*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

The Old Tolbooth

People are ruling out that we can still finish second in this group, the Czech's have a very poor record at Wembley, and I wouldn't be shocked if England were stupid enough to go out and thrash them by 3 or 4 to hype them all up again......before facing France, Germany, or Portugal in the next round, a one goal win my be enough for us depending on their result.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

People are ruling out that we can still finish second in this group, the Czech's have a very poor record at Wembley, and I wouldn't be shocked if England were stupid enough to go out and thrash them by 3 or 4 to hype them all up again......before facing France, Germany, or Portugal in the next round, a one goal win my be enough for us depending on their result.

We can't finish above the Czech Republic. We can finish above England but that would need them to lose and us to win.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Scotland can't finish above the Czech Republic

7 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

All a bit irrelevant Eldar.

Lookinng at each group, they all have potential 4pt 3rd placed teams.

Mondays two groups do have very good possibilities of each having 3rd placed having only 3 points.

Fingers crossed this happens.

Group B

Denmark & belgium to win

Group C

Austria or Ukraine to win (play each other, both on 3 pts)

Yeah the 3rd place situation is getting tight.  Swiss winning by 2 was a blow last night leaving us needing to win by 2 to finish above them (based on their goals scored).  Would be great if the Group B and C results worked out for us.  We could be in a situation where we need France to beat Portugal on Wednesday!!  All of this assuming we can win our game.  

HillmanHearts
55 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

If we finish same points as Czechs, does it go to goal difference or head to head ? I thought the latter. In which case it wouldn't matter if England hammer Czech they would still be 2nd. I'd like to be wrong though.

RustyRightPeg

Remarkable. Stating there's no close contacts, but Robertson posts a video of him playing table tennis with BG and McGinn yesterday. Gilmour was hiding behind McGinn holding onto him. I don't understand how this bloody virus works!!!

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Awbdy Oot said:

We can't finish above the Czech Republic. We can finish above England but that would need them to lose and us to win.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Scotland can't finish above the Czech Republic

Ah, cheers lads, I thought it was GD and not head to head in the group. 

Gutted about Gilmour, that's as cruel as it gets for both the lad himself and Scotland ffs. 😢

How can they say he hasn’t been in close contact with the rest of the squad? I really don’t understand how it all works.

7 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Gilmour tests positive. Just our luck.

If the squad is in a bubble, which it should have been for the last few weeks, that should be an impossibility. Someone has fecked up royally here.

FFS. Trying to see a silver lining in this cloud - he might have flopped after all the hype surrounding his Wembley performance, the Croats would no doubt have been working on strategies to nullify his impact etc - but failing.

1 minute ago, iantjambo said:

How can they say he hasn’t been in close contact with the rest of the squad? I really don’t understand how it all works.

They can't, but the show must go on.

And that's another reason to play you're strongest team in the first game when the players are available because you never know (more so with Covid) when they'll become unavailable.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

And that's another reason to play you're strongest team in the first game when the players are available because you never know (more so with Covid) when they'll become unavailable.

Indeed. The aim should have been 4 points from the the first 2 games, then sit back.

Салатные палочки

What happens to those who shared a room with him? I take it they'll need to isolate. 

Gordon Ramsay
6 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Baffles me as well. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

They can't, but the show must go on.

It’s an utter joke. My son can’t go to school as he’s been in close contact with someone in his class who’s tested positive. But someone who participates in a contact sport can test positive and it’s ok for the rest of the team to continue playing?

I don’t get it at all.

John Findlay

We take it on the chin, and get on with it. We know what we have to do, we just now have to do it without Billy Gilmour being available to us.

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

What happens to those who shared a room with him? I take it they'll need to isolate. 

They have their own rooms. I watched a video with open goal and Si asked whoever who do they share with think it was O'Donnell and he says due to covid they have their own rooms do not share . 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Watching the golf last night, Jon Rahm was remarkably calm about his misfortune, clearly worked as he got rewarded royally. Positive test followed by 2 negatives, but still took him out. 

Best think we can do, get Billy to swab and take the swab and put it on the salt shakers and teaspoons at Croatians base!

Салатные палочки
Just now, Stu_HMFC said:

They have their own rooms. I watched a video with open goal and Si asked whoever who do they share with think it was O'Donnell and he says due to covid they have their own rooms do not share . 

Well that's good to know 👍

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

Well that's good to know 👍

Unless it was Marshall haha I would like Gordon starting . 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. The aim should have been 4 points from the the first 2 games, then sit back.

Maybe that was the aim. There was no guarantee we would beat the Czechs regardless of the team we fielded. We got beat, that game has gone, we cant change the result. We drew with England, that game has gone, we cant change the result.

What we do have is a chance of qualifying if we beat Croatia. 

That is all our focus should be on. Getting three points from Croatia.

There is no point in crying over spilled milk.

5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

One possibility is that you don't need to isolate if you've been double jagged. I would have assumed that our whole squad, including the background boys and gals, would have received double vaccinations before the tournament, but don't know whether they did or not.

I'm assuming that they haven't given all the positive cases going on in the tournament but why haven't they been vaccinating the players ahead of this major tournament? Seems bonkers not to given the fact they are all travelling around the continent interacting with hundreds of folk.

Really unfortunate and questions need to be asked about how good out protocols are 

That said I do think we would really suffer if Tierney or Robertson were out as that is where our main attacking threat comes from.

Gilmour will be a loss but it's not the end of the world. I'd send him to the Croatia camp now to dish out some hugs.

Just now, lou said:

That's why I added hearing

I've not even seen anyone say that it is that or that they have heard it is that though. Purely just random comments suggesting that it could be a false positive.

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Maybe that was the aim. There was no guarantee we would beat the Czechs regardless of the team we fielded. We got beat, that game has gone, we cant change the result. We drew with England, that game has gone, we cant change the result.

What we do have is a chance of qualifying if we beat Croatia. 

That is all our focus should be on. Getting three points from Croatia.

There is no point in crying over spilled milk.

In that case, Gilmour if fit should have played in that first game. No-one's crying, just pointing out a mistake that was made, a mistake made more glaring by the current situation. We should be allowed to do that, no?

2 minutes ago, lou said:

That's why I added hearing

It still made it look as if you could have heard it from a legitimate source.

2 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

The England camp  will be relieved as the English players never got close to him to catch it .

:D

John Findlay
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

In that case, Gilmour if fit should have played in that first game. No-one's crying, just pointing out a mistake that was made, a mistake made more glaring by the current situation. We should be allowed to do that, no?

Say he played, and we still got beat, where would you go then?

Only two guarantees in life taxes and death.

ToadKiller Dog

Vaccination doesn't stop you from catching covid or passing it on .

Just unfortunate if its true ,he could easy have got it from cleaning staff ,hotel staff,  deliveries ,sitting in the wrong chair ,used cup anything nothing is 100% 

Just now, John Findlay said:

Say he played, and we still got beat, where would you go then?

Only two guarantees in life taxes and death.

We should have played our strongest team in the first game. Do you disagree with that?

August Landmesser

Firstly, I hope he's ok and recovers quickly

Secondly, ten days puts him out of the last 16 game as well, but he should be back for the QF

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It still made it look as if you could have heard it from a legitimate source.

Not at all, seen it on twitter, no claims of being in the know but if there is no mention as yet of other players isolating, it makes perfect sense, I seem to remember that was the case with Gogic last season for Hibs 

Edited by lou

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

Firstly, I hope he's ok and recovers quickly

Secondly, ten days puts him out of the last 16 game as well, but he should be back for the QF

Happy days then :lol: 

Love the optimism. 

7 minutes ago, Homme said:

Really unfortunate and questions need to be asked about how good out protocols are 

That said I do think we would really suffer if Tierney or Robertson were out as that is where our main attacking threat comes from.

Gilmour will be a loss but it's not the end of the world. I'd send him to the Croatia camp now to dish out some hugs.

Anyone can catch it and be unfortunate.

The protocols surround the close contacts outside of playing and training pitches and not effing that up for it to lead to multiple other self isolation requirements.

Not sure if it's the same 2m, 15 minute thing.

Playing effing table tennis.

6 minutes ago, lou said:

Not at all, seen it on twitter, no claims of being in the know but if there is no mention as yet of other players isolating, it makes perfect sense, of seem to remember that was the case with Gogic last season for Hibs 

'Hearing it was' and seeing a few random comments on Twitter, from people with no more information than me or you, suggesting it might be, are two very different things.

Anyway, time will tell. Hopefully it is a false positive and nobody else is affected.

Just now, lou said:

Not at all, seen it on twitter, no claims of being in the know but if there is no mention as yet of other players isolating, it makes perfect sense, of seem to remember that was the case with Gogic last season for Hibs 

Must be gen then.

Pretend this is Twitter. Gilmour's test was not a false positive. Good, now you can spread that around too. ;)

The SFA changed their rules to allow false positives off with isolation after the Gogic incident you mentioned and another incident when 3 Hamilton players had to isolate.