• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 hour ago, Dayman said:

A Scottish player currently playing his trade in the championship?

It wasn’t, the guy wasn’t playing anymore but he wasn’t old - guess he never made it because he’s not playing football now. 

TyphoonJambo
12 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Pretty.shitty.city...

Apart from the Hibby wank,a great film

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Pretty sure Mitchell came our way as Derby signed another left back instead. (If they ever were interested in the first place) Dunne would take Swansea over us even if it was starting on the bench as he’ll have faith in his own ability, like all younger players do, that he’ll break into the first team. If he’s still not getting regular first team football at 25/26 then I can see him lowering demands for such a move. But again, we have no idea if Swansea are even interested but if they are we don’t stand a chance.

To be frank I can’t see Savage looking at the Scottish market in the slightest.

Same could be said, are Swansea really interested.  We don't know. 

I'm willing to keep an open mind. 

millerjames398
18 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Apart from the Hibby wank,a great film

The hibs wank whose gutted dip, after the 1-5 drubbing, still makes me piss myself laughing to this day😂,,,and also a great film👍🏼

50 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Pretty.shitty.city...

Wales is just full of Englishmen with their heids kicked in. 😉

Batistuta87

**** Swansea 🙁

In all fairness if Burnley are due a dev fee and won't waive it, we've no chance. Our only hope really was that he enjoyed it enough last time to come back, and that Burnley would waive their fee. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Jimmy Dunne made 7 appearances and was a regular in the match squad for an EPL team last season. He's also an Ireland international. How on earth could we ever even consider signing him? If we pulled it off it would be a major coup. If he was 32 or something, maybe. But not at 23 and still with a realistic EPL career in front of him.

If by some miracle we do I hope Neilson and Savage get the kudos they would deserve.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, King prawn said:

Absolutely. If Ginelly can get a run of games together then I think we’ve got a decent player on our hands.

Like soapy and haring expect a nervous groan from the stands every time anyone puts in a challenge!!!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Jimmy Dunne made 7 appearances and was a regular in the match squad for an EPL team last season. He's also an Ireland international. How on earth could we ever even consider signing him? If we pulled it off it would be a major coup. If he was 32 or something, maybe. But not at 23 and still with a realistic EPL career in front of him.

If by some miracle we do I hope Neilson and Savage get the kudos they would deserve.

I think you are somewhat overegging Jimbos profile. 

Largely a flop at most places, I reckon GMS cost more on wages 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You don't think he's probably on 3 to 4 times what we could pay and has been playing at a higher level? It would be a huge coup for a player still at an age where he'll be expected to develop, and realistically could get a lot better. At around Dunne's age now Matt Doherty had been on loan at Hibs and was in his first season as an English championship player. 2 or 3 years later he was tearing up the EPL.

Edited by ToqueJambo

19 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

i dont think he has ever playerd for the senior ireland side, had two call ups but no game time. and which club was he at when he got that first call up?

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i dont think he has ever playerd for the senior ireland side, had two call ups but no game time. and which club was he at when he got that first call up?

I know he was with us. Kind of contradicts the people who say we can't develop players and question why decent players would come to us to further their careers. I'd love to sign him I just think it would be a very large coup to get a young player in the international setup from an EPL first team squad.

Edited by ToqueJambo

30 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Yep, he's got a lot of good attributes but he's still pretty raw. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Yep, he's got a lot of good attributes but he's still pretty raw. 

As was Matt Doherty around the same age.

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As was Matt Doherty around the same age.

Struggling to see your point here. Doherty at 23 had just broken into the Wolves team (in the Championship) after a couple of loans to Hibs etc. 

Dunne is not a massively unrealistic target for us. He's played here before, he's been released by Burnley after they publicly said that he was "probably a Championship player" (despite his loan spell here being his only good one).... 

Realistically, we can compete for average to lower end Championship players. At this moment in time, Dunne is around that level. His previous loans were actually quite rubbish so he's done nothing yet to suggest that he can command some massive salary down south. If we have made him an offer, I can bet any money that he was at least willing to listen to what we had to say. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
30 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You don't think he's probably on 3 to 4 times what we could pay and has been playing at a higher level? It would be a huge coup for a player still at an age where he'll be expected to develop, and realistically could get a lot better. At around Dunne's age now Matt Doherty had been on loan at Hibs and was in his first season as an English championship player. 2 or 3 years later he was tearing up the EPL.

I doubt he was remotely close to being a high earner at Burnley. A senior pro like GMS  I would expect to be on more having been at Celtic then MLS.

In truth though I think we will go European route.

Bit of a bad spell at Sunderland, his other loans not so inspirational, not sure he is quite the catch. He seemed like a good fit for us, maybe not so much elsewhere. 

Not a 20k a week player, not a 10k a week player. 

It will be interesting  to see what impact Joe Savage has. So far his biggest achievement  has not been signing a load of dross.

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

47 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Anyway, enough of who we aren't signing, who are we signing?

Nobody has a clue who we are signing.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Sir Gio said:

I doubt he was remotely close to being a high earner at Burnley. A senior pro like GMS  I would expect to be on more having been at Celtic then MLS.

Bit of a bad spell at Sunderland, his other loans not so inspirational, not sure he is quite the catch. He seemed like a good fit for us, maybe not so much elsewhere. 

10K is nothing for a reserve player let along a first team player at an EPL club. Or a Championship club even.

This might give people an idea of what goes on behind the scenes//.........over 100 videos sent to potential signings |||

Ross County chief Roy MacGregor insists new arrivals are imminent (pressandjournal.co.uk)

“We’ve sent players videos of the set-up at Ross County. We are saying ‘if you can’t travel here, take a look at this’. Over the last 10 days, we have sent out more than 100 of these to potential signings.”

PS good to see Dingwall still has video 😉

Edited by CJGJ

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Struggling to see your point here. Doherty at 23 had just broken into the Wolves team (in the Championship) after a couple of loans to Hibs etc. 

Dunne is not a massively unrealistic target for us. He's played here before, he's been released by Burnley after they publicly said that he was "probably a Championship player" (despite his loan spell here being his only good one).... 

Realistically, we can compete for average to lower end Championship players. At this moment in time, Dunne is around that level. His previous loans were actually quite rubbish so he's done nothing yet to suggest that he can command some massive salary down south. If we have made him an offer, I can bet any money that he was at least willing to listen to what we had to say. 

Comparable in that at 23 Doherty was nowhere near the player he became. Certainly from what we saw earlier at Hibs when he was about the same age as Dunne when he was with us. It's just my opinion that signing a 23-year old player from an EPL first team squad who is at least on the fringes of the international set up would be a very good signing. Form his previous clubs, Burnley, Sunderland and Fleetwood Town (and Swansea if they are after him) all pay much more than we do. Of course in my view Hearts would be a great move for him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

10K is nothing for a reserve player let along a first team player at an EPL club. Or a Championship club even.

I think it is to be honest. Not for star players. But for squad members especially less skilled as in defenders.  

FFP is huge and severe penalties, and in truth Dunne is largely unproven in the top 2 tiers. 

He would be a gamble for a Championship team. 

Hearts fans only take into account 4 good months for Hearts rest of the profile is pretty questionable 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think it is to be honest. Not for star players. But for squad members especially less skilled as in defenders.  

FFP is huge and severe penalties, and in truth Dunne is largely unproven in the top 2 tiers. 

Hearts fans only take into account 4 good months for Hearts rest of the profile is pretty questionable 

We'll see where he goes. Swansea were top 4 championship last season. I liked him a lot for us. A no-nonsense defender with a goal threat at the other end. He'd complement Souttar and Halkett.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

English wages are all over the place. My benchmark is still the fact that players like Andy Kirk from us to Boston Utd and Adam Rooney from Aberdeen to Salford doubled or tripled their wages going to English League Two or even lower level. In Kirk's case that was before the REALLY big money flooded into English football. I can only imagine what first team squad EPL or top 6 Championship players players earn but I'm pretty sure it's at least 2 or 3 times what we can pay our top earners. Allan Campbell at Luton will be getting much more than we could pay him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

BackOfTheNet
20 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

MLS is a weird league when it comes to wages, huge disparity at the same teams never mind players in the same league. Won’t be unusual to have many players on £2-£5k but in the same team have a player on £80k. Ryan Gauld for instance had been linked with a mover to Montreal Impact on wages of about £50k a week.

Ainsley Harriott
3 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Swansea City are closing in on a deal to sign former Hearts defender Jimmy Dunne. 

The 23-year-old is out of contract this summer with his deal at Burnley set to expire at the end of this month. 

The former Manchester United defender was a fans favourite at Tynecastle but a return to Hearts this summer was financailly unrealistic.

Preston are also interested in Dunne with Burnley due a development fee for the central defender.

What a shock 

Batistuta87
51 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Comparable in that at 23 Doherty was nowhere near the player he became. Certainly from what we saw earlier at Hibs when he was about the same age as Dunne when he was with us. It's just my opinion that signing a 23-year old player from an EPL first team squad who is at least on the fringes of the international set up would be a very good signing. Form his previous clubs, Burnley, Sunderland and Fleetwood Town (and Swansea if they are after him) all pay much more than we do. Of course in my view Hearts would be a great move for him.

He would be a fantastic signing for us. But I think you're getting a bit carried away in terms on the wages he'll have been on at Bury, and will be offered by Swansea if the reports are accurate. Their estimated wages for their CBs last year are wildly erratic. A comparable player for me would be Joel Latibeaudiere who wasn't deemed good enough for the PL and was subsequently allowed to leave Man City, he's on an estimated £2k p/w. Ryan Bennett their top earning CB on approx £20k p/w, another on £5k and another on £900. 

A high estimate on Dunne's Burnley wage is about £7k p/w, and on the basis that they've told him he's not good enough for that level and that they don't see him having a future there, he is going to need to step down both in terms of quality and wages. I reckon he'll be looking for about £4-5k p/w, and we were paying Berra around that amount so it's not an unrealistic amount for us. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

He would be a fantastic signing for us. But I think you're getting a bit carried away in terms on the wages he'll have been on at Bury, and will be offered by Swansea if the reports are accurate. Their estimated wages for their CBs last year are wildly erratic. A comparable player for me would be Joel Latibeaudiere who wasn't deemed good enough for the PL and was subsequently allowed to leave Man City, he's on an estimated £2k p/w. Ryan Bennett their top earning CB on approx £20k p/w, another on £5k and another on £900. 

A high estimate on Dunne's Burnley wage is about £7k p/w, and on the basis that they've told him he's not good enough for that level and that they don't see him having a future there, he is going to need to step down both in terms of quality and wages. I reckon he'll be looking for about £4-5k p/w, and we were paying Berra around that amount so it's not an unrealistic amount for us. 

None of us know really want players earn. Where's your proof that's what Berra was on?

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

MLS is a weird league when it comes to wages, huge disparity at the same teams never mind players in the same league. Won’t be unusual to have many players on £2-£5k but in the same team have a player on £80k. Ryan Gauld for instance had been linked with a mover to Montreal Impact on wages of about £50k a week.

Correction to this, mixed up my Canadian teams, it’s Vancouver Whitecaps, not Montreal, that are offering him that huge weekly wage.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think the link to the Croatian in Turkey seems most realistic but I suppose what I'm suggesting not all Championship players will be earning huge money. They too need to cut cloth, if one chose to make a player a top earner, yeah we are blown out, but in a squad of 20 be very surprised if they were all earning 10k a week plus.  Simply some must be getting a pathetic 5k a week  :)

On 12/06/2021 at 09:07, BackOfTheNet said:

So, nothing by the end of the working week, but some still think something is to happen by the end of the calendar week - could today be the day?

My prediction: Liam Polwarth and an underwhelming player will be announced when the Scotland game is on on Monday.

On 12/06/2021 at 12:02, BackOfTheNet said:

Could be. Imagine Brexit has a knock on effect too. Not just ability to get EU/Schengen area players in limited, but because they’re limited it puts UK based players in a stronger negotiating position in a way.

Liam Polworth “and” an underwhelming player. Please replace and with is.

7 minutes ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Polworth signed for Kilmarnock last week

Saint Jambo
2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

This might give people an idea of what goes on behind the scenes//.........over 100 videos sent to potential signings |||

Ross County chief Roy MacGregor insists new arrivals are imminent (pressandjournal.co.uk)

“We’ve sent players videos of the set-up at Ross County. We are saying ‘if you can’t travel here, take a look at this’. Over the last 10 days, we have sent out more than 100 of these to potential signings.”

PS good to see Dingwall still has video 😉

Thanks. Interesting read. Some similarities to Hearts in the discussion of the revamp of the recruitment process, the struggle to recruit players early, waiting on the English market opening up, the frustration of fans, and the challenges playing young players last season.

I hope there is a difference in what does sound quite a scatter gun approach of sending videos to over 100 players in a week. Sounds like they potentially need to add more players than us. But it is interesting how hard that targeted approach must be with multiple clubs approaching each player.

On the back of reading that, I went to look at the SPFL list of transfers. Discounting players who were already at clubs on loan and have been signed permanently, few premiership clubs have made more than a couple of signings so far: Livi 6, St Mirren 5, Aberdeen 4, Motherwell 3, Dundee Hamilton Rangers all 2, everyone else 1, then us and St Johnstone with none. Total of 28 new signings across 12 teams. Made me feel a bit better about how slow a summer it has been for Hearts signings.

Edited by Saint Jambo
Forgot to include the traditional jkb St Johnstone option.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

On the back of reading that, I went to look at the SPFL list of transfers. Discounting players who were already at clubs on loan and have been signed permanently, few premiership clubs have made more than a couple of signings so far: Livi 6, St Mirren 5, Aberdeen 4, Motherwell 3, Dundee Hamilton Rangers all 2, everyone else 1, then us with none. Total of 28 new signings across 12 teams. Made me feel a bit better about how slow a summer it has been for Hearts signings.

The big omission form that list is Celtic. They need massive recruitment.

Saint Jambo
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

The big omission form that list is Celtic. They need massive recruitment.

They are one of the teams to have made 1 signing - Liam Shaw. Agree they need to do a lot of work. There are probably a fair few other teams who have only signed 1 or 2 players who will be closer to 10 new players by the end of the window.

I actually missed St Johnstone who are also on 0 new signings. They haven't even got a loan signing made permanent so don't feature on the SPFL list yet. But imagine their fans are more worried about holding on to existing players.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

He’s not an international for a start. 

BackOfTheNet
33 minutes ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Someone’s found a Delorean…

31 minutes ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Barrie McKay this week

I got told he was signing 2 weeks ago from one of his mates ( had never spoke to this person before ) never been itk before . Even tried to message a couple of itk ers to see if this is what they had heard but they couldn’t receive messages 

BackOfTheNet

McKay seems to have lost his way a wee bit, not sure if he was injured but hardly played for Swansea in 19/20 and was loaned out to Fleetwood in League One. Then stayed at Fleetwood in League One on loan last season. Remember a few years ago played really well for Forest and when moved to Swansea people were expecting big things. Surprised he’s still only 26.

Saint Jambo

McKay would certainly fit a profile that we've gone for before. The out of contract Scot who has moved to England at quite a young age, struggled and now open to returning to Scotland. Unlikely to have massive sell on value even if he does well, but in theory good enough to be a regular starter for us.

Winger/ forward doesn't feel the highest priority to me with both Ginnelly and GMS, but clearly a type of player Neilson likes.

More believable than some of the other rumours that have appeared on here.

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

McKay would certainly fit a profile that we've gone for before. The out of contract Scot who has moved to England at quite a young age, struggled and now open to returning to Scotland. Unlikely to have massive sell on value even if he does well, but in theory good enough to be a regular starter for us.

Winger/ forward doesn't feel the highest priority to me with both Ginnelly and GMS, but clearly a type of player Neilson likes.

More believable than some of the other rumours that have appeared on here.

Good point, looking at the game he last scored (no.19 in the video) he seems to be a left winger cutting inside. When having Ginnelly already (and GMS, Walker and Roberts that can all play there) you wonder if it is true what the plans are.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***