Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

16 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

question if he does leave do we get a development fee for him :rifle:

I would imagine so, might soften the blow a tiny bit

18 hours ago, brunstanejambo said:

I've often thought that a US style collegue/draft system would be a great model for developing players in Scotland, but assume that it would/could never work due to employment laws in the UK/Europe and the fact that all clubs are selfish and greedy and want to discover/develop the next Lionel Messi themselves. 

We've got, what - 10-12 decent sized universities in Scotland that could each have squads of 20 players per year getting a good football and academic education from the ages of 17-21. That would be a pool of about 200 players a year available to be drafted into pro teams. Not saying that you would get that many good enough to play in the top division every year but I'm convinced it would give a better pathway for more players in Scotland. 

Stirling and Edinburgh Uni's already have their first teams playing in the lowland league, so why can't the likes of Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee, Napier, St Andrews etc all have teams at that level (or higher) too? 

Up until a few years ago I used to coach youth and u20 teams and it was depressing seeing so many kids swooped up by pro-youth teams at 10/11 years old, only to spend 8-9 years in the system and then get binned at 18-19 giving up football all together.

The system in Scotland needs to change. 

Verging on a rant, so back on topic - Irving is a great player and fanatic prospect so I hope that he signs as I love watching homegrown players in maroon and we haven't seen enough of them with his quality and ability coming through in recent years. 

If he doesn't sign and goes elsewhere though he's being no more greedy or selfish than every other player and club in Scotland/UK/Europe.

For every Andy Irving that leaves for free, there are probably about 100 that are let go without a second thought. 

Good post mate. Anything that benefits youth football should be listened to. Depressingly, in our country, for a decent plan like yours to be planned/organised/executed requires a competent body. We have the sfa/spfl... and sorting youth football is merely scratching the surface of 'things that have to change' in our country where football's concerned.

I hope, with Brexit and everything that comes with it, more emphasis will be placed on producing home-grown talent. The 3 foreigner rule of 20+ years ago has stunted our production of Scottish talent - you only need to look at how many national tournaments we haven't reached since that rule was changed!

Anyway, back on topic... I really thought we would have heard more from the club regarding Irving - don't know if it's a good or a bad thing! The lad deserves a decent contract.

2 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

question if he does leave do we get a development fee for him :rifle:

Be pennies I'd think.  £300k or something.

Wonder what the full cost of developing a player is.

Be loads if you include how many it takes to produce one.  But just the direct money spent to bring a kid from age 10/11 to age 20.  Never really thought about it

wattie exploited
22 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Be loads if you include how many it takes to produce one.  But just the direct money spent to bring a kid from age 10/11 to age 20.  Never really thought about it

its not a lot for all the years and effort put into making him a better player .

WE should be getting our good young players signed up on good deals and not paying them peanuts  .

Look at the money we have wasted on players who have been utter piss it makes sense to pay the young guys who are good a bit more money then sell them on in 3 years time for a good transfer fee  :rifle: 

22 hours ago, TheBigO said:

When you consider the amount of cash we have wasted on some players it will be ridiculous if we lose Irving for he sake of 300k or so on a new contract.

Don't know if it's been said, but I do remember reading a while back talk of Europe, so has his head perhaps been turned by Aaron Hickey's move?

I really hope he signs, develops and we can get a good fee for him in the future.

Edited by colinmaroon

43 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Don't know if it's been said, but I do remember reading a while back talk of Europe, so has his head perhaps been turned by Aaron Hickey's move?

I really hope he signs, develops and we can get a good fee for him in the future.

Si. 

Still hope he signs but been very average last few games. Maybe the contract uncertainty is affecting him.

One things for sure, while he can pick out a lovely pass and is great at finding a yard of space for himself he’s not the sort of player that’s going to grab a game by the scruff of the neck in the same way that Stevie Fulton used to or even like McGinn did for them. That might come with time and experience though so would rather get him signed up and try and develop it.

He will end up at the cherries.

I spoke to someone who knows a coach down there and they’re sniffing about Andy.

Edited by 1874robbo

15 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Big f u by the management team tonight to take him off in a game he was bossing.

Didn’t play a killer pass tonight nor created a chance. Very disappointing tonight. Certainly didn’t see him bossing tonight. His partner in midfield bossed the game tonight. Irving was largely anonymous. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Didn’t play a killer pass tonight nor created a chance. Very disappointing tonight. Certainly didn’t see him bossing tonight. His partner in midfield bossed the game tonight. Irving was largely anonymous. 

Would rather McEneff came on than Irvine stayed on.  He def started passing the ball better 2nd half but we were never taking Halliday off in this type of game and McEneff injected pace and energy which was great to see.  

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Correct, if he wants more cash to stay then he’ll need to do much better than tonight. Gave the ball away cheaply, can’t tackle and positioning all over the place at times.

49 minutes ago, Arry said:

Decent player but needs to concentrate .... hope he signs on, win-win.  

Needs to improve,maybe lacking concentration,be a idiot not to stay here.

If he doesn't sign soon we'll need to start preparing for next season. We need to see what McEneff is all about and we need to see if Haring can return to his former self. Is McGill still here? 

And no I'm not proposing we spit the dummy and drop him but the last few games should be giving others a chance if he's not staying.

scott herbertson

His worst performance for a while, probably due to all the speculation. Still showed some desire so hopefully there is still a deal to be done, but showed he isn't the finished product tonight

wattie exploited
11 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

I spoke to someone who knows a coach down there and they’re sniffing about Andy.

who's the cherries ?

And he’s not praying!
10 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Big f u by the management team tonight to take him off in a game he was bossing.

He’s bossed a few games of late.

Last night certainly wasn’t one of them.

Thought he was poor last night.

Something being overlooked is some of his defensive work last night. He made a great interception from a cutback near the end stopping a great chance. Also won a header from a defensive corner right at the death.

These are things you should expect from a CM but he's not associated with that sort of work so worth pointing out.

Even his underhit pass 1st half, he burst a gut to get back and pressure the shot. Again, should be expected, but could you say we've had that from our players in recent seasons? More likely to throw arms up and blame someone else for their mistake.

The boy has a great attitude.

He didn't have a poor game last night. He, like everyone else, was playing in a hurricane! He was still the one when the game was scrappy, to take a touch in to space and calm it down for us. He also drove into space a couple of times which was a nice addition.

I'd like to go off topic and say same about Gnandos last night. Having played up front in similar conditions, it's bloody impossible. The ball either wasn't reaching him or flying past him. Kept working, that's all we could ask of anyone last night.

4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Bournemouth 

Aw I just hope if he moves he goes where he'll play. He could do so there I guess.

Worst case is we lose him and he vanishes.

But, Andy, just stay. Ya shit.

11 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

If he does go down there, he’ll be back up here inside two years. He’s not the finished article by any stretch of the imagination. He’d be far better signing a two year deal here and testing himself in the PL.  He has great potential - but none of that will be realised sitting on the sidelines. A good season with us and continued progression will see clubs with a bigger and better profile than Bournemouth after him. I hope that he thinks carefully about his career and is not being influenced by an agent whispering in his ear. It’s unfortunate that too many young players are.

Edited by Deevers
Typo

Seymour M Hersh

Even Dodds on TV last night was saying he owes Hearts and should stay another couple of years to develop. Or did I hear that incorrectly?

11 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Not sure about bossing anything last night. Thought he was poor and the subs were the right ones.

We’re struggling to get the right blend in midfield. Haring not featuring, Halliday usually anonymous, (Turned up last night).

Mceneff, hopefully is the answer and will let the forwards be forwards.

I like Irving but he’s not irreplaceable IMO

Edited by Jamhammer

11 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I agree. What was annoying me with the lad was numerous times he had space to run into but just played a simple sideways pass. 

20 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I agree. What was annoying me with the lad was numerous times he had space to run into but just played a simple sideways pass. 

Yep... His incisive forward passes are all done with his left foot, if he can't pass with his left he rearranges his body to pass sideways or back instead of trying to use his right foot. Not something that has been glaring (to me) over the past couple of years... but it's definitely something that I've noticed more, recently. And it's bugging the hell out of me now.

Edited by Rogue Daddy

part_time_jambo
40 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Even Dodds on TV last night was saying he owes Hearts and should stay another couple of years to develop. Or did I hear that incorrectly?

No, you heard correctly. But you can't come on here and say something positive about Billy Dodds!

11 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

bossing ? Not the game I was watching. He was bang average and Was the obvious choice to come off.  I suspect he isn’t signing so we will see less of him as the games are played. No problem with that.

Irving is a good prospect don’t get me wrong but there is a lot of OTT praise . I hope he stays but won’t lose any sleep if he goes. It’s what happens. Easily replaceable now we have a decent manager and Sporting Director that won’t sign A.N.Other  on 4 year deals

7 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

No, you heard correctly. But you can't come on here and say something positive about Billy Dodds!

Exactly. It just confuses everyone. I’m actually wondering if we should just let him leave now after Dodds comments. 

If he doesn't sign a new deal he probably thinks he's too good for our level, even when we're promoted.

Irving isn't that much of a standout. His pass completion rate is pretty high because he's very safe with his passing. Every game he plays in this division he should be assisting or scoring himself, but he's found wanting a wee bit. 

If he moves on he'll be back playing in the championship for a pish wee club in a few years time,  just like Jordan McGhee.

Maybe being a wee bit harsh on him but there's been a lot of chat around him and his potential to be a quality player, but to be a quality player you need to be a real standout at this level and at his age. He isn't.

Haven’t really followed the Irving contract saga that closely. Is there any talk of bigger clubs being interested in him?

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

Haven’t really followed the Irving contract saga that closely. Is there any talk of bigger clubs being interested in him?

It’s not really a saga, he’s been offered a contract and knocked it back demanding better terms. So he’s been made a second offer and talks are ongoing which is where we are now. Hopefully he isn’t overrating himself based on a couple of good games vs Alloa and Raith. 

thought panto season was finished, much as I hope he will sign this is dragging on. Surely a zoom call summit thrashes it out and then all parties know where they stand.

3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yep... His incisive forward passes are all done with his left foot, if he can't pass with his left he rearranges his body to pass sideways or back instead of trying to use his right foot. Not something that has been glaring (to me) over the past couple of years... but it's definitely something that I've noticed more, recently. And it's bugging the hell out of me now.

Yep, doesn’t use his right foot at all, bit short of pace, doesn’t really tackle. He isn’t the superstar that some on here think he is.  Lot of potential but lot of work required as well. 

Jambo in Bathgate
4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Correct 

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

His worst performance for a while, probably due to all the speculation. Still showed some desire so hopefully there is still a deal to be done, but showed he isn't the finished product tonight

More likely due to the weather and Ayr being dirty *******s.

Agree with the last part.

As is the way with JKB players are either superstars or wage feefs, the truth is usually oi between.

Andy has some great technical ability , is decent and could improve a good bit yet, but like almost all players in Scotland has better and worse games.

If anything you learn more from players in these games, where they need to show another side, in this case, dig guts, stamina and discipline. 

I hope Andy stays, but he can be replaced.

Edited by Smith's right boot

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )