Prince Buaben

8 hours ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Looking at the way the cars are bouncing,I feel we are going to see a lot more like that😬 says a lot though how much technology has advanced to protect the drivers 😎

This, look how the halo saved Lewis' last season when the RB landed right on top of him.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

great end to the race, both MV and CL having a good fight

It was fun, despite my hoping that Leclerc would win it. My only niggling doubt is that this DRS overtaking is going to lead to more chess-type planning ahead ("I'll get DRS, then he will, then I will, then it will be the end of the race etc...") than actual straight racing overtaking. The thought of two drivers slowing down so that they can be the last one past the relevant mark and therefore benefit from DRS isn't truly "racing", imo.

T'was fun though.

33 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

F1 goes to Vegas next season.

A Saturday night race, for 3 years. Will be early Sunday morning UK time.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Vegas proposed track doesn't look great, but the drivers seem excited which is a good thing I guess 

The drivers get excited about Monaco, which is shite.

12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I love Monaco. It's an iconic date on the calendar.

Vegas might be great, I just think the track looks really boring.

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Monaco is high up on the list of tracks I would drop from F1. Processional shite, just to put on a private show for millionaires. Not suited to modern F1 cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Stuart McNeill
1 hour ago, chubby1973 said:

Latifi is fast becoming the new grosjean this season!?!

that's now been 4 weekends in a row that he's caused a red flag. Stroll maybe had a bit more to blame this weekend. 

Surely F1 still doesn't need paid drivers in this day in age?

get someone more talented and try get Williams more competitive.

4 hours ago, Stuart McNeill said:

that's now been 4 weekends in a row that he's caused a red flag. Stroll maybe had a bit more to blame this weekend. 

Surely F1 still doesn't need paid drivers in this day in age?

get someone more talented and try get Williams more competitive.

Certainly kicking the arse out of the cost cap in terms of chassis replacement.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Excellent drive by Leclerc. Mercedes looking better.

Largely boring race, at a boring circuit. Bring on Europe!

Once Redbull sort out their reliability, gonna be in for an exciting season, as Mercedes will improve also, strong possibility within the next 3 or 4 races of being a 3 way split between Ferrari, Redbull & Mercedes with McLaren sniffing around to capitalise on any crumbs the top 3 leave.

Could be the first time in many a year that there is more than 1 or 2 teams fighting at the top..........bring it on.

Ferrari's return is a great story. Its a few years in the making with the appointment in 2019 of Mattia Binotto as principal. He transformed what was a more angry blame culture back then back into a family, cooperative culture. He brought in Leclerc as well of course who is proving his potential as an equal to Lewis Hamilton. 

In one of the stupidest comments Christian Horner made last year, even for him, that Red Bull 2021 was the first time Mercedes had faced a challenge when Ferrari and Mercedes fought it out on equal terms in 2017 and 2018 with Hamilton just about being the better driver over Sebastian Vettel, its good to see a proper contest again. 

Good times ahead. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just watched an Indy Car race on a road track and by Christ they’re ugly things. 
Anyway, I checked out the winning driver’s Wikipedia entry and was interested to see he did an exhibition drive at Laguna Seca last year in a 1998 McLaren and managed to be a second faster than his best lap in his 2021 Indy Car. 
Kind of puts an end to those discussions about if it is anywhere near F1 in terms of performance. 

Ended up watching the Formula E race this weekend.  I actually enjoyed it.  Its come on a lot since I last watched it (years ago) and is only a little bit like Mario Kart now (still have the speed boost line that you need to cross - but no bananas or shells 😉)  A lot more overtaking and the cars were together almost the whole race. 

and they were previewing a new car that they are all getting next year, Gen 3, faster, more power etc.  Will now go over 200 mph https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2022/april/gen3-launch-in-monaco#:~:text=The Gen3 is the world's,streets of iconic global cities.

I might watch it again!  https://www.fiaformulae.com/

VW confirm porsche and audi plan to enter formula 1 with porsche probably partnering with red bull on their engine and audi maybe buying out another team

Dusk_Till_Dawn

What I’ll never understand about F1 is how a team like Mercedes can go from being the best last season to being miles of the pace this season. How does that happen? And also, how come a team can be slow one weekend and fast the next? I don’t get it 

periodictabledancer

Martin Brundle whoring himself on Sky right now.

'Car crash " was invented for this. 

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

What I’ll never understand about F1 is how a team like Mercedes can go from being the best last season to being miles of the pace this season. How does that happen? And also, how come a team can be slow one weekend and fast the next? I don’t get it 

the merc thing will be due to big changes in the regs about car design etc. they will have messed up the design and are playing catchup. the one week to the next, some tracks suit certain cars better than others. i.e. if you dont have a lot of straight line speed but have a very good aero package you will struggle at the high speed tracks but others like monaco you will be a lot closer if not faster. There is also the fact that it is almost impossible to design a car that is the fastest on every track (for a few years the massive straight line speed advantage the merc had did sort of do that for them) so the designers will design the car around being fast at certain tracks but try to minimise slowness at others.

adambraejambo
1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

Martin Brundle whoring himself on Sky right now.

'Car crash " was invented for this. 

This is hilarious.  Patrick Mahones lol

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, adambraejambo said:

The camera crew smacking one of the Williams sisters in the face, asking some nobody "influencer" his name. 

Toe curling embarrassment. 

Jaap's Sigh
5 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Loving it! Just walking up to random strangers in desperation 😆 and trying to get an interview out of them. 

The nature of the course could mean a surprise driver on the podium today.

SectionDJambo
Just now, redjambo said:

The nature of the course could mean a surprise driver on the podium today.

I agree. This could end up like the Grand National. An incident could easily happen to eliminate favourites and let an unfancied driver enjoy unexpected glory.

After getting up to just over 1s behind Bottas, Hamilton has been dropping away quite markedly. Perez also having problems. Might be a war of attrition.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I agree. This could end up like the Grand National. An incident could easily happen to eliminate favourites and let an unfancied driver enjoy unexpected glory.

There's still time to go, but I've called that wrong so far (no change there :) ). Everyone has steered clear of the walls.

• 2 weeks later...

F1 thread quite quiet this year. Usually a boring race at Barcelona but yesterday was pretty good. George Russell defending brilliantly, Le Clerc looked unstoppable until retirement and a nice strategy change from Red Bull to get maximum points. Bottas still doing wonders for Alfa despite a strategy error.

It's been good this year. The racing between MV and CLC has been good and I hope it continues for the rest of the season. Max has won all the races he has finished and Russell has for being shed in the top 5 at every race.

SectionDJambo

Hamilton unbelievably downbeat for a guy who has won so many championships. Him wanting to retire the car so early on just wouldn’t have happened last year. He looks to be taking a huff that he doesn’t have a car that can easily dominate the rest anymore. 
He did get himself well up the finishing order yesterday but needs to adjust himself to not having a massive advantage over all the other drivers. 
Maybe he still feels robbed over last season’s title, but a champion would usually become more determined to bounce back and get stuck in to those he feels cheated him.

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Hamilton unbelievably downbeat for a guy who has won so many championships. Him wanting to retire the car so early on just wouldn’t have happened last year. He looks to be taking a huff that he doesn’t have a car that can easily dominate the rest anymore. 
He did get himself well up the finishing order yesterday but needs to adjust himself to not having a massive advantage over all the other drivers. 
Maybe he still feels robbed over last season’s title, but a champion would usually become more determined to bounce back and get stuck in to those he feels cheated him.

He made a comment in the heat of the moment. Same as Verstappen did when his DRS wasn't working. And same as Perez did when he thought he could win the race and forgot his place in the team. 

Hamilton was very positive about yesterday's performance. 

Edited by Mikey1874

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

He made a comment in the heat of the moment. Same as Verstappen did when his DRS wasn't working. And same as Perez did when he thought he could win the race and forgot his place in the team. 

Hamilton was very positive about yesterday's performance. 

Hamilton wanted to retire the car very early on. His engineer told him he had a great chance of finishing in the points if he kept going.
Verstappen was frustrated at his DRS not working properly but was still determined to carry on, although in a foul mood.

Perez was justifiably disappointed at being asked to let Verstappen past as he thought he was doing ok and had a chance of a win. Can’t blame him for that really. Bottas suffered similarly a few times to Hamilton’s benefit whilst at Mercedes. 
I just feel that Hamilton is experiencing some lack of motivation because he knows his car isn’t giving him the advantage he has enjoyed over the years. He’s obviously a great driver but he isn’t the first past world champion to find himself in a car which gives him little chance of success.