Prince Buaben

What are people's thoughts on the rumoured cost cap breach?

Minor breach/material breach etc, potential punishment?

I reckon RB are playing a bit of a game and will have overspent nearly exactly the amount it cost them to replace Max's car after the Copse incident and will argue they shouldn't be penalised from a reduction to their available spend by damage caused by 'reckless' driving from other teams.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I reckon RB are playing a bit of a game and will have overspent nearly exactly the amount it cost them to replace Max's car after the Copse incident and will argue they shouldn't be penalised from a reduction to their available spend by damage caused by 'reckless' driving from other teams.

If that's allowed for in the cost cap, then fine. If it's not, which it isn't, then they've broken the rules/laws. I imagine that the sanctions haven't been properly thought through but it should be severe if they want the cap to mean anything. 25 point cut for every $1million they've gone over the cap.

Declared interest: I like Horner far less than I like any other team manager and Max Verstappen is my least favourite driver since I started watching the sport in the days of Gilles Villeneuve.

43 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

If that's allowed for in the cost cap, then fine. If it's not, which it isn't, then they've broken the rules/laws. I imagine that the sanctions haven't been properly thought through but it should be severe if they want the cap to mean anything. 25 point cut for every $1million they've gone over the cap.

Declared interest: I like Horner far less than I like any other team manager and Max Verstappen is my least favourite driver since I started watching the sport in the days of Gilles Villeneuve.

How can Max be your least favourite with guys like Latifi on the grid?!?! 😂😂

The cost cap feels totally worthless imo given what's excluded from it, particularly around salaries and travel.

An interesting question about least favourite though, I'd never really thought about my favourite to least favourite before.

Drivers probably something like:

Vettel 

Verstappen 

Bottas 

Lando 

Leclerc 

Alonso

Albon 

Tsunoda 

Perez

Zhou 

Magnusson 

Sainz

Schumacher

Hamilton 

Ricciardo 

Russell

Ocon

Gasly 

Stroll 

Latifi

Team managers; really don't care or know enough about them if pushed:

Favourite - Vasseur seems pretty funny 

Least favourite - Lawrence Stroll 

12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The cost cap feels totally worthless imo given what's excluded from it, particularly around salaries and travel.

An interesting question about least favourite though, I'd never really thought about my favourite to least favourite before.

Vettel 

Verstappen 

Bottas 

Lando 

Leclerc 

Alonso

Albon 

Tsunoda 

Perez

Zhou 

Magnusson 

Sainz

Schumacher

Hamilton 

Ricciardo 

Russell

Ocon

Gasly 

Stroll 

Latifi

If you’ve watched the F1 series on Netflix Gunther Steiner at Haas is a real character. 

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If you’ve watched the F1 series on Netflix Gunther Steiner at Haas is a real character. 

I totally forgot about Gunther!!! "Okay Gene"

Be less painful to lose last year's Championship after being brilliant this year. 

If indeed Red Bull have messed up or cheated. You never know the politics but Ferrari still have a lot of power. 

8 hours ago, Taffin said:

It's just Hamilton greetin again.

5 hours ago, Taffin said:

Vettel 

Verstappen 

Bottas 

Lando 

Leclerc 

Alonso

Albon 

Tsunoda 

Perez

Zhou 

Magnusson 

Sainz

Schumacher

Hamilton 

Ricciardo 

Russell

Ocon

Gasly 

Stroll 

Latifi

Favourite driver. Cobra F9 ::troll:: 

Seriously tho. David Coulthard is my favourite driver.

Least favourite Lewis Hamilton. By a distance. He's probably the reason I don't watch it anymore.

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Favourite driver. Cobra F9 ::troll:: 

😂😂 Very good!

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Seriously tho. David Coulthard is my favourite driver.

Least favourite Lewis Hamilton. By a distance. He's probably the reason I don't watch it anymore.

It was great watching Coulthard!! He's up right up there for me across the eras, I was just getting into it back then and it was cool to have him to support!

I P Knightley
17 hours ago, Taffin said:

Vettel 

Verstappen 

Bottas 

Lando 

Leclerc 

Alonso

Albon 

Tsunoda 

Perez

Zhou 

Magnusson 

Sainz

Schumacher

Hamilton 

Ricciardo 

Russell

Ocon

Gasly 

Stroll 

Latifi

Oh, it's completely irrational; I'll admit that. From the flat peak on his cap to his big old fishy lips going via his tremendous arrogance (which I realise is a quality that all the very best drivers have to have).

Latifi doesn't bother me because he doesn't feature in anything other than the occasional spin which spices up the race. By and large, they're just machines with no human appeal. Vettel has become better as his career has declined; Ricciardo seems fun to have a pint with and most of the rest seem like nice, privileged young chaps.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Oh, it's completely irrational; I'll admit that. From the flat peak on his cap to his big old fishy lips going via his tremendous arrogance (which I realise is a quality that all the very best drivers have to have).

😂😂 I'll give you that!!

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Latifi doesn't bother me because he doesn't feature in anything other than the occasional spin which spices up the race. By and large, they're just machines with no human appeal. Vettel has become better as his career has declined; Ricciardo seems fun to have a pint with and most of the rest seem like nice, privileged young chaps.

Latifi annoys me because he's a terrible driver (comparatively) and he wrecks other people's races too often.

I used to really like Danny Ric, but I've gone off him a lot for some reason that I can't really put my finger on. Generally they all seem pretty nice blokes as you say. 

15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

😂😂 I'll give you that!!

Latifi annoys me because he's a terrible driver (comparatively) and he wrecks other people's races too often.

I used to really like Danny Ric, but I've gone off him a lot for some reason that I can't really put my finger on. Generally they all seem pretty nice blokes as you say. 

For me I don't like the pay drivers as you end up blocking spots for potentially better drivers which would increase the spectacle of formula 1. 

George Russell seems to have developed the Toto Wolf arrogance when you hear some of his radio messages complaint about things like cars driving slowly. He needs to remember he got lucky and Norris probably would have been the better option for the Mercedes no 2 position

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

For me I don't like the pay drivers as you end up blocking spots for potentially better drivers which would increase the spectacle of formula 1. 

George Russell seems to have developed the Toto Wolf arrogance when you hear some of his radio messages complaint about things like cars driving slowly. He needs to remember he got lucky and Norris probably would have been the better option for the Mercedes no 2 position

Russell would be their choice over Norris as he’s more of a scientific type of driver who give the engineers good feedback. However he’s very quickly turned into a prick since his move to Mercedes’. 

9 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

It's 15 out of 20 are in it because of their wealth background. A lot of them are still good drivers though. 

In most walks of life the people at the top are from privileged backgrounds though F1 financing has created this situation. 

Seaside Dave
4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

gasly to alpine and nyck de vries takes gaslys seat at alpha tauri

Alpine where cracking Fabrizio Romano broke the news 😂😂😂

Quali was great. My manager wasnt happy I watched it while I was working. I did ask him if I could come to work an hour earlier to leave an hour early to watch it. Alarm set for 5.50am in the morning for race. Let's bring the title home super max ❤️

35 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Verstappen takes the title.

Ok it's early but in the space of an hour the headlines went from 'Verstappen can't win title to today' to 'Verstappen confirmed as world champion'

12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Ok it's early but in the space of an hour the headlines went from 'Verstappen can't win title to today' to 'Verstappen confirmed as world champion'

They never understood the rules regarding the points that were awarded because of the red flag. They assumed it would be restricted points but that's only if the race can't restart. 

6 hours ago, rossaldinho said:

They never understood the rules regarding the points that were awarded because of the red flag. They assumed it would be restricted points but that's only if the race can't restart. 

Was it not because of Leclerq’s demotion?

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

i think they missed the half or 3/4 points depending on how much of the race distance was completed out when they changed the rules in the event of last seasons belgium GP. add the le clerc penalty most people were confused

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It was a mixture of that and the new ruling. 

Redbull minor breach of financial rules. Rumours are they went over the cost and wasn't spent on the car. 

Aston Martin procedural breach too led to believe they didn't overspend but filed in the forms wrong.

Could be a point deductions for red bull in constructors. Max losing 2 world titles and a huge fine or race ban. Depending how much over they went. I'd say a fine and maybe deducted constructor points from last season and this season. Be gutted If they took titles from max. 

Ferrari are funny. They cheated for several years and it took nearly 3 years to find them out. They are the ones calling for severe sanctions now. 

I don't know the technicalities of the Budget cap but Red Bull sound confident they haven't deliberately cheated. I think they can be trusted. 

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Ferrari are funny. They cheated for several years and it took nearly 3 years to find them out. They are the ones calling for severe sanctions now. 

I don't know the technicalities of the Budget cap but Red Bull sound confident they haven't deliberately cheated. I think they can be trusted. 

Even Hamilton aswell sure he was part of the famous spygate team when at McLaren. He didn't lose his points that year but think McLaren lost constructor points 

5 minutes ago, Seaside Dave said:

Redbull minor breach of financial rules. Rumours are they went over the cost and wasn't spent on the car. 

Aston Martin procedural breach too led to believe they didn't overspend but filed in the forms wrong.

Could be a point deductions for red bull in constructors. Max losing 2 world titles and a huge fine or race ban. Depending how much over they went. I'd say a fine and maybe deducted constructor points from last season and this season. Be gutted If they took titles from max. 

Minor under 5 per cent won't bring anything serious. Maybe actually end up with reforms of the Budget cap. 

So we can definitely say congratulations to Red Bull and Max Verstappen. They are the ones to catch now. 

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Minor under 5 per cent won't bring anything serious. Maybe actually end up with reforms of the Budget cap. 

So we can definitely say congratulations to Red Bull and Max Verstappen. They are the ones to catch now. 

I disagree.

If the overspend is into the millions then I would expect them to be hit with a significant penalty to deter any future breaches - reduced budget for 2023 or reduced R&D time (windtunnel/CFD).

It is significant that only one team was found to have overspent though...

Malinga the Swinga

Reaction of the UK pundits is, as expected, utterly pathetic. Penalise Red Bull, unfair on Lewis, poor old Mercedes amongst the comments with Martin Brundle amongst the worst.

Get over it, Lewis Hamilton didn't win world championships last year cause car wasn't good enough and fast enough.

8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Reaction of the UK pundits is, as expected, utterly pathetic. Penalise Red Bull, unfair on Lewis, poor old Mercedes amongst the comments with Martin Brundle amongst the worst.

Get over it, Lewis Hamilton didn't win world championships last year cause car wasn't good enough and fast enough.

Tbh the thing was his car was faster than red bull lol fresh tyres on a one lap got Lewis beat and I loved it. Max had title won weeks before it but sure got 0 points some races becusse of likes of Silverstone where Hamilton gained even know he took max out 

Footballfirst

It's not just Mercedes that is upset.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said on Sunday that even a so-called 'minor' breach was a significant offence, and detailed the value of an overspend to a team's competitiveness.

Binotto said: "If there is a breach, the penalty has to be significant. Our car has been developed respecting the budget cap and we know how much even a minor breach would have implied in performance.

"$5m is about half a second, $1-2m is 0.1-0.2secs, which can be the difference between second on the grid to pole.

"It is about 2021. And also over the following seasons. I am expecting full transparency and clarity on the discussions they have had."

The last point is an important one, in that an overspend on development in one year means that the benefit is carried through to the next.  Personally, I would like to see their cap reduced for the next two seasons reduced by whatever amount the cap was exceeded last year (it is too late for a meaningful sanction this year). 

Ferrari have a cheek 😂 no matter what redbull punishment is here. The Ferrari strategy all season has been ran by School children messing about. They are a shambles of a team 

The White Cockade

F1 is a complete shambles 

Safety cars galore, crazy rule changes , winning on technicalities etc etc 

Luckily I’m old enough to have watched Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill et al when it was proper racing 

Last few years have been pathetic 

On 10/10/2022 at 20:04, Footballfirst said:

The last point is an important one, in that an overspend on development in one year means that the benefit is carried through to the next.  Personally, I would like to see their cap reduced for the next two seasons reduced by whatever amount the cap was exceeded last year (it is too late for a meaningful sanction this year). 

That would be interesting to see play out. Wonder if Alpha Tauri would get additional funding/redirect of RBR sponsors to boost that team if the main team was restricted. 

Just reading that the F1 salary cap overspend is about allocating time spent by staff who do other jobs at Red Bull. One senior member of staff not included at all. 

But general view is it will blow over. FIA don't have enough staff to properly review and assess the salary cap it seems. 

Will post article I read when I can. 

On 10/10/2022 at 23:36, The White Cockade said:

F1 is a complete shambles 

Safety cars galore, crazy rule changes , winning on technicalities etc etc 

Luckily I’m old enough to have watched Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill et al when it was proper racing 

Last few years have been pathetic 

Aw, did wee lewis get beat again. Boo hoo. 

It wasn't confusing. If the race is stopped and then you finish the race, you get full points, if the race can't continue it's not full points.

The White Cockade
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aw, did wee lewis get beat again. Boo hoo. 

It wasn't confusing. If the race is stopped and then you finish the race, you get full points, if the race can't continue it's not full points.

Eh?

Have hardly watched Hamilton race at all

Not a fan

Just saying the racing now doesn’t compare to the 60’s 70’s and 80’s

Capiche?

39 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Eh?

Have hardly watched Hamilton race at all

Not a fan

Just saying the racing now doesn’t compare to the 60’s 70’s and 80’s

Capiche?

I'd love to have seen Jim Clark racing, the old videos of those times are great. 

I still really like it though, but I agree this year there has been an awful lot of wet weather red flags.

22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just reading that the F1 salary cap overspend is about allocating time spent by staff who do other jobs at Red Bull. One senior member of staff not included at all. 

But general view is it will blow over. FIA don't have enough staff to properly review and assess the salary cap it seems. 

Will post article I read when I can. 

https://thejudge13.com/2022/10/13/red-bull-crafty-salary-trick-to-avoid-budget-overspend/

20 hours ago, milky_26 said:

red bull founder and owner Dietrich Mateschitz has died aged 78

And by Christ the pre-race tribute was an absolute disaster of broadcasting. 
And just when it couldn’t get any worse some bursd is absolutely mauling the US anthem. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

And by Christ the pre-race tribute was an absolute disaster of broadcasting. 
And just when it couldn’t get any worse some bursd is absolutely mauling the US anthem. 

Has anyone ever not mauled that anthem?

problem with hamiltons brakes on the way to the grid, they are currently replacing the brakes, something that normally takes 30 mins but they are trying it in 15 mins