***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

12 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Obika's leaving St Mirren, wonder if we'll be going in for him!

Id sign him just for the Tequila chant

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

The Old Tolbooth
35 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Oh how exciting,no plans on players just going to see which players pop up. Player lottery incoming AGAIN! 🙄

I've never been as non plussed about entering a new season in all my life, I just can't get up for it at all under this shower of clowns and I'm really pinning my hopes on Savage being a bit of a hero here, because I wouldn't trust Neilson with any sort of budget! 

hmfc_liam06

Hearts fan: I'd rather we got rid of the deadwood and signed a handful of quality over quantity.

Neilson: I think there will be more going out than coming in. It's just about getting the quality up.

Hearts fan: FFS mAd RoBbiE oOt

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hearts fan: I'd rather we got rid of the deadwood and signed a handful of quality over quantity.

Neilson: I think there will be more going out than coming in. It's just about getting the quality up.

Yup, its mad that when something sensible is said that people panic. If you include all first team players (including first team players who were out on loan this season) and players we had in loan, then our first team squad is 32 players. Removing players we had in on loan (apart from Stewart who has signed permanently) and players already confirmed to be leaving at the end of the season, then thats already 9 players gone (with likely 3 players due to be out of contract leaving as well.) So we are not going to sign at least 12 new players in the summer and we would be stupid to do so.

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, its mad that when something sensible is said that people panic. If you include all first team players (including first team players who were out on loan this season) and players we had in loan, then our first team squad is 32 players. Removing players we had in on loan (apart from Stewart who has signed permanently) and players already confirmed to be leaving at the end of the season, then thats already 9 players gone (with likely 3 players due to be out of contract leaving as well.) So we are not going to sign at least 12 new players in the summer and we would be stupid to do so.

It's crazy how much Neilson triggers folk, literally everything he says folk are micro-analysing.

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's crazy how much Neilson triggers folk, literally everything he says folk are micro-analysing.

Yeah, completely agree. I understand that people are uneasy and think he is a poor manager. But the level of every word or phrase is analysed is mad. 

Though it does feel part of a wider problem among Hearts fans online, where an element have become ultra negative. Thats not saying you cant be criticial and pessimistic about how things are going next season, but I have seen people take it to a level that is way over the top. 

Gordon Ramsay
25 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm no fan of Robbie but he's not said anything wrong there.

That is the correct approach. 

Whether we sign the correct players though, I'm not so sure. 

It's imperative we hit the ground running next season. 

Absolute Scenes

I think part of the reason Hibs have done well in the past is they manage to keep the core of their team the same. I don’t think the players are particularly good and only a couple of swap our current players for, however team chemistry plays a massive part in creativity, morale and overall football so I think that despite what looked like a depressing season, I do believe we have the makings of a good squad, couple if quality additions and I think some people might be surprised at how well we do. We need to start building on keep a solid chemistry in the team, not changing it with 10 signings each window

So we’re not going to be paying £500k for development fees for Campbell then? 

Well, colour me shocked. 

Nookie Bear
20 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah, completely agree. I understand that people are uneasy and think he is a poor manager. But the level of every word or phrase is analysed is mad. 

Though it does feel part of a wider problem among Hearts fans online, where an element have become ultra negative. Thats not saying you cant be criticial and pessimistic about how things are going next season, but I have seen people take it to a level that is way over the top. 

It's difficult not to be negative when the manager seems so defeatist.

"we'll be in the bargain basement picking up whatever we can find, maybe fill a few gaps elsewhere if there is any money left...or perhaps not...whatever gets us into a position to consolidate our position in the SPL...zzzzzz"

Roll Up Roll Up Get Your Season Tickets Here 😄

We also paid money in January for McEneff? Why can we not pay a fee for the right player? Why even talk about this to the media? Where's the money going?

Howdy Doody Jambo
25 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Neilson is not winning 90% of the support back, Savage needs to get the signings spot on to keep him in a job 

Leveins Battalion

Nobody is more annoyed with Budge and Neilson than me but he has not said anything wrong here.:vrface:

fast_blood
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

"we'll be in the bargain basement picking up whatever we can find, maybe fill a few gaps elsewhere if there is any money left...or perhaps not...whatever gets us into a position to consolidate our position in the SPL...zzzzzz"

We also paid money in January for McEneff? Why can we not pay a fee for the right player? Why even talk about this to the media? Where's the money going?

Have you read the article? The words used like probably and mainly suggests there will be room for manoeuvre. 

As you point out, we spent some on Mceneff recently. I'd imagine the same will apply but we are unlikely to be spending much on fees. 

Folk are picking faults for picking faults sake. Let's just see what happens. Not only that I'd suggest giving any new players a chance before judging but we all know that won't happen with a lot of folk on here. 

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Clubs always have to be careful when talking about possible transfers as it can have an effect on things. I read years ago that Lyon had a transfer strategy and one of things they did was if a player was wanted by another club, they always say "the player is not for sale" even if the club were looking to sell. This is because it put up the price as the club looking to buy would think they have to put a higher offer in to get them.

The same is true with clubs looking to sign. If Robbie said that they are looking to buy players and have some money to spend, a club who we are looking to buy from may see that and push the price up. Its better to plead poverty.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Clubs always have to be careful when talking about possible transfers as it can have an effect on things. I read years ago that Lyon had a transfer strategy and one of things they did was if a player was wanted by another club, they always say "the player is not for sale" even if the club were looking to sell. This is because it put up the price as the club looking to buy would think they have to put a higher offer in to get them.

The same is true with clubs looking to sign. If Robbie said that they are looking to buy players and have some money to spend, a club who we are looking to buy from may see that and push the price up. Its better to plead poverty.

I actually just don't get this daily update that the News seems to think is worthwhile. It's just random musings from Robbie and adds nothing but confusion.

Incidentally, if we are looking predominantly at free signings then it doesn't matter how much money clubs think we have because they don't own that player.

Dangerous game.  I, like many, are maybe a wee bit hung up on Alan Campbell, but fact is we have a McGinn type situation on our hands in Scotland here.  Huge potential - a guy who gives it his all but has ability to match that, but perhaps falls just short of being ready for the OF to be interested.  He is EXACTLY the type of player we should be going all out to sign.  I'm not sure the club can let him go elsewhere in Scotland (espec hibs) and have him storm it.  It's a bigger risk than the money imo.  Consider what we've wasted on pish.  Put this years pish all on 2 players, one of whom we need to pay dev fee, the other free but maybe biggish wages.

Let's face it, we could get rid of 9/10, sign a new LCB plus Campbell and we'd be absolutely fine.  Keep Cammy Logan, rather than loan, same C Smith.  We have good 1st X1 and decent backup all over

Gordon

Souttar Smith Halks

Logan Haring Campbell Kingsley

GMS

Boyce Gnando

And that's without signing the CH.  You have Naisy to add up front, Walker an impact sub, Gino (who I hope we keep) to add in various roles there) and even Halliday who is a good utility, if not a starter for me.  We're then backed up by some of the youth such as Hendo, Smith, McGill and whoever else may be ready to be in and around it.  It'd be a tight squad, but I think that's what we need to get back to.

Bench: Stewart, McGill, Gino, Halliday, Hendo, Naismith, Walker

I'd keep Irving too, but guessing out our hands and not happening.

Rogue Daddy
2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I'm not so sure mate. He seems to cover all bases here... without saying anything really. It makes sense to tap into the 'free agents' market as there will probably be quite a lot of them this year. But he also states 'quality signings' which, I would imagine, would cost something... depending on what he regards as 'quality'.

He's certainly not going to come out with named targets to alert all and sundry... so I would take this 'article' with a pinch of salt. Hearts have certainly kept some recent signings close to their chest, of late - I mean, we didn't really get a whiff of GMS signing until he did.

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Neilson is not winning 90% of the support back, Savage needs to get the signings spot on to keep him in a job 

Edit: Not worth it and off topic.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

To be fair to RN the article again is garbage,this could mean working on pre contracts.

Why pay a fee when you can sign a quality player for free?

I'm happy to wait and see what plays out.

I agree with him though that the squad was far too big and of poor quality.

Wait a minute you argued we had money to spend on players based on what we never paid for Boyce and McEneff (your figures) oh my sides!

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Reporter asks standard question of football club manager. Manager gives standard answer. Having spoken to manager, reporter has no more idea of what's happening at the club than posters on, say, Jambos Kickback, and does exactly the same as the posters would do once they read his article - writes as though the manager is letting him in on his signing strategy and, because he says he will be looking to sign out of contract players, and doesn't say he's got money available for transfer fees, the (short) article suggests the club will only be signing free transfer/out of contract players.

But the manager could just be doing one of three things...

1) Telling the truth so he doesn't build up, then disappoint, supporters' expectations.

2) Holding back on the truth because he doesn't want other clubs to know that he has funds available.

3) Giving a neutral response because he doesn't have a clue what's going to happen with player recruitment when the new manager (Joe King) takes over by the end of the week. 

The interview, content and tone, is just the way Neilson is.

He could turn up on my doorstep with a £100m+ Euromillions cheque and stlll leave me feeling depressed about it.

He's right not to talk up our signing plans. I just hope it is a deliberate bit of downplaying and they're a bit more encouraging than they sound.

Like many, I'm inclined to pessimism regarding Neilson but there's no point in moaning about the Summer window signings before they've happened. 

Edited by martoon

David Black
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

3 or 4 good players is all that’s required imo.  We can’t sign another 8 / 10 dross players 

That's it exactly. Four players max.and that includes Ginelly. 1 CB, 1 creative MF and 1 striker. If he sticks by the quality over quantity comment I'll be delighted. 

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Wait a minute you argued we had money to spend on players based on what we never paid for Boyce and McEneff (your figures) oh my sides!

Your post is absolutely pointless,having money to spend on players (which we have the last 2 transfer windows) and opting to find value in pre-contracts and expired contracts is not even an argument is it?

Your just not very intelligent are you.:kirk:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lower expectations from the get go. Correct strategy rather than promising world cup stars

Rogue Daddy
Just now, Sir Gio said:

Lower expectations from the get go. Correct strategy rather than promising world cup stars

Pretty much what I'm thinking.

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

100%

Saint Jambo
11 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Again, unless they’ve got dual nationality for a UK nation, I’m not sure how they could be signed under the new immigration points system. I’m curious as to how an Irish team can sign Han (Zahibo born in France so fine for EU). Also, Zahibo only signed for Dundalk last month, and Han in March.

11 hours ago, RENE said:

Would these laws stop players like Irving from moving to Euro clubs?

Each country in the EU gets to decide their own immigration rules for workers from outside the EU. So in the two cases above, it depends what rules the Irish/ German governments set for nationals from South Korea/ UK wanting visas to play professional football. It could vary widely from country to country within the EU.

Nookie Bear
26 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

Have you read the article? The words used like probably and mainly suggests there will be room for manoeuvre. 

As you point out, we spent some on Mceneff recently. I'd imagine the same will apply but we are unlikely to be spending much on fees. 

Folk are picking faults for picking faults sake. Let's just see what happens. Not only that I'd suggest giving any new players a chance before judging but we all know that won't happen with a lot of folk on here. 

Exactly, just random musings that add nothing and i should know better than to get too worked up about it :thumbsup:

We will see what happens over the summer.

HEARTS FOREVER
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Always happy to be proved wrong. And always happy to admit it.

👍

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Of all the shitty sticks we have to beat Neilson with this interview isn’t one. Is it - come on.

If he comes out with - “we’ve got. £3m ear heat for signings this summer” we’d get absolutely fleeced by other clubs and overpay for poorer quality.

As what is no mode than a chewing gum type interview there is nothing wrong with it.

Jamtastico

Folk need to give it time. This window will show what Savage is capable of imo...

Some folk need to chill the f'out 😂

1 minute ago, Jamtastico said:

Folk need to give it time. This window will show what Savage is capable of imo...

Some folk need to chill the f'out 😂

Capable or not capable. We'll see. 

Every signing that they make has to substantially improve the XI. There is no room for error. 

Jamtastico
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Of all the shitty sticks we have to beat Neilson with this interview isn’t one. Is it - come on.

If he comes out with - “we’ve got. £3m ear heat for signings this summer” we’d get absolutely fleeced by other clubs and overpay for poorer quality.

As what is no mode than a chewing gum type interview there is nothing wrong with it.

Yup, it's "we don't have any content as nothing is happening" type piece from the EEN for f'sake! 😂

...and a typical end of season response from any manager in any country in the world

24 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I'm not so sure mate. He seems to cover all bases here... without saying anything really. It makes sense to tap into the 'free agents' market as there will probably be quite a lot of them this year. But he also states 'quality signings' which, I would imagine, would cost something... depending on what he regards as 'quality'.

He's certainly not going to come out with named targets to alert all and sundry... so I would take this 'article' with a pinch of salt. Hearts have certainly kept some recent signings close to their chest, of late - I mean, we didn't really get a whiff of GMS signing until he did.

I think people are getting knickers in a twist here.  What market do we and every other non OF club in Scotland work in??  In reality?

Free agents can mean many things as far as quality.  Jimmy Dunne will be a free agent.  Do we not want him?  Alan Campbell will technically be a free agent, do we not want him?

There will be a lot of lads leaving Championship & L1 clubs cutting costs due to new wage caps etc.  There will be guys who just didn't quite cut it at Prem clubs, looking for their first real run at 1st team football.  I know it was a loan at the time, and injuries aside, wouldn't we want another Demi Mitchell on our hands?  That type of quality I mean.  To an extent, we need to trust Joe Savage on this.

Seems very weird to me that all Robbie has really said is we're not looking to pay fees and people are upset.  When do we ever really expect us to do so?  The odd one here and there very low value in recent seasons but 99% of our signings are out of contract.

I do get the nerves all round.  We've been through the ringer as a support and we're jump AF basically.  We're stuck with Robbie, I kind of think we just need to get behind him.  If he makes a tit of it, we just need to hope the club act fast.

The good thing here is that if we don't sign many players, we're not lumbering the next guy with a bloated squad.

Vlad the impaler

I’m all for clearing deadwood out from a bloated squad. The umbridge I take from what Robbie said is he says we want quality in,what happens if quality players don’t get freed. Where’s the planning? I would have thought since they’ve been working on it since January that we’d be quite far down the road with some players,not sitting about to see who pops up. Let’s hope it’s his poker face but Iv not much faith I have to say 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Dangerous game.  I, like many, are maybe a wee bit hung up on Alan Campbell, but fact is we have a McGinn type situation on our hands in Scotland here.  Huge potential - a guy who gives it his all but has ability to match that, but perhaps falls just short of being ready for the OF to be interested.  He is EXACTLY the type of player we should be going all out to sign.  I'm not sure the club can let him go elsewhere in Scotland (espec hibs) and have him storm it.  It's a bigger risk than the money imo.  Consider what we've wasted on pish.  Put this years pish all on 2 players, one of whom we need to pay dev fee, the other free but maybe biggish wages.

Let's face it, we could get rid of 9/10, sign a new LCB plus Campbell and we'd be absolutely fine.  Keep Cammy Logan, rather than loan, same C Smith.  We have good 1st X1 and decent backup all over

Gordon

Souttar Smith Halks

GMS

Boyce Gnando

And that's without signing the CH.  You have Naisy to add up front, Walker an impact sub, Gino (who I hope we keep) to add in various roles there) and even Halliday who is a good utility, if not a starter for me.  We're then backed up by some of the youth such as Hendo, Smith, McGill and whoever else may be ready to be in and around it.  It'd be a tight squad, but I think that's what we need to get back to.

I think Robbie has said that he's looking to play Mikey Smith mostly at RB next season, so definitely need at least 1 CH in, probably 2 as I don't imagine Popescu has much of a future at the club. I'd also imagine he'll sign at least 1 wide player also in addition to Gino. But as you say, squad isn't that far away, we just need to trim the crap and make a few really quality additions.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-list-championship-players-set-20003512

I assume with quality over quantity and likely Naismith and Damour going we'll be paying higher wages so some Championship and better League One will be where we're aiming.

Anyone see any there that look likely?

Edited by Sertse

Jamtastico
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Capable or not capable. We'll see. 

Every signing that they make has to substantially improve the XI. There is no room for error. 

Totally agree... Everyone know.... Including our Rob... That we need more quality and less quantity.

But it is a very big window for our club... We need to get back on track, other wise things will be a lot different come Christmas

Pasquale for King

The squad was a bit bloated when I arrived, signed 13 players including 5 wingers. 
Article says we are looking to promote some youngsters into the squad, weeks after Bob said no youngsters would play until we were established back in the top flight. 
Im not sure what’s worse, the awful journalism or the clueless lying manager who contradicts himself constantly. 

We need a left sided Centerhalf or at the very least someone that is comfortable on their left foot. 

Someone to compete with Haring, if he's injured we need someone to break and play and make forward passes from deep positions. 

We need another CM that links the midfield and attack, Allan Campbell would be perfect but it looks unlikely given the competition. 

Hopefully we sign Ginnelly as we need his sort of pace. 

On top of that we probably need a RWB and another Striker. 

1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I think Robbie has said that he's looking to play Mikey Smith mostly at RB next season, so definitely need at least 1 CH in, probably 2 as I don't imagine Popescu has much of a future at the club. I'd also imagine he'll sign at least 1 wide player also in addition to Gino. But as you say, squad isn't that far away, we just need to trim the crap and make a few really quality additions.

Yeah, was just putting together a team with "if we only sign Campbell" scenario!

Bit of an aside, but I actually hope we don't play Smith wide right, certainly not if we persist with 3 at back.  I want a bit more energy and forward thrust than Mick gives us in that position.  Let's get Clare back!  haha.  

I think Smith's best games for us have almost all been at CH.  Like he's 7/10 at RB and steady as you like, but I'd rather have that at CH and our RB to be really positive and have 9/10 in him more often.  Does that make sense, kind of??

If our 4 CH options are Souttar, Smith, Halkett and a newb, that'll do it, backed by Kingsley and Haring who can drop in and who knows re young Flatman.

I do like the look of Logan at RB, but wouldn't have a clue if he's ready to be put in as first choice...

While I'm at it, another thing i don't want to see is us chopping and changing formation every week.  Tweaks, yes, but 3 then 4 then 3 then 4 at the back, nope, settle in, get to know eachother, let others worry about what we do.

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, Sertse said:

https://footballleaguefc.com/championship-free-agents-2020-21/

I assume with quality over quantity and likely Naismith and Damour going we'll be paying higher wages so some Championship and better League One will be where we're aiming.

I think this is quite an old list. Looking at Fulham and Barnsley for example, Luca De La Torre moved to Holland at the tail end of last year and Barnsley have offered new deals to everyone apart from Mowatt. The deadline for clubs to publish their Retained Lists is some time this week, so that's probably what to keep an eye on just now.

43 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Souttar Smith Halks

GMS

Boyce Gnando

Sorry to quote myself - bad form!

I forgot McEneff!!!

Go all out to sign Campbell, pluck out an LCH and maybe an RWB and be done with it, on top of Ginnelly.  If 12 players go and we replace with 4 (incl retaining a loanee), got to think that'd doable.  Wonder how much hinges on Damour being shifted???!?!

Under the floodlight
4 minutes ago, Sertse said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-list-championship-players-set-20003512

If Damour was a contestant on the Chase he would go for the negative offer, we need more players who want to add to the team, have a good work ethic and have quality as well. I think scouting in Ireland  also would yield fruit as well.

Rogue Daddy
14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think people are getting knickers in a twist here.  What market do we and every other non OF club in Scotland work in??  In reality?

Free agents can mean many things as far as quality.  Jimmy Dunne will be a free agent.  Do we not want him?  Alan Campbell will technically be a free agent, do we not want him?

There will be a lot of lads leaving Championship & L1 clubs cutting costs due to new wage caps etc.  There will be guys who just didn't quite cut it at Prem clubs, looking for their first real run at 1st team football.  I know it was a loan at the time, and injuries aside, wouldn't we want another Demi Mitchell on our hands?  That type of quality I mean.  To an extent, we need to trust Joe Savage on this.

Seems very weird to me that all Robbie has really said is we're not looking to pay fees and people are upset.  When do we ever really expect us to do so?  The odd one here and there very low value in recent seasons but 99% of our signings are out of contract.

I do get the nerves all round.  We've been through the ringer as a support and we're jump AF basically.  We're stuck with Robbie, I kind of think we just need to get behind him.  If he makes a tit of it, we just need to hope the club act fast.

The good thing here is that if we don't sign many players, we're not lumbering the next guy with a bloated squad.

Correct! Good post mate 👍... this 'article' could have been about any manager on any given season. Doesn't tell us much,... and is pretty much par for the course for us. At least this season we have someone of Joe Savages ilk, to help out. Hopefully he proves invaluable to us, going forward.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah, was just putting together a team with "if we only sign Campbell" scenario!

Bit of an aside, but I actually hope we don't play Smith wide right, certainly not if we persist with 3 at back.  I want a bit more energy and forward thrust than Mick gives us in that position.  Let's get Clare back!  haha.  

I think Smith's best games for us have almost all been at CH.  Like he's 7/10 at RB and steady as you like, but I'd rather have that at CH and our RB to be really positive and have 9/10 in him more often.  Does that make sense, kind of??

If our 4 CH options are Souttar, Smith, Halkett and a newb, that'll do it, backed by Kingsley and Haring who can drop in and who knows re young Flatman.

I do like the look of Logan at RB, but wouldn't have a clue if he's ready to be put in as first choice...

While I'm at it, another thing i don't want to see is us chopping and changing formation every week.  Tweaks, yes, but 3 then 4 then 3 then 4 at the back, nope, settle in, get to know eachother, let others worry about what we do.

Yep, agree with you on Smith, especially as he advances in terms of age, CB might be the best spot for him.

Logan is a good prospect but I'm not sure if he is ahead of a fit Jamie Brandon in the pecking order to be honest. As you say, probably not ready for a starting role but should play a role in the squad next season.

Listening to Robbie on that podcast, he was talking about having 2 formations. You would much rather have 1 formation you were good at that your players are suited to than a few formations that you don't have the players for. His track record is to tinker with the lineup and the formation so I don't expect that to change unfortunately.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***