Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 20/06/2021 at 07:03, DETTY29 said:

Richard Gordon on Sportsound v. confident a win will see us through.

Followed that if as 3rd place team  there are 15 outcomes if which Scotland will be involved in 10, 5 of which lead us to playing Holland in Budapest.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Jolly good. :)

Just trying to ready myself for the inevitable. :(

😄 I'll have drunk my half empty glasses well before kick off as well 

John Findlay
6 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

That was a painful evening. The Uruguayan red card after 40 seconds remains a World Cup record to this day. They should probably have had a couple more. If they'd got them Scotland probably still wouldn't have won. We were awful that night and we had much better players then than now.

I'll still be watching tomorrow night. It is indeed the hope that kills you. Seen it too many times before. But come on Scotland anyway. We have home advantage this time - a random piece of good luck.

Steve Nicol of Liverpool missing an absolute sitter too.

At least it’s all in our own hands. We don’t need results to go our way elsewhere. Unfortunately, this is when we tend to blow it.

I think I’m more nervous now than I was on Friday.

The only thing that’s worrying me is our lack of goals. We’re the only team in the tournament not to have scored. We need to be more clinical in front of goal.

Edited by iantjambo

38 minutes ago, Costanza said:

😄 I'll have drunk my half empty glasses well before kick off as well 

:olly:

8 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

The two most likely scenarios are Hampden vs Spain, Sweden or Slovakia or Belgium in Seville.  Netherlands in Budapest is almost impossible now. 

This is all based on some very quick research...

Everything hinges on Group F. If that group has a 3rd place qualifier then Croatia play Spain/Sweden/Slovakia at Hampden..

Don’t think so. Belgium will play third place from D only if third place in B also qualifies which they won’t pretty sure it’s Hampden or Budapest for third place in D.  

highlandjambo3

Looking like the English media have Billy Gilmour/Scotland their sights to use as an excuse for their (eventual) failings in euro 2021….media rats.

heartsfc_fan
32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Looking like the English media have Billy Gilmour/Scotland their sights to use as an excuse for their (eventual) failings in euro 2021….media rats.

😂 Boohoo to them.

Chilwell isn't a guaranteed starter. And they have enough options to replace Mount.

Салатные палочки

That prick Jeremy Vine talking about it just now. 

WorldChampions1902

Unfortunately, an inability to score goals has hampered Scotland’s progression at major tournaments for ever.

I remember the 1974 WC in particular where our miserly 2-0 victory over Zaire would ultimately cost us progression out of the group stages, despite being unbeaten throughout the group stages. 

The other thing that remains long in my memory, was the sheer brutality meted out to us by Brazil when we drew 0-0, not to mention Billy Bremner’s one yard missed sitter at the end of the game. Bitter sweet memories indeed, but I honestly believe we will get the win we need tonight to progress for the first time in our history.

jack D and coke
10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

That was a painful evening. The Uruguayan red card after 40 seconds remains a World Cup record to this day. They should probably have had a couple more. If they'd got them Scotland probably still wouldn't have won. We were awful that night and we had much better players then than now.

I'll still be watching tomorrow night. It is indeed the hope that kills you. Seen it too many times before. But come on Scotland anyway. We have home advantage this time - a random piece of good luck.

Steve Nicol not scoring from about 4 yards as well that day :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

That prick Jeremy Vine talking about it just now. 

Complete and utter misunderstanding of the rules related to elite sporting bubbles. Teams in a bubble can associate pretty freely with some close contact restrictions and risks. Outwith their own bubble there shouldn’t be less than 2 metres contact with ANYONE in another bubble for longer than 15 minutes.

There is no need for any England players to isolate unless they both bummed Gilmour in the lavvies for 20 minutes after the game.  

There is more to this than meets the eye. Did they go out together after the game or something ? There is something we’re not being told here.

Edited by JimmyCant

11 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Questions getting asked on the need there as to why English players are getting treated differently to Scotland players.  It seems the English stance is precautionary at the moment and Southgate doesn’t know if Mount or Chilwell can play tomorrow. 

One thing I’m confused about is why are Scotland taking advice from Public Health England?  I can see why, in relation to training at their English training base but surely they have to advice from Public Health Scotland tomorrow in relation to a game being played in Glasgow or are they just being sneaky about this to achieve a more favourable outcome?

The incident happened in England.

And Scotland are based in England at Middlesbrough for the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

I think its pretty damning that only 2 players got close enough to him to have to isolate. 

It hasn't been decided yet.

But I'll predict Mount and Chilwell will be allowed back with squad. Hyper sensitive/ politically correct even to take this 'precaution'.

As others posted plenty other people hugged and spent time talking to Billy Gilmour after the game.

I think the UEFA protocols have persuaded someone to do this, perhaps to get brownie points with UEFA when they talking of moving the final to Hungary. 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think so. Belgium will play third place from D only if third place in B also qualifies which they won’t pretty sure it’s Hampden or Budapest for third place in D.  

3rd place qualifier from our group would only play Belgium if Group E or Group F didn't have a 3rd place qualifier- which I would rate as highly unlikely but crazier things have happened! 

10 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

What hasn't been decided? The two England players are self isolating, according to multiple news sources. 

Public Health England doing an 'investigation'. 

The question also arises whether any Scotland player is out for tonight and we're keeping it quiet. 

56 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Complete and utter misunderstanding of the rules related to elite sporting bubbles. Teams in a bubble can associate pretty freely with some close contact restrictions and risks. Outwith their own bubble there shouldn’t be less than 2 metres contact with ANYONE in another bubble for longer than 15 minutes.

There is no need for any England players to isolate unless they both bummed Gilmour in the lavvies for 20 minutes after the game.  

There is more to this than meets the eye. Did they go out together after the game or something ? There is something we’re not being told here.

They were up close and personal on the pitch and apparently that went on after they disappeared down the tunnel. I suspect England are being cautious because they want to minimize the chances of positive tests that cause even more disruption to the next 2 games. I hope Scotland have the same mindset to be honest.

Much better though to see it as a conspiracy cover up, an excuse for future poor performances, or brown nosing UEFA 🤣🤣🤣

"All we need to do is..............."

The infamous phrase of doooooooom that has haunted Scotland teams throughout history.

Horatio Caine
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

They were up close and personal on the pitch and apparently that went on after they disappeared down the tunnel. I suspect England are being cautious because they want to minimize the chances of positive tests that cause even more disruption to the next 2 games. I hope Scotland have the same mindset to be honest.

Much better though to see it as a conspiracy cover up, an excuse for future poor performances, or brown nosing UEFA 🤣🤣🤣

Gilmour's played a blinder here - again.  He's taken out two England players without as much as a tackle.😁

1 minute ago, Horatio Caine said:

Gilmour's played a blinder here - again.  He's taken out two England players without as much as a tackle.😁

😄

To be fair there are signs of general improvement.

Its true we don't look like scoring goals though to be fair O'Donnell and Dukes went pretty close on Friday at Wembley. 

But I think the strength is the players like Tierney who have that extra quality. Denmark also overall struggle to score goals. But they showed it can be done. 

24 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

What hasn't been decided? The two England players are self isolating, according to multiple news sources. 

Not on the insistence of Public Health England but as an FA precaution as far as we are aware though.

It's not even a subtle difference....for now.

Edited by DETTY29

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

Not on the insistence of Public Health Engkabd but as an FA precaution as far as we are aware though.

It's not even a subtle difference....for now.

Someone at the FA just wants Grealish in the team.

CF11JamTart
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Unfortunately, an inability to score goals has hampered Scotland’s progression at major tournaments for ever.

I remember the 1974 WC in particular where our miserly 2-0 victory over Zaire would ultimately cost us progression out of the group stages, despite being unbeaten throughout the group stages. 

Our goal-scoring in major tournaments has been dire since 1982 when we scored 8 goals. 

9 goals in 15 games. 

1986... 1... Strachan

1990... 2... McCall, Mo Jo (pen) 

1992... 3... McStay, McClair, McAllister (pen) 

1996... 1... McCoist

1998... 2... Collins (pen). Burley

I'd bite your hand off for a lucky 1-0 win tonight. 

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The other thing that remains long in my memory, was the sheer brutality meted out to us by Brazil when we drew 0-0, not to mention Billy Bremner’s one yard missed sitter at the end of the game. Bitter sweet memories indeed, but I honestly believe we will get the win we need tonight to progress for the first time in our history.

Brazil were horrible in 1974. A shadow of the winning team just four years earlier. I remember watching the opening game of the tourney, a sodden pitch and a dreadful 0-0 draw. 
Think it dawned on most people that this Brazil side was wanting.

Good to see them get their just rewards when Holland showed them total football.

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Public Health England doing an 'investigation'. 

The question also arises whether any Scotland player is out for tonight and we're keeping it quiet. 

Possibly regarding the fact that the three players spent 25 minutes with each other after the game, which must be against the rules with team bubbles surely 🤔?

The Old Tolbooth
13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s complicated but we can’t finish above the Czechs because of the head to head we lost to them. Denmark’s group had a 3 way head to head with one win each so it went to GD

13 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

That's because Russia were also on 3 points mate, we can't finish above the Czechs.

As an aside England now at least guaranteed to go through with 4 points.

13 hours ago, babywhalo said:

That's not right. We can't finish above the Czechs. They beat us on head to head

The confusing thing about the Denmark scenario is that they finished level with Finland and Russia, so it was head to head to head (& they all had 3 points from those games)

Cheers lads, I hadn't factored in the pesky Russian effect, goal difference would be so much easier :lol: 

SwindonJambo
2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Steve Nicol not scoring from about 4 yards as well that day :facepalm:

Yes indeed. How could we ever forget that one. He tried to coolly pass it into the net when he could and should have blasted it into the middle of the next week. 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

To be fair there are signs of general improvement.

Its true we don't look like scoring goals though to be fair O'Donnell and Dukes went pretty close on Friday at Wembley. 

But I think the strength is the players like Tierney who have that extra quality. Denmark also overall struggle to score goals. But they showed it can be done. 

Hope our centre backs are practicing 30 yard rockets

42 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Possibly regarding the fact that the three players spent 25 minutes with each other after the game, which must be against the rules with team bubbles surely 🤔?

That makes more sense that just talking outdoors on the pitch.

Confirmed they have to self isolate.

Like Gilmour, may miss last 16 game too. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That makes more sense that just talking outdoors on the pitch.

Confirmed they have to self isolate.

Like Gilmour, may miss last 16 game too. 

Seems a bit of a daft thing to do, it would be less than three weeks since they seen each other.
We can only hope Mount and Chilwell won’t play again in this tournament 🤞

Seymour M Hersh

Any news/speculation on where Gilmour picked up the bug? And why are no other Scottish players having to self isolate? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

6 hours ago, iantjambo said:

At least it’s all in our own hands. We don’t need results to go our way elsewhere. Unfortunately, this is when we tend to blow it.

I think I’m more nervous now than I was on Friday.

The only thing that’s worrying me is our lack of goals. We’re the only team in the tournament not to have scored. We need to be more clinical in front of goal.

It's true we've not scored yet but there's hardly a world of difference between that and what England and Croatia have managed.

12 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

It's true we've not scored yet but there's hardly a world of difference between that and what England and Croatia have managed.

That’s true

Captain Sausage

Funny that we spend most of our time at major tournaments laughing at the English arrogance when our media is convincingly worse at the first opportunity. 

All I can see are opinion pieces about Croatia being has-been and Scotland being on the up, and all the looking beyond the game to what comes next. 

There is no way Scotland win this game. 3-0 loss coming our way tonight. 

indianajones
29 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Funny that we spend most of our time at major tournaments laughing at the English arrogance when our media is convincingly worse at the first opportunity. 

All I can see are opinion pieces about Croatia being has-been and Scotland being on the up, and all the looking beyond the game to what comes next. 

Sadly agree. Not sure why everyone is so confident. 

They are World Cup finalists ffs. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

How depressing...not that I disagree mind.

SwindonJambo
47 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Sadly agree. Not sure why everyone is so confident. 

They are World Cup finalists ffs. 

There's also the small matter that we're the only team in the tournament who haven't scored a goal yet 😳

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

There’s something badly wrong in the Croatia camp. They’ve been very poor so far.

Of course, we know what that means tonight eh !

😂

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Boab said:

There’s something badly wrong in the Croatia camp. They’ve been very poor so far.

Of course, we know what that means tonight eh !

😂

It's like when teams can't buy a win then Hearts rock up and.....

The last two times we beat Croatia Hanley was in the first team ☺.    I think he's the only player that's left from those two wins.    Got to be a good sign.   

Modric, Vida and Lovren were in those two games also. 

Interesting match.   I think if we have the energy and same drive and togetherness from the England game, we can win.   2-1  or 3-1.

10 minutes ago, IMac said:

English media losing their minds that no other Scottish players have to isolate! Nothing better then English tears.

It's all very simple.

GPS tracking. Nice they have failed to explain it.

If they get knocked out soon it will be a nice complaint. Maybe helps give Southgate another 2 years if they aren't asking questions about his part.