• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Nookie Bear
29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The squad was a bit bloated when I arrived, signed 13 players including 5 wingers. 
Article says we are looking to promote some youngsters into the squad, weeks after Bob said no youngsters would play until we were established back in the top flight. 
Im not sure what’s worse, the awful journalism or the clueless lying manager who contradicts himself constantly. 

Neither the journalist and manager are as clever as they like to think.

3 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Yep, agree with you on Smith, especially as he advances in terms of age, CB might be the best spot for him.

Logan is a good prospect but I'm not sure if he is ahead of a fit Jamie Brandon in the pecking order to be honest. As you say, probably not ready for a starting role but should play a role in the squad next season.

Listening to Robbie on that podcast, he was talking about having 2 formations. You would much rather have 1 formation you were good at that your players are suited to than a few formations that you don't have the players for. His track record is to tinker with the lineup and the formation so I don't expect that to change unfortunately.

Aye, I like Smudge, and I actually think his quality is pretty good further up the field, but I also think he's seemed very hesitant to roam forward - whether that's him or the coaching I don't know, but he's a very good RCB or middle man of a three (is there an acronym for that - CCB????

Christ forgot about Brandon, and I'm a fan too.  He's had so many issues and pace is a big asset.  Not sure we can rely unfortunately.

On the formations.  Ach, I duno.  You can have 2 formations and they can involve 3 and 4 at the back and your players can be clever enough to play them.  I guess I just hope we don't chop and change for the sake of it.

I bring this up to prove my point a fair bit, but I remember we pumped Hamilton with a 442 type formation, Garuccio at LB, Demi at LM and they tore them apart.  Must have been near start of Levein's time.  Next game, three at the back!

I get having options and adaptability up the sleeve, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you talk too much about what the opposition do and we're doing ABC to stop their XYX, do you think you're ever sending your players out to dominate?  At the top level, 5% of mindset makes a huge difference.  As the 3rd biggest club in our country, we should be doing nothing but revving our players up and telling them they're better than the oppo so go out and prove it.  I don't care if thats 442, 4231, 343 or whatever.  Man City change formation a bit.  I hope we change ours to suit the players playing not the players they're playing against.  Player X is injured this week, OK better play a 442 with who is available... that's fine.  Ross County's CM is pretty quick, right better change how we play to combat that - nope!  Ross County's CH is slow, OK lets play Hendo instead of Gnadno, yep.  Ross County's CH is small, let's play Gnando... yep.  Ross County's CH is big, let's play Halliday as he's better in the air at defending set pieces... nope.

Biffa Bacon
27 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Correct! Good post mate 👍... this 'article' could have been about any manager on any given season. Doesn't tell us much,... and is pretty much par for the course for us. At least this season we have someone of Joe Savages ilk, to help out. Hopefully he proves invaluable to us, going forward.

Agreed, what do we expect him to say? He needs to be flexible, with the situation changing day by day. Why would a player sign up early, they will be viewing options and may end up at Hearts if they cannot secure their first choice. Its a 2 way process not just what Hearts want.

Rogue Daddy
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aye, I like Smudge, and I actually think his quality is pretty good further up the field, but I also think he's seemed very hesitant to roam forward - whether that's him or the coaching I don't know, but he's a very good RCB or middle man of a three (is there an acronym for that - CCB????

Christ forgot about Brandon, and I'm a fan too.  He's had so many issues and pace is a big asset.  Not sure we can rely unfortunately.

On the formations.  Ach, I duno.  You can have 2 formations and they can involve 3 and 4 at the back and your players can be clever enough to play them.  I guess I just hope we don't chop and change for the sake of it.

I bring this up to prove my point a fair bit, but I remember we pumped Hamilton with a 442 type formation, Garuccio at LB, Demi at LM and they tore them apart.  Must have been near start of Levein's time.  Next game, three at the back!

I get having options and adaptability up the sleeve, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you talk too much about what the opposition do and we're doing ABC to stop their XYX, do you think you're ever sending your players out to dominate?  At the top level, 5% of mindset makes a huge difference.  As the 3rd biggest club in our country, we should be doing nothing but revving our players up and telling them they're better than the oppo so go out and prove it.  I don't care if thats 442, 4231, 343 or whatever.  Man City change formation a bit.  I hope we change ours to suit the players playing not the players they're playing against.  Player X is injured this week, OK better play a 442 with who is available... that's fine.  Ross County's CM is pretty quick, right better change how we play to combat that - nope!  Ross County's CH is slow, OK lets play Hendo instead of Gnadno, yep.  Ross County's CH is small, let's play Gnando... yep.  Ross County's CH is big, let's play Halliday as he's better in the air at defending set pieces... nope.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist and usually bang on about 4-4-2... but i really liked the 3-5-2 approach of the last few games. Looking closer, I actually think our squad matches up to this formation most - and by 'most' I mean players in their proper positions... with the added flexibility of decent back-up options (ie. Smith, for me is a cracking right sided CB - but is also very solid at RWB, as a back-up option). I never understand the chop and change approach, I don't know how teams are supposed to build up any consistency with this attitude but more than that, I think it's important we don't go down the road of square pegs for round holes... surely the last few games have shown us this?

I agree with what your saying about changing players to combat 'threats' or take advantage of 'weaknesses' but not the system... I'll bet the uglies stick to the same formation week in week out and do ok (yeah, I now, they have the budget) but if we stick to the same system (and add in 3/4 players to suit this system) I think we should see better consistency - one of RNs biggest downfalls IMO.

We still have at least 5/6 to sign this window, seeing a lot talking about fees if the right player comes up we will pay. We never actively set out to pay a fee on any signing. Will always look at the free market if no one is of interest then we look to loans or those in budget 👍🏻

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aye that's fair enough, suppose you can say what you want about shape but it really comes down to a style of play. Are we playing a high-tempo, high pressing game, are we sitting in organised and looking to break quickly when we do win the ball back. For me, not really having an identity in terms of how we play over the past few seasons has been what has really let us down. I suppose if you were being generous you would describe our style as 'patient', but you would more accurate to say 'ponderous'.

5 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Aye that's fair enough, suppose you can say what you want about shape but it really comes down to a style of play. Are we playing a high-tempo, high pressing game, are we sitting in organised and looking to break quickly when we do win the ball back. For me, not really having an identity in terms of how we play over the past few seasons has been what has really let us down. I suppose if you were being generous you would describe our style as 'patient', but you would more accurate to say 'ponderous'.

100 million zillion percent mate.  So much chat about formations and to an extent, they're just numbers on paper: 442, 433, diamonds, blah blah.  Identity is way, way more important.

For me, ours is high intensity.  You won't outfight us.  We'll outrun you.  We want it more.  Whether you have the ball or we do, you won't get a second's rest.  Then if you do cede to us, we can play and we will.

We've lost that the last few years, we really have.  Like you say, ponderous - we wait and "feel our way in" to games.   Yuck!

Got a Celitc mate (I know) who was talking about this and it was interesting from an outside perspective.  He said that the thing over the years about Hearts was you always knew you were in for a fight.  He was saying it's been very noticable for a few seasons that that reputation has gone.  He's not wrong.  First thing we need to fix.

If we really are focusing on quality over quantity, it'll be the first time in living memory.

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Really hope we go for Hendry at Raith.  Looks a really good player on the ball. 

I like that Vaughn, thought he's looked good every time I've seen him. 

Heartsofgold
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Dangerous game.  I, like many, are maybe a wee bit hung up on Alan Campbell, but fact is we have a McGinn type situation on our hands in Scotland here.  Huge potential - a guy who gives it his all but has ability to match that, but perhaps falls just short of being ready for the OF to be interested.  He is EXACTLY the type of player we should be going all out to sign.  I'm not sure the club can let him go elsewhere in Scotland (espec hibs) and have him storm it.  It's a bigger risk than the money imo.  Consider what we've wasted on pish.  Put this years pish all on 2 players, one of whom we need to pay dev fee, the other free but maybe biggish wages.

Let's face it, we could get rid of 9/10, sign a new LCB plus Campbell and we'd be absolutely fine.  Keep Cammy Logan, rather than loan, same C Smith.  We have good 1st X1 and decent backup all over

Gordon

Souttar Smith Halks

Logan Haring Campbell Kingsley

GMS

Boyce Gnando

And that's without signing the CH.  You have Naisy to add up front, Walker an impact sub, Gino (who I hope we keep) to add in various roles there) and even Halliday who is a good utility, if not a starter for me.  We're then backed up by some of the youth such as Hendo, Smith, McGill and whoever else may be ready to be in and around it.  It'd be a tight squad, but I think that's what we need to get back to.

Bench: Stewart, McGill, Gino, Halliday, Hendo, Naismith, Walker

I'd keep Irving too, but guessing out our hands and not happening.

I;m begging you, for the love of all that's holy, please stop talking sense.  It'll give you an ulcer.

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Can’t see him coming to us Tosh.  Not with his love of all things green and white. 

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I'm a bit of a traditionalist and usually bang on about 4-4-2... but i really liked the 3-5-2 approach of the last few games. Looking closer, I actually think our squad matches up to this formation most - and by 'most' I mean players in their proper positions... with the added flexibility of decent back-up options (ie. Smith, for me is a cracking right sided CB - but is also very solid at RWB, as a back-up option). I never understand the chop and change approach, I don't know how teams are supposed to build up any consistency with this attitude but more than that, I think it's important we don't go down the road of square pegs for round holes... surely the last few games have shown us this?

I agree with what your saying about changing players to combat 'threats' or take advantage of 'weaknesses' but not the system... I'll bet the uglies stick to the same formation week in week out and do ok (yeah, I now, they have the budget) but if we stick to the same system (and add in 3/4 players to suit this system) I think we should see better consistency - one of RNs biggest downfalls IMO.

I don't like the chop and change approach either, with me it is more about playing the correct players in their best position tho. 

Naismith out right, Boyce deeper and going back a bit Djoum/ Prince out on the right does my tits in. 

The uglies don't change much domestically, but when playing in Europe - when they play better teams they  do change. 

Also, consistency imo is one of Neilson's strengths, if anything he's gets our league form consistent. 

Bazzas right boot

Dangerous game.  I, like many, are maybe a wee bit hung up on Alan Campbell, but fact is we have a McGinn type situation on our hands in Scotland here.  Huge potential - a guy who gives it his all but has ability to match that, but perhaps falls just short of being ready for the OF to be interested.  He is EXACTLY the type of player we should be going all out to sign.  I'm not sure the club can let him go elsewhere in Scotland (espec hibs) and have him storm it.  It's a bigger risk than the money imo.  Consider what we've wasted on pish.  Put this years pish all on 2 players, one of whom we need to pay dev fee, the other free but maybe biggish wages.

Let's face it, we could get rid of 9/10, sign a new LCB plus Campbell and we'd be absolutely fine.  Keep Cammy Logan, rather than loan, same C Smith.  We have good 1st X1 and decent backup all over

Gordon

Souttar Smith Halks

Logan Haring Campbell Kingsley

GMS

Boyce Gnando

And that's without signing the CH.  You have Naisy to add up front, Walker an impact sub, Gino (who I hope we keep) to add in various roles there) and even Halliday who is a good utility, if not a starter for me.  We're then backed up by some of the youth such as Hendo, Smith, McGill and whoever else may be ready to be in and around it.  It'd be a tight squad, but I think that's what we need to get back to.

Bench: Stewart, McGill, Gino, Halliday, Hendo, Naismith, Walker

I'd keep Irving too, but guessing out our hands and not happening.

Makes sense but only concern is Haring / Souttars fitness. 

We have 2 big players  that if they break down will really hurt us. 

Maybe just go as you say tho and worry about Injuries if they happen. 

In Scotland you can have 6/7 run of the mill types who are big, physical and run about and only have 3/4 ballers and be absolutely fine, you need them to stay fit tho. 

Scottish football isn't difficult, we have a good chance due to the numbers leaving to add quality and kick on. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Can’t see him coming to us Tosh.  Not with his love of all things green and white. 

We have green grass..

and white on our strips 👍

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

We have green grass..

and white on our strips 👍

Aye but we shite all over the club he supports 👌

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

I think this is quite an old list. Looking at Fulham and Barnsley for example, Luca De La Torre moved to Holland at the tail end of last year and Barnsley have offered new deals to everyone apart from Mowatt. The deadline for clubs to publish their Retained Lists is some time this week, so that's probably what to keep an eye on just now.

Ah I see. Can't say I follow English football very closely at all.

29 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Is this a Hearts transfer thread or football manager thread?

Said the same earlier. Not a genuine rumour or snippet of info.

davemclaren
Just now, SteauaNeedarest said:

Which is a good thing as it keeps the surprise going.  😄

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
11 minutes ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

If you're coming to kickback in search of genuine rumours....

4 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

If you're coming to kickback in search of genuine rumours....

Nah of course not but normally something in the paper or someone hears something. This thread is just a mish mash of people saying they've seen this player or that when in reality they're probably reviewing stats from Football Manager.

stevie1874

Well said, Neilson worries to much about other teams with less quality than try and impose our set up on them. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Under the floodlight said:

If Damour was a contestant on the Chase he would go for the negative offer, we need more players who want to add to the team, have a good work ethic and have quality as well. I think scouting in Ireland  also would yield fruit as well.

They would need to be given a work permit which is unlikely unless they’re top quality. 

stevie1874
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Been very unlucky with injuries but your right he has something. Think  I’d rather we persevere with Henderson

Under the floodlight
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They would need to be given a work permit which is unlikely unless they’re top quality. 

Even though Ireland is in the EU, I think a reciprocal agreement exists, although I could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Been very unlucky with injuries but your right he has something. Think  I’d rather we persevere with Henderson

He’s genuinely another injury away from retiring.  I thought he would make it big when he came through a few years back. 

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

I;m begging you, for the love of all that's holy, please stop talking sense.  It'll give you an ulcer.

It's a dangerous game on here and one I tend to steer clear of!!

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Even though Ireland is in the EU, I think a reciprocal agreement exists, although I could be wrong.

You are correct. 

Makes sense but only concern is Haring / Souttars fitness. 

We have 2 big players  that if they break down will really hurt us. 

Maybe just go as you say tho and worry about Injuries if they happen. 

In Scotland you can have 6/7 run of the mill types who are big, physical and run about and only have 3/4 ballers and be absolutely fine, you need them to stay fit tho. 

Scottish football isn't difficult, we have a good chance due to the numbers leaving to add quality and kick on. 

Aye yer right, overly optimistic, but I think with Pete especially where it was a weird one which eventually we got to the bottom of, you just now need to count him in.  Soapy, perhaps as it's a repeat of something catastrophic, it's a bit more fingers crossed.  If we sign one senior/starter CH, then we'd still have that guy plus Halks and Smith, so still think we only need one.

I do think that unprecedented injury run a few years back hasn't helped in bloating our squad.  Was like Levein then just started playing numbers.  Need to get out of that mindset.  Maybe we don't have the qual there, but the aim is surely that kids fill the gaps if you get hit by injuries beyond the usual strain here and there.

jamboinglasgow

Something I always wonder whether it is worth targeting is players released by English Academies. By that I dont mean the ones in the early 20s but the ones at age 18 who are let go as they have become too old for Under 18 football but not take on for U23. I am sure we could be attractive to these players if it means a quick route to first team football rather than being picked up by another club for reserve football

Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

Something I always wonder whether it is worth targeting is players released by English Academies. By that I dont mean the ones in the early 20s but the ones at age 18 who are let go as they have become too old for Under 18 football but not take on for U23. I am sure we could be attractive to these players if it means a quick route to first team football rather than being picked up by another club for reserve football

You'd hope Savage would have contacts where we'd be able to pick up to odd punt in that market.  The likes of Bobby Burns and Keena, bit different in his background etc, but that sort of thing where the lad comes in hoping to make our 1st team squad rather than straight in to it.  Not against it at all.  It's somewhere between an academy and senior signing really.  One year deal, with option of second...

stevie1874
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Is that not what some teams down south do,  Brentford ? I might be wrong 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

The SFA haven’t confirmed what the deal will be here but it’s likely to mirror this. They can’t deviate from UK law with Ireland or any other country. 
https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/01/gbe-points-based-system-launched-011220

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/2765746/scottish-clubs-signings-from-europe-in-january-to-be-approved-by-sfa-appeals-panel-as-post-brexit-system-still-being-worked-out/

50 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hate to say I was correct. But I was. 

Folk expecting us to go out and pay actual money for "Scottish talent". :lol:

Savage was hired to use his contacts.

Over to him now...

I know. Any good young players in Scotland will end up at Aberdeen or Hibs if either of the old firm aren't interested. Years ago we used to at least try and compete against the ugly sisters and if it was between Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibs it would be in that order a player would choose from most of the time. We've dropped that far behind that we are likely to compete with St Mirren, Dundee Utd etc now and there's no guarantee they'd choose Hearts over them even. Yet the powers that be expect us to dip into our pockets and sell the third highest amount of season tickets in Scotland again? Pffft! They're in cloud-cukooland. Sad state of affairs, it really is.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

You'd hope Savage would have contacts where we'd be able to pick up to odd punt in that market.  The likes of Bobby Burns and Keena, bit different in his background etc, but that sort of thing where the lad comes in hoping to make our 1st team squad rather than straight in to it.  Not against it at all.  It's somewhere between an academy and senior signing really.  One year deal, with option of second...

They would need to be better than those two. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

They would need to be better than those two. 

Oh yeah, def, just the theory of lads coming in at that age isn't bad at all.  I guess the rub is as long as not prioritised in front of our own kids, so need to be clearly better than our own 17/18 yearold in that position

Rogue Daddy

I don't like the chop and change approach either, with me it is more about playing the correct players in their best position tho. 

Naismith out right, Boyce deeper and going back a bit Djoum/ Prince out on the right does my tits in. 

Totally agree.

The uglies don't change much domestically, but when playing in Europe - when they play better teams they  do change. 

Correct... I was going for a domestic point, but then again, the uglies are better than most and shouldn't have to change - but so should we be IMO.

Also, consistency imo is one of Neilson's strengths, if anything he's gets our league form consistent. 

Hmmm, not sure about this (from this season). I wouldn't say our performances were consistent - as I said a few posts back, our last 4 games we played 3 at the back and our performances were good apart from against Morton (but was largely the same personnel). I don't know if that was by instruction or just poor play due to the 'pitch', but definitely not as good as the other 3 games. We're far better on the front foot taking games to teams but we haven't been showing that every game this past season... again, it's possibly how they are being instructed to approach certain games. To me, it's inconsistency and we need to be better.

Rogue Daddy
1 minute ago, pointon said:

Oh for a decent rumour 

...doesn't even need to be a 'marquee' signing... a small 'tent' would  do. Slow news day....

Under the floodlight
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thanks for the links, I found this one which refers to a pre EU agreement that gives reciprocal rights to live and work in either country.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Under the floodlight said:

Thanks for the links, I found this one which refers to a pre EU agreement that gives reciprocal rights to live and work in either country.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/common-travel-area-guidance

I had forgot about that 👍🏽, hopefully it means their players can move freely too. 
I do wonder if someone challenged the UK government on whether players from both halves of Ireland, England and Wales are viewed as foreigners, as they are in football terms whether this would need to change. 
Now whether we should be looking at their youngsters instead of concentrating on producing our own is another discussion. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...doesn't even need to be a 'marquee' signing... a small 'tent' would  do. Slow news day....

Not Pelé then 😂?

Just now, jr ewing said:

Free agents. Luvvly Jubbly. :vrface:

Reveal hidden contents

Like i've said before, there are three types of free agents.

The ones from crap clubs that get released because they're not even good enough for that particular club anyway. (Frears and Popescus)

The ones that are at the arse-end of their careers looking for one last pay-day (Berras, Naismiths, Gordons)

Then the ones who are young but need to get away from their club to refresh their careers. (Jimmy Dunne types)

We sign the first and second types but not the third.

(Basically the hopeless and the old. Not young, hungry and ambitious)

The second types are (mostly) fine as they offer experience, the first types should be nowhere near Tynecastle, the third types should be our target market as there's potential big sell-on fees a few seasons down the line. 

It's all about showing some ambition by signing third type frees, improving the squad and bringing some cash in a while later. Not bloating the squad with happy-just-to-get-a-wage types who go through the motions.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh yeah, def, just the theory of lads coming in at that age isn't bad at all.  I guess the rub is as long as not prioritised in front of our own kids, so need to be clearly better than our own 17/18 yearold in that position

That’s my problem, why bring in the likes of those two instead of progressing young folk who already reside here and are of the same ability. With the post Brexit laws and Irish players being allowed to come the best of them will be snapped up even quicker you would think. 

25 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Could not agree more I would have thought we would have had pre contracts agreed well before now

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***