***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

JamboJoker98

Seems like a sensible option for cover at left back. Presumably there is a chance Kingsley will be out for periods and Halliday is seen as predominantly midfield? Just a loan so low risk

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

14 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Left back? We already have 2

Taking the number 17 - GMS must be changing his number then. Thought if he was a LB and 3 is available he would of taken that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Hmmm.

Given Kingsley's inability to stay fit this probably makes sense. I suppose it would feel better if he signed post signing a centre half. Anyway, welcome to the famous.

There are concerns hence this signing. 

Pasquale for King

He must be decent to play for his country at that level, will probably start in the cup games. 

His injury problems last season fill me with a bit of fear but looks on paper a solid signing and will be steady deputy. 

We get a loan deal and still  negative comments from those that know nothing. Honestly, they’d moan if they won the lottery 

Just now, Cruyff said:

We want players in for pre season. We've seen what happens when we begin a season unprepared. 

Absolutely. I was being sarcastic as we know how long it takes for us to get players in. But yes, the sooner we get players in the quicker they'll integrate with the rest of the squad.

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Dunne wasn’t exactly Baresi but at 21 he had a better track record than a single game in the isthmian southern league and half a dozen for a Belgian diddy team. 
I’m happy to give him a chance but Hearts screaming it’s a “coup” and calling him “highly rated” is a cringe.

With only 4500 STs renewed at full price, it seems like we are going down the bargain basement route with this sort of signing.

3fingersreid

Hope he works out well for us but I’d rather avoid loan signings ( just my preference) .

From wiki- On 5 February 2021, it was announced that Cochrane has suffered an injury which would keep him out for the rest of the season.

Hopefully not a sign of what's to come

7 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Dunne wasn’t exactly Baresi but at 21 he had a better track record than a single game in the isthmian southern league and half a dozen for a Belgian diddy team. 
I’m happy to give him a chance but Hearts screaming it’s a “coup” and calling him “highly rated” is a cringe.

They're hardly going to play him down are they.

Let's just see how he does.

Just now, Baxfee said:

We get a loan deal and still  negative comments from those that know nothing. Honestly, they’d moan if they won the lottery 

This deal suits Hibs. 

Welcome fella.

Only conerns are:

Does this mean we see Halliday as  CM?  Hope not.

Are we penny pinching cos we'd already had Harry's strip printed?

Positives:

young lad, eager to get his career started, not a bad kind of market for us even on loan

gives us options, incl Kingsley at LCB in a 3

"just" a loan means we're adding to the squad but imagine budget-wise perm signings in more essential positions not effected

Impossible to be whelmed in any direction so anyone showing any whelm degree is at it!

Berra than you
Just now, David McCaig said:

With only 4500 STs renewed at full price, it seems like we are going down the bargain basement route with this sort of signing.

Not saying that we weren't planning on a low spend window anyway, but I imagine the club budgeted on reduced season ticket numbers, and I'd be surprised if they factored in the full price option at all given they were offering reasonable alternatives.

25 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

A signing from Hibs parent club? 

I read an article on the Brighton website about this and saw that David Weir is with them so maybe he influenced him coming to us.

Carl Fredrickson

His contract at Brighton is up at the end of the season so this could be a positive for us if he impresses and enjoys hsi time here.  A 21 year old former England under 20 player (ok only a couple of games) with not much first team experience. This could/should be the kind of player we are looking at to bring in, develop & if they leave, sell for a profit. 

Welcome and good luck

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Hope he works out well for us but I’d rather avoid loan signings ( just my preference) .

One of the positions we seem to loan players in. Mitchell and Smith-Brown . I'd imagine Kingsley will be first choice when fit but would be good to have quality in all positions. 

1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

His contract at Brighton is up at the end of the season so this could be a positive for us if he impresses and enjoys hsi time here.  A 21 year old former England under 20 player (ok only a couple of games) with not much first team experience. This could/should be the kind of player we are looking at to bring in, develop & if they leave, sell for a profit. 

Welcome and good luck

Ah makes even more sense if deal up at end of season.  Never know, might even try to tie up in Jan if he's doing ok

5 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Yip would moan it wasn't a rollover week

upgotheheads
19 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Happy to give him a chance but signing what seems a fairly mediocre unproven left back on loan from Brighton is hardly ‘awe inspiring’.

He only played half a dozen games for a Belgian lower league diddy team last season, it’s not exactly the best track record for helping us challenge for 3rd/4th this season. 

Robbie Neilson spent at least one season at a Scottish diddy team, went on to become a mainstay of Hearts over a long period, and won a cap.

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

One of the positions we seem to loan players in. Mitchell and Smith-Brown . I'd imagine Kingsley will be first choice when fit but would be good to have quality in all positions. 

Hope he's more a first season Mitchell than a Smith-Brown!

Good luck to the lad. Hopefully does well and we see him in the team for some of the friendlies coming up.

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

I fully agree regarding the quality , just hope it’s not the start of a host of loanees though

2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Welcome and good luck

If he does well Brighton will give him an extension, I feel we have been played here. 

Hibs cash in on Doig next season. 

Hope he does well with us. 

BackOfTheNet

I’m seeing this as a replacement for Aidy White. Someone who can step in when needed, mostly off the bench be at left back or left midfield.

Not audaciously whelming though but good luck to the lad!

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

When you look at the wages they pay £200k is about what they will pay Dunnes replacement, no way they’re waiving any fee. Which is fair enough as they’re fans would want to know why they let players go for nothing. They might take a sell on clause in the contract and a smaller fee though. 

Yes. My thinking was that we could maybe have offered to even pay half his development fee now and the other half later. Also throw in any potential sell-on clause. I'm sure there's different permutations that go on between clubs regards fees etc. 

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Not to be negative however did we actually need this player? I thought our targets were centre back and a striker?

Who else plays left back if Kingsley can’t? Sensible signing. Cheap and nothing to lose. Welcome Alex.

Ibrahim Tall
1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Probably, to be honest under the financial constraints I’d even understand that. The club just blatantly lying and pretending we’ve signed some superstar prospect from Brighton that everybody wants and that we’re so ‘lucky’ to get, doesn’t help anyone though, Cochrane especially. 
Even a quick glance at his career so far shows actually playing for Hearts senior team would be by FAR the biggest challenge and highest level he’s been at so far. Kid will have enough pressure on him without pretending we’ve signed Reece James.

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Not to be negative however did we actually need this player? I thought our targets were centre back and a striker?

It could well be that they have had to do this due to the Kingsley injury situation and wanting to utilise Halliday elsewhere.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Definitely needed this player. Was surprised when notified a left back was on radar, this is actually a decent bit of proactive work for a change rather than reaction when it would have been too late. 

Positive news ahead I think 

Only issue is if this means Halliday is seen as a CM for next season. Really hope we strengthen in their with 2 first team options

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Not saying that we weren't planning on a low spend window anyway, but I imagine the club budgeted on reduced season ticket numbers, and I'd be surprised if they factored in the full price option at all given they were offering reasonable alternatives.

Obviously any comments need to caveated with the fact that none of us have seen him play, but the quotes on our website claiming a 'coup' seem completely at odds with the playing career of someone who is now 21.

It seem more like the sort of back-up signing that would sneak into a newspaper's in-brief column rather than a transfer to be lauded.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, bistokid said:

Only issue is if this means Halliday is seen as a CM for next season. Really hope we strengthen in their with 2 first team options

Bit of flexibility I think 

When I was at ricarton last week Kingsley was training with a separate group being watched by the physio. So presuming he's not fit enough to join the main group so it's defo a sensible signing

1 minute ago, bistokid said:

Yup said that above.  Hope is basically this kid is seen as better than Halliday as cover at LB or to compete with Kingsley and Halliday is very much utility man on the bench

Nookie Bear

Probably the sort of signing that would be fine if it came on the back of 3 good players coming in as starters. 

Still time 🤷‍♂️

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, David McCaig said:

Obviously any comments need to caveated with the fact that none of us have seen him play, but the quotes on our website claiming a 'coup' seem completely at odds with the playing career of someone who is now 21.

It seem more like the sort of back-up signing that would sneak into a newspaper's in-brief column rather than a transfer to be lauded.  

Depends who else wanted him. Always take that stuff with a pinch of salt in any case 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

More to do with the complete inability of the last DoF to  sign a decent LB. 

Lets hope this guy contributes more than the two you mentioned, one of which is playing for Blackpool as a right winger and the other at Farsley Celtic in the national football league. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Probably the sort of signing that would be fine if it came on the back of 3 good players coming in as starters. 

Still time 🤷‍♂️

Aye it's a funny one, the club have to announce the signings as they sign, especially with pre-season already on the go.

But to stop all the weeping, be better if this signing came after others probably.  I've no doubt we'll be signing a couple of players who we think will improve our first XI, but there'll also be some squad padding too, such as this.  No offence to the kid and I hope he storms it.

Might be better than Kingsley. Let's reserve judgement on the laddie. I'm sure we will bring in the players in other positions we need. 

The Old Tolbooth

Weird one, I get it from the point of view that Kingsley may be injured a lot, but I thought Hibs had a Brighton tie up? If he was any good they'd have snapped him up surely with that tie up no? Just a thought... 

Probably been mentioned already but havnt Hibs just signed some agreement to be linked with Brighton?

Seems odd we would then get one of their "highly rated" prospects

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***