*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

Big Slim Stylee
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Ooo look i have “friends” type post imo 🤣

Rare you come across a bothy with an upstairs, though.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone clever enough to work out what is required for Scotland to go through as minimum 3rd place? Obviously a win on Tuesday but from looking at other groups and remaining games 4pts alone should be enough?

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

See Victor, better to embrace it than try and find fault...its called the beautiful game after all... 😉

My wife calls me Victor.  Wait, do you know my wife?🤔

The more I reflect on that first game the more frustrated I am.  We conceded a freak goal and we were desperately unlucky not to score.

Imo, we were worth a point at least.

6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

The more I reflect on that first game the more frustrated I am.  We conceded a freak goal and we were desperately unlucky not to score.

Imo, we were worth a point at least.

I tend to agree. At the time of the weird goal we were knocking on the door for an equaliser. Shades of 96, where the Gascoigne goal came right after our missed penalty.

Maybe it’s better this way though? We have to win v Croatia, a draw’s no good. If we were sitting on 2 points, it would be too tempting for Steve Clarke to adopt a ‘safety first’ attitude as 3 draws might see us through (it was enough for Portugal in 2016) and that would invite disaster. This way we have to go out and play. So do Croatia, so they won’t park the bus either.

August Landmesser
32 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Anyone clever enough to work out what is required for Scotland to go through as minimum 3rd place? Obviously a win on Tuesday but from looking at other groups and remaining games 4pts alone should be enough?

We need as many teams on three points/as few on four as possible I think;

Ideally, I think we want wins for;

Italy and Turkey in Group A

Belgium and Russia, or Belgium and Denmark in B (but no more draws)

Ukraine and Netherlands in C

Czech Republic and Scotland (obvs!) in D

Don't know E yet,

Germany winning twice, and France winning again I think works in F

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

Is Dykes the worst forward in the tournament ?

Nisbet. 

John Findlay
42 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

Is Dykes the worst forward in the tournament ?

Nae worse than Harry Kane or Karim

Benzema to date.

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nisbet. 

He's getting better month on month.  I think he's Robbo like and will be away from Hibs this summer so like McGinn hard to dislike that much. 

Plenty on here said McGinn was shite too mind. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

He's getting better month on month.  I think he's Robbo like and will be away from Hibs this summer so like McGinn hard to dislike that much. 

I’d rather have Nisbet than Gnando that’s for sure. If Nisbet got himself in top shape he’d be decent at a reasonably big club. Robbo like though ? Seriously ? I suppose like Robbo he has trouble keeping the weight down but FFS get back to me when he’s scored double figure derby goals and we’ll chat.

10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d rather have Nisbet than Gnando that’s for sure. If Nisbet got himself in top shape he’d be decent at a reasonably big club. Robbo like though ? Seriously ? I suppose like Robbo he has trouble keeping the weight down but FFS get back to me when he’s scored double figure derby goals and we’ll chat.

He's movement and understanding the same as Robbo had.  Nowhere near his level, yet but hopefully there's more to come from him when he leaves Lochend. 

Not much doubt that the anglos are making a big difference, particularly the premier league anglos.  They play with and against better players every week.

Cue Aaron Hickey.  Who knows what lies ahead of that young man.  Shame about the position he plays though.  That's the one we've got well and truly covered.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

We need as many teams on three points/as few on four as possible I think;

Ideally, I think we want wins for;

Italy and Turkey in Group A

Belgium and Russia, or Belgium and Denmark in B (but no more draws)

Ukraine and Netherlands in C

Czech Republic and Scotland (obvs!) in D

Don't know E yet,

Germany winning twice, and France winning again I think works in F

We can afford the Swiss to win I think but only by a single goal.

38 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Last Laff? First laff more like and he who Laffs  last ,laffs longest , not doubting the lad[ive not seen much of him}

comparing him with HIM 🤔.    Boo

6 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

We can afford the Swiss to win I think but only by a single goal.

A draw on Tuesday will take both teams out 

The futures bright the future is tartan ... watched game last night in packed out pub with no sound, can't remember much about it to be fair as started on it early but just re-watched highlights and we done ok, setting myself up for glorious failure Tuesday night mind it's the Scotland way 🙃

9 minutes ago, maggieb said:

Last Laff? First laff more like and he who Laffs  last ,laffs longest , not doubting the lad[ive not seen much of him}

comparing him with HIM 🤔.    Boo

Nah there's no comparison. Theres traits though.

4 minutes ago, Vic Vespa said:

The futures bright the future is tartan ... watched game last night in packed out pub with no sound, can't remember much about it to be fair as started on it early but just re-watched highlights and we done ok, setting myself up for glorious failure Tuesday night mind it's the Scotland way 🙃

Full game

https://www.google.com/search?q=england+v+scotland+bbc+iplayer&oq=England+Scotland+ipl&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.9528j1j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ga-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

CloustonHMFC
2 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Group A

Switzerland v Turkey - A draw or Turkey win would see 3rd place on less than 4 points

Group B

Belgium v Finland - Belgium win would see 3rd place on less than 4 points

Group C

Ukraine v Austria - A win for either side would see 3rd place on less than 4 points

Group D

Scotland v Croatia- A win will see us finishing minimum 3rd with 4 points

Group E

Still up in air with the final game of round 2 to be played

Group F

France v Portugal - France win would see 3rd place finish with less than 4 points

We need two of the above (there will be other scenarios probably, this is just at a glance) to happen plus Scotland to win and we'll be guaranteed a next round slot from finishing 3rd. 

25 minutes ago, Vic Vespa said:

Full game on both itv and bbc players. 

1 hour ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Group A

Switzerland v Turkey - A draw or Turkey win would see 3rd place on less than 4 points

Group B

Group C

Ukraine v Austria - A win for either side would see 3rd place on less than 4 points

Group D

Group E

Group F

France v Portugal - France win would see 3rd place finish with less than 4 points

We need two of the above (there will be other scenarios probably, this is just at a glance) to happen plus Scotland to win and we'll be guaranteed a next round slot from finishing 3rd. 

Nerve jangling. Would be vintage Scotland to win and still be out.

1 hour ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Group E

Group F

what you are saying is we have a chance of knowing if just a win is enough by the time our game comes around (same goes for croatia)

Edited by milky_26

Guest ToqueJambo

3 hours ago, Last Laff said:

Lifetime ban for saying that surely!

By Nisbet's age now Robbo must have already scored over 100 top flight goals, including 3 or 4 20+ goal seasons, and had narrowly missed out on a league and cup double. There's no comparison at all whether you look at style of play, stats, achievements...

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Lifetime ban for saying that surely!

By Nisbet's age now Robbo must have already scored over 100 top flight goals, including 3 or 4 20+ goal seasons, and had narrowly missed out on a league and cup double. There's no comparison at all whether you look at style of play, stats, achievements...

He's got a bit of Robbo in him.  Settle pettle.  

2 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Group E

Group F

Denmark win would do in Group B as well.

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

He's got a bit of Robbo in him.  Settle pettle.  

Every single player that plays for Hibs has a bit of Robbo in them. His legend and deeds get in their heads within weeks of signing. That’s why we win derbies. It all started with Robbo

1 hour ago, Stanley_ said:

Denmark win would do in Group B as well.

In short, we’d have to see a massively unlucky and highly unlikely set of scenarios all playing out over 4 days for us to beat Croatia but fail to qualify .

So that’s probably what is going to happen.

Edited by JimmyCant

Hackney Hearts
6 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

If the Czechs were to win as well, there's a chance we could finish 2nd, right? (if one of the wins is by more than a single goal)

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20210619_213917.thumb.jpg.38df53bee95f1af02285b59a1831b542.jpg

I despise that excuse for a comlc.

******* rag.

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

In short, we’d have to see a massively unlucky and highly unlikely set of scenarios all playing out over 4 days for us to beat Croatia but fail to qualify .

So that’s probably what is going to happen.

Richard Gordon on Sportsound v. confident a win will see us through.

Followed that if as 3rd place team  there are 15 outcomes if which Scotland will be involved in 10, 5 of which lead us to playing Holland in Budapest.

13 hours ago, Tazio said:

Fishing 👆

Don't normally follow international football. Usually it's just the Euros finals and World Cup finals. Watched the game on Friday night and thought Scotland played very well and could easily have won the game. I thought Dykes was really poor. Looked at a few of the other strikers, from some of the lower ranking teams goals to games stats and Dykes are again pretty poor. As has been pointed out Rebic is worse.

Should be an enthralling game on Tuesday night. 

CloustonHMFC
5 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

If the Czechs were to win as well, there's a chance we could finish 2nd, right? (if one of the wins is by more than a single goal)

Czech win 1-0 and Scotland win 2-0 will see us finishing 2nd on goals scored.

It would be very unlikely that we didn't qualify by finishing 3rd with 4 points, imo. This is Scotland though so that's exactly what will happen.

Despite getting a lift from the england game it would be just like Scotland now to put in a great performance and fall just short in a 2-1 loss against the croats or something along those lines, hopefully I'm completely wrong with that. Any win would virtually see us through to the knockout phase, i just think its too much pressure for the players though, Croatia are still a very good team and they will be out to prove a point imo, i just hope we start the same team and give it a good go.

It's great that we finally have real cause for hope.  A win would be terrific and a double with Wales would be even terrificer.

We all have our favourites amongst the elite players and for me, Gareth Bale has been a standout for a long time now.  Love the bloke and hope he can get Wales over the line tomorrow.

Still worry about who can get the goals for Scotland but hopefully we can get one and that will be enough for 3 points.

BackOfTheNet

We have to be realistic, in many ways, when you look at the level of competition, the fact we haven’t scored a solitary goal at the Championships and Croatia need the win as badly as we do. Not sure what the bookies are saying but I don’t imagine they’ll be in our favour. But in complete contrast to that we have this huge air of confidence which makes me worry a bit. Technically it’s a massive ask for us to not just get a result but get the result we need with a win.

But there’s every chance by the time we play we’ll know a win will get us through. I don’t want a Morocco moment, or a beating Switzerland and not going through moment again. I don’t want a playing well and just falling short moment again. We need the defence to be a solid as they were against England, we need to keep Modric quiet in midfield and we need someone to nick a goal or two. I think with Adams up there it’s possible. It’s the hope that kills you though.

2 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Czech win 1-0 and Scotland win 2-0 will see us finishing 2nd on goals scored.

It would be very unlikely that we didn't qualify by finishing 3rd with 4 points, imo. This is Scotland though so that's exactly what will happen.

Yip.

As you said the vital games for us are the Swiss and Denmark games. A draw for the Swiss and a Denmark win leaves us a victory to qualify.

sounds easy ! 
😂

We have gone from amazing to shite to amazing again.

England have gone from exceptional to shite.

Germany have gone from shite to amazing and France and Portugal the opposite.

I think we need to manage expectations a wee bit, one game doesn't make or break a team. Once again we a doing exactly what we laugh at the English for thinking we are better than we are. Croatia will be rubbing the hands at having to play us and we need to work every bit as hard as we did on Friday to get anything.

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

We have gone from amazing to shite to amazing again.

England have gone from exceptional to shite.

Germany have gone from shite to amazing and France and Portugal the opposite.

I think we need to manage expectations a wee bit, one game doesn't make or break a team. Once again we a doing exactly what we laugh at the English for thinking we are better than we are. Croatia will be rubbing the hands at having to play us and we need to work every bit as hard as we did on Friday to get anything.

Croatia have never beaten Scotland and it's at Hampden, so why would they be rubbing their hands. I'm sure Serbia were rubbing their hands anaw. 

Scotland fans are happy we have a chance, nothing more, nothing less. Win we qualify for the first time ever. Happy days. 

Italy are the best team, whether they can beat France is anyone's guess. 

Oh and no home nation is winning the fecking thing. 

BackOfTheNet
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yip.

As you said the vital games for us are the Swiss and Denmark games. A draw for the Swiss and a Denmark win leaves us a victory to qualify.

sounds easy ! 
😂

Technically as long as Belgium beat Finland no other team in that group can finish 3rd with more than 3 points, so that’s the result we should be looking for.

6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Technically as long as Belgium beat Finland no other team in that group can finish 3rd with more than 3 points, so that’s the result we should be looking for.

Missed that.