*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

We’re finding new ways to fail to qualify for the knockout stages of tourneys !

It’s incredible really eh ! How the **** do we manage it ?

😕

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The Czechs had booked the Oriam as their base. Plus Hearts are now back for Pre-season.

They obviously felt Middlesbrough was the best option.

I'm pretty sure the Czech's and Croat's decided to fly home after every game mate, I'm sure I read someting about that before it all kicked off. 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm pretty sure the Czech's and Croat's decided to fly home after every game mate, I'm sure I read someting about that before it all kicked off. 

The Czechs had booked it. They probably did change their minds.

I would suggest the Oriam is not private enough for Steve Clarke.

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It does feel like we’ve been cursed somewhere. You can’t have this amount of misfortune over the years….
If it wasn’t for bad luck we’d get no luck at all ffs! :lol: 

1 hour ago, lou said:

I am banning myself in disgrace or taking the full plaudits and claiming to be ITK if its right 😉

:D 👍

south morroccan
30 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

25 of the 26 players were training this morning, if there were any issues then there wouldn't be 25 training, there would be less. 

I also don't understand why we're based in Middlesborough and flying to Scotland for two games, and London for the other, surely going through airports brings its own risks and also the extra travelling, I would have thought we'd be based in Scotland to cut down the risk. 

I hear that Dembele is also out of the French squad for the same reasons now too. 

Dembele is out with knee injury.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

It is a sport that is allowed under the covid rules and regulations so no problem playing it or even posting videos.............but of course in this media nonsense era easier to just remove the video than spending hours trying to explain to the ignorant

If you don't post videos, you avoid running the risk of generating headlines like this one. It makes far more sense to prevent issues rather than to have to firefight them and thus distract from the real tasks at hand. As I said before, there should have been a full social media ban during the tournament.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9708321/Andy-Robertson-swiftly-DELETES-video-playing-ping-pong-Covid-positive-Billy-Gilmour.html

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Check the rules.....god some on here need to be told what they are yet think they can post nonsense

Just out of interest is a conga and a singsong within the rules?

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yeah they cancelled their booking, not sure we didn't do the same but it looks  more secluded down there with a golf course on site etc. 

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah they cancelled their booking, not sure we didn't do the same but it looks  more secluded down there with a golf course on site etc. 

I understand the COVID regulations in England are more favourable and that had been factored into thinking, looks like that's going to be prescient...

Pasquale for King
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

I understand the COVID regulations in England are more favourable and that had been factored into thinking, looks like that's going to be prescient...

Which ones?

The Old Tolbooth
42 minutes ago, south morroccan said:

Dembele is out with knee injury.

Ffs, I'm having a mare today :facepalm: 

Japan Jambo
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Which ones?

No idea on specifics, read it on the context of the Czech's having decided not to use the Oriam a few weeks ago. Was left with the impression that things were a bit more tricky up the road.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

They pulled out due to the Scottish governments covid close contact rules as any positive could have took out multiple players. Croatia did the same thing as they were to be based in St Andrews 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

No idea on specifics, read it on the context of the Czech's having decided not to use the Oriam a few weeks ago. Was left with the impression that things were a bit more tricky up the road.

The Czechs said that if one player tested positive then the whole squad had to isolate, not sure if that’s correct as no team had to do this during the season. 
Did Fleck not test positive here before they flew abroad?
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/czech-republic-decide-against-edinburgh-20711261

Edited by Pasquale for King

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

All the best to Billy Gilmour. Disappointing for Scotland but his health comes first.

This

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Welcome, it’s very Scottish 😂

Stop peddling that nonsense narrative. The Germans just lost Thomas muller. Is that very "german" aye?🤔

I'm sick and tired of that s**** loser mentality. 

I would never say that's very "hearts".

I would 100% say that's very "hibs". 

Jambof3tornado

If gilmour is the only one out then so be it,lets crack on with the job in hand. No pathetic excuses of we were missing our best player. We've a squad for a reason.

18 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

Stop peddling that nonsense narrative. The Germans just lost Thomas muller. Is that very "german" aye?🤔

I'm sick and tired of that s**** loser mentality. 

I would never say that's very "hearts".

I would 100% say that's very "hibs". 

Oh get over yer self 

Gutted that Gilmour is missing as I was looking forward to how he matched up to Modric.  However the one player I think we can't do without is Tierney.   It was obvious we missed him v Czechs and on Friday he showed just how good he is.  His link play with Robertson is superb but it's his ability to carry the ball out from back that's vital.   

A_A wehatethehibs
16 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If gilmour is the only one out then so be it,lets crack on with the job in hand. No pathetic excuses of we were missing our best player. We've a squad for a reason.

Still so gutting though. Long time since I was looking forward this much to seeing a player, as much as watching him Billy tomorrow night. Of all the bloody players it could’ve been it had to be him. Won’t happen now sadly.

Just hope for a speedy recovery and 0 effects from the disease at all for the lad as has mostly been the case for his age group, mercifully. Many more class Scotland games ahead for him. 

2 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Rules? You can test negative for up until 10 days. Hence me saying if billy Gilmour positive test is legit. Mcginn and Robertson must self isolate. Those guys are close contacts. That’s the rules everyone else needs to follow unless footballers are under a different set of rules. 
the English health board investigating Gilmour close contacts as I type this so time will tell. If Robertson wasn’t in any danger of self isolating he wouldn’t have deleted his video he would have left it up. 

edit... Your correct. Regardless of coming into close contact with someone who has covid, not even the public need to self isolate if they don’t have symptoms. Research before I post in future like you say. 

Your edit is correct except for bloody school kids ☹️ ours sent home today as a close contact, PCR test done a wee while ago and has to self isolate for 10 days even if it is negative.

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

25 of the 26 players were training this morning, if there were any issues then there wouldn't be 25 training, there would be less. 

I also don't understand why we're based in Middlesborough and flying to Scotland for two games, and London for the other, surely going through airports brings its own risks and also the extra travelling, I would have thought we'd be based in Scotland to cut down the risk. 

I hear that Dembele is also out of the French squad for the same reasons now too. 

Don't know about Glasgow and Tees airports but at Edinburgh there is a separate building that can be used for private planes. I think they even use a different runway, the one at old Turnhouse where the cargo planes are.

RustyRightPeg
18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Why stop there? SM is just a hive of absolute nonsense.

All pro footballers ought to hand over access to their account to a PR firm, and never be allowed the password again until retirement.

Deprive them of a basic human right because they’re a professional in a sport that’s the spirit 👍🏽

1 minute ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Don't know about Glasgow and Tees airports but at Edinburgh there is a separate building that can be used for private planes. I think they even use a different runway, the one at old Turnhouse where the cargo planes are.

There is a separate bit for private jets at Glasgow. I’d imagine the bus goes through that gate and picks them up there. They use it for VIPs etc. 
They won’t be wandering through the terminal I reckon.

4 minutes ago, Boab said:

There is a separate bit for private jets at Glasgow. I’d imagine the bus goes through that gate and picks them up there. They use it for VIPs etc. 
They won’t be wandering through the terminal I reckon.

Same as Edinburgh then. 👍

1 minute ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Same as Edinburgh then. 👍

Yea, makes sense as well. Less than half an hour from their camp to Glasgow on a jet. 

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

From the Sky Sports football news page.

Screenshot_20210621-123653_Samsung Internet.jpg

Foden is also out for their next game - seemingly he is still in Billy’s back pocket……

JudyJudyJudy

Oh well looks like it’s not even worth watching the match then . Bloody disaster 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh well looks like it’s not even worth watching the match then . Bloody disaster 

:notsure:

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:notsure:

Lol Just on a downer about that bloody covid ! I believe there’s even a thread on this devoted to it ? 

Guest ToqueJambo

Gilmour out is huge. We haven't had a player for decades who already knows exactly where he's going to put the ball next when it's coming towards him, then he controls it and moves with or passes it in almost the same move and usually makes the right decision. Gutted for him but mostly for me. Now we have to move McTominay back up to CM probably and draft in one of our dodgy reserve defenders.

Edited by ToqueJambo

41 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Gutted that Gilmour is missing as I was looking forward to how he matched up to Modric.  However the one player I think we can't do without is Tierney.   It was obvious we missed him v Czechs and on Friday he showed just how good he is.  His link play with Robertson is superb but it's his ability to carry the ball out from back that's vital.   

Few times in that England game the two of them collided/almost collided going for a ball or a position. Its still not ideal but it has more positives than negatives. 

HillmanHearts
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Gilmour out is huge. We haven't had a player who already knows exactly where he's going to put the ball next when it's coming towards him, then he controls it and moves with or passes it in almost the same move and usually makes the right decision. Gutted for him but mostly for me. Now we have to move McTominay back up to CM probably and draft in one of our dodgy reserve defenders.

Or keep the shape and replace Gilmour with Armstrong. 

26 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Deprive them of a basic human right because they’re a professional in a sport that’s the spirit 👍🏽

A basic human right? Most people who actively work to help mental health in sport have very limited social media interaction. The ones who focus on money and business over peoples mental health however…..

Its difficult to limit use by younger players as its how they communicate. Even when sat next to each other 😉 but a basic human right is a hell of a stretch

niblick1874

Why didn't those that came on wetting themselves about a game of table tennis ask themselves why twenty two men can run around crashing into each other for ninety minutes but can't have a game of table tennis. I could understand if they had come on and asked that question, however. 

Common sense is a good thing. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Was looking forward to seeing Billy, but the tournaments not all

about him, and the game on Friday wasn’t all about him either. Others such as Mctominay McGinn and mcgregor and Adam’s were absolutely superb. The team managed to get this far without Gilmour including knocking out Serbia and looking pretty decent in that 2-2 with the Dutch.

If I were Clarke I would be having a good think about keeping that same back 3 as England because it was so comfortable on the ball and commanding, and just chuck Turnbull in as like for like with Gilmour. I have a feeling he’ll push Mctominay forward tho. Or it’ll be Armstrong in rather than Turnbull and I just don’t rate Armstrong’s mentality sometimes I just sense a slight something lacking there. Maybe this'll be the game for his hero performance, don’t feel he has ever really had one. 

27 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Posting photos of yer dinner and tapping 'like' when someone else does the same isn't a human right. Indeed, it's more of a human wrong.

🤣🤣 Always rely on you Jonesy. Hope all is well. I agree entirely on this. Look at my amazing new car i sold my wife and 5children for and still have 100k of debt on it. I cant afford repairs either but its way better than your paid of 10k second hand bmw.

Twitter - whats that im an ugly pathetic vile *****? Why thank you , you nameless person whos profile pic is a picture of a wall in yer mums basement who hasnt seen a pair of tits bar on the internetty. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was looking forward to seeing Billy, but the tournaments not all

about him, and the game on Friday wasn’t all about him either. Others such as Mctominay McGinn and mcgregor and Adam’s were absolutely superb. The team managed to get this far without Gilmour including knocking out Serbia and looking pretty decent in that 2-2 with the Dutch.

If I were Clarke I would be having a good think about keeping that same back 3 as England because it was so comfortable on the ball and commanding, and just chuck Turnbull in as like for like with Gilmour. I have a feeling he’ll push Mctominay forward tho. Or it’ll be Armstrong in rather than Turnbull and I just don’t rate Armstrong’s mentality sometimes I just sense a slight something lacking there. Maybe this'll be the game for his hero performance, don’t feel he has ever really had one. 

Turnbull could be a good shout especially for a must win game.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Or keep the shape and replace Gilmour with Armstrong. 

Probably, just a different player.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Turnbull could be a good shout especially for a must win game.

He was good vs the Dutch, I just feel in the international games, the element of surprise can be a big thing. Something these tactical European teams haven’t planned for. He is the young player of the year in Scotland. Would think after seeing what Gilmour done, the he would be absolutely chomping at the bit for a chance.But as I say, you would think Clarke will go for pushing Mctominay forwards, or Armstrong back in

16 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

Why didn't those that came on wetting themselves about a game of table tennis ask themselves why twenty two men can run around crashing into each other for ninety minutes but can't have a game of table tennis. I could understand if they had come on and asked that question, however. 

Common sense is a good thing. 

If someone would like to give a brief resume of what different Covid bubble Scotland is doing just now compared to qualifiers and league matches, where players have had to miss matches, when even in different rooms at night would be great.

There is of course common sense but more importantly the governing bodies' and national and local health rules that need to be followed which fundamentally determines self isolation rules and whether players miss games or not if an 'associated test positive.

31 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Lol Just on a downer about that bloody covid ! I believe there’s even a thread on this devoted to it ? 

Is there? Bloody hell. I'd stick well clear of it if there is.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Is there? Bloody hell. I'd stick well clear of it if there is.

Apparently so 😂

The Old Tolbooth

Armstrong back into the team, take out McGregor, stick on either Turnbull or Patterson for some width, and we have a good chance! 

August Landmesser
Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Armstrong back into the team, take out McGregor, stick on either Turnbull or Patterson for some width, and we have a good chance! 

I'd be inclined to make as few changes as possible; Armstrong is a straight swap for Gilmour, leave everyone else as they were at Wembley - Turnbull can come on for Armstrong at some point if necessary

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I'd be inclined to make as few changes as possible; Armstrong is a straight swap for Gilmour, leave everyone else as they were at Wembley - Turnbull can come on for Armstrong at some point if necessary

This is what I think. 

39 minutes ago, sadj said:

Few times in that England game the two of them collided/almost collided going for a ball or a position. Its still not ideal but it has more positives than negatives. 

I think they work very well together.  Well done Steve Clarke for finding a formation that fits them both in and allows them to be effective.  

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

So he was fully inoculated yet still tested positive? 

afaik none of the players have been vaccinated. Where’d you read that?

6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

If he’s in, Armstrong needs to play with his heart and instincts a bit more than his head on this occasion. Look at the heart shown by gilmour, he was absolutely fearless. Hopefully it rubs off on whoever takes that slot in the team. Sometimes feel Armstrong gets bogged down in keeping the ball, following orders and avoiding cock ups. What we need is that bit of instinct, take a chance and get forward into the box, have a crack at goal, get good delivery into the box, get the strikers in behind. Armstrong is due a goal for Scotland. Hope he can give us the performance we need I do think he will be selected.