• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The squad has just been announced:

9c1b407c-7733-4aad-9283-58f50512423f.jpg

Goalkeepers: Marshall, McLaughlin, Gordon.

Defenders: O'Donnell, Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, Patterson, Robertson, Taylor, Tierney.

Midfielders: McGregor, Christie, McGinn, Armstrong, Fleck, Gilmour, McTominay, Turnbull.

Forwards: Nisbet, Fraser, Forrest, Dykes, Adams.

Both posted threads at the same time :lol: 

Your image is probably better.

Some good players in there and some not so good. Should be enough to play with some pride and compete in our games.

Very weak in the forwards options sadly so it'll be keep the opposition out and hope we can nick something.

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I don't really get taking Nisbet in front of Griffiths. 

Maybe Clarke sees some potential in Nisbet. 

Perhaps off the pitch issues 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Griffiths is obviously the far better player but he’s probably less fit physically and mentally.

Gordon (picked with heart)

Cooper Gallacher Tierney 

O'Donnel.                        Robertson 

Gilmour McTominay McGinn 

Armstrong 

Adams 

^^^^^^ would be my team

upgotheheads
5 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Surprised the Sevco kid made it in. 7 apps is good enough for Scotland team. 

It's called the Tosh McKinley syndrome.

Just now, Taffin said:

Gordon (picked with heart)

Cooper Gallacher Tierney 

O'Donnel.                        Robertson 

Gilmour McTominay McGinn 

Armstrong 

Adams 

^^^^^^ would be my team

Hard to argue with that.  Gilmour and McTominay both play more in the middle of the park though, so might end up a bit light on the right hand side.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

If Gordon gets the start then he could make a serious name for himself, as he might be the busiest keeper at the tournament.

Gordon

Hendry Hanley Tierney

O'Donnell                         Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Fraser                       Mcginn

Adams

4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Hard to argue with that.  Gilmour and McTominay both play more in the middle of the park though, so might end up a bit light on the right hand side.

Yeh true, I'd be looking to the wing backs to provide the width and just cluttering the middle of the pitch really. Gave up with the formatting on my phone 😂

3 strikers wtf

:jj_facepalm:

Pretty happy with goalies, wing backs and midfielders but ffs we aint going to score many.

Pasquale for King

Can’t stand Griffiths and who knows if he would be trouble in a squad that’s cooped up together, but he offers more off the bench if you’re needing a goal than Nisbet. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Happy with these young players getting in. You need a few gambles in there. 

But feel Guald should be in ahead of either Fraser or Forrest because they’ve both had long long injuries this season. 

kingantti1874

Really any need for Greg Taylor? 3 left back and 3 strikers.. 

griffiths should have been in for me much as I dislike him. 

I think Paterson, Gilmour and Turnbull are all great selections 

Just now, upgotheheads said:

It's called the Tosh McKinley syndrome.

Clarke throwing a bone to the people with Jack injured. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I think his thinking is Tierney plays on the left of the back 3 and if Robbo gets injured he'd rather replace him directly than move Tierney over.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No Callum Paterson 😕

Needed another Hun in there 

13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Fine with that squad apart from thinking Gauld should have been in it. 

100%. Player of the month in Liga NOS on top of several MOTM awards all season, almost single handedly keeping his team in the division and likely to move to one of the 'Big Four' in Portugal over the summer and yet we go with John Fleck who brings absolutely nothing to the squad and James Forrest who has barely kicked a ball all season and when he has hasn't been great. Granted they're different types of players but feel Gauld is 100% more deserving than either and would bring an extra bit of class and creativity. 

Glad to see Billy Gilmour in there at least though. It's a solid enough squad. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t stand Griffiths and who knows if he would be trouble in a squad that’s cooped up together, but he offers more off the bench if you’re needing a goal than Nisbet. 

You never know. Nisbet is the new kid on the block. And he is the top scoring Scottish striker in the Premiership this season. Clarke has a track record of going with form over experience which is the thing I like most about him. Nobody gets picked on reputation alone. The one which I think is least deserved form wise is Forrest but then, you’ve got to have different types of player as well. He’s an outright right footed right winger who hits the by line, can’t see any others like that. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Needed another Hun in there 

Calum Paterson hasn’t played right back since he was at Hearts 6 years ago. It’s Che Adams who’s took his place in the squad. 

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

No Callum Paterson 😕

Hes played in a team that just got relegated from the Championship, probably the same reason Liam Palmer not in. Not just form but football is a confidence game.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

100%. Player of the month in Liga NOS on top of several MOTM awards all season, almost single handedly keeping his team in the division and likely to move to one of the 'Big Four' in Portugal over the summer and yet we go with John Fleck who brings absolutely nothing to the squad and James Forrest who has barely kicked a ball all season and when he has hasn't been great. Granted they're different types of players but feel Gauld is 100% more deserving than either and would bring an extra bit of class and creativity. 

Glad to see Billy Gilmour in there at least though. It's a solid enough squad. 

That was my initial thought as well. But thought again about It, you mention Fleck and Forrest. They’re very different players tactically to Gauld. I reckon it’s Christie and Fraser who are in ahead of Guald, they’re more similar to his role. 

17 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Not that im much into Scotland these days but it’s good to see a few young players included who haven’t necessarily become established at their clubs but are emerging. 

This should’ve been happening years ago to give young players experience and responsibility ahead of times in the future they’ll become the mainstays. 

Edited by Debut 4

drumie jambo
37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Aye he's off to ra sellick very shortly with the thumb heading to sheepland wi broony.

40 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Shocking decision not to include Gauld.

D737C24A-D78D-4F6A-A50D-459B974FA7CA.jpeg

6 Celtic

2 Rangers

2 Motherwell

2 Southampton

1 Hearts, Derby, Leeds, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Liverpool, Arsenal, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man United, QPR and Hibs

Can't think of a time when we were represented by Man Uniteted, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool

10 of this squad played in the English Premiership this season.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You never know. Nisbet is the new kid on the block. And he is the top scoring Scottish striker in the Premiership this season. Clarke has a track record of going with form over experience which is the thing I like most about him. Nobody gets picked on reputation alone. The one which I think is least deserved form wise is Forrest but then, you’ve got to have different types of player as well. He’s an outright right footed right winger who hits the by line, can’t see any others like that. 

Calum Paterson hasn’t played right back since he was at Hearts 6 years ago. It’s Che Adams who’s took his place in the squad. 

Nisbet has scored about three goals since the turn of the year. 
You could say Nisbet has taken Paterson’s place also. 
You say we don’t have another right footed right winger so Forrest has to go, we don’t have another left footed striker poacher.

Pretty dire squad really with no real flare in it, not that it’s Clarke’s fault for that though. 
All about the team effort and taking the 2-3 chances created when they come. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***
Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Hes played in a team that just got relegated from the Championship, probably the same reason Liam Palmer not in. Not just form but football is a confidence game.

Like Fleck? Marshall was dropped by Derby and they survived by one goal? Palmer not in to wedge another Hun in there really, let’s hope he obeys the protocols with Scotland. 
Paterson hasn’t really nailed down a position and that’s what’s probably cost him more than anything. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot

Be in trouble if Adams gets injured. 

We have goals from the middle so not too bothered about the strikers overall. 

I Would have had Griffiths in, even from the bench he could do something different. 

In response to the OP, Gauld is 26 this year and he has yet to break through to the national team.  He looked piss poor for Hibs but yeah he seems to have hit form in Portugal.  Not sure i'd have picked him either.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Like Fleck? Marshall was dropped by Derby and they survived by one goal? Palmer not in to wedge another Hun in there really, let’s hope he obeys the protocols with Scotland. 

Got no issue with Patterson being included, we're not exactly blessed with quality right backs. CP doesn't really play in that position any more and has never looked great in a Scotland shirt anyway. Palmer is at best a meh option. O'Donnell will start so I'd rather the back up position went to a promising youngster who will benefit from the experience - regardless of the club he plays for - than someone who is just going to be a warm body on the bench.

A_A wehatethehibs

Nisbet has scored about three goals since the turn of the year. 
You could say Nisbet has taken Paterson’s place also. 
You say we don’t have another right footed right winger so Forrest has to go, we don’t have another left footed striker poacher.

Pretty dire squad really with no real flare in it, not that it’s Clarke’s fault for that though. 
All about the team effort and taking the 2-3 chances created when they come. 

Still, Nisbet is a young player. I always take off the maroon specs when it comes to Scotland. Happy to see a young striker who’s top of the goals table, given the nod over the ageing 30 year old who has spent the last 2-3 years not trying particularly hard, not enjoying his football and playing second fiddle. It’s deserved for me if it’s a straight Griffiths vs Nisbet question. 

As for Paterson, to me what’s come back to bite him is the positional question we had at the start of his career. As you’ve said. Was always always my opinion that he should never have been a right back. Wasted there and stunted his development. 

Greg Taylor is a bit of a waste of a pick IMO, otherwise I don’t think I’d change anything from that

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Jamboross said:

Got no issue with Patterson being included, we're not exactly blessed with quality right backs. CP doesn't really play in that position any more and has never looked great in a Scotland shirt anyway. Palmer is at best a meh option. O'Donnell will start so I'd rather the back up position went to a promising youngster who will benefit from the experience - regardless of the club he plays for - than someone who is just going to be a warm body on the bench.

I don’t think the three youngsters will make the bench, you still only have 23 stripped. 
No youngster from any other team bar Celtic would make this squad if he had only played 7 games and been reprimanded for a Covid breach. 
He only played those games because Tavernier was injured and the SPFL delayed the case so he could play two OF games,when Tavernier returned they confirmed the suspension. In fact he might still be under that suspension 😆

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Still, Nisbet is a young player. I always take off the maroon specs when it comes to Scotland. Happy to see a young striker who’s top of the goals table, given the nod over the ageing 30 year old who has spent the last 2-3 years not trying particularly hard, not enjoying his football and playing second fiddle. It’s deserved for me if it’s a straight Griffiths vs Nisbet question. 

As for Paterson, to me what’s come back to bite him is the positional question we had at the start of his career. As you’ve said. Was always always my opinion that he should never have been a right back. Wasted there and stunted his development. 

As I said it’s just for that impact off the bench, we don’t really have any impact subs in that squad. 
Im happy enough for Griffiths to enjoy his summer before he return to ER. 
Paterson still doesn’t have a position that gets the best out of him unfortunately. 
I wonder if they have mentioned guys on stand by. 
I never take my maroon specs off 🤓.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Greg Taylor is a bit of a waste of a pick IMO, otherwise I don’t think I’d change anything from that

Again picked for who he plays for and of course a pal of the manager. 

I think he might go, 

Gordon

Tierney Hanley Cooper Robertson         

McTominay McGregor 

Fraser       McGinn     Christie  

Adams 

BackOfTheNet
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Paterson hasn’t really nailed down a position and that’s what’s probably cost him more than anything. 

Fleck was relegated from the Premier League, so is a big difference. But I wouldn’t have taken him. I suspect he wouldn’t be going if it wasn’t for McLean’s injury to be honest. I don’t know if Paterson has deserved a place, I think we all look at him with maroon tinted glasses a little. He had his part to play in that team being relegated.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Fleck was relegated from the Premier League, so is a big difference. But I wouldn’t have taken him. I suspect he wouldn’t be going if it wasn’t for McLean’s injury to be honest. I don’t know if Paterson has deserved a place, I think we all look at him with maroon tinted glasses a little. He had his part to play in that team being relegated.

Callum Paterson can barely play fitbaw. Correct decision to leave him out. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You said it’s about confidence so I’m not being relegated by November is better than on the last day like Paterson, Marshall’s confidence isn’t that high either. 
I’m not really questioning whether he should go just your reasoning for it, he’s not really any better than what’s been picked it’s that simple.

I don’t think the three youngsters will make the bench, you still only have 23 stripped. 
No youngster from any other team bar Celtic would make this squad if he had only played 7 games and been reprimanded for a Covid breach. 
He only played those games because Tavernier was injured and the SPFL delayed the case so he could play two OF games,when Tavernier returned they confirmed the suspension. In fact he might still be under that suspension 😆

Dunno, I'd think they will all feature at some point even if it's just cameo appearances. If you count Tierney and McTominay, since that's where they tend to play, then we have 7 centre backs in the squad. I'd be surprised if we named all of them in the match day squads. 

Agree that Patterson wouldn't be in if he played for any other Scottish team bar Celtic but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be there. If he played for us I'd have been wanting him called up, he's a talanted kid and like I say would rather he was there than any of the other candidates for back up RB. 

Dunno who we would have picked ahead of Greg Taylor either. Hickey, if he wasn't injured would have been in with a chance but can see him getting the Gauld treatment down the line. Out of sight, out of mind. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Scotland will be oot after getting pumped by the Czechs and England, pish central of defence and forward options on an international stage, they are just making up the numbers, taking Nisbet or Dykes over Griffiths for a goal wouldn't be my choice 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

Decent enough squad tbf. Forrest should be nowhere near the team though. He’s barely kicked a ball all season.

Don’t know much about the young lad from Rangers.

Not all that surprising that a Sevco youngster gets the nod, after they’ve just run away with the league. As others have said, we don’t have huge depth at RB, so I’m fine with it.

I don’t rate Fleck - never did - so I’d have preferred Gauld. But I can live with that.

We really do look light up front. I’d have taken Griffiths just because he is the best striker we can field, even if he is well off his best. We are where we are, though. Sad that Scotland’s entire league system couldn’t produce a better option than Nisbet, and we’re relying on one guy imported from Australia and one from England. I’ve got no problem with either playing for Scotland, don’t get me wrong - but we haven’t seen a home developed striker in some time.