How clever does Savage look now?

HEARTS FOREVER

We have some real problem areas in the team developing. 

my big hope was Haring would recapture his form and fitness and McEneff would kick on. 

They by all accounts are going backwards which means we are devastatingly poor in central midfield. 

Also as has been stated a few times on here, Souttar goes out injured and all of a sudden we change shape. That is really not a good sign at all. 

RB/RWB is also embarrassingly short of cover and even quality. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Bazzas right boot

• HEARTS FOREVER

• GinRummy

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Thought he was poor today compared with normal.

I just think halkett looks a poorer player than he did at Livingston which makes no sense at all.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

No because a journeyman player like duku made halkett look jittery.

I didn't think he got the better of him, one early lunge had me thinking but he was ok after that, maybe not tested enough

BackOfTheNet

Listen, I’m quite vocal on the transfers thread about the lack of transfers happening being an issue. But it was never about the group stage, I’m not going to bash anyone over the head for that. Let’s get some perspective. My main concern is the league and that to get up and running in the league it would be beneficial if we had the signings we need in earlier. And I’ll continue to have my concerns over lack of transfers as it relates to the league season ahead but come on, the League Cup performances (and certainly results) aren’t the bat to hit anyone with.

14 minutes ago, Aaron78 said:

Why? Would he have scored that second goal for us? Or conceded less than Gordon has this season? You can't sign players to not play against you so that's a pretty silly statement...

The Glasgow arsecheeks do.

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, 1953 said:

Savage said in his interview that they are chasing several players but nobody will know about them until it's scarf over the head time and I've no reason not to believe him. Time will tell but having said that I'd have liked a couple more  scarf over the head moments before now.

Do you have a link to the interview?

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
3 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

well he hasn't spaffed a fortune on second rate crap so that is a plus... appreciate he isn't done yet though.

Makes a change from the usual raft of utter injury prone dross we've shipped in over the past few seasons. 

Its actually staggering how shite our scouting has been when you compare it to the jj 98 era when he was working on a shoestring budget and somehow unearthed rousset, Bruno, salvatore, Adam etc plus signing amazing scottish players. (yes I know he also signed the likes of eskillson haha but nobody could have predicted that!!) 

If Savage brings in 3 or 4 quality guys then fair play for playing the long game and getting the right folk. If he doesn't, then we have a problem. At the moment, I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt as there's another 4 weeks. 🤞

2 hours ago, Homme said:

No luck yet mate. They're so snowed under I feel bad for pushing it. But I'll keep at it when the time is right. 

Appreciate it , thank you

39 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Makes a change from the usual raft of utter injury prone dross we've shipped in over the past few seasons. 

Its actually staggering how shite our scouting has been when you compare it to the jj 98 era when he was working on a shoestring budget and somehow unearthed rousset, Bruno, salvatore, Adam etc plus signing amazing scottish players. (yes I know he also signed the likes of eskillson haha but nobody could have predicted that!!) 

Bruno, Salvatori and Adam weren’t on peanuts though. 
Bruno was paid a lot of money together with no limit tabs at a certain Italian restaurant. Don’t get me wrong he was worth every penny but these guys were in a lot more than what we pay now over 20 years later.

shoestring budget ? it most certainly wasnt 

the Hearts way

Not seeded, not good but if we're winning this cup, then we'd have to play/beat Celtic at some stage! No ?

If my memory is correct,  we deserved to beat them in the Scottish Cup final last time. 😤.  

Only Hearts and we always do it the (hard)

Hearts way. 

FTA 

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Bruno, Salvatori and Adam weren’t on peanuts though. 
Bruno was paid a lot of money together with no limit tabs at a certain Italian restaurant. Don’t get me wrong he was worth every penny but these guys were in a lot more than what we pay now over 20 years later.

shoestring budget ? it most certainly wasnt 

It was back in the day where nearly every club was paying out big bucks.

Phil D. Corners
6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

He brought GMS to the club.  

Can Savage really claim GMS as one of his signings. They officially arrived at the club days apart. 

I thought the coronavirus thread was bonkers but the terrace is now beating it hands down. Surely, surely, most of these posters can't be Hearts fans. 

7 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Listen, I’m quite vocal on the transfers thread about the lack of transfers happening being an issue. But it was never about the group stage, I’m not going to bash anyone over the head for that. Let’s get some perspective. My main concern is the league and that to get up and running in the league it would be beneficial if we had the signings we need in earlier. And I’ll continue to have my concerns over lack of transfers as it relates to the league season ahead but come on, the League Cup performances (and certainly results) aren’t the bat to hit anyone with.

Far too sensible for this car crash of a thread 

David McCaig
7 hours ago, hearts00 said:

my big hope was Haring would recapture his form and fitness and McEneff would kick on. 

They by all accounts are going backwards which means we are devastatingly poor in central midfield. 

Also as has been stated a few times on here, Souttar goes out injured and all of a sudden we change shape. That is really not a good sign at all. 

Haring was excellent after coming on yesterday.

Leveins Battalion

In my mind Joe Savage has been involved in 5 signings.

GMS quality

Kastaneer Awfull

McEneff Poor

Gnanduillet meh

Cochrane looks decent.

Not great so far.

7 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Do you have a link to the interview?

It's got it's own thread, on page 3 now. " Joe Savage interview, brilliant"

5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

It was back in the day where nearly every club was paying out big bucks.

Aye. It was all relative.  Most clubs had a tab with the bank.  The old firm were signing known players, we could sign the best upcoming players in Scotland and players in their latter years who were well known in football too.

Now, the old firm are signing plenty loan players over the seasons , paying out daft fees for duds who leave a season later.  We and other smaller clubs to a lesser extent aswell.   Hearts just acted in the conditions as they were in the 90s.  

29 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye. It was all relative.  Most clubs had a tab with the bank.  The old firm were signing known players, we could sign the best upcoming players in Scotland and players in their latter years who were well known in football too.

Now, the old firm are signing plenty loan players over the seasons , paying out daft fees for duds who leave a season later.  We and other smaller clubs to a lesser extent aswell.   Hearts just acted in the conditions as they were in the 90s.  

Spot on 👍

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

I thought the coronavirus thread was bonkers but the terrace is now beating it hands down. Surely, surely, most of these posters can't be Hearts fans. 

The OP is 100 percent a Hearts fan through and through.

I'm bored with nae signings.  Make sure the door doesn't hit you on the bottom on the way oot Joe.  You have been an abysmal failure and I'd rather have Joe Barton than Joe Savage.

Time to open another bottle.

Byyy The Light
8 hours ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

You know you are comparing an era that is now 23 years ago...

May as well be 70 years based on how much the football world has moved on since those days.  In monetary terms and appeal, we're the equivalent of what Arbroath were back then (in a UK context).

OmiyaHearts

Blimey, what a mad read first thing in the morning.

I'm not confident about this season at all, can't remember last time my expectations were this low but I'll leave it at that!

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm bored with nae signings.  Make sure the door doesn't hit you on the bottom on the way oot Joe.  You have been an abysmal failure and I'd rather have Joe Barton than Joe Savage.

:berra: Dinnae be daft.

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Can Savage really claim GMS as one of his signings. They officially arrived at the club days apart. 

He was involved in it, yes.

Ainsley Harriott
3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Jesus wept

The Ultimate Worrier
17 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Is it 31st August already? Happy birthday to me. 

Many happy returns, did you get anything nice?

JamboAndrew

What if, and this would be crazy, he is not doing deals unless they improve us. So he's turned down the holds of agents touting journeymen. And is going after specific targets. A harder strategy, especially with our budget and recent league placings. But, maybe he wont recruit for the sake of it as he has seen what's happened in recent years.

A random guess, as he doesn't have to report to me. But if that were the case I'd be happy with the current situation. I'd rather have nothing than most of the crap we have had over recent years.

Rogue Daddy
11 minutes ago, JamboAndrew said:

What if, and this would be crazy, he is not doing deals unless they improve us. So he's turned down the holds of agents touting journeymen. And is going after specific targets. A harder strategy, especially with our budget and recent league placings. But, maybe he wont recruit for the sake of it as he has seen what's happened in recent years.

A random guess, as he doesn't have to report to me. But if that were the case I'd be happy with the current situation. I'd rather have nothing than most of the crap we have had over recent years.

I think this is absolutely the case. In his interview, he came over as quite bullish, stating that the club would not be held to ransom and players looking for more would be told to 'jog on'. While I think this is a good way to keep our 'house in order'... I'm not sure being bullish 100% of the time is wise... especially when dealing with the fragile egos of todays professional footballer.

Of course, in practice, he may use a bit more tact than what he alluded to... but it would be interesting to know just how close we have been to signings, only to tell them to 'jog on' at the final hurdle.

Personally, I think it's a good move (on the face of it) to have someone like him on board - and i would give him another couple of windows - especially now that he has his personnel in place, before judging.

44 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I think this is absolutely the case. In his interview, he came over as quite bullish, stating that the club would not be held to ransom and players looking for more would be told to 'jog on'. While I think this is a good way to keep our 'house in order'... I'm not sure being bullish 100% of the time is wise... especially when dealing with the fragile egos of todays professional footballer.

Of course, in practice, he may use a bit more tact than what he alluded to... but it would be interesting to know just how close we have been to signings, only to tell them to 'jog on' at the final hurdle.

Personally, I think it's a good move (on the face of it) to have someone like him on board - and i would give him another couple of windows - especially now that he has his personnel in place, before judging.

He also put his own head on the chopping block by saying he would be judged by his signings.

3 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

He was involved in it, yes.

I'm sure I read somewhere that JS was alerted via a newspaper article rather than his network of contacts about GMS. 

So he was definitely involved. 

So we have binned the man before a ball is even kicked in anger? Aye good.

Never change JKB. Mad as a bag of cats!

The window is still open and there's the January window as well but let just sack him now eh?

:vrface:

7 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Haring was excellent after coming on yesterday.

Was he? What I saw he just played simple pass nothing to shout about, if gets a start next few games and does not impress he will be a goner.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So we have binned the man before a ball is even kicked in anger? Aye good.

Never change JKB. Mad as a bag of cats!

The window is still open and there's the January window as well but let just sack him now eh?

:vrface:

Folk must be at it. 

No way can they seriously hold these opinions. 

I think folk just want to outdoo each other in the drama stakes, it's just gone too far now. 

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

If Savage brings in 3 or 4 quality guys then fair play for playing the long game and getting the right folk. If he doesn't, then we have a problem. At the moment, I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt as there's another 4 weeks. 🤞

Again, another sensible post in amongst the mad, weird and wonderful. 

Fort Vallance
18 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Ask again when the window closes. Might want to change your pants to 

While I don't  agree with the OP I can't agree with that either. We've got huge games before the window closes and I for one don't want to be rooted after four games.

All this I shouldn't need to sell this club to anyone chat.I just need to show them a video of a cup win.

I fully expect he is working a lot harder than that to get folk here and I hope he is too.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Fort Vallance said:

While I don't  agree with the OP I can't agree with that either. We've got huge games before the window closes and I for one don't want to be rooted after four games.

I'd rather that than have 10 shite players on 3/4  year deals just so a few folk on here feel better about themselves. 

There is no reason why we need to be rooted after 4 games either. 

This squad is good enough to take points of teams and win games. 

A lot of the chat on here and elsewhere in the past few years has been about quality over quantity, the club finally looks to have listened and are trying to do that, but now people are demanding bodies, 'Sign Someone!' etc.

The club cannot win.

Fort Vallance
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd rather that than have 10 shite players on 3/4  year deals just so a few folk on here feel better about themselves. 

There is no reason why we need to be rooted after 4 games either. 

This squad is good enough to take points of teams and win games. 

Your first paragraph is spot on. However the first three home games are as hard as it gets and I've got absolutely no confidence that we can beat anyone away from home.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

A lot of the chat on here and elsewhere in the past few years has been about quality over quantity, the club finally looks to have listened and are trying to do that, but now people are demanding bodies, 'Sign Someone!' etc.

The club cannot win.

100%

I'm a bit concerned by the timing, but most wanted our recruitment methods and direction to change, we have done that. 

Why not give it time before judging?

It adds weight to the view that some just moan for the sake of it. 

The don't actually want change, they just want to moan. 

Transfers, season tickets, ballots, the new stand, anything - some folk just want to moan. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Your first paragraph is spot on. However the first three home games are as hard as it gets and I've got absolutely no confidence that we can beat anyone away from home.

It is 3 out of the top 4 in the first 3 games! 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Teams at our level recruit window to window fundamentally I appreciate he is looking longer term with the staff he has brought in but he has had since January to get things in place for this window and nothing I will put my hands up if he pulls in a couple of quality signings before the window shuts but loosing faith by the week 

16 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Sorry but this is pant wetting of the highest order, we have no idea what midfield RN will play in the league and to say Haring and Mceneff are going backward could merely be you slating two players who were being rested for the bigger occasions to come.

As to the devastatingly poor midfield, did you miss the midfielder who came on and stole the show yesterday? 

And you don't believe MS is of any quality?

Edited by ericb

CloustonHMFC
19 hours ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

Sorry mate....don't know if you've noticed but the season has started.  👀

Yeah, you're right. The season has started and we've won 4 out 4 without conceding a goal. I'll take that.