*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

J.T.F.Robertson
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Tell you what, if having CV19 generates performances like that, I hope Robbie Neilson takes note and gets some *sweet and sour bat balls on the menu for next season's team dinners.

I (think) I know 😞 it can still happen, just asking.

*spicy for me.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Old Tolbooth
18 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I'd be inclined to make as few changes as possible; Armstrong is a straight swap for Gilmour, leave everyone else as they were at Wembley - Turnbull can come on for Armstrong at some point if necessary

I get that, I just think we need to be a bit more attacking rather than containing against the Croats. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I get that, I just think we need to be a bit more attacking rather than containing against the Croats. 

To be fair, Armstrong does have 50 odd career goals from 300 games at CM which is respectable enough. He could be a guy to crack an important one into the net for us. 2 in 27 for Scotland so he’s due one imo, netted 5 last season.  (though I can think of more than a few Scotland players who were due a goal and never delivered!) 

August Landmesser
10 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Fair enough, I think we can start off a bit cautious, both teams will be fired up, and I'm sure Croatia will try and batter us from the start. Five subs allows a fair amount of tinkering

Adam_the_legend
52 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

So he was fully inoculated yet still tested positive? 

Sigh, the vaccine doesn’t prevent you getting covid, just makes sure your body can fight it when you do. Sorry, keep seeing people saying that and it’s grinding my gears! 

50 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

I'd be inclined to make as few changes as possible; Armstrong is a straight swap for Gilmour, leave everyone else as they were at Wembley - Turnbull can come on for Armstrong at some point if necessary

Same here. Armstrong for Gilmour and that’s about it. I’d possibly start Nisbet but both he and Dykes are much of a muchness.

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Sigh, the vaccine doesn’t prevent you getting covid, just makes sure your body can fight it when you do. Sorry, keep seeing people saying that and it’s grinding my gears! 

I actually unnerstaun that, just looked for confirmation re the full inoculation.

I shall grind no more.

Big Slim Stylee
1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Fair enough, I think we can start off a bit cautious, both teams will be fired up, and I'm sure Croatia will try and batter us from the start. Five subs allows a fair amount of tinkering

Our best chance will be if Croatia carry on looking like they’re not all that  arsed.😀

8 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Our best chance will be if Croatia carry on looking like they’re not all that  arsed.😀

The older players are fighting with younger players. They are feeling disrespected and the young team are telling Modric and Co to feck off. 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Armstrong back into the team, take out McGregor, stick on either Turnbull or Patterson for some width, and we have a good chance! 

Turnbull could be the wild card but he didn’t even feature in the match day squad against England, so doesn’t look like he’s in Clarke’s plans. Not entirely sure how Christie got in ahead of him in the first game given their club form. He might offer that spark if we need it later on in the game.

I would fear for us if we concede first Croatia can shut the game down and I think we’d struggle to break them down.

10 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Exactly. 

The amazing thing about Gilmour is that he's a huge loss for a youngster with just one cap.  That performance against England was simply outstanding.

It's all part of football though.  No difference from an injury which keeps someone out for a couple of weeks.  

Still confident.

So , going by ITV , Mount and Chilwell are both isolating just incase after hugging Gilmour but none of our players or background team are close contacts and at any risk so are mixing as normal

Captain Lithuania
9 minutes ago, sadj said:

So , going by ITV , Mount and Chilwell are both isolating just incase after hugging Gilmour but none of our players or background team are close contacts and at any risk so are mixing as normal

This doesn’t make sense to me. Is that the point you’re making?

OmiyaHearts

Mental rule to make those players isolate. Just about every Scotland player hugged Gilmour at the end of the match.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

Rick Sanchez

You'd like to think he's been retested and retested again!

And retested again!

Gutted for the lad. Like someone else said I was excited to watch him up against Modric.

1 hour ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Hate to say it, but this isn’t actually true. If you’re vaccinated and you have antibodies to Covid, it does prevent you from becoming infected, because the virus can’t get a foothold.

If you’ve been vaccinated and you then test positive, it’s because you didn’t mount a response to the vaccine (not that uncommon) or because you were exposed to a strain of the virus that has some resistance to the vaccine.

Big Slim Stylee
46 minutes ago, sadj said:

Genuinely can’t make head or tail of it. And also just....how? It’s baffling. The last couple of days off so they could see families etc. was June 7th. 

Edited by Big Slim Stylee

Adam_the_legend
9 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Hate to say it, but this isn’t actually true. If you’re vaccinated and you have antibodies to Covid, it does prevent you from becoming infected, because the virus can’t get a foothold.

If you’ve been vaccinated and you then test positive, it’s because you didn’t mount a response to the vaccine (not that uncommon) or because you were exposed to a strain of the virus that has some resistance to the vaccine.

Pretty off topic so I’ll make this my last covid comment. I’ve read a bunch of stuff contrary to this, and not the flat earther 5G hating loons, just scientists/doctors who seemed to know what they were talking about. Confused.com

On topic, the rules seem all over place. Mount and chilwell having to isolate but no Scotland players...eh ok then. 

If I’ve got this right. Then as long as at least one of Russia and Finland fail to win, then a win tomorrow will at least guarantee us qualification as one of the best 3rd place sides.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

If I’ve got this right. Then as long as at least one of Russia and Finland fail to win, then a win tomorrow will at least guarantee us qualification as one of the best 3rd place sides.

No. One of them has to lose

Correction. If Russia draw that’s also good for us

Edited by JimmyCant

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Its heading that way. 

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No. One of them has to lose

That’s what I said :lol:

EDIT: Ah sorry. I’ve misworded my other post. Yeah, I meant as long as one of them lose. Apologise.

Edited by iantjambo

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

We just need Belgium to beat Finland. If that happens, the Russia score doesn't matter

12 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

That’s what I said :lol:

EDIT: Ah sorry. I’ve misworded my other post. Yeah, I meant as long as one of them lose. Apologise.

If Russia only draw, Finland doesn’t matter to us

actually ignore that because that’s wrong too 😀

If both Russia and Finland draw. Russia would finish 2nd by virtue of their head to head with Finland. Finland would finish 3rd on 4 points with a GD of zero. 2 ahead of us. So we need one of them to lose.

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If Russia only draw, Finland doesn’t matter to us

If Russia and Finland draw then I believe Russia would finish in second because they beat Finland. That would put Finland in 3rd place with 4 points and a goal difference of 0 and it would matter to us. 

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Just about every Scotland player hugged Gilmour at the end of the match.

Maybe England are well aware of that fact. ;)

18 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

And Belgium aren't going to lose and not win the group :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

If Russia and Finland draw then I believe Russia would finish in second because they beat Finland. That would put Finland in 3rd place with 4 points and a goal difference of 0 and it would matter to us. 

Yes. I edited

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

And Belgium aren't going to lose and not win the group :lol: 

If Belgium draw they would win the group. That would put Finland on 4 points, which wouldn't be great for us.

Edited by babywhalo

So far so good

QsbeIF5.jpg

Want Finland to not pick up any points vs Belgium.

Don't want Russia/Denmark to end as a draw. Don't care who wins that game as long as someone does.

1 hour ago, Captain Lithuania said:

This doesn’t make sense to me. Is that the point you’re making?

Yup

44 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Genuinely can’t make head or tail of it. And also just....how? It’s baffling. The last couple of days off so they could see families etc. was June 7th. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Mental rule to make those players isolate. Just about every Scotland player hugged Gilmour at the end of the match.

Hmmmm does it not have to be close contact for a period of time( 15 minutes) in an enclosed space in a sporting bubble situation ? Which doesn’t explain why 2 England players would have to isolate. Maybe just purely precautionary.

4 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

If Belgium draw they would win the group. That would put Finland on 4 points, which wouldn't be great for us.

It’s fine for us if Russia lose though

Just now, JimmyCant said:

It’s fine for us if Russia lose though

Yes, sorry, I was just saying we only need Belgium to win as that seems pretty likely to me.

But aye, if Denmark win, all good

4 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

Yes, sorry, I was just saying we only need Belgium to win as that seems pretty likely to me.

But aye, if Denmark win, all good

Heed nippin stuff. We better win tomorrow after all this ! 

Edited by JimmyCant

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Heed nippin stuff. We better win tomorrow after all this !

Haha, aye that's the main thing! 😅

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, Adam_the_legend said:

everyone is less contagious, sheds less virus thus reduces your chances of catching it in the first place.  

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1112

so if enough people are vaccinated it actually does prevent covid.

This is the fundamental basis of Herd immunity. We aren’t all walking around catching measles every day and fighting it off

Edited by kingantti1874

Bit shocked to learn that we can't finish above the Czechs even if England stick 6 past them.  I presume we do qualify if the opposite occurs or have they dreamt up some other rule to frustrate us.

All assuming we win.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Bit shocked to learn that we can't finish above the Czechs even if England stick 6 past them.  I presume we do qualify if the opposite occurs or have they dreamt up some other rule to frustrate us.

All assuming we win.

All assuming we win.

f we win we qualify (subject to something crazy not happening in the next 10-15 mins

All assuming we win.

The Czechs would finish above us on head to head.

As the results stand tonight, any win tomorrow guarantees us to go through

Confirmed - any win tomorrow and we have qualified. 

It's the same for Croatia. 

And a draw puts us both out.

Could be interesting!