** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I reckon he is, we’ve had some awful players who are viewed as legends. Rudi played less than 100 times for us. Not up to us though, and Souttar definitely isn’t. 

would say Beattie was more of a cult hero than a legend myself

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

57 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Moving on is not my beef, neither is zero compensation.  Issue is selling to a competitor.  Blackburn Rovers would be ideal as they look to be Premier League bound.  I cannot see The Hun matching that.  it will reflect soapy's ambition at end of the day.

Bang on 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Bluesy1874 said:

This is my feeling on the matter too, I think the decision will be more to do with Michael Smiths age rather than ability.

Depends if he plays enough to earn his extension, and is happy to be a squad player next season. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Any job? PM? Hibs manager? Djokovic media representative? England cricket coach? Electric chair switch operator? 

😅 obviously there's limits but the point stands. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Gav M said:

would say Beattie was more of a cult hero than a legend myself

Fair enough, I wouldn’t say guys like Macdonald/Grainger/Black/Elliot/Barr were legends but most do. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

😅 obviously there's limits but the point stands. 

Yeah just kidding 👍🏽

best in the land
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Depends if he plays enough to earn his extension, and is happy to be a squad player next season. 

Depends also if Atkinson is good enough. 

A_A wehatethehibs
48 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Hopefully Gnanduillet’s departure is announced next.

What about Euan Henderson? Extending here then back in loan? or coming back here to compete for a jersey / extension? 

Just to clear this up. Anyone who played their part in the 5-1 cup final game, our biggest game in our clubs history, is a legend.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair enough, I wouldn’t say guys like Macdonald/Grainger/Black/Elliot/Barr were legends but most do. 

I wouldn’t say they are legends either. They are cup winners. It’s all opinion though. If some folk have 200 Hearts legends in their minds that’s fine. In my mind since I’ve been watching Hearts, there are less than 10 legends.

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think the amount of games matter, Beattie played 9 times for instance. 

He isn’t a legend.  A player who came in and had one wonderful five minutes.  I don’t hand out legend status lightly. 

30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I very rarely give anyone abuse at the game and of course he’s no legend. He’s been a really good player and will do well at Rangers. Just a shame the way it’s looking like ending up. 

Agreed, but not really surprising. I suspected it would be one side of Glasgow he ended up at, just not sure which one. He isn’t good enough for epl so OF has always been obvious destination. 

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What about Euan Henderson? Extending here then back in loan? or coming back here to compete for a jersey / extension? 

On the scarves around the funnel podcast Neilson said he would be there for the season 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Also depends if there’s some other club willing to give him a two year deal in the summer. 

10 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

How would you do it differently? With his history of injuries he should be looking to get any deal concluded before the next game he plays in. Fact is Souttar has been a class act at Hearts on and off the pitch and nothing he has done here has changed that IMO.

Loads of folk have a sense of loyalty to their employer to some extent or another. It’s very common. Calum Paterson signed a deal in order to get a fee but to be clear, I fully understand Souttars reasoning. That doesn’t mean I’m happy about it. 

4 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Just to clear this up. Anyone who played their part in the 5-1 cup final game, our biggest game in our clubs history, is a legend.

Disagree.  Legends are key players in the clubs history. Most of the 5-1 team are cult status because they won a cup and mostly because of who the opposition was. I’d think a great many of our fans today couldn’t name the starting eleven and subs from 2012 without some help. The names of real legends would just flow out of their mouths because there’s not that many of them. 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Having Smith in the squad will be great for us . Think many underestimate his value to the team .

If he wants to move on (final contract) we'll probably get a wee bit dosh for him . Which is fine if we have cover .

I'd prefer him to stay

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I wouldn’t say they are legends either. They are cup winners. It’s all opinion though. If some folk have 200 Hearts legends in their minds that’s fine. In my mind since I’ve been watching Hearts, there are less than 10 legends.

👍Mackay, Robbo, Levein, Cruickshank, Gordon, Smith, Skacel, McPherson, who else is in your ten? 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Disagree.  Legends are key players in the clubs history. Most of the 5-1 team are cult status because they won a cup and mostly because of who the opposition was. I’d think a great many of our fans today couldn’t name the starting eleven and subs from 2012 without some help. The names of real legends would just flow out of their mouths because there’s not that many of them. 

I think anyone who wins the cup for our club are legends. I do get why people don’t.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Loads of folk have a sense of loyalty to their employer to some extent or another. It’s very common. Calum Paterson signed a deal in order to get a fee but to be clear, I fully understand Souttars reasoning. That doesn’t mean I’m happy about it. 

????? Paterson never signed a new deal, left on a free but insisted there was a sell on % included for Hearts in the deal he signed with Cardiff. Craig Gordon might be the one you're thinking of but that was back when we could compete wages-wise with clubs.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

👍Mackay, Robbo, Levein, Cruickshank, Gordon, Smith, Skacel, McPherson, who else is in your ten? 

Donald Ford should be in the list as well.

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I think anyone who wins the cup for our club are legends. I do get why people don’t.

Correct. 

Players have always gone to Glasgow for the money and the (local) glory, though many have had their careers ruined because they couldn’t get a game. Nothing new there. I will be disappointed if Souttar goes to Sevco, but from his point of view it’s probably the best deal available. Big money, guaranteed European football, nailed on Scotland starter the moment he signs, and he won’t even have to move house. Signing for a Championship club only gives him the money.

The only part that stings is that if Sevco get a couple of injury-free years out of him (which frankly wouldn’t surprise me in the least) then they will sell him to an EPL club for the sort of megabucks that would be game-changing for a club like us. EPL teams virtually never sign players from any SPL club except the uglies. I don’t think they even bother to scout any other clubs. If you aren’t in Glasgow, you have to ‘prove’ yourself in the Championship first before a top division team will even look at you. But if it’s Sevco or Celtic, they’ll not only sign the player directly, they’ll arrive with their wallets open. Which makes no sense. It’s far easier for a player to ‘star’ for a team which starts over 90% of their games with a gargantuan financial and cultural advantage over the opposition. A player who has shone for a club without that sort of advantage is probably a better bet. But if Souttar were at Sevco right now, EPL clubs would be offering them millions.

1 hour ago, StevenNaismith said:

Hopefully Gnanduillet’s departure is announced next.

Doubt they'd announce it until they get a replacement, will be glad to see him gone though

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, best in the land said:

Depends also if Atkinson is good enough. 

I think the recruitment team have got most of the signings spot on so far, no need to doubt he will be. 
Even if he isn’t then we will need better than Smith. 

1 minute ago, Doc Rob said:

Players have always gone to Glasgow for the money and the (local) glory, though many have had their careers ruined because they couldn’t get a game. Nothing new there. I will be disappointed if Souttar goes to Sevco, but from his point of view it’s probably the best deal available. Big money, guaranteed European football, nailed on Scotland starter the moment he signs, and he won’t even have to move house. Signing for a Championship club only gives him the money.

The only part that stings is that if Sevco get a couple of injury-free years out of him (which frankly wouldn’t surprise me in the least) then they will sell him to an EPL club for the sort of megabucks that would be game-changing for a club like us. EPL teams virtually never sign players from any SPL club except the uglies. I don’t think they even bother to scout any other clubs. If you aren’t in Glasgow, you have to ‘prove’ yourself in the Championship first before a top division team will even look at you. But if it’s Sevco or Celtic, they’ll not only sign the player directly, they’ll arrive with their wallets open. Which makes no sense. It’s far easier for a player to ‘star’ for a team which starts over 90% of their games with a gargantuan financial and cultural advantage over the opposition. A player who has shone for a club without that sort of advantage is probably a better bet. But if Souttar were at Sevco right now, EPL clubs would be offering them millions.

Think you are mostly correct but also think this is changing 

In a recent interview on Hearts TV Peter Haring said he was going to wait til later in the season to decide his future. He has options abroad but a big factor in staying with us would be us being in a European competition.

Of course he may have been concerned that with the form of Beni and Dev his game time was going to be more limited. He has grabbed his place back though tremendously well with Beni being injured. He is almost to me one of the first names on the team sheet. 

It's up to us the fans, too, to make sure he knows how much we value him and want him to stay. He has so much to offer it would be a real shame if he moves on.

Edited by stuart500

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yeah I’m not one for handing the status out easily either, depends on what you do though and Skacel for instance is one without playing many games. 

8 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

????? Paterson never signed a new deal, left on a free but insisted there was a sell on % included for Hearts in the deal he signed with Cardiff. Craig Gordon might be the one you're thinking of but that was back when we could compete wages-wise with clubs.

I must just be getting mixed up with someone else or remembering wrongly. Now you remind me I do remember it was a sell on clause.

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Thanks I should’ve asked you in the first place. Scott Robinson and Medhi Taouil have legendary status 👍🏽

13 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Busby Ford Colquhoun maybe a couple more on the borderline like Pressley

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He isn’t a legend.  A player who came in and had one wonderful five minutes.  I don’t hand out legend status lightly. 

A lot of folk would, it was more than a wonderful five minutes though. I don’t think there’s any hard and fast rule though, we all

agree Souttar isn’t one. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Busby Ford Colquhoun maybe a couple more on the borderline like Pressley

Wouldn’t say Smith was, no Neilson?

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Whilst he had a couple of major errors in big games Henry was outstanding week in week out for many seasons. Just a pity he wasn’t around in 98. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Nah. You can’t have a tackle and a European goal to your name amongst a pretty average career and be a legend, especially if you’ve got Brora and Birkirkara on your CV. Good servant I’d bracket him as.

Henry Smith is borderline legend for me. Very underrated keeper who deserved 86 to end better. Had so many nearly moments and so many disasters but kept bouncing back

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Whilst he had a couple of major errors in big games Henry was outstanding week in week out for many seasons. Just a pity he wasn’t around in 98. 

Aw Henry Smith is 100% legend for me.  Was my hero as a kid - probably above Robbo, JC etc when I was 8.  You play that many games for the club and as consistently at that high level, plus be a top guy, cult hero type, he's a legend.

Looks like 1 more contract to be renewed in coming days. Must be Haring.

Great news for . And Robbie Neilson suggests on this week that one more contract extension will be announced shortly… “There’s a couple that we hope to do in the next few days that will be great for us” [when asked about Kingsley signing his new deal]

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Nah. You can’t have a tackle and a European goal to your name amongst a pretty average career and be a legend, especially if you’ve got Brora and Birkirkara on your CV. Good servant I’d bracket him as.

Henry Smith is borderline legend for me. Very underrated keeper who deserved 86 to end better. Had so many nearly moments and so many disasters but kept bouncing back

ew-no.gif

best in the land
28 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think the recruitment team have got most of the signings spot on so far, no need to doubt he will be. 
Even if he isn’t then we will need better than Smith. 

Definitely if we keep with playing rwb. Smith not upto that position. 

Hopefully Atkinson turns out to be a star player. 

2 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Great news for . And Robbie Neilson suggests on this week that one more contract extension will be announced shortly… “There’s a couple that we hope to do in the next few days that will be great for us” [when asked about Kingsley signing his new deal]

Haring or Smith - hopefully Haring (though not against Smudge getting another year at all).

Only other thing would be if we've acted early on someone whose contracted to 2023 I suppose.  Not sure who's in that camp?  McKay maybe?

4 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Halliday I reckon. 😎

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Haring or Smith - hopefully Haring (though not against Smudge getting another year at all).

Only other thing would be if we've acted early on someone whose contracted to 2023 I suppose.  Not sure who's in that camp?  McKay maybe?

I'm guessing Smith, another poster suggested that we already have him signed up.

I think Haring is easily the most important player yet to extend and hopefully he does. He's one of our best players when fit, and even if you think he's behind Devlin and Beni in the pecking order if these guys keep performing like they do they won't be here for very long. So if we sell one of them on, it'd be great for continuity to have the replacement already here.

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I'm guessing Smith, another poster suggested that we already have him signed up.

Only thing would be that didn't he have an extension clause anyway?  If so, why negotiate a new deal?

Who knows obvs!

It would actually be pretty cool if we saw the club tying down anyone who is ooc 2023, it would show some foresight and ambition and not leave us as susceptible - mind you I think players quite like to leave it late for obv reasons.

Anyway.... New striker please!!!!!!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic