How clever does Savage look now?

HEARTS FOREVER

16 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It doesn't show anything because it's just an opinion, not a fact.

yeah I wasn’t being negative and your right it’s just my opinion. If you flip what I said and look at it more positively… we are maybe only 3 quality players away from challenging for 3rd as we have the core of a decent squad?…

again being optimistic and positive, I do think that with Boyce, GMS and Ginelly we are capable of beating anyone with single moments of brilliance.

JS and RN will know what we need and this is echoed by every hearts fan when they say we need a CB, forward thinking CM and another player similar to GMS/Ginelly. A striker would also be nice. If we signed 3/4 of these positions and they were quality, first team players we could have a very good season. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Bazzas right boot

• HEARTS FOREVER

• GinRummy

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Basic £1500 plus bonuses. 

You made that up, but "bonuses" is a bit vague. 

Could be £50, £500 or £2k. 

SectionDJambo

I think most of us will have the opinion that the current squad isn’t strong enough to make any major impact this season. A few additions and a couple of exits are still required, but I can’t say that my confidence in the new recruitment setup has been knocked back, for now.

Hearts have taken on too many average players on inflated wages in recent seasons. We’re still complaining about many of those decisions now. Other clubs have out performed us with nothing like the resources we have had. We’ve bemoaned this constantly over the last few seasons.

Whilst it would be great to have brought in players by now, it’s probably more important that our club shows agents and players that it’s not going to pay inflated wages anymore, especially after the financial hit that all clubs have suffered through Covid. 
We must draw a line over what has gone on in the recent past, and stop filling the squad with players who are not up to the standard, in ability, desire and talent, just because we couldn’t afford the initial targets.

We want players who want to come to Hearts and who know what playing for Hearts should mean to them. The holiday camp mentality of so many of our signings in recent years is what caused our demotion. If it means being patient and not being quite ready for the league season starting, then so be it. The season lasts 10 months and is a marathon, not a sprint. 
We need to make good recruitment decisions, not panic ones.

2 hours ago, pointon said:

The most most sweeping statement so far is we have a transfer strategy i right we’re is it

The sheer irony of this disaster of a post on a thread about somebody being "clever" is superb :lol:

Keep it up lad, makes me feel infinitely better about myself seeing shite like this.

1 hour ago, May one-six said:

You make a lot of sensible points. I'm simply wary of a myth growing that the majority of Hearts fans are currently anti our head coach. I know there is a loud section that detest him, but I think that's a minority. I think most are willing to give him an opportunity to succeed, and very few who are big cheerleaders. That's all imho, of course.

There was a poll on here that had 96% wanting him to go, higher than CL in his worst moments. 

All the guys I go to games with & most people I talk to in The Tynecastle Arms want him to go. What makes you think it's a minority? 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

You made that up, but "bonuses" is a bit vague. 

Could be £50, £500 or £2k. 

No idea what the bonus structure is. Wouldn't want to depend on it this season. 

47 minutes ago, iainmac said:

There was a poll on here that had 96% wanting him to go, higher than CL in his worst moments. 

All the guys I go to games with & most people I talk to in The Tynecastle Arms want him to go. What makes you think it's a minority? 

I agree with this, but I think the vast majority of fans who want him out don’t detest him, just think he isn’t up to the job

7 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

I agree with this, but I think the vast majority of fans who want him out don’t detest him, just think he isn’t up to the job

fair enough but, in my circle, it's not a myth that the majority are anti Neilson.

9 minutes ago, iainmac said:

fair enough but, in my circle, it's not a myth that the majority are anti Neilson.

But pro lets get behind Hearts? You are a well connected man surely you can separate not wanting Neilson and supporting the club

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Basic £1500 plus bonuses. 

Is that for every single player? No matter age, experience or position? 
I believe you. 😵💫

35 minutes ago, sadj said:

But pro lets get behind Hearts? You are a well connected man surely you can separate not wanting Neilson and supporting the club

Of course.

7 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Aye right so you thought you would just come on and slaughter a true Hearts legend just to be smart!

We have had this discussion before. You have your views I have mine. Doesn’t change the fact that what I suggested has been an issue for a long time not just during the third coming. 

6 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Slaver110 believes everything he's told and it's usually a load of shite.

Depends who I get it from though doesn’t it. That’s the issue. 

RasberryJam

I like Savage and I'm confident he'll pull off a few quality signings for us however a few days before our league opener against Celtic we really ought to have done the majority of our activity in this window. 

Even if we do sign someone before Saturday, they need time to settle and may require match fitness.

May one-six
3 hours ago, iainmac said:

A poll on here is a snapshot of the feelings of a minority of Hearts fans at a particular moment in time. It can't be regarded as a true indication of the opinion of most supporters for all sorts of reasons - it's self selecting, there is no way of verifying if the person giving their opinion is a supporter etc etc. The same with your mates and drinking buddies in the Tynie Arms - you're a part of the fan base, but not all of it. The reason I think it's a minority is that I see no indication of a groundswell of anti Robbie feeling. It might be that the majority are resigned to the situation - there's no way of telling. But football fans tend to be pretty demonstrative and noisy when something's going at their club that they don't like.

Some people are constantly demanding Robbie's head, but on here anyway, it seems to me that it's the same group of people time after time and not the majority of members.

3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

No idea what the bonus structure is. Wouldn't want to depend on it this season. 

I'm still waitiing on Raith  going 'on a run'

2 minutes ago, May one-six said:

A poll on here is a snapshot of the feelings of a minority of Hearts fans at a particular moment in time. It can't be regarded as a true indication of the opinion of most supporters for all sorts of reasons - it's self selecting, there is no way of verifying if the person giving their opinion is a supporter etc etc. The same with your mates and drinking buddies in the Tynie Arms - you're a part of the fan base, but not all of it. The reason I think it's a minority is that I see no indication of a groundswell of anti Robbie feeling. It might be that the majority are resigned to the situation - there's no way of telling. But football fans tend to be pretty demonstrative and noisy when something's going at their club that they don't like.

Some people are constantly demanding Robbie's head, but on here anyway, it seems to me that it's the same group of people time after time and not the majority of members.

If fans had been in the ground I'm pretty confident that you would have seen "a groundswell of anti Robbie feeling". 

Whilst I agree that this doesn't cover the entire fan base, I gave you 3 separate pieces of feedback about how people viewed the manager. 

Where's your evidence for that being "a myth"? 

3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

If fans had been in the ground I'm pretty confident that you would have seen "a groundswell of anti Robbie feeling". 

Whilst I agree that this doesn't cover the entire fan base, I gave you 3 separate pieces of feedback about how people viewed the manager. 

Season ticket sales would suggest they predictions from the doom and gloom brigade about renewals falling off a cliff were complete shite.

Lone Striker
Just now, iainmac said:

Sure, there are many folk who dislike Robbie to the point of wanting him gone immediately.  There are many others who believe that he deserves a shot at the Premiership based on his very decent 3.5 year league record with us.   

The one thing both camps probably have in common though   is  an acknowledgement that Hearts are capable of attracting a "better" manager.   

* Better - more adventurous/inspiring (imo)

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Season ticket sales would suggest they predictions from the doom and gloom brigade about renewals falling off a cliff were complete shite.

I've no idea what you're referring to. Who is the doom & gloom brigade? 

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Really only clarifies, as ever,  the loyalty of the support to the club rather than any vindication of Neilson. Years of mismanagement sees us in this position seeking to ' consolidate in the top league' with a coach the profile of which is more akin to a club that should have impoverished resources imo

2 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Sure, there are many folk who dislike Robbie to the point of wanting him gone immediately.  There are many others who believe that he deserves a shot at the Premiership based on his very decent 3.5 year league record with us.   

The one thing both camps probably have in common though   is  an acknowledgement that Hearts are capable of attracting a "better" manager.   

* Better - more adventurous/inspiring (imo)

Agreed. The bit in bold is the basis of my questioning of the poster who thought that it was a myth. 

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

Really only clarifies, as ever,  the loyalty of the support to the club rather than any vindication of Neilson. Years of mismanagement sees us in this position seeking to ' consolidate in the top league' with a coach the profile of which is more akin to a club that should have impoverished resources imo

Yes, but the doommongers assured us season tickets were going to bomb!  Why should we listen to any of the shite they post?

May one-six
11 minutes ago, iainmac said:

My evidence is your acknowledgement that your pieces of feedback don't cover the entire fanbase.

Just now, May one-six said:

My evidence is your acknowledgement that your pieces of feedback don't cover the entire fanbase.

So it's a myth then? 

May one-six
Just now, iainmac said:

So it's a myth then? 

It's certainly not a 'fact' that the majority of Hearts supporters want Robbie gone. It's the opinion of you and your mates and some people on JKB.

3 hours ago, sadj said:

Such is the binary world that some live in and are happy to myth make that you can't be anti RN but pro Hearts.

RN not for the majority of my friends but they all want Hearts to win.

4 minutes ago, Boris said:

Such is the binary world that some live in and are happy to myth make that you can't be anti RN but pro Hearts.

Unfortunately there is a lot on here who can’t seperate the two things.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Nuance must be a skill. Who knew?

13 minutes ago, May one-six said:

It's certainly not a 'fact' that the majority of Hearts supporters want Robbie gone. It's the opinion of you and your mates and some people on JKB.

These are real pieces of feedback I've given you. You've given me "ah but it's not the whole fanbase", which I don't think anyone claimed it was. 

I guess we'll soon see when crowds fully return if performances & results don't improve. 

15 minutes ago, Boris said:

Exactly. I want RN gone but I still renewed my ST. 

2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

These are real pieces of feedback I've given you. You've given me "ah but it's not the whole fanbase", which I don't think anyone claimed it was. 

I guess we'll soon see when crowds fully return if performances & results don't improve. 

To be fair results are pretty good. Not sure how you improve however many wins it is on the bounce

Lone Striker
6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Agreed. The bit in bold is the basis of my questioning of the poster who thought that it was a myth. 

👍  It might be a  majority that want him gone now  ... or it might not.  It doesn't really matter.    Mrs B won't be firing him unless things get really bad.

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

To be fair results are pretty good. Not sure how you improve however many wins it is on the bounce

Mostly against lower level opposition but I'll give you that. 

May one-six

These are real, but limited, pieces of feedback you've given. This whole discussion started because there was a claim that the majority of the supporters wanted Robbie gone. You've provided no evidence that's true.

Of course, if things go tits up over the next couple of months Robbie is likely to be given the elbow - but that's the case for lots of managers. 

To keep on nitpicking 😉, I'd say it's possible for performances to improve, but difficult for results to get better than they've been. We're on a long unbeaten run and Craig Gordon has just broken the record for competitive shutouts.

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

👍  It might be a  majority that want him gone now  ... or it might not.  It doesn't really matter.    Mrs B won't be firing him unless things get really bad.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I shudder to think what her definition of "really bad" is though. 

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

You can only beat what is in front of you but are there any wins that convince that it will continue regularly against top league opposition? Improvement to the squad can only provide such confidence. I doubt at present it is robust enough

Lone Striker

Unfortunately, I think you're right. I shudder to think what her definition of "really bad" is though. 

Me too !!!   😲         

7 minutes ago, May one-six said:

These are real, but limited, pieces of feedback you've given. This whole discussion started because there was a claim that the majority of the supporters wanted Robbie gone. You've provided no evidence that's true.

Of course, if things go tits up over the next couple of months Robbie is likely to be given the elbow - but that's the case for lots of managers. 

To keep on nitpicking 😉, I'd say it's possible for performances to improve, but difficult for results to get better than they've been. We're on a long unbeaten run and Craig Gordon has just broken the record for competitive shutouts.

I've provided you with 3 instances of different groups wanting Neilson gone - you've provided nothing to back up your claim that "anti Neilson feeling is a myth". I'll leave it at that. 

As for results getting better, I take it you were happy with a 1 goal victory over ICT - Cove put 3 past them - lining up a glamour tie to Parkhead? 

Edited by iainmac

May one-six
1 minute ago, iainmac said:

I've provided you with 3 instances of different groups wanting Neilson gone - you've provided nothing to back up your claim that "anti Neilson feeling us a myth". I'll leave it at that. 

As for results getting better, I take it you were happy with a 1 goal victory over ICT - Cove put 3 past them - lining up a glamour tie to Parkhead? 

To be clear at no point did I say that anti-Neilson feeling is a myth. You're making things up now. As for results, it would have been good if we'd avoided a trip to Parkhead, but if we are still unbeaten after that, I will be chuffed.

4 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Is that for every single player? No matter age, experience or position? 
I believe you. 😵💫

That's what's being offered as new contracts from this coming season. 🤗

51 minutes ago, sadj said:

There's even some who can't separate a Savage thread from a Neilson thread!

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Who knows, but her definition of "really bad" probably isn't winning our first 4 competitive games very comfortably with a team and manager that is, if you believe people on here, completely shit.

Guest ToqueJambo
27 minutes ago, iainmac said:

I've provided you with 3 instances of different groups wanting Neilson gone - you've provided nothing to back up your claim that "anti Neilson feeling is a myth". I'll leave it at that. 

Three different groups? Loons, bampots and pant wetters? We'd be a complete laughing stock if we sacked our manager now. No decent manager would touch us with a bargepole.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

We have had this discussion before. You have your views I have mine. Doesn’t change the fact that what I suggested has been an issue for a long time not just during the third coming. 

I would seriously doubt you know Jim Jeffries as well as I do. 
Just to clarify, you are saying he cannot be trusted with confidential information when he is in the employ of Hearts - is that what you are accusing him of?

Lone Striker
14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Three different groups? Loons, bampots and pant wetters? We'd be a complete laughing stock if we sacked our manager now. No decent manager would touch us with a bargepole.

😉   That would be soooooo Romanov of Ann if she did that !!

Brauhauser2012
5 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think most of us will have the opinion that the current squad isn’t strong enough to make any major impact this season. A few additions and a couple of exits are still required, but I can’t say that my confidence in the new recruitment setup has been knocked back, for now.

Hearts have taken on too many average players on inflated wages in recent seasons. We’re still complaining about many of those decisions now. Other clubs have out performed us with nothing like the resources we have had. We’ve bemoaned this constantly over the last few seasons.

Whilst it would be great to have brought in players by now, it’s probably more important that our club shows agents and players that it’s not going to pay inflated wages anymore, especially after the financial hit that all clubs have suffered through Covid. 
We must draw a line over what has gone on in the recent past, and stop filling the squad with players who are not up to the standard, in ability, desire and talent, just because we couldn’t afford the initial targets.

We want players who want to come to Hearts and who know what playing for Hearts should mean to them. The holiday camp mentality of so many of our signings in recent years is what caused our demotion. If it means being patient and not being quite ready for the league season starting, then so be it. The season lasts 10 months and is a marathon, not a sprint. 
We need to make good recruitment decisions, not panic ones.

Totally agree. Shit players on 3 year contacts has been a big issue and we need to stop it and bring in quality over quantity.

29 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If you're unemployed you'd certainly consider it.