Prince Buaben

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

mercedes could have pitted under the safety car but decided not to

Not relevant to the debate about the decision that Massi made allowing only 5 cars to unlap, these being the cars between Verstappen and Hamilton.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• milky_26

• Mikey1874

• Taffin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, H2 said:

Not relevant to the debate about the decision that Massi made allowing only 5 cars to unlap, these being the cars between Verstappen and Hamilton.

how is it not relevant when you are throwing your toys out of the pram about them being on different tyres.

i didn't see you complain about them starting on different tyres

43 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

they have done that all season

Yup. Congrats to Max, but in general terms, no matter who had won it, there have been too many controversies this year. Although there are always gray areas, the rules should be far tighter than they are so that there is less leeway in their interpretation, while the grey areas should be well defined so that we know when grey areas are possible. I hope that this makes sense.

1 minute ago, H2 said:

Yep he basically decided the race with that decision.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

He's another wee prick.

mercedes i feel have made the wrong choice going for russell over norris. maybe they were worries about norris being able to compete more with hamilton

Just now, milky_26 said:

mercedes i feel have made the wrong choice going for russell over norris. maybe they were worries about norris being able to compete more with hamilton

Aye Russell seems to be the golden boy but Norris the better driver for me.

14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Twice, once under the virtual safety car and the other under the full saftey car, but they didn't because Mercedes knew that they'd have lost track position to Verstappen.

They chickened out in my opinion. Track position is important but it isn't everything. Fear of failure can often lead to that failure becoming a reality.

Edited by redjambo

Just now, milky_26 said:

Russell and Norris are polar opposites. Russell is a better fit at Mercedes, he’s a scientific driver and Norris is a gut feeling driver. They’ll get more input in car development from Russell. 

Just now, Taffin said:

I'm fairly certain Max wasn't on a new set of softs?

I thought so too. He was on newer hards, wasn't he?

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

how is it not relevant when you are throwing your toys out of the pram about them being on different tyres.

i didn't see you complain about them starting on different tyres

The debate is not fundamentally about the tyres, it's fundamentally about the decision that Massi made allowing only 5 cars to unlap themselves, leaving three still a lap behind. 

Just now, H2 said:

The debate is not fundamentally about the tyres, it's fundamentally about the decision that Massi made allowing only 5 cars to unlap themselves, leaving three still a lap behind. 

then why were you moaning about different tyres?

Just now, H2 said:

It was a rather unorthodox decision, the sort of decision that shouldn't be allowed, imo. Not because it let Max win, but because the rules should be set in stone, not made up on the fly.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Masi is one of the most patronising men alive.

tbf he does need to treat all team principals like children due to all of their behaviour

luckyBatistuta
Just now, redjambo said:

They chickened out in my opinion. Track position is important but it isn't everything. Fear of failure cam often lead to that failure becoming a reality.

Mercedes obviously thought it was going to end under the safety and if it had, they would have thrown away the title. As much as I’m happy at Max winning the title, not sure I agree with only letting five lapped cars past the safety car.

Just now, Tazio said:

Mercedes starting to look quite undignified here. They’ll be threatening to pull out of F1 again probably. 

:D Undoubtedly.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

He pitted onto scrubbed softs under the safety car I think.

It's a minor semantic point but seems to be the crux on the debate over the last page...and of course they all start with the same tyres available to them and it's then up to the teams (largely) on how they deploy them.

Just now, milky_26 said:

then why were you moaning about different tyres?

I'm not moaning about the tyres, I just made the point that because of the unjust decision by Massi, the hard tyre competitor had no chance against the soft tyre.

Disgrace of a decision. I don't buy the "let them race" mantra being trotted out by the FIA. You either let all or none through, not the 5 inbetween both drivers.

I can see Mercedes taking this further.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It was a rather unorthodox decision, the sort of decision that shouldn't be allowed, imo. Not because it let Max win, but because the rules should be set in stone, not made up on the fly.

I agree, it was something never allowed before.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

Mercedes obviously thought it was going to end under the safety and if it had, they would have thrown away the title. As much as I’m happy at Max winning the title, not sure I agree with only letting five lapped cars past the safety car.

Sorry, I have should have been more specific. They chickened out of the decision under the VSC to put Lewis on new tyres, following the example of Red Bull and Max. From that point on, Lewis was at the mercy of a safety car being called out. It was a huge gamble, made for the wrong reason.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

He pitted onto scrubbed softs under the safety car I think.

It's a minor semantic point but seems to be the crux on the debate over the last page...and of course they all start with the same tyres available to them and it's then up to the teams (largely) on how they deploy them.

In all the excitement, I didn't see that. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

tbf he does need to treat all team principals like children due to all of their behaviour

Yeh, agree with that. However he's not handle on it at times this season imo.

Whilst I love the addition of the FIA radio now being audible for us...I'm not sure it's a great thing and maybe those discussions at that level would be better kept between the FIA and the teams.

Just now, Taffin said:

Whilst I love the addition of the FIA radio now being audible for us...I'm not sure it's a great thing and maybe those discussions at that level would be better kept between the FIA and the teams.

i agree there does seem to be points where he (masi) has felt he is the star of the show. just like some football refs who want to be the centre of attention

luckyBatistuta

Sorry, I have should have been more specific. They chickened out of the decision under the VSC to put Lewis on new tyres, following the example of Red Bull and Max. From that point on, Lewis was at the mercy of a safety car being called out. It was a huge gamble, made for the wrong reason.

red, you never ever need to apologise to me pal. Understand what you are saying now and agree, as he was the faster than Max

Think you're spot on with that summation. They spun the wheel and they lost. Lewis knew it and it came across in his radio messages.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I disagree. I think it's quite fun hearing those conversations, it gets you even more involved in the action. I don't think Masi's the guy for the job though.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Verstappen finished on softs. Had the red ring round them.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In all the excitement, I didn't see that. Cheers.

Easily done, I may also be wrong I'm still struggling to process it all a bit!!

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The odds on the safety car being required with under 10 laps to go must have been astronomical.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

red, you never ever need to apologise to me pal. Understand what you are saying now and agree, as he was the faster than Max

Indeed. he could well have lost track position due to pitting, but he would have had a very good chance of getting it back before the end.

Sorry again. ;)

luckyBatistuta

Indeed. he could well have lost track position due to pitting, but he would have had a very good chance of getting it back before the end.

Sorry again. ;)

:lol:

I disagree. I think it's quite fun hearing those conversations, it gets you even more involved in the action. I don't think Masi's the guy for the job though.

I agree, I've absolutely loved it but I feel it's made it a bit too much Horner vs Toto at times and it's really polarised it. They're the team principals so they should be lobbying for their teams but it can leave an unsavoury taste hearing it all played out on tv.

I want it to stay for my enjoyment but for the wellbeing of the sport I'm not so sure.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The odds on the safety car being required with under 10 laps to go must have been astronomical.

The VSC, and Mercedes' decision to keep Hamilton out on the same tyres, came on lap 36 out of 58.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

With fatigue, tyre deg and drivers fighting for the last time this season, I'm not so sure. I certainly wasn't surprised someone dropped it when they did.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, redjambo said:

The VSC, and Mercedes' decision to keep Hamilton out on the same tyres, came on lap 36 out of 58.

No idea why Mercedes thought that was a good idea to leave their driver (who was controlling the race) to be left trundling around on ageing tyres🤷🏼‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I agree, I've absolutely loved it but I feel it's made it a bit too much Horner vs Toto at times and it's really polarised it. They're the team principals so they should be lobbying for their teams but it can leave an unsavoury taste hearing it all played out on tv.

I want it to stay for my enjoyment but for the wellbeing of the sport I'm not so sure.

That's a fair point. It has become rather polarised and bitter. I'm a wee bit torn though - I don't particularly enjoy the bitterness between the teams, but it makes the whole thing far juicier.

I’ve a feeling Mercedes may also claim that Verstappen at one point went ahead of Hamilton (by inches) when they were jockeying for position just before the safety car came in. If the result was changed because of that it would be ridiculous 

Edited by Tazio

luckyBatistuta

Even if Mercedes can find a written rule to back their protest, there is no chance i see them stripping Nax of the title and giving it to Lewis. They are going to just have to suck it up and accept it.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

No idea why Mercedes thought that was a good idea to leave their driver (who was controlling the race) to be left trundling around on ageing tyres🤷🏼‍♂️

As I said, they chickened out, imo. To them, the chance that they might lose track position scared them into hanging on and hoping for the best. In the end, Red Bull made the gutsier decision and deserved the win.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Tazio said:

I’ve a feeling Mercedes may also claim that Verstappen at one point went ahead of Hamilton (by inches) when they were jockeying for position just before the safety car came in. If the result was changed because of that it would be ridiculous 

Max was just wanting to get alongside to

DCC669C2-58E5-46F8-A563-AE9805421DBF.gif

luckyBatistuta

As I said, they chickened out, imo. To them, the chance that they might lose track position scared them into hanging on and hoping for the best. In the end, Red Bull made the gutsier decision and deserved the win.

Pretty much nails it