Prince Buaben

I'd wager they aren't publishing the review findings because it totally undermines Verstappen's victory. 

The positive that ends it though is Lewis Hamilton on the grid for the first race. Which seems to be happening. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The only surprise there is that he's still involved with F1.

It is a surprise. Merc had his card marked and the (empty) threat of losing Hamilton made sure he'd be off. I imagine Masi will be little more than a water carrier; and not like Rassie Erasmus.

Jambo_jim2001
56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

First proper look at the cars at testing in Barcelona.

20220223_092449.jpg

❤️❤️❤️❤️ Hope it goes as good as it looks

I P Knightley

I've no idea why they've done it but I like what they've done with the Alfa for testing - like this but the clip I saw showed a with matching camo helmet. Guess they're just pissing about.

150222-@-Fiorano-12-Large.jpg?v=16451860

Jambo_jim2001
12 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I've no idea why they've done it but I like what they've done with the Alfa for testing - like this but the clip I saw showed a with matching camo helmet. Guess they're just pissing about.

Alfa !will be a near clone of big brother Ferrari,either that or they have got a shed load of sponsorship stickers 😃

10 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

Alfa !will be a near clone of big brother Ferrari,either that or they have got a shed load of sponsorship stickers 😃

Haas is more Ferrari’s little brother than Alfa in terms of the F1 teams. 

14 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

A lot of the new Jaguar Land Rover vehicles drive about down here with a sort of camo pattern on them. Supposedly it helps break up their shape so it's harder to work out what they've done...maybe started as something similar for Alfa and now they've just decided to make some fun of it with the helmets and outfits etc

14 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

They're officially unveiling their new livery on Sunday, so did this so as to not jump the gun.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Is Lewis Hamilton going to throw his toys out his pram again this year? 

Given the agreement that Masi didn't follow the rules/laws in that last race and that, consequently, Hamilton lost out on a world championship, I'd say he was entitled to have a pet lip.

I notice that Verstappen has leapt to Masi's defence when he was taken off his post: "thrown under a bus" when his actions were, at best, incompetent.

They're all spoilt little bairns, though and the races are, by and large, boring so above all I'm hoping that there will be some decent racing.

Just now, I P Knightley said:

Given the agreement that Masi didn't follow the rules/laws in that last race and that, consequently, Hamilton lost out on a world championship, I'd say he was entitled to have a pet lip.

I notice that Verstappen has leapt to Masi's defence when he was taken off his post: "thrown under a bus" when his actions were, at best, incompetent.

They're all spoilt little bairns, though and the races are, by and large, boring so above all I'm hoping that there will be some decent racing.

I think with the new regs thats the plan 🤞

36 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

2023 russian GP now cancelled. This was when it was supposed to move to st Petersburg

More than that. The contract with the Russian Grand Prix promoter has been terminated, meaning no Russian Grand Prix until a contract is re-established.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60601632

First potential dispute over the new designs. Christian Horner gave an interview where he said the new Mercedes wing design is 'illegal' though Red Bull have since back tracked. 

Not like Red Bull to complain. 

I P Knightley
57 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

First potential dispute over the new designs. Christian Horner gave an interview where he said the new Mercedes wing design is 'illegal' though Red Bull have since back tracked. 

Not like Red Bull to complain. 

Christian Horner's a whining wee nyaff. 

On 10/03/2022 at 13:41, hughesie27 said:

Looking fprward to Drive to Survive tomorrow.

It’s been pretty good so far. Interesting that Hamilton seems, so far, to have no relationship with any of the other drivers at all. Lots of clips of drivers from other teams chatting or even having a laugh with each other. Nothing from him, though it may change. 
Anyway I’m just starting the one I’ve been looking forward to, Episode 4. Haas and their routine troubles and drama with the usual X rated commentary from the bossman. 

Edited by Tazio

Footballfirst

Rule change re the restarting of races.

Formula One: Safety car rules tweaked by FIA in wake of controversial 2021 title decider

Formula 1's safety car rules have been changed to make it impossible for a race to be conducted in the manner of 2021's controversial title decider.

Michael Masi was removed from his role as race director last month as a result of failing to apply the rules correctly in the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Masi's actions had a direct result on the outcome of the world championship.

Governing body the FIA has now made it clear "all" lapped cars must un-lap themselves before a restart.

The change replaces the phrasing in last year's rules, which said "any" lapped cars between the leaders should overtake and join the back of the field before a restart after a safety car.

Masi's decision to allow only the cars between race leader Lewis Hamilton and title rival Max Verstappen to un-lap before a restart was at the heart of the Abu Dhabi controversy.

It meant not all drivers in the field were treated equally - as lapped cars between Verstappen and third-placed Carlos Sainz's Ferrari, and others further down the field, were left in place.

McLaren's Lando Norris said the climax to the race had been "made for TV" and his team-mate Daniel Ricciardo added: "I'm glad I wasn't part of that."

Hamilton had dominated the race and was on his way to an eighth world title. But after the restart the Mercedes driver was left exposed on old tyres and passed by Verstappen's Red Bull, earning the Dutchman a maiden championship.

Verstappen's Red Bull team used this as an argument that Masi had not erred in his procedures and the result should stand. And the stewards also used it to retro-fit a justification for Masi's actions and keep the outcome in place after Mercedes lodged an appeal after the race.

The second rule at the heart of the Abu Dhabi controversy has been left unchanged.

This is the requirement the race must be restarted "at the end of the following lap" after the message is relayed that lapped cars may now overtake.

Masi ignored this rule and restarted the race at the end of the lap on which he had ordered only some lapped cars to pass the leaders.

Had he followed the rules as intended on this aspect, the race would not have restarted and Hamilton would have been world champion.

The rule changes are the latest in a series of moves by the FIA that amount to an effective admission Masi made mistakes in his handling of the Abu Dhabi race.

The first was the admission that the controversy was "tarnishing the image" of F1 and the decision to launch an inquiry into what had happened.

After conducting the inquiry, Masi was removed as race director and replaced by two two new officials who will alternate in the role, Eduardo Freitas and Niels Wittich.

And the support structure in race control was beefed up, including the establishment of a department similar to football's video assistant referee (VAR) and the return of F1 veteran Herbie Blash in an advisory role to the race directors.

Blash, 73, was the right-hand man of former FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting, whose death on the eve of the 2019 season led to Masi being appointed race director.

A full report into the events of Abu Dhabi is expected to be published during this weekend's season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

It is widely accepted within F1 that Masi did not follow the rules correctly.

The closest there has been to an explicit admission of that fact by the FIA has been an interview by executive director of single-seaters Peter Bayer.

He said that, had Mercedes pursued their appeal, it would likely have been decided that "it's different in the regulations, he [Masi] decided that [other] way, so we could just void the result".

Had the race been declared void, Verstappen would still have been champion as he started the event ahead in the championship by virtue of results count back.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
25 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Rule change re the restarting of races.

Formula One: Safety car rules tweaked by FIA in wake of controversial 2021 title decider

Formula 1's safety car rules have been changed to make it impossible for a race to be conducted in the manner of 2021's controversial title decider.

Michael Masi was removed from his role as race director last month as a result of failing to apply the rules correctly in the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Masi's actions had a direct result on the outcome of the world championship.

Governing body the FIA has now made it clear "all" lapped cars must un-lap themselves before a restart.

The change replaces the phrasing in last year's rules, which said "any" lapped cars between the leaders should overtake and join the back of the field before a restart after a safety car.

Masi's decision to allow only the cars between race leader Lewis Hamilton and title rival Max Verstappen to un-lap before a restart was at the heart of the Abu Dhabi controversy.

It meant not all drivers in the field were treated equally - as lapped cars between Verstappen and third-placed Carlos Sainz's Ferrari, and others further down the field, were left in place.

McLaren's Lando Norris said the climax to the race had been "made for TV" and his team-mate Daniel Ricciardo added: "I'm glad I wasn't part of that."

Hamilton had dominated the race and was on his way to an eighth world title. But after the restart the Mercedes driver was left exposed on old tyres and passed by Verstappen's Red Bull, earning the Dutchman a maiden championship.

Verstappen's Red Bull team used this as an argument that Masi had not erred in his procedures and the result should stand. And the stewards also used it to retro-fit a justification for Masi's actions and keep the outcome in place after Mercedes lodged an appeal after the race.

The second rule at the heart of the Abu Dhabi controversy has been left unchanged.

This is the requirement the race must be restarted "at the end of the following lap" after the message is relayed that lapped cars may now overtake.

Masi ignored this rule and restarted the race at the end of the lap on which he had ordered only some lapped cars to pass the leaders.

Had he followed the rules as intended on this aspect, the race would not have restarted and Hamilton would have been world champion.

The rule changes are the latest in a series of moves by the FIA that amount to an effective admission Masi made mistakes in his handling of the Abu Dhabi race.

The first was the admission that the controversy was "tarnishing the image" of F1 and the decision to launch an inquiry into what had happened.

After conducting the inquiry, Masi was removed as race director and replaced by two two new officials who will alternate in the role, Eduardo Freitas and Niels Wittich.

And the support structure in race control was beefed up, including the establishment of a department similar to football's video assistant referee (VAR) and the return of F1 veteran Herbie Blash in an advisory role to the race directors.

Blash, 73, was the right-hand man of former FIA F1 director Charlie Whiting, whose death on the eve of the 2019 season led to Masi being appointed race director.

A full report into the events of Abu Dhabi is expected to be published during this weekend's season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

It is widely accepted within F1 that Masi did not follow the rules correctly.

The closest there has been to an explicit admission of that fact by the FIA has been an interview by executive director of single-seaters Peter Bayer.

He said that, had Mercedes pursued their appeal, it would likely have been decided that "it's different in the regulations, he [Masi] decided that [other] way, so we could just void the result".

Had the race been declared void, Verstappen would still have been champion as he started the event ahead in the championship by virtue of results count back.

It's amazing that Benson still has a gig at the BBC.

He's nothing more than a fanzine writer who continually makes snidey comments about anyone who dares challenge Hamilton or Mercedes.

4 minutes ago, Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic? said:

It's amazing that Benson still has a gig at the BBC.

He's nothing more than a fanzine writer who continually makes snidey comments about anyone who dares challenge Hamilton or Mercedes.

It really is astonishing. I understand a British broadcaster will support the British drivers but Norris and Russell barely get a mention from him. He’s a dreadful journalist and you rarely get the impression he truly understands the sport beyond sitting typing articles in his Hamilton jammies. I fully expect lots of Russell stuff now though. 

Edited by Tazio

luckyBatistuta
On 10/03/2022 at 13:31, I P Knightley said:

Christian Horner's a whining wee nyaff. 

Been really looking forward to watching this season of DTS. My mate who has already started watching it has said exactly the same thing, says he’s gone right off him.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

kingantti1874

Karen Horner has always been a .. a dishonest .. Marko is the same.. 

RBR are a horrible team.. and those 2 are the root cause.. 

Vettel was a duck when he drove and when he left quickly became probably the most likeable guy on the grid.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Karen Horner has always been a .. a dishonest .. Marko is the same.. 

RBR are a horrible team.. and those 2 are the root cause.. 

Vettel was a duck when he drove and when he left quickly became probably the most likeable guy on the grid.

It's amazing how much Mercedes/Wolff trigger Karen :lol:

Karen and Red Bull are great fun. Some people say that all the controversy is part of Red Bull's advertisement strategy. Basically selling more drinks. 

But Horner is highly committed and brings a lot to F1. 

Though I still want them to explain why they risked Verstappen's life in Baku dangerously reducing the tyre pressure to get an advantage.

I won't be surprised if it's not Verstappen's last dangerous high speed crash and not necessarily from his own recklessness.

I think Drive To Survive is less entertaining now that a lot of it is less fly on the wall and more scripted looking. 
There’s a new series on Amazon called MotoGP Unlimited doing the same for motorbike racing. It makes you realise that F1 for all the talk of danger and risking lives is actually very safe and the drivers are (thankfully) massively protected. And a bit of a dull bunch on the whole. 

rossaldinho

Problem with Drive To Survive is that majority of it is fabricated bullshit. Enjoyed the first season but every season after that has just been Netflix trying to create drama out of nothing. The episodes where it's specific to a driver, like Grosjean a couple of years ago are always interesting but when they talk about two drivers who are clearly really good friends (like Lando and Carlos) they try their hardest to make it out like they hate each other.

Just glad the season is back and hopefully more teams have sussed out the new regs to make it more competitive, and as much as I dislike Hamilton I hope he absolutely leathers Russell over the season.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Mercedes definitely looks like it's struggling.

Which is a shame...

Red Bull and Ferrari (i.e. Verstappen and Leclerc) look very close.

Strange mix amongst the other teams.

Looks like the Mercedes have pace after all, surprise, surprise. Though can the drivers cope with bouncing up and down for a whole race length? 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Looks like the Mercedes have pace after all, surprise, surprise. Though can the drivers cope with bouncing up and down for a whole race length? 

Mercedes' new sponsors - Gummy Bears.

Looks like it could be a great race.

Verstappen has some choices to make on how aggressive he is if the cars are closer and there are more drivers who can compete. 

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Nice to see a Ferrari on pole. 

i think the red bull will have too much race pace for the ferrari