*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

I can't say I'm confident about Tuesday. Really hope the team prove people like me wrong, but I've seen this movie too many times before, and it doesn't end well. Also, if Hampden was full I might be a bit more confident - but with only 10,000 in there I almost felt as if that lifted the Czech Republic last week.

Edited by stirlo

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I can't say I'm confident about Tuesday. Really hope the team prove people like me wrong, but I've seen this movie too many times before, and it doesn't end well. Also, if Hampden was full I might be a bit more confident - but with only 10,000 in there I almost felt as if that lifted the Czech Republic last week.

Yup me to,however at least we have a chance so I'm Trying to stay positive....MON SCOTLAND!!!.

3 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Despite getting a lift from the england game it would be just like Scotland now to put in a great performance and fall just short in a 2-1 loss against the croats or something along those lines, hopefully I'm completely wrong with that. Any win would virtually see us through to the knockout phase, i just think its too much pressure for the players though, Croatia are still a very good team and they will be out to prove a point imo, i just hope we start the same team and give it a good go.

Croats haven’t turned up yet and settled for a point the other day obviously confident they will beat us. Despite being on the wane they still have 3-4 players who are a class above what we have so the team collective energy we saw at Wembley will need to be repeated and hopefully they don’t have it in them to raise their game. If what we’ve seen is all they’ve got then I think we can beat them but the BIG doubt for me is we haven’t scored a goal yet.

Of course I want us to win and get to the last 16....probably.

I can't help feeling people are not rating Croatia for some reason but we are the underdogs in this match who will need a mighty performance to win

Second half against the Czech Republic they played very well and whilst we can win let's not make assumptions that we will and we all know there is a twist or two to come based on our history at these points

Should the third-placed side progress from Group D, they will take on either the Group C winners in Budapest on the Sunday (17:00), the Group B winners later the same day in Seville at 20:00 or the Group E winners in Glasgow on the Tuesday (20:00).

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The only fly in the ointment that I can see is that we have to score at least one goal. 

can only hope we get a pen, although I don’t even know who would take it

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

can only hope we get a pen, although I don’t even know who would take it

Should have brought Griffiths specifically for this scenario.

Croatia are ranked 30 places above us in the FIFA rankings.

They're a good side with some good players.

But their best players are getting on a bit and this is their third game in 9 days.

They too will be looking for a win for 4 points and possible progression.

Czech republic was the "easy" game of the group and we royally fecked it up.

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

But their best players are getting on a bit and this is their third game in 9 days.

I thought the Czechs where better than Croatia. And the draw suited the Czechs more also. 

I hope Billy Gilmour has shown that the kids can cut it at International level, I realise he's a special talent, but we should be looking to try and push on young laddies who are holding down first team spots. If England can give various teenagers debuts then so can we. We have a much smaller talent pool to draw on so should be looking to utilise it. 

Hickey, Patterson, Gilmour would be a good start. 

I think as a nation there is an element of tall poppy syndrome for talented players and its all about not letting them get too big headed/keeping them humble. Its an awful approach and needs scrapped. Give youngsters the confidence they need to take their talent to the next level. 

1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

I thought the Czechs where better than Croatia. And the draw suited the Czechs more also. 

FIFA have Group D ranked as

England 4

Croatia 14

Czech Republic 40

Scotland 44

36 minutes ago, Cade said:

FIFA have Group D ranked as

England 4

Croatia 14

Czech Republic 40

Scotland 44

Yeah I get that mate, I was talking about on Friday.  Croatia have only won twice in the past couple years. Cyprus and Malta over the past 10 games. 

4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Yeah I get that mate, I was talking about on Friday.  Croatia have only won twice in the past couple years. Cyprus and Malta over the past 10 games. 

Aye, FIFA rankings are not any indicator of current form or performances.

Anybody that thinks England are the 4th best team in the world has been at the drinks cabinet. :thumb:

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Aye, FIFA rankings are not any indicator of current form or performances.

Anybody that thinks England are the 4th best team in the world has been at the drinks cabinet. :thumb:

:lol: top man.

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Cade said:

You keep saying it was the easy game of the group, that is being disrespectful to the Czechs. Shouldn't it have been the case of the Croats blown them away?

Everyone after the event saying that Che Adams should have started.

Che Adams blew two of our best chances against England, especially his first chance where he should have burst the net.

If Scotland dont qualify, it wont be through lack of trying, if we dont score, it wont just be at the door of Adam's, Dykes, and Nisbet. There are others in the team who chip in with goals, for their clubs, but havent for Scotland, Christie, Armstrong, McGinn for starters.

Let's hope on Tuesday everyone has their shooting boots on.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 18/06/2021 at 18:44, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think Paterson’s weaker part of his game is defending - O’Donnell had a shocker in an attacking sense on Monday but if he defends well tonight then that will be enough as England are strong down that side.

😃😉

23 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You keep saying it was the easy game of the group, that is being disrespectful to the Czechs. Shouldn't it have been the case of the Croats blown them away?

Che Adams blew two of our best chances against England, especially his first chance where he should have burst the net.

If Scotland dont qualify, it wont be through lack of trying, if we dont score, it wont just be at the door of Adam's, Dykes, and Nisbet. There are others in the team who chip in with goals, for their clubs, but havent for Scotland, Christie, Armstrong, McGinn for starters.

Czechs LOOKED the easiest game on paper. Turns out they are probably the best team in the group. Who’d have thunk it. We’re the weakest team in the group but we knew that before we started and we’re weak because we don’t score many goals at a high level. That’ll be the case until we discover an international class striker. 

Croatia still a decent team on paper. Hopefully they can’t handle a high tempo passion game. They haven’t looked all that interested so far which is strange to see in a Croatia team.

It’ll be close with one goal probably deciding it. We make enough chances. Time to slot one of them.

Edited by JimmyCant

Carl Weathers

Just wondering if anyone went to the Czech game and confirm if you really do have to go to the group 2hrs before kick off? Do you need to take ID as well? Seems like a total buzzkill arriving so early.

Stendelnator
3 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Just wondering if anyone went to the Czech game and confirm if you really do have to go to the group 2hrs before kick off? Do you need to take ID as well? Seems like a total buzzkill arriving so early.

It doesn’t seem to be mandatory 

Carl Weathers
37 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

It doesn’t seem to be mandatory 

Thanks. I had a look on the TA board and it does seem that no one checks. I'll probably try to get there by 6.30pm rather than 5.30pm. Still really early. 

46 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I did. 

Just rolled up at half 1 (30 mins early) and it was fine. Don't worry at all. 

47 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

Didn't need to show ID but had my driver's license on the off chance. 

Honestly so few people there that getting in is an absolute breeze. 

Tommy Brown
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Of course I want us to win and get to the last 16....probably.

I can't help feeling people are not rating Croatia for some reason but we are the underdogs in this match who will need a mighty performance to win

Second half against the Czech Republic they played very well and whilst we can win let's not make assumptions that we will and we all know there is a twist or two to come based on our history at these points

Should the third-placed side progress from Group D, they will take on either the Group C winners in Budapest on the Sunday (17:00), the Group B winners later the same day in Seville at 20:00 or the Group E winners in Glasgow on the Tuesday (20:00).

Impossible to allocate 3rd placed teams opponents until all 4 are decided.

Carl Weathers
4 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Didn't need to show ID but had my driver's license on the off chance. 

Honestly so few people there that getting in is an absolute breeze. 

Brilliant, cheers!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The 86, 90 and 94 World Cups and the 2016 Euros are the only tournaments with this format I think. Any stattos out there know if any team has ever not made it with 4 points?

Edit - just checked very quickly. Adjusting for 3 points a win, I don't think it's ever happened 😐. Might have ****ed up the math though

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

We've created a good few chances but imo we haven't had the rub of the green.  Hopefully we'll get that on Tuesday.

Scotland will do a Scotland tournament performance  on Tuesday.

Bad first game.

Outstanding in the second game (getting the old hopes up).

Losing in the third.

One day... 

25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bad first game.

Losing in the third.

One day... 

This 😔

Samuel Camazzola
32 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bad first game.

Losing in the third.

One day... 

Euro '96 being an exception? 👍 

Bazzas right boot
51 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Bad first game.

Losing in the third.

One day... 

Or play brilliant, win and go out on gd. 

HillmanHearts

Could do with some favourable results tomorrow :

Belgium to beat Finland. ( hopefully Belgium can be bothered )

Denmark to beat Russia. ( long shot )

And a winner between Austria and Ukraine. ( these two are likely to carve out a draw )

BackOfTheNet
4 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Could do with some favourable results tomorrow :

Belgium to beat Finland. ( hopefully Belgium can be bothered )

Denmark to beat Russia. ( long shot )

And a winner between Austria and Ukraine. ( these two are likely to carve out a draw )

If Belgium beat Finland then regardless of what happens between Russia and Denmark 3rd place can only have 3 points maximum. So that’s the main result we want. I would think even Belgium’s second string will bring out a performance. Would only be if Finland draw or win we’d need to worry about the other game and would hope for a Denmark win in that case.

I think Ukraine will go for the win but Austria will play for the draw. We basically need one of them to win. Schevchenko will want to showcase Ukraine as a good team.

If those things happen we’ll know by tomorrow night a win is good enough regardless of goal difference or goals scored etc. If they don’t we’d be waiting on the last two groups that are extremely unpredictable by the looks of it. (Unless one of the groups worked out and we know our goal difference is better than Switzerland, but I’m struggling to see us score once, never mind winning by two)

2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

The 86, 90 and 94 World Cups and the 2016 Euros are the only tournaments with this format I think. Any stattos out there know if any team has ever not made it with 4 points?

Edit - just checked very quickly. Adjusting for 3 points a win, I don't think it's ever happened 😐. Might have ****ed up the math though

We went out in 96 with the same 4 points as the Netherlands, the same goal difference but having scored less goals. ☹️

Screenshot_20210620-232423.png

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Turns out they are probably the best team in the group.

Scotland had numerous chances in that game to win. If there was one game we were gonna win , it was that & Clarke was called out on his tactics (rightly so).

I'm not downing Clarke or the team but if it doesn't happen on Tuesday it's because of his safety first tactics in that game. 

Best in the group ? Seriously ? 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Bad first game.

Losing in the third.

One day... 

Apart from 1990 that's never happened and even then our final game was a 1-0 loss to Brazil. The only time we've lost our last game.

74 WDD 

78 LDW 

82 WLD 

86 LLD

90 LWL 

92 LLW

96 DLW 

7 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Apart from 1990 that's never happened and even then our final game was a 1-0 loss to Brazil. The only time we've lost our last game.

74 WDD 

78 LDW 

82 WLD 

86 LLD

90 LWL 

92 LLW

96 DLW 

Morocco pumped us 3-0 in 98.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

Was at the Czech game, to me it didn't look like they were checking the times of entry. I think you will be ok to go in late. If you have a ticket they can hardly refuse you entry can they?

16 minutes ago, Homme said:

Oops forgot about 98.

I wouldn't call the 2-1 opening loss to Brazil a particularly bad result or the following 1-1 draw with Norway "outstanding".

Not trying to say we've done better than @Morgan suggested just that we don't normally do it the way he said.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
46 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

We went out in 96 with the same 4 points as the Netherlands, the same goal difference but having scored less goals. ☹️

Screenshot_20210620-232423.png

Sorry, I meant as one of the 6 best 3rd place finishers. 

Carl Weathers
16 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Was at the Czech game, to me it didn't look like they were checking the times of entry. I think you will be ok to go in late. If you have a ticket they can hardly refuse you entry can they?

I doubt they could refuse us. I found something else on their website saying that it's strongly recommended we go in at the early time but nothing about being refused entry. We'll still be very early, just not 2hrs early. 

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Sorry, I meant as one of the 6 best 3rd place finishers. 

My fault, I know that's what you meant.

Funny thing is that if we win on Tuesday we will have pretty much the same results as we did in 96 which I would say was a tougher group yet this year's team would become heroes whereas in 96 they were duds.

11 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

My fault, I know that's what you meant.

Funny thing is that if we win on Tuesday we will have pretty much the same results as we did in 96 which I would say was a tougher group yet this year's team would become heroes whereas in 96 they were duds.

My recollection of Euro 96 was - we got battered off Holland, Goram had the game of his life - saying something when he's the greatest Scotland goalie there's ever been.  Should have at least drawn with England should have scored about four against the Swiss. 

43 minutes ago, Homme said:

Wish you hadn't posted that.  I've spent 20 odd years trying to forget it.

Could have been 10.  We were awful and I'm pretty sure we were favourites.  That's when that awful word gutted was invented.

6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Wish you hadn't posted that.  I've spent 20 odd years trying to forget it.

Could have been 10.  We were awful and I'm pretty sure we were favourites.  That's when that awful word gutted was invented.

Unbelievably it was the last game in a major tournament we played prior to last Monday. 

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

All a bit irrelevant Eldar.

Lookinng at each group, they all have potential 4pt 3rd placed teams.

Mondays two groups do have very good possibilities of each having 3rd placed having only 3 points.

Fingers crossed this happens.

Group B

Denmark & belgium to win

Group C

Austria or Ukraine to win (play each other, both on 3 pts)

13 hours ago, John Findlay said:

If Andy Robertson puts his foot thro the ball against the Czechs, it's a different game. As you say, plenty of chances, Barn door and shotgun. 

5 hours ago, Homme said:

Unbelievably it was the last game in a major tournament we played prior to last Monday. 

No!!!!! That is truly incredible.  Of course Walter Smith's side of 2006 which played so well just had to be drawn against the World Cup finalists.

Just no' fair.