tweeting that he is set to sign an extension?

17 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Tranmere sign Kane Hemmings from Burton; would suspect that would mean they're not in for Gnando anymore... 

The rumour in the lower league fora was that both Tranmere and Salford were interested in either Hemmings or Gnando. Hopefully if Salford have missed out on Hemmings, they'll take Gnando off our hands.

2 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

The rumour in the lower league fora was that both Tranmere and Salford were interested in either Hemmings or Gnando. Hopefully if Salford have missed out on Hemmings, they'll take Gnando off our hands.

It was posted on here yesterday that Salford were after Cosgrove. I doubt they would want both Cosgrove and gnando

Considering I was expecting the Kingsley extension announcement yesterday (sure I wasn’t alone in that) we wait to see if any news today. I fear any new signing won’t be announced for a bit yet, and even worse I can this Souttar saga dragging maybe even beyond the window to be honest.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Kingsley is better than many players we could attract but not quite good enough for the next level so I'm delighted he will be playing his prime years in maroon :)

His type ate the best. 

They've also already at a "crack" at England and earned a decent amount with a lucrative deal over 2 or 3 years so football is their main concern now. 

McKay falls into that category as well. 

To a lesser extent Beni/ woodburn as well. 

Players going backwards and have pocketed a fair wedge already so thinking about football either to  improve or because Hearts is a club hey can thrive and enjoy themselves, make their home. 

Unlike Souttar who still wants that big pay day. 

Boyce, GMS and Gordon to a lesser well.  Tried England/ OF made their money. 

Older, but have made their money and can enjoy their football with us and harbour no real will to leave if they are doing just that. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

His type ate the best. 

They've also already at a "crack" at England and earned a decent amount with a lucrative deal over 2 or 3 years so football is their main concern now. 

Players going backwards and have pocketed a fair wedge already so thinking about football either to  improve or because Hearts is a club hey can thrive and enjoy themselves, make their home. 

Older, but have made their money and can enjoy their football with us and harbour no real will to leave if they are doing just that. 

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. 

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

I'm sure the club that is securing his services will announce it first.  

Kingsley, unless there's a major injury crisis won't be playing for Scotland anytime soon.  There's about 4 LBs ahead of him. 

4 LB's for now. Won't stop him getting a callup even if he's just on the bench for a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

His type ate the best. 

A mix is what you want.  The classic experience and youth.

Guys as you say who've been there, maybe made a bit of dosh, got good habits and know what it takes to make it to the top (even if they never quite made it, but they've seen it and what it takes).  But you want those guys like Souttar who have ambitions right at the very top too - driving to get seen by the big clubs.  That's important too.

Don't for a second think that Beni, Dev, Natty, even McKay wouldn't be delighted to get an offer of £20k/wk from Brighton or Bournemouth or whatever, never mind Spurs or Everton.  They need to do really well to get there and we benefit from that on the park (and hopefully off it if we play the contract game correctly)

32 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Why would he? Who stood by him not once but twice with career threatening injuries? Any extension would not have harmed his chances for a move if it had a release clause inserted.

Think we will never agree. Lets move on.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Guys as you say who've been there, maybe made a bit of dosh, got good habits and know what it takes to make it to the top (even if they never quite made it, but they've seen it and what it takes).  But you want those guys like Souttar who have ambitions right at the very top too - driving to get seen by the big clubs.  That's important too.

Don't for a second think that Beni, Dev, Natty, even McKay wouldn't be delighted to get an offer of £20k/wk from Brighton or Bournemouth or whatever, never mind Spurs or Everton.  They need to do really well to get there and we benefit from that on the park (and hopefully off it if we play the contract game correctly)

Ofc, but good core of Kingsley types would be ideal, guys that are happy to stay. 

Good players as well. 

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

He got a good reception his first game at Tynie playing for Rangers. 

Remember the fans giving him a round of applause when he went to take a corner at the Gorgie end. 

Mutual respect 👍

If I remember correctly he was a sub first game back and sent down to warm up in front of the Hearts support. Mind games by Rangers. He got a good reception though. Can't mind how it was when he came on though. 

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why would he? Who stood by him not once but twice with career threatening injuries? Any extension would not have harmed his chances for a move if it had a release clause inserted.

In fairness, said injuries are probably a major part of ‘why’ he’s leaving too. His Achilles is a timebomb, i don’t think it’d be a great surprise to anyone if he got crocked again at some point in this season so it shouldn’t be a surprise to see him jump at the first big offer he got as it could easily be his last. 

9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Beni already said he was here to make us money and RN said enjoy him while he's here. Wouldn't be surprised if he's away next season for a ridiculous amount of money (in a good way).

The Apprentice
51 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

You dont feel that?

Whilst I agree to an extent, the fact is John Souttar on a pre-contract, even with his injury history, is a good option for lots of clubs and worth the risk. He's in a really good bargaining position. But Souttar under contract for 18 months, with his injury history, and a minimum £1m buy-out is less attractive.  I'm honestly not so sure there would be the same amount of interest in him at this stage in those circumstances.  In saying all of that, he could have had a brilliant second half of the season and there could be in the summer. Looks like a case of him striking whilst the iron's hot. 

Still holding out hope he's heading down south.

2 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

In fairness, said injuries are probably a major part of ‘why’ he’s leaving too. His Achilles is a timebomb, i don’t think it’d be a great surprise to anyone if he got crocked again at some point in this season so it shouldn’t be a surprise to see him jump at the first big offer he got as it could easily be his last. 

I dont disagree with that or his move, more of the nature of it. It just feels like we are being cast aside, but lets wait to hear what the official story is when it breaks. He may have inserted a sell on clause when rangers get £5Million for him in a year or two!

12 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

What if he got another bad injury in say August? I totally get why he wants to make as much as he can out the game. 

Just now, The Apprentice said:

Whilst I agree to an extent, the fact is John Souttar on a pre-contract, even with his injury history, is a good option for lots of clubs and worth the risk. He's in a really good bargaining position. But Souttar under contract for 18 months, with his injury history, and a minimum £1m buy-out is less attractive.  I'm honestly not so sure there would be the same amount of interest in him at this stage in those circumstances.  In saying all of that, he could have had a brilliant second half of the season and there could be in the summer. Looks like a case of him striking whilst the iron's hot. 

Still holding out hope he's heading down south.

Got back in the Scotland squad and scored a goal plus a good few man of the match performances. Who knows eh?

3 minutes ago, Sertse said:

No 1200 announcement, unlikely to hear anything today unless it's 1500

Kingsley will be doing Hearts Tv stuff then will be announced me thinks

Just now, Scott Leitch said:

What if he got another bad injury in say August? I totally get why he wants to make as much as he can out the game. 

What if what if? We looked after him for years and it looks like we get heehaw and sevco gets to sell him in a season or so for big money.

What do we get?

45 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

i feel that 100% and 10 years ago I’d have been raging.

however - now I’m a bit older I can recognise that if I put myself in JS shoes - he needs to make as much money as possible as soon as possible.. as given his injury record it may be a short lived career and protecting the family is #1.. Iif I was him I’d also favour the huns  over the championship.. same money, in a league he can stroll, no need to move family, champs league games on occasion.  Vs a brutal league with an absolute ton of fixtures..

I have been petitioning for ages that we should absolutely burst the bank to make JS our highest paid player by a long way. That was the only way we’d get the fee we want. Not many agreed 

Totally gutted.. but I’d 100% do the same thing. No way I’d sign for 1 year on a nominal increase no matter how grateful I was to hearts. 

Think Hearts did offer JS a huge increase on his wages according to Budge and McKinlay at the recent Shareholders dinner. I guess we can't compete with Championship clubs in England or the Huns,  at the moment. Harsh to say we didn't pull out the stops to keep Souttar. For what it's worth I worry every time he goes down injured that his  career could be over given his injury history. I feel the same way with Boyce and Gordon but that's because we have no back up rather than their fitness record.

In summary I'm happy for JS to go now ,preferably down south , i will never be happy if a player leaves us for the Old Firm though.

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ofc, but good core of Kingsley types would be ideal, guys that are happy to stay. 

Good players as well. 

Defo.  Core is the massive word there.  When's the last time it felt we had one!?!?!?

Gordon, Halks and Kingsley all very much that.  Boycie too.  Would love to add Haring.

Isn't about the spine of the team, it's a group of guys who "get" being at Hearts and set the standard every day.

As far as the actual team though, you can add Dev, Beni, Natty and at least McKay to that list of guys who are regulars and give us a good settled team for a good while.

It also means you can lose a good player (Souttar) and it has less effect than it might.  So if and when Beni goes, for example, we're solid, we recruit and absorb that crossover period to settle someone in.

Just now, Pans Jambo said:

What if what if? We looked after him for years and it looks like we get heehaw and sevco gets to sell him in a season or so for big money.

What do we get?

We honoured his contract , as we should .

If I remember rightly we gave him a new contract when he was injured ?

A calculated risk but , imo , the correct thing to do 

8 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Beni already said he was here to make us money and RN said enjoy him while he's here. Wouldn't be surprised if he's away next season for a ridiculous amount of money (in a good way).

Yup.  And that's absolutely fine.  As I say, you can do that and be that shop window, but to do it well you need a really solid foundation of players.  Feels like we're getting that in place now!

Yeeha!

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Defo.  Core is the massive word there.  When's the last time it felt we had one!?!?!?

Gordon, Halks and Kingsley all very much that.  Boycie too.  Would love to add Haring.

Isn't about the spine of the team, it's a group of guys who "get" being at Hearts and set the standard every day.

As far as the actual team though, you can add Dev, Beni, Natty and at least McKay to that list of guys who are regulars and give us a good settled team for a good while.

It also means you can lose a good player (Souttar) and it has less effect than it might.  So if and when Beni goes, for example, we're solid, we recruit and absorb that crossover period to settle someone in.

Yip, Smith as well

It's almost like Bob kens what he's doing. 

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Good players as well. 

This but add to that that they enjoy playing for Hearts and you can see their happiness when they play and score and want to win.

Players like Gnando etc are just mercenaries and have no love for the club or pride in playing for a Club like Hearts and have little or no affinity with the fans.

Look at someone like Devlin and see the passion he has. That is the type of players we wnwt to fill out squad with.

scott herbertson
7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

What do we get?

Can't get this out of my mind now

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

This but add to that that they enjoy playing for Hearts and you can see their happiness when they play and score and want to win.

Players like Gnando etc are just mercenaries and have no love for the club or pride in playing for a Club like Hearts and have little or no affinity with the fans.

Look at someone like Devlin and see the passion he has. That is the type of players we wnwt to fill out squad with.

Yip. 

100%

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Think Hearts did offer JS a huge increase on his wages according to Budge and McKinlay at the recent Shareholders dinner. I guess we can't compete with Championship clubs in England or the Huns,  at the moment. Harsh to say we didn't pull out the stops to keep Souttar. For what it's worth I worry every time he goes down injured that his  career could be over given his injury history. I feel the same way with Boyce and Gordon but that's because we have no back up rather than their fitness record.

In summary I'm happy for JS to go now ,preferably down south , i will never be happy if a player leaves us for the Old Firm though.

I’m a die hard hearts fans which JS is not.. 

in his shoes if I was on £3 per week, let’s just make it up and say we offered £6k per week.. 

If rangers or a championship teams come along and offer £12k per week.. I’m away to the huns for the reasons I’ve articulated..

as a fan I absolutely ****ing hate it, but I’m old enough now to understand it.

9 minutes ago, john thomas said:

We honoured his contract , as we should .

If I remember rightly we gave him a new contract when he was injured ?

A calculated risk but , imo , the correct thing to do 

It was.

I'm just pissed off he's going to the hun with (as far as I know just now) very little for Hearts in compensation.

I'll get over it but I'm pissed off today!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic