*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

Fitzroy Pointon
25 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Shouted out "C'mon ya wee Hibs Fa*ny" 😁

:laugh:

A similar shout led to me having to explain to the Mrs that players who play internationally also play for club teams. Bless her, she has zero interest in football but threw herself into it last night. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

A similar shout led to me having to explain to the Mrs that players who play internationally also play for club teams. Bless her, she has zero interest in football but threw herself into it last night. 

My mrs is the same and was also getting very animated last night :rofl:

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Stephen O'Donnell was ****ing superb. 

He was, he played really well. We all give stick when we’re frustrated and you feel for him in that interview. Fair play to him. 

portobellojambo1
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes, it puts us in a position to potentially celebrate a significant achievement. I'll be dancing if we make it out the groups.

Nothing wrong with being impressed and proud of the performance and result last night, however. But as we saw with Hearts as recently as the demotion season, it's easy to raise your performance against your rivals. Let's see if Clarke can take us to Love Street on 11/3/20 and do the business now. 

We played very well last night, and as you say we just have to hope it wasn't just down to who we were playing last night, but more an indication of how we can and should play on Tuesday. People expressed concern pre match about the likes of Hanley and O'Donnell being in the side, but in their defence both performed very well. I also watched the earlier game yesterday between the Czech Republic and Croatia and the latter didn't show an awful lot in all honesty. There should be hope that we could successfully turn them over by a couple of goals and get our goal difference back to zero. The 4 bottom teams in each group will go out of the tournament, and 4 of the 6 sides who finish in 3rd place will go through and there are one or two other groups where the teams finishing in 3rd could end up with a negative goal difference which will benefit us. There is no reason to believe we cannot get a 2-0 win over Croatia if we approach the game in the right manner.

6 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

We played very well last night, and as you say we just have to hope it wasn't just down to who we were playing last night, but more an indication of how we can and should play on Tuesday. People expressed concern pre match about the likes of Hanley and O'Donnell being in the side, but in their defence both performed very well. I also watched the earlier game yesterday between the Czech Republic and Croatia and the latter didn't show an awful lot in all honesty. There should be hope that we could successfully turn them over by a couple of goals and get our goal difference back to zero. The 4 bottom teams in each group will go out of the tournament, and 4 of the 6 sides who finish in 3rd place will go through and there are one or two other groups where the teams finishing in 3rd could end up with a negative goal difference which will benefit us. There is no reason to believe we cannot get a 2-0 win over Croatia if we approach the game in the right manner.

Switzerland are on -3 with a point group A

Russia Finland and Denmark I reckon will all finish on 3 points, its virtually impossible for third to have 4 points

Ukraine and Austria can finish on 4 points with 0 goal difference

Slovakia will end up on 3 points in third.

Taking all the above into consideration we should qualify with any sort of win.  

John Findlay

I've just boarded the 13.09 Crewe to Edinburgh, here at Crewe station. Train originated at London Euston.

Safe to say my coach(coach E) is full of Scotland supporters returning from London. Not as boisterous as I thought they maybe.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He did, but I thought he was going to be sent off at one point. Brain fart he had arguing with the Ref. 

Passions running high, but ur right, he was chancing his luck for a spell. 

4 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

I actually thought he had a poor game and has looked knackered after about an hour in both games. Maybe hauling that arse about is catching up with him?

🤣 must be some weight. No wonder he was knackered. 

I thought they all played well tbf. A lot of work off the ball is needed to cramp the spaces, but I thought we done it brilliantly. It wasn’t that England were poor, didn’t play well etc it’s because we just didn’t let them play and shut them down 

we need to start converting some of these chances we are creating though - that’s the worry going into the Croatia game 

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Not my house. 😛 I'm at my mates in the Countryside. :👍

Ooo look i have “friends” type post imo 🤣

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I've just boarded the 13.09 Crewe to Edinburgh, here at Crewe station. Train originated at London Euston.

Safe to say my coach(coach E) is full of Scotland supporters returning from London. Not as boisterous as I thought they maybe.

I found all the celebrating of a 0-0 draw with an overhyped England team last night a bit cringey to be honest.  Just led with it on the UK news just now - fans celebrating a draw all night!  Maybe it’s an age thing as I used to expect to beat them or we at least used to always go into these games with as good a team as them if not better.  Shows how far we’ve fallen. 

Don’t get me wrong, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance last night but it was only a draw with England ffs!

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I found all the celebrating of a 0-0 draw with an overhyped England team last night a bit cringey to be honest.  Just led with it on the UK news just now - fans celebrating a draw all night!  Maybe it’s an age thing as I used to expect to beat them or we at least used to always go into these games with as good a team as them if not better.  Shows how far we’ve fallen. 

Don’t get me wrong, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance last night but it was only a draw with England ffs!

There was going to be a party last night win, lose or draw.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We were expected to get hammered according to the English media. We controlled much of that match and could have won with Clarke's team coming of age imo - what's not to like all things considered? 

The fact we have fallen and might be on the way back is why the fans are enjoying this. Folk need to drop the cringe. 

2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It was probably more the fact that if we had lost the game we were definitely out the competition so I guess to go down there in that type of circumstance and what was at stake was probably more the reason for the uphoria 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Awbdy Oot said:

There was going to be a party last night win, lose or draw.

I suppose that’s true.  

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Passions running high, but ur right, he was chancing his luck for a spell. 

🤣 must be some weight. No wonder he was knackered. 

I thought they all played well tbf. A lot of work off the ball is needed to cramp the spaces, but I thought we done it brilliantly. It wasn’t that England were poor, didn’t play well etc it’s because we just didn’t let them play and shut them down 

we need to start converting some of these chances we are creating though - that’s the worry going into the Croatia game 

This is what I see as our problem, too. I'm confident we are capable of outplaying Croatia but I can see us making three or four times the chances that Croatia might make and still them scoring while we don't, or we only score the one and get a draw.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

This is what I see as our problem, too. I'm confident we are capable of outplaying Croatia but I can see us making three or four times the chances that Croatia might make and still them scoring while we don't, or we only score the one and get a draw.

I’d have had the thumb in the squad. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

We were expected to get hammered according to the English media. We controlled much of that match and could have won with Clarke's team coming of age imo - what's not to like all things considered? 

The fact we have fallen and might be on the way back is why the fans are enjoying this. Folk need to drop the cringe. 

I expected to lose narrowly rather than get hammered (yes, the English media are a joke and no wonder we love it when they fail, as they always do) as we struggle to score goals and I’m not sure England are really capable of hammering anyone at a finals (other than than the likes of Panama) - they take care of the cannon fodder in qualifying but as soon as they come up against even half decent teams they invariably struggle.

I enjoyed the game and performance and had a few pints so enjoyed my evening but at full time I had a sense of that was an opportunity missed to beat them.  

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

We really need a top class striker to come through and develop.  It can make a hell of a difference to an average side.  Just typical our two top class players are both left backs!

3 hours ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Probably another central defender, if i was to guess 

Souttar is 18 months injury free and good performances away from getting a place in the squad, never mind being the defensive commander. My fear is he’ll never be the player he could have been now.

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Especially with the 3 extra places in the squad.  But then Gilmour might not have been in the squad!  Not sure if he was 1 of the 3 (I suspect that Patterson and Turnbull were 2 of them).  

AllyjamboDerbyshire
19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If fit, definitely. Only natural goal-scorer we've got, and even if his minds not in the right place playing for his country could be mentally easier for him than at his club.

11 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I expected to lose narrowly rather than get hammered (yes, the English media are a joke and no wonder we love it when they fail, as they always do) as we struggle to score goals and I’m not sure England are really capable of hammering anyone at a finals (other than than the likes of Panama) - they take care of the cannon fodder in qualifying but as soon as they come up against even half decent teams they invariably struggle.

I enjoyed the game and performance and had a few pints so enjoyed my evening but at full time I had a sense of that was an opportunity missed to beat them.  

In the cold light of day, now that the passion has died down a bit, it’s a game we would have won with just a bit more quality up front. Adams Dykes Nisbet doesn’t exactly strike fear into teams. One of them of course, might go on a run of goal scoring or find that bit extra that makes them an international striker of note. Below them you don’t really see much else we could try and Griffiths turning out the way he has is a big miss. I can’t think of any club at a decent level who has a young Scottish striker even worth giving a shot to. Maybe Shankland but he needs to move to re-start himself somewhere.

Just now, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

If fit, definitely. Only natural goal-scorer we've got, and even if his minds not in the right place playing for his country could be mentally easier for him than at his club.

yep even if he could only come on for the last 15-20 mins. all it would take is one chance or freekick and he would have a good chance of scoring

45 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hangovers might have something to do with that.

23 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You will just have to suck it and see.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
16 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We really need a top class striker to come through and develop.  It can make a hell of a difference to an average side.  Just typical our two top class players are both left backs!

We've often had the problem of having no natural goal-scorer, but in recent years we've had virtually nothing else either. We've now got a few I'd class as international class with a few that can up their game, as O'Donnell did last night. But still we find that Scotland's only natural goal-scorer, Griffiths, has problems that keep him out of the squad.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Switzerland are on -3 with a point group A

Russia Finland and Denmark I reckon will all finish on 3 points, its virtually impossible for third to have 4 points

Ukraine and Austria can finish on 4 points with 0 goal difference

Slovakia will end up on 3 points in third.

Taking all the above into consideration we should qualify with any sort of win.  

Let's hope so. It is equally possible that after todays' games Germany could find themselves in a position where they could be struggling along with the others you mention above

Edited by portobellojambo1

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Let's hope so. It is equally possible that after todays' games Germany could find themselves in a position where they could be struggling along with the others you mention above

I think Germany might go out this evening. 

49 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not sure it was simply the result that was being celebrated. For me it was 25,000 Scottish football fans on a party weekend they’ve waited a long time for and it was going to be a party win lose or draw. Football trips like that, getting beat or drawing doesn’t spoil it too much. Best football trip I’ve ever been on we got shafted 4-0 and we were up all night.

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not sure it was simply the result that was being celebrated. For me it was 25,000 Scottish football fans on a party weekend they’ve waited a long time for and it was going to be a party win lose or draw. Football trips like that, getting beat or drawing doesn’t spoil it too much. Best football trip I’ve ever been on we got shafted 4-0 and we were up all night.

Yes, I get that all the fans down in London were always going to party all night, I was meaning more up here at home, celebrating in the Grassmarket, etc.  Probably a lot to do with being able to get out after lockdown again too, it’s good to be able to enjoy ourselves again I suppose.  

54 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

That’s the danger this time round. It’s entirely a different situation to what we are used to, although we are still finding that we still try and do things the hard way. 

The difference in years gone by, is that we now seem to be in control of the games, not so much in possession, but certainly with chances created. The Stats suggest that we have probably had the most shots on goal, and potentially the best chances created out of the 4 teams in our group, and with 2 games played for each team. 

Fozzyonthefence
25 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I think Germany might go out this evening. 

Either Germany or Portugal could find themselves out on 3 points 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Either Germany or Portugal could find themselves out on 3 points 

Interesting point.  Play for erm a point? 

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Interesting point.  Play for erm a point? 

I can’t see Germany playing for a point after losing their first game.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think folk were celebrating that we still have a good chance of going through as opposed to the draw. 

If we got beat we were out( most thought we would), getting a draw v one of the tournament favourites gives us a decent chance of qualifying now. 

For example, If we drew at parkhead  and then had to beat Aberdeen at home next it would be cause for  celebration of sorts as we'd have been expecting a horsing and being knocked ut. 

Draw means nothing if we don't beat the Croatians tho. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Especially with the 3 extra places in the squad.  But then Gilmour might not have been in the squad!  Not sure if he was 1 of the 3 (I suspect that Patterson and Turnbull were 2 of them).  

It would have been nisbet who’d have missed out for me 

Some of my English buddies out here going nuts on fb due to the game last night. 

Not the same without the badge kissing mercenaries is it?

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It would have been nisbet who’d have missed out for me 

I’m not sure, Nisbet was already in the squad and had some game time but maybe it was either Griffiths or Nisbet.  I honestly don’t think Clark had any intention of using Gilmour, certainly not starting him and he’s had a complete u-turn.  Would explain why he hadn’t bedded him into the squad previously. 

19 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I can’t see Germany playing for a point after losing their first game.

especially if the hungary france score stays the same

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Just a niggle, but in the middle of a Hungary v France match, even with France trailing, the discussion by the commentators is about England's performance last night!

26 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Incredible atmosphere in Hungary, what a difference a full house makes. 

See Victor, better to embrace it than try and find fault...its called the beautiful game after all... 😉

48 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yes, I get that all the fans down in London were always going to party all night, I was meaning more up here at home, celebrating in the Grassmarket, etc.  Probably a lot to do with being able to get out after lockdown again too, it’s good to be able to enjoy ourselves again I suppose.  

Yeh I think there’s a bit more going on than celebrating a 0-0 draw whether it’s Grassmarket Greenwich or Greenock (or Gorgie)

Edited by JimmyCant

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

My mrs is the same and was also getting very animated last night :rofl:

My Mrs was the same and she's no even Scottish :lol: