*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I watched the game again last night, Hanley had a good game. 

Aye, he was a lot better than some.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Findlay

The only difference yesterday was the had a forward who took two of his chances when they came his way, our striker didnt.

5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The only difference yesterday was the had a forward who took two of his chances when they came his way, our striker didnt.

And our players mis-controlling the ball, running into each other and taking the wrong option multiple times. Apart from that there was no difference between the two, none whatsoever.

Big Slim Stylee
29 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

But it’s a huge difference at this level. We had Dykes from QPR on the pitch.That’s not a given for international class, really.

39 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Andy Robertson has given Marshall another gift box. Just contains a compass.

🤣

38 minutes ago, smiler said:

And our players mis-controlling the ball, running into each other and taking the wrong option multiple times. Apart from that there was no difference between the two, none whatsoever.

We played ok, we weren't as bad as folk are making out. We had chances and their keepers made a few class saves but we lacked a bit of quality. 

As I said, watched it again last night and all the Czechs did was play for set pieces and they were unbelievably lucky. Every bounce and deflection went their way. 

The first goals a cracking header, we could have done better stopping the cross but it's a world class header and no keeper saves that.

The second imo Hendry makes a disastrous decision taking a shot from there, stupidity on stilts but the luck they get from the rebound is unreal, the ball runs absolutely perfect for them and obv Marshalls gone for a wonder but the hits brilliant. That knocks the stuffing out of our lads tbf. 

The margins were very small. There wasn't a great deal in it. If Hendry and Marshall make safe choices, that 2nd doesn't happen and we're still in it. 

Reflecting back on it, I feel we were a bit unfortunate. I think Clarke has made a mistake by not starting Adams and either Forrest or Fraser who would have caused more problems with their pace. 

Edited by Cruyff

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

🤣

We played ok, we weren't as bad as folk are making out. We had chances and their keepers made a few class saves but we lacked a bit of quality. 

As I said, watched it again last night and all the Czechs did was play for set pieces and they were unbelievably lucky. Every bounce and deflection went their way. 

The first goals a cracking header, we could have done better stopping the cross but it's a world class header and no keeper saves that.

The second imo Hendry makes a disastrous decision taking a shot from there, stupidity on stilts but the luck they get from the rebound is unreal, the ball runs absolutely perfect for them and obv Marshalls gone for a wonder but the hits brilliant. That knocks the stuffing out of our lads tbf. 

The margins were very small. There wasn't a great deal in it. If Hendry and Marshall make safe choices, that 2nd doesn't happen and we're still in it. 

Reflecting back on it, I feel we were a bit unfortunate. I think Clarke has made a mistake by not starting Adams and either Forrest or Fraser who would have caused more problems with their pace. 

Pretty much exactly as I see it.  Did feel like the occasion got to a few of our players and once the adrenaline had gone they were flat footed.  Disappointed that they resorted to feeding off the second balls as the game wore on.  We played some good stuff at times against the Dutch so we've got players who can do it.  

John Findlay
48 minutes ago, smiler said:

Dont talk shite. It happened once in the first half. Scotland whether you want to admit it or not played some decent football yesterday and on another day would have scored twice minimum.

The ovrall performance was in no way as bad as you and others are painting.

Anyways, if you are that good, why werent you out there in a Blue jersey?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Awbdy Oot said:

That can't be right, most pundits say he was 10 yards too far out. Presumably he would have had an easy save or the boy wouldn't have attempted the shot if he was that wee bit closer.

:sarcasm:

I agree Tbh, the boy wouldn't have thought about it had Marshall been 10 meters back, but it if he had and hit it like that then it was causing trouble. 

It wa a "strike" from 50 yards 😳, not your floaty lob tight. 

For accuracy, not seen it since Niym (sp) v Arsenal. 

Both not a patch on JC's at ER tho. 👍

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

🤣

Perfect analysis. 

Anything else is wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Chances... Feckin hell you have some e gloriously high standards if that second counts as a chance 😂😂

You are correct tho, one great finish along with a great bit of opurtinism. 

Margins.

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Chances... Feckin hell you have some e gloriously high standards if that second counts as a chance 😂😂

Margins.

I think that was the worst thing: the Czechs are not very good. They had 2 good players - striker and CB who dominated the air at both ends. Other than that they played for set pieces just as I posted right before their first...

That was not the same as starting against Brazil in 98...

15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Dont talk shite. It happened once in the first half. Scotland whether you want to admit it or not played some decent football yesterday and on another day would have scored twice minimum.

The ovrall performance was in no way as bad as you and others are painting.

Anyways, if you are that good, why werent you out there in a Blue jersey?

Me? Talk shite? Quite often aye. Doesn't get away from the fact that all the things i stated happened. Fwiw I thought we were very unlucky, there was one deflection i remember that easily could have dipped under the bar, but hey ho, it didn't. Margins, man.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Margins.

Quite clearly, that 2nd goal WAS a chance (and one, if the striker's post-match comments are to be believed) was something he was looking for having spotted Marshal's tendancy to wander. Mind you, I'd still rate Ozturk's 'at the death' strike at Fester Road as being superior.

32 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

🤣

Good summary Cruyff, I did think we were unlucky as I stated on another post, but we were also very frustrating to watch.

47 minutes ago, smiler said:

Good summary Cruyff, I did think we were unlucky as I stated on another post, but we were also very frustrating to watch.

We certainly weren't at our best, we can do better. 👍

I also think Cruyff is bang on.  We were very unlucky not to score and let's be honest, their 2nd goal was a freak.

I've seen the game twice as well and overall, I think they were a considerably better side.  They were able to stroll through most of the 2nd half.

I thought our subs in the main were better than the players they replaced, particularly Forest and Fraser.

Clarke has to get his team selection right on Friday, starting with Craig Gordon.  If we are to produce a miracle, I think Forest will be right at the heart of it up front.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

🤣

On Hendry’s shot.... he doesn’t have much else on, O’Donnell is 10 yards to far back, had he been where he should’ve been Hendry doesn’t shoot and we build an attack.

Dykes must score his chance at this level and Robertson should do better but let’s not forget he’s a defender. 

We matched a decent side and we really should remember we qualified through the back door and are facing talented sides who will give any team a game.

56 minutes ago, Cade said:

ONE GAME in after a 23 year absence and we're a meme worthy joke already.

:sob:

He can’t play Marshall surely. Can you imagine the grief he’s going to get even before a ball is kicked ?

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

He can’t play Marshall surely. Can you imagine the grief he’s going to get even before a ball is kicked ?

he'll claim not playing him would kill his confidence and destroy the player

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

As we're likely to get a hammering I'd rather he stuck with Marshall for this one and keep the real goalkeeper for the last game 

7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

As we're likely to get a hammering I'd rather he stuck with Marshall for this one and keep the real goalkeeper for the last game 

He’ll get it tight if he runs out. Pro or not, it will affect him. 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

ONE GAME in after a 23 year absence and we're a meme worthy joke already.

:sob:

The only remedy is for some ***** to flip the ball over Mings head and volley it in 

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

On Hendry’s shot.... he doesn’t have much else on, O’Donnell is 10 yards to far back, had he been where he should’ve been Hendry doesn’t shoot and we build an attack.

Dykes must score his chance at this level and Robertson should do better but let’s not forget he’s a defender. 

We matched a decent side and we really should remember we qualified through the back door and are facing talented sides who will give any team a game.

Hendry should have played it to O'Donnell and continued his run for a ball down the line. It was a bad decision to hit that shot when he's left 40 yards of space behind him, a lack of discipline. Saying that, 9 times out of 10 the Czechs wouldn't have had a rebound run so kindly for them. It was unfortunate. 

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

🤣

I absolutely agree with all of this.

Over the game there was little between the Czechs and us. They scored one good goal and one freak (good finish but hardly earned). We had a solid penalty claim denied, hit the bar, their keeper made several excellent saves and we finished with almost twice as many attempts on goal. Did they have more class than us? Yes. Were we unlucky with how things turned out? Also yes.

It’s depressing how fast everyone turns on the team. ‘All our players are shite and we’re hopeless.’ Well, if that were the case then we wouldn’t have created as many chances as we did. I think the criticism of Steve Clarke for picking players on sentiment is valid though - we didn’t pick our best team.

6 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I absolutely agree with all of this.

Over the game there was little between the Czechs and us. They scored one good goal and one freak (good finish but hardly earned). We had a solid penalty claim denied, hit the bar, their keeper made several excellent saves and we finished with almost twice as many attempts on goal. Did they have more class than us? Yes. Were we unlucky with how things turned out? Also yes.

It’s depressing how fast everyone turns on the team. ‘All our players are shite and we’re hopeless.’ Well, if that were the case then we wouldn’t have created as many chances as we did. I think the criticism of Steve Clarke for picking players on sentiment is valid though - we didn’t pick our best team.

Spot on.

I think people forget how shite we have been, yet we'd give as good as we get v the likes of the Czechs, Croatia, Austria etc.. We've improved a fair bit in a short space of time. 

The difference is that we lack a player upfront like Schick who plays against Bundesliga defenders that maybe give a forward one or two chances away a game, so guys like Schick, Lewendowski etc.. are ruthless finishers and accurate as ****. He'd have buried the chances Dykes had. 

Elsewhere, very little difference. They were marginally stronger than us through the middle, which we dealt with but if we had Tierney, we'd have terrorised them down our left flank and tbf to Robertson, 1st half he did that himself. 

This is progress, it needs more time and we need to produce more players but we have the likes of Patterson, Hickey, Gilmour, Turnbull coming through and probably a few others that will work their way to a good level. On top of that, there is a crop of good players in their early to mid 20's like Tierney, Robertson, McTominay, McGinn and Adams. So there's plenty reason to be hopeful for in the future. 

54 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Spot on.

I think people forget how shite we have been, yet we'd give as good as we get v the likes of the Czechs, Croatia, Austria etc.. We've improved a fair bit in a short space of time. 

The difference is that we lack a player upfront like Schick who plays against Bundesliga defenders that maybe give a forward one or two chances away a game, so guys like Schick, Lewendowski etc.. are ruthless finishers and accurate as ****. He'd have buried the chances Dykes had. 

Elsewhere, very little difference. They were marginally stronger than us through the middle, which we dealt with but if we had Tierney, we'd have terrorised them down our left flank and tbf to Robertson, 1st half he did that himself. 

This is progress, it needs more time and we need to produce more players but we have the likes of Patterson, Hickey, Gilmour, Turnbull coming through and probably a few others that will work their way to a good level. On top of that, there is a crop of good players in their early to mid 20's like Tierney, Robertson, McTominay, McGinn and Adams. So there's plenty reason to be hopeful for in the future. 

What concerns me is that we seem no closer to producing an international class forward. Naismith is the closest we’ve had recently and even he wasn’t that great at that level. The last one we had was Duncan Ferguson, who fell out with the SFA and refused to play.

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

What concerns me is that we seem no closer to producing an international class forward. Naismith is the closest we’ve had recently and even he wasn’t that great at that level. The last one we had was Duncan Ferguson, who fell out with the SFA and refused to play.

Duncan Ferguson could fall out with his own shadow

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Duncan Ferguson could fall out with his own shadow

More likely to batter the shit out of it.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Spot on.

We have a forward who plays (and scored the same number of league goals as Schick last season) against EPL defenders though and Clarke left him out.

I agree we played quite well but I'm very frustrated with a couple of Clarke's selections - Marshall and Christie mainly - and non selections - Adams, Fraser and Gordon. Clarke's determination to approach the finals as a way to reward the players who got us there instead of trying to win by playing the best players available and putting sentiment aside has cost us already.

Edited by ToqueJambo

27 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We have a forward who plays (and scored the same number of league goals as Schick last season) against EPL defenders though and Clarke left him out.

I agree we played quite well but I'm very frustrated with a couple of Clarke's selections - Marshall and Christie mainly - and non selections - Adams, Fraser and Gordon. Clarke's determination to approach the finals as a way to reward the players who got us there instead of trying to win by playing the best players available and putting sentiment aside has cost us already.

Spot on Toque, spot on lad.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Spot on.

we just need to pick our best players,

Billy Gilmour at age 20 would be playing for every team in the completion outside of the big 5. And he would be the only player we have capable of breaking into those teams

Nathan Paterson is a better player than O’Donnell every single day of the week, he’s only 19 but there are quite a few younger players starting for better nations 

Adams is a far better player than Dykes 

I like Christie as a player but he’s been mince for 6 months, Turnbull playing alongside has been at an entirely different level.

Forrest and Fraser provide an attacking threat / width. One of them should have been starting

Sure you can’t accommodate all of those players but my biggest gripe is we’ve set out not to lose, instead of trying to win.

Scotland have better players than the Czech Republic, playing at bigger clubs and a higher level.  They were absolutely bang average . We should have gone for it but no, perceived safety and “loyalty” have cost us the game. 

It was pathetic cowardly management from Steve Clark.  

Edited by kingantti1874

Maroon Sailor

I can't remember seeing any goalkeeper standing there 51 minutes in to a match. That can't have been what he was told to do - it's ridiculous !

20210616_000204.thumb.jpg.d20a9cd121f0bc23526df8d9feaee1cd.jpg

portobellojambo1
4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

he'll claim not playing him would kill his confidence and destroy the player

The main concern I have in terms of the goalkeeper position is if he does put Craig Gordon in, and on the day all England's forward players click as a unit resulting in a heavy defeat and Craig carrys the can as a result.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Meh.

Scotland had multiple chances in the game. Id actually be embarassed to take a 2-0 win if I was czechs. They were bang average apart from schick. Scotland battered them for the majority of the game. We played much better than wales who played shite and got a draw. That's football.

England is a derby game and croatia looked awful v england at wembley..I suspect they were spooked by the previous days events though. 

Anyway we need to get a goal at least and take it from there. Once again no way in hell was that a 2-0 game v czechs.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Is this Euro 96?

Well we do have a donkey called Hendry at CH and someone with an English accent in midfield 🤔😜?!?!

Pasquale for King

I think it will be a different game initially anyway on Friday, we will be the ones sitting back playing on the break with no pressure on us. 
As a result Marshall won’t be sweeping 45 yards from his own goal. We can but hope Clark picks the right players in the right positions. 

6 hours ago, Boab said:

That's a really good point.  I hadn't thought of it.  It would virtually be an act of cruelty to pick him.

I've mentioned before I really rate Sterling.  I also rate Forest highly although he's not as good.  To me they're players who look threatening virtually every time they get the ball and they're also quick.

Forest was very unlucky not to score in added time when he left defenders for dead in a brilliant run before his shot was deflected in a last ditch effort.

If Gordon, Forest and Fraser are on the bench I will be mightily disappointed.

11 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Or Cg could keep us in it? Got to be gordon for me but it won't be.

Japan Jambo

It'll be interesting how the team reacts to us having the absolute piss ripped out of us. Too many 'unlucky' comments imo but they have two games left to prove ourselves worthy.

Gotta feel for Marshall, artificial high to artificial low but that is social media in 2021 for you. I hope that if he is picked it's because he is the best player for the job (in SC's opinion) and not for sentimental reasons. Unfortunately I suspect we will be looking for scapegoats at the end of this so I'm not sure how much of a favour he'd be doing by playing him.

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

chrsite started well and was trying to go past them, it seemed to fail one odonnell blocked him when he was in the box on a run

Hate to be a downer here, guys, but I can see us failing to score in the next two games. If the Czechs were bang average, as some are saying, we’re in trouble against England and a Croatia team who won’t play as badly again in the tourney.

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

Hate to be a downer here, guys, but I can see us failing to score in the next two games. If the Czechs were bang average, as some are saying, we’re in trouble against England and a Croatia team who won’t play as badly again in the tourney.

We saw how utter shite our forwards were against Luxembourg the other week when we created a ton of decent chances.

The problem we have is that its virtually a must win game and that can allow us to get picked off on the break.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

We saw how utter shite our forwards were against Luxembourg the other week when we created a ton of decent chances.

The problem we have is that its virtually a must win game and that can allow us to get picked off on the break.

That’s my fear. We won’t get as much room as we had on the left wing on Monday. These guys know Robertson well and that will be closed off. I honestly can’t see us making anything like the chances we had on Monday.