Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not just Brora as I said. That was just the highlight. From 20 odd games this season I think I’ve seen 4 maybe 5 that might indicate we’ll be okay next season and by okay I mean surviving. 

This season had 2 targets. One was going back up so tick that box and 2 was to start get the club into recovery and get it in better nick for next season. I’ve not see any evidence of that and Neilson can no longer be trusted during a transfer window, especially one as vital as this coming one 

i don’t think anything we’ve done this season will have an impact on next season and that’s a missed opportunity IMO. For starters there was a chance to get some youngsters into the team and give them plenty game time. Not one up coming academy player has played for Hearts for a single minute this season. No attempt made whatsoever to develop youth in a perfect league for it. We are no better now than we were when we hit bottom of the league last year

IMO None of the games this season will have a bearing on we we perform next season 

I didn't expect Robbie to fix our youth out in 7 months. 

And Tbh, if we finish about 3rd next season I don't care if it's with youth or not. 

Irving seems to be our most ready youth player for first team football and in all honesty it is 50/50 if he was/ is good enough even for this Hearts team. 

In terms of recruitment I also didn't expect us to plan too much for next season as simply put we will be able to attract better players for  next season now  than we could  last summer for obvious reasons. 

The last thing we needed was to fill the team out with more shite, it's also sensible timing as we have lots out of contract. 

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

While I lean towards wanting Neilson to go, I firmly believe that the payer recruitment this summer will have a much bigger impact than if we change managers. This is a bigger summer for Savage than it is for Neilson IMO.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

While I lean towards wanting Neilson to go, I firmly believe that the payer recruitment this summer will have a much bigger impact than if we change managers. This is a bigger summer for Savage than it is for Neilson IMO.

If he can’t motivate this lot why would he do any better with anyone else? 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If he can’t motivate this lot why would he do any better with anyone else? 

Because this is a crap league, that we had all but mathematically won months ago, with a lot of players who know they won't be there next season. As I said, I lean towards getting rid of Neilson, but denying that it would be easier to motivate players next season is just silly.

kingantti1874

Winning the championship was a must, but I think my success criteria are pretty simple.

1. we finish 3rd often and 5th at worst.

2. we have good cup runs and progress to the latter stages on a reasonably frequent basis. Even win one every 5 years or so taking any opportunity that is handed to us.

3. As the third biggest club in Scotland we should be able to give the old firm a bloody nose on occasion during a season

4. we beat hibs more often than we lose to hibs

5. we NEVER get embarrassed and certainly not twice in the same season

and the most important one. 

6. I look forward to and enjoy going to the football. (Note this doesn’t mean we need to play with flair! 100% effort, passion and commitment is absolutely mandatory, not bending over to any team at any point is mandatory. Occasional flair nothing more than a bonus

i don’t like the look of Robbie’s chances on any of these points

Edited by kingantti1874

kingantti1874
Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Because this is a crap league, that we had all but mathematically won months ago, with a lot of players who know they won't be there next season. As I said, I lean towards getting rid of Neilson, but denying that it would be easier to motivate players next season is just silly.

fair point. 

It depends on how much weight you put on the Brora result. I don't think that there would be nearly the same amount of discontent if we were still in the Scottish Cup.

What I would say is that in recent years, whenever we've changed manager, we've got worse.

Neilson left after finishing 3rd

Cathro replaced him and finished 5th

Levein replaced Cathro and finished 6th twice

Stendel replaced Levein and finished 12th.

At some point we have to stop this ludicrous churning of players and staff and try and build from a stable platform.

Edited by Martin_T

8 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

As much as I think player recruitment will be important it's even more vital the right person is in the manager's job. Jordan Roberts contributing for Motherwell after he had done nothing for us is a perfect example of this.

Cruickie's Moustache

If Hearts are not aiming for the three targets I have mentioned then what it is we would be trying to achieve in competitions where possibly only Hibs and Aberdeen should be the main competitors outwith the two cheeks? 

Its not as though Real or Bayern are getting parachuted into our cup competitions.

This season Hibs look like taking third, were in the semi of the League Cup and will be favourites to get into the next round over Stranraer. Therefore, with a fair wind, there a good chance Jack Ross could meet my 3 indicators

I agree you have to review the circumstances of not reaching those aims and take certain factors into account in assessing the managers/teams performance.

However by the same token simply coming across that defeats in the cups to Alloa and Brora are in anyway acceptable is also equally unrealistic for a club the size of Hearts.

Folk have talked about the players having been too comfortable and thus performances drop, the same could be said of a manager who doesn't seem to be under any particular pressure despite eye bleeding football until last Friday.

As discussed I'm yet to be convinced I have seen anything from RN that bodes well for next season.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

i have gone tonto so it’s a fair assessment on me. I think I’ve a fairly decent track record of defending managers for longer than most. But once I’m over the edge that’s it - I can’t really go back

Just a general observation, felt I could engage with yourself as an adult contributor rather than others. 

I'm not a fan, but somehow I can't reconcile with the axe when he gets the job done in the League.  His record is actually well above average. 

But and it's a big but, the cups were dire first time and don't seem to be much better this time, other than the delayed cup, where the players had significantly higher levels of motivation. 

I guess I'm torn. I always believed this season was a waste of a year, job done in December really, beyond our personal enjoyment are we being too tough based on the years he left?

I never got the boring bit first time, I was happy, except cup ties. These last 3 months were awful style wise.

If there is a good alternative sitting there anxious to take the job on, not averse, if it is full on search less inclined to do that again and give him the chance to replicate 15/16 when really he did very well. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

As much as I think player recruitment will be important it's even more vital the right person is in the manager's job. Jordan Roberts contributing for Motherwell after he had done nothing for us is a perfect example of this.

I agree, there has been a concerning trend of players tending to get worse rather than better in their time at Hearts. Not convinced Neilson is the guy to help us improve that moving forward. But the barebones of a good squad are there, and with the right additions in the areas we were severely lacking this season, we will be decent if unspectacular regardless of whether or not Robbie can sort his tactical system out. If the recruitments poor, we're in real danger of finding ourselves in a relegation battle again.

Jambo in Bathgate
5 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Although I disagree with your stance it’s refreshing to engage with someone who has an opposite view from the majority. 

Out of interest can you understand why people want RN out? You quote Levein and Cathro, two managers who were given too much time in the job before the inevitable and basically we threw away seasons due to an inability to make the hard decision to get rid. There is a fear for most that we are sleepwalking into the same situation.

Also do you think RN has actually attained the basic requirements of a head coach? Has he improved any players, introduced youth or has a good tactical nouse? Given the resources at his disposal and the opposition we have faced where would you rate his performance? 

Be interested on your take. 

This was not the season to introduce youth. Irving and Henderson were used however they have been slaughtered on here myself included.  We had 27 games to win this league and get back up with that comes an uneven split of matches. However, the converse is true for many of the other clubs where survival is the name of the game. They came to Tynecastle and also at home after the first round of matches to avoid defeat and catch us on the break. Some succeeded others didn’t. As for coaching players most of our senior players shouldn’t need to be coached. Robbie Neilson will be given at least the first round of matches in the SPL. Recruitment will be done by Joe Savage along with Robbie so players will be signed that can work with any manager. I am also sure that Ann Budge has learned her lesson regarding players wages and we will revert to a basic wage that is incentivised by a good bonus system.  

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

And what happens if we finish 3rd next year but get pumped out the cups by Diddy teams? Sack the next guy? Managers need more than 6 months and they shouldn't get sacked for one bad result, whether it's the worst in your history or not. Personally I remember being more upset getting beat 6-2 by Hibs under JJ. Stendel gets defended to then hilt on here by most of the people on here who want Neilson out and he was responsible for the single most damaging result in our recent history. 

Managers deserve more than 6 months and folk defend Stendel who had 3? Bit hypocritical isn’t it? 
Neilson has been in the job for over 9 months, we knew exactly what we were getting which was as dull as he is. 

Cut The Crap
31 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

If Hearts are not aiming for the three targets I have mentioned then what it is we would be trying to achieve in competitions where possibly only Hibs and Aberdeen should be the main competitors outwith the two cheeks? 

Its not as though Real or Bayern are getting parachuted into our cup competitions.

This season Hibs look like taking third, were in the semi of the League Cup and will be favourites to get into the next round over Stranraer. Therefore, with a fair wind, there a good chance Jack Ross could meet my 3 indicators

I agree you have to review the circumstances of not reaching those aims and take certain factors into account in assessing the managers/teams performance.

However by the same token simply coming across that defeats in the cups to Alloa and Brora are in anyway acceptable is also equally unrealistic for a club the size of Hearts.

Folk have talked about the players having been too comfortable and thus performances drop, the same could be said of a manager who doesn't seem to be under any particular pressure despite eye bleeding football until last Friday.

As discussed I'm yet to be convinced I have seen anything from RN that bodes well for next season.

I like your style.

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

It depends on how much weight you put on the Brora result. I don't think that there would be nearly the same amount of discontent if we were still in the Scottish Cup.

What I would say is that in recent years, whenever we've changed manager, we've got worse.

At some point we have to stop this ludicrous churning of players and staff and try and build from a stable platform.

What is the common denominator in all that? Who picked the last three managers? The problem starts at the top and won’t be fixed until that changes. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Which players that are playing regularly are leaving in the summer,  and how do other clubs manage to motivate their players who are leaving? It’s just another excuse used to defend him, that doesn’t stand up to any scrutin. 
He can’t motivate players as he has neither the charisma or the trust of the players to do so, no matter what their contract situation is? 

Bad Religion
49 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

In the words of John Travolta......

we've got shills, they're multiplying..

Neilson Out.

😂

50 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Your last paragraph is spot on.

Many fans wanted rid of the 4 managers and AB responded but then she gets criticised for changing managers so often, not to mention the resultant turnover of staff.

If we keep RN it should ony need 2 maybe 3 players to get us to a healthy position upstairs.  We have already shown in the cup semi and final that on a good day we are not as far behind Premier league teams as we might think.  Moving even half a dozen players out in close season should free up wages to hire 2 or 3 players of better quality.  Adding them to a fit Souttar and Haring and we ought to make a marked improvement in the standard of football and results.

If we do change managers soon it must be made clear to the incoming manager that that also applies to him.

What is needed is someone with decent coaching skills and tactical nous.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Just a general observation, felt I could engage with yourself as an adult contributor rather than others. 

Superior intellect. it’s a bummer right. You can only speak to the top 10% of the population.

sandylejambo

we are about to start adding players for next season, with Neilsons track record, are we really letting him lose in the transfer market, we have enough duds at the club without getting any more. not one player has improved under this manager, he cant motivate and he has no tactical knowledge. why would we give him anytime managing in the premiership, that would be just writing the season off, AGAIN. please no more talk of -give him a chance-,  we have seen his style and I and every other Hearts supporter I know don't want him at Tynecastle. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Superior intellect. it’s a bummer right. You can only speak to the top 10% of the population.

Not at all, but its nice to have a conversation where we can agree to disagree :)

Since I talk to you, must be including yourself in the 10% Jimmy?

Edited by Sir Gio

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not at all, but its nice to have a conversation where we can agree to disagree :)

Since I talk to you, must be including yourself in the 10% Jimmy?

Missed out a smiley mate. Apologies for my wee jest 😀

Lord Beni of Gorgie

15 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

we are about to start adding players for next season, with Neilsons track record, are we really letting him lose in the transfer market, we have enough duds at the club without getting any more. not one player has improved under this manager, he cant motivate and he has no tactical knowledge. why would we give him anytime managing in the premiership, that would be just writing the season off, AGAIN. please no more talk of -give him a chance-,  we have seen his style and I and every other Hearts supporter I know don't want him at Tynecastle. 

That's curious, the ones I know reluctant to let him go, I am as usual on the fence. Made some decent signings first time round, they all get some shit ones too.

Bjorn Johnsen was a cracking signing ruined by the successor.

Though Kitchen was limited he filled a hole and protected the defence. Not pretty but effective against better teams. 

Rossi was a decent centre back and though Muirhead did nothing for anyone else he played well for Neilson. 

I don't think its certain either way how it will pan out. Suppose that makes it a bit more interesting. 

Not going to be pissed off if he stays or goes, if he does stay hopefully he let's the hand brake off

Edited by Sir Gio

Rogue Daddy
7 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Although I disagree with your stance it’s refreshing to engage with someone who has an opposite view from the majority. 

Out of interest can you understand why people want RN out? You quote Levein and Cathro, two managers who were given too much time in the job before the inevitable and basically we threw away seasons due to an inability to make the hard decision to get rid. There is a fear for most that we are sleepwalking into the same situation.

Also do you think RN has actually attained the basic requirements of a head coach? Has he improved any players, introduced youth or has a good tactical nouse? Given the resources at his disposal and the opposition we have faced where would you rate his performance? 

Be interested on your take. 

I think this is a huge reason most would like RN to move on.... once bitten twice shy. CL has a lot to answer for. The Brora result was just the last straw, followed by a couple of insipid performances that should have seen the team busting a gut to try and right (how small a gesture it may have seemed) the huge wrong.

Rogue Daddy
7 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

That 6-2 v hibs...we had Flogel at right back, Fulton st left back, James in centre defence and Petric in midfield. They had guys like Latapy and Sauzee at their best that time as well. 

It was bad but there were at least mitigating circumstances. 

Even if we did just base it on one result, the Brora game was sackable. Non league, hadn’t played for 80 days and they deserved to beat us - it’s not as if their keeper played a blinder. The fact this is being glossed over is ridiculous. 

But almost worse has been the clubs reaction to it on and off the pitch. Weakly burying heads in the sand. 

...and when they do raise their heads, it's in the form of a condescending statement. Not a good look or attitude towards your fans and paying customers. Hearts PR department also needs to have a word with itself!

8 minutes ago, pointon said:

Looking like Micky Mellon will be leaving Dundee United in the summer wonder if Robbie fancy’s a return ticket 

To quote one Utd season ticket holder I know, 'I would eat my own puke before I would have that useless ***** back at Tannadice'.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Which players that are playing regularly are leaving in the summer,  and how do other clubs manage to motivate their players who are leaving? It’s just another excuse used to defend him, that doesn’t stand up to any scrutin. 
He can’t motivate players as he has neither the charisma or the trust of the players to do so, no matter what their contract situation is? 

I think the bigger problem has been the crap league which was over in January. The players that know they are leaving leaving are only mentioned because Robbie himself brought them up in an interview, and you can imagine that has contributed to the general malaise around the club. Again, not that I am defending Robbie who I think should go, but it will be much easier to motivate players next year in the top league with fans back.

13 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

To quote one Utd season ticket holder I know, 'I would eat my own puke before I would have that useless ***** back at Tannadice'.

😂so as highly regarded as he is here

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Missed out a smiley mate. Apologies for my wee jest 😀

Not a problem. 

Next Tuesday is still a while away to get some further evidence of improvement. Win the last 3 convincingly I doubt any triggers will be pulled. 

If the players want rid, what a fantastic opportunity 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, pointon said:

Looking like Micky Mellon will be leaving Dundee United in the summer wonder if Robbie fancy’s a return ticket 

Where is he off to?

Nookie Bear
15 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Mighty Doncaster Rovers. :bigyawn:

Strange. I know there is an attaction English football but that’s a step down for me. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Not a problem. 

Next Tuesday is still a while away to get some further evidence of improvement. Win the last 3 convincingly I doubt any triggers will be pulled. 

If the players want rid, what a fantastic opportunity 

From thinking he was definitely a gonner 2 weeks ago, I think he’s ridden the storm a bit, almost all due to the Alloa game and 3 good results will keep his job for him. 

I don’t think he’s up to the job next season but he’s probably going to get the chance unless there is a ST protest of some kind and they need to pull the trigger.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Doncaster is a mental toon full of mental wimmin.

34 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Strange. I know there is an attaction English football but that’s a step down for me. 

He’s hardly leaving a big club, Dundee is a toilet. They’ve just reported a £4m turnover and loss over £3m.

the only way is down for utd

25 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

All these towns in the north of England are the same. Used to live in County Durham. Nutty. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

He’s hardly leaving a big club, Dundee is a toilet. They’ve just reported a £4m turnover and loss over £3m.

the only way is down for utd

Would enjoy sending them down but for one thing....would mean a bottom 6 finish.

11 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I’m talking about the outcome of the season which was literally a win. We have won a game we were expected to win, but it’s 1-0 and wasn’t a great performance. It’s not a draw. It’s not going to extra time. It’s over, we’ve won. We’ve cobbled together a title win from the ashes of a team that had an eye watering 10% win percentage from the prior 18 months starting around Novermber 2018, Levein-Stendel death spiral so all talk of a “cakewalk” was absolute pish, there was a job to do with that squad that insipidly came down and got 2 managers sacked, and that jobs been done. Now there’s a job to do on the squad that’s gone up. Neilson will get his chance to do it. So no it’s not a “positive spin” I’m not especially overjoyed with it, it’s just the results. So will move on now to a summer of beer gardens, Euros and Hearts back in the premier. The pressure from the fans will be intense so let’s hope that produces some sparks. 

Neither of the 2 previous managers were sacked, the first was shuffled into a job on the back shift to keep him out the way and the second was milked dry of his generosity for months before a loop hole in his contact allowed Budge to take that piggy bank she'd been saving the wages he was forgoing in and hand it over to the chairman of Dundee United while begging him to release Robbie "the messiah" Neilson (which they were all to happy to do anyway cause their fans had the exact same feelings towards him as 95% of those at Tynecastle do now).

colinmorewasgash
On 13/04/2021 at 08:06, Hashimoto said:

Fair enough!....However, it does look like you're trying to put a positive spin and what has been another meh season of football.
This is yet another case of using statistics to disguise the real issues and malaise at HMFC.

The league title this year should have been and was a cakewalk as predicted. Well done Robbie!
However, the manner in which we won the league raised more question than answers. The players and team as a whole clearly regressed as the season went on. The opportunity was there to play with authority and set the stamp on what the future could look like with Neilson calling the shots!
However, he failed, and failed badly to convince a very large portion of the support that he had the football nuance to build a team of strength, or a team for the future.

His summer signings on the whole have been a disaster. Good players because very ordinary. Good players with a bit pedigree (GMS) suddenly looked like they had never played the game! Roberts goes out on loan to Motherwell and looks like a totally different player.

Protests on the plaza!

And I haven't even touched on the worst defeat in the history of the club, let alone the Alloa debacle!  

Yes, statistics will show that the league was won.....But let's admit that they disguise a whole myriad of issues at the club just now.

For me the final score for the season is a limp 1-1 draw with both teams happy to get off the pitch!

Neilson Out

Interesting some fans reaction regarding Brora as a one off blip etc just like our board and Robbie seem to think it was. Did they forget Alloa in league cup too. If and I know its big if, the hobos were to go on and win it again under the stewardship of Budge and Bob for 2nd time, do you think the fans will be behind Bob and Budge at start of new season.

18 hours ago, GinRummy said:

All these towns in the north of England are the same. Used to live in County Durham. Nutty. 

I used to work at Slaley Hall Hotel near Consett, was mental when the pubs emptied.

13 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

I used to work at Slaley Hall Hotel near Consett, was mental when the pubs emptied.

I was in Chester le Street. Got pally with a couple I worked beside from Consett. They never had a good thing to say about the town. 

ScottieMac17
21 hours ago, HighTimes said:

That useless ***** who got them promoted after 5 years of struggling in the championship???... No pleasing some people... hahaha

19 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It still belongs to Scotland. :D

ScottieMac17

I don't think the football will be great under Robbie and I dont have huge amounts of confidence that we will finishing in the top 3 next season, however i really dont understand the hate that Robbie is getting. Yeh he might not be great but I dont hate him like most on here. I think some fans need to calm down on that front. 

With the amount of toxic hearts fans just now, you have to look at what a manager from down south or abroad might think looking at the club, having fans hating a manager so much after he has achieved what he was asked to do. I dont think the way the fans are acting is going to shine the club in a good light for potential managers. 

6 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

That useless ***** who got them promoted after 5 years of struggling in the championship???... No pleasing some people... hahaha

It was 4 years.

Bob lost a playoff in his first season.

Their playing budget was 130% of their turnover, and was multiples of every other team in the league.

Apart from all that, I'm sure the couldn't have done it without Rob.

ScottieMac17
2 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

It was 4 years.

Bob lost a playoff in his first season.

Their playing budget was 130% of their turnover, and was multiples of every other team in the league.

Apart from all that, I'm sure the couldn't have done it without Rob.

You could also argue that without Robbie they wouldn't have made the play off that year, since they were 4th when he took over and Csaba was sacked for losing 5-1. If it was so easy to get Dundee United promoted why did it take 4 years and failed attempts by Csaba Laszlo and Ray McKinnon?

Not saying Robbie is the man for us, but i think the universal hate he is getting just now is a bit harsh. 

john thomas
32 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I was in Chester le Street. Got pally with a couple I worked beside from Consett. They never had a good thing to say about the town. 

Black Cat in Chester le Street was great . Friendly girls .

Mind you haven't been there for nearly 50 years .

Won't exactly be girls anymore will they ?