Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )

His name is

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

Four players at Women's Super League side Manchester City have tested positive for Covid-19.

BBC Sport has been told that the positive tests came as a result of four players taking a trip to Dubai with the club's permission.

The names of the quartet concerned have not been disclosed.

City are currently fourth, eight points behind leaders Manchester United and are due to face West Ham at home on Saturday.

However the club are not expecting any further positive results ahead of the game.

The players involved are now self-isolating and a City statement said: "Everyone at the club wishes our colleagues a speedy recovery ahead of their return to work, training and competition."

At the time, Manchester was in Tier 3 which meant foreign travel to countries which had an open corridor was permitted, although not advised by government.

The Football Association said on Tuesday that there were a total of 15 positive results from 635 tests carried out across the Women's Super League and FA Women's Championship between 28 December and 3 January.

The club's men's team had to call off their Premier League match at Everton last week because of coronavirus cases, but it is understood there are no shared facilities between the teams.

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The SFA or SPFL will do **** all but if it was Hearts, we'd get the book thrown at us.

16 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

I think we all know how this goes at the end of the day.

This is not your run of the mill Scottish football club being discussed.

Indeed 

I wonder if what Celtic got agreed was a training camp not what they are saying is R+R 

SFA have already told BBC that they have no intention of investigating the claims that celtic players have broken the rules. At least their corruption is transparent. 

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Jesus **** , you know this is about Crltics trip to Dubai not your hatred of Scottishness or Independence or NS etc. Go start a thread in the shed or post in toe covid thread if you wanna jump up and down

👍

constantly at it 

wish he’d keep this pish for the shed

1 minute ago, topsport said:

And again...

very tiresome 

shed please 

🙄

Sets a dangerous precedent if the SG have said probe it and the SFA say na we won’t bother. Anyone with half a brain must have realised it was a dumb idea to still go. Iv seen a lot of Celtic fans ripping into them for it. It will all be forgotten next week but the fact they have done what they like will crop up when public do as they like and are pulled up for it

Just now, sadj said:

Sets a dangerous precedent if the SG have said probe it and the SFA say na we won’t bother. Anyone with half a brain must have realised it was a dumb idea to still go. Iv seen a lot of Celtic fans ripping into them for it. It will all be forgotten next week but the fact they have done what they like will crop up when public do as they like and are pulled up for it

Yeah totally agree that celtic knew it wasn’t a good idea and did it anyway 

as @Cruyff said though , the Scottish football authorities will likely try to do as little as possible about it 

but hearts would’ve been hammered 

buzzbomb1958

SG been in discussion with rest of UK to stop flights landing in Britain to stop anyone from anywhere in the world bringing new strain into Britain ,what would happen to the manks if they miss the deadline ?

3 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

SG been in discussion with rest of UK to stop flights landing in Britain to stop anyone from anywhere in the world bringing new strain into Britain ,what would happen to the manks if they miss the deadline ?

Nothing it's Celtic FC. 

buzzbomb1958
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Nothing it's Celtic FC. 

They can't land if borders are closed government don't want south African strain getting in they would have to isolate the

3 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

They can't land if borders are closed government don't want south African strain getting in they would have to isolate the

Which they would and the football authorities would do nothing as they sanctioned it and they're shit scared of Lawell

buzzbomb1958
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

Which they would and the football authorities would do nothing as they sanctioned it and they're shit scared of Lawell

That's going to mean all first team

2 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

That's going to mean all first team

After reading Celtics statement they've made it clear they were authorised to go. Which gives Doncaster and co a real problem if this goes wrong.

buzzbomb1958
5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

After reading Celtics statement they've made it clear they were authorised to go. Which gives Doncaster and co a real problem if this goes wrong.

Superb

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Indeed 

I wonder if what Celtic got agreed was a training camp not what they are saying is R+R 

That’s a point I tried to make earlier......let them call it R & R as by my reckoning, having had R & R previously in the army, I can assure you it’s a break from work so, if they claimed they were travelling for “work” or a so called “training opportunity” they may wriggle of the hook, if it’s a summer Rest & Recreation as they say....I rest my case........burn them down.

highlandjambo3
51 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I’d suspect if they can field a squad of 11 (who didn’t travel) they’ll be told to get on with it.

54 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

It would be a whole different scenario, BB.

Celtic rule the world, don’t you know?

But only in their own wee green eyes.

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Strange how the JRG is said to have approved of this "training opportunity" for Celtic, during the Covid pandemic, but stopped Hearts training because of the same Covid pandemic.

I really don't know the answer to this one. Did any other club in Europe go off to do warm weather training during any winter break their league may have had?

Did the JRG/Doncaster not lie about the training ban, saying it was imposed by the government, who later denied it?

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Where was Vlad’s submarine when we needed it?

How very true, Nooks!

Old VR would have (of?  :lol: ) sorted out these sorts.

Just now, Morgan said:

How very true, Nooks!

Old VR would have (of?  :lol: ) sorted out these sorts.

We need the “alternative universe” film where lockdown happened around 2007 and Vlad was in full flow. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We need the “alternative universe” film where lockdown happened around 2007 and Vlad was in full flow. 

Damn right!  

He didn't care about feckin with the dirty weegies, he wouldn’t give C19 a cats chance in Hell.

I would take Vlad, or someone of his ilk, back in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, kila said:

Some top flight clubs might want to be relegated so they can get next season's lockdown government money in the form of a grant rather than loan :whistling:

Funny, I thought that a couple of days ago. I wonder, if given the choice, St Mirren or Ross County or Hamilton would swap places with us right now?

It made me think that perhaps spending this season in the Championship may not have been the worst outcome. We’re top of the league, a big grant in our back pocket and a year to ‘get our act together’. We haven’t lost out out financially (compared to Premier League teams) as no fans have been allowed back... in fact we’re probably better off than the Hamilton’s of this world as we have good ST numbers and said grant. And TBH it’s been (on the whole) refreshing to watch a winning side with better refereeing (give or take a couple of games). 
It still doesn’t make me any less angry at last years farce... but I still think we’re better off than most Prem teams as long as we don’t screw up promotion. 

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Damn right!  

He didn't care about feckin with the dirty weegies, he wouldn’t give C19 a cats chance in Hell.

I would take Vlad, or someone of his ilk, back in a heartbeat.

Surely he can be employed by FoH on a consultancy basis 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If not, why not?  👍

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Could certainly do with a few more chairmen with his backbone in Scottish football. He wasn’t afraid to treat the uglies the way they treat everyone else. 

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Did the JRG/Doncaster not lie about the training ban, saying it was imposed by the government, who later denied it?

Yes they lied. It comes natural.

Jason Leitch called them out on it. They also denied that a couple of Championship clubs had asked for our training pause because it wasn’t fair.

Somebody is still telling lies about this episode. Celtic should have been told to make up their fixtures backlog, anyway, instead of this jolly.

Allowayjambo1874
52 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Funny, I thought that a couple of days ago. I wonder, if given the choice, St Mirren or Ross County or Hamilton would swap places with us right now?

It made me think that perhaps spending this season in the Championship may not have been the worst outcome. We’re top of the league, a big grant in our back pocket and a year to ‘get our act together’. We haven’t lost out out financially (compared to Premier League teams) as no fans have been allowed back... in fact we’re probably better off than the Hamilton’s of this world as we have good ST numbers and said grant. And TBH it’s been (on the whole) refreshing to watch a winning side with better refereeing (give or take a couple of games). 
It still doesn’t make me any less angry at last years farce... but I still think we’re better off than most Prem teams as long as we don’t screw up promotion. 

Prize money differential is pretty large. If we win this league and also have the grant of £500k added in we are still not getting as much as bottom place club in the premiership. It does however definitely soften the blow of going down this season. 

8 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

So not wishy washy after all.

sounded like yet another warning. feels a bit like the preferential treatment scott brown gets... by rights she should be dishing out punishments here.

rudiatemyhamster
8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Jason Leitch called them out on it. They also denied that a couple of Championship clubs had asked for our training pause because it wasn’t fair.

Somebody is still telling lies about this episode. Celtic should have been told to make up their fixtures backlog, anyway, instead of this jolly.

I think it’s all a bit odd.  In the week we are all being told only to leave the house when absolutely necessary.  A football team can travel half way round the world for a piss up.  

Let me repeat that - you must not leave the house but another member of society can get on a bus to the airport, wait in an airport lounge, jump on a plane, get on another bus and then start getting drunk with their mates in a hotel.  

That is irresponsible and unacceptable behaviour during a pandemic.  From a part of society that people look up to, this is doubly bad.

The government need to look at this and if there has been a breach of the rules, then the punishment should be in line with those that have been agreed.

Aside from this the government also need to look at how the loop holes can be closed.

Celtic are a plc which is run by arrogant self serving dislikable gravy dribbling Tories who sell a false predication of being a community club whilst looking to exploit historic sectarian attitudes for profit.

Watching the news and that pathetic video celtic released of their players ‘hard at it’ on the training pitch in Dubai 🤣🤣 . It was akin to a spoon and egg race from old Sunday school days. Absolute farce.

In my opinion this isn’t going to be swept under the carpet (for a change).  Although Sevco won’t be making much noise about it under the fear the whole league gets kabooshed. However, if say they return from Dubai with positive cases then all hell will break out.  And there should be an enquiry. That filth took a selfish, sleekit out to Dubai with the sole intention to wreck a season they are intent on getting 10. 
I would guarantee they would not of gone if it was neck and neck at the top. That’s the question that should be asked.  All they’ve done is intentionally try and do a last gasp attempt to stop sevco at all costs and to hell with all consequences for anyone else. Of course they have previous with this as we only know to well (Dundee vote).

They are a vile club with no shame as proved in their cover ups in horrendous abuse in the past. A club who’s support celebrate and sing about IRA massacres. A club who have not gave a shit about a global pandemic. They probably paid for that crap defender to go to Spain first lockdown so they could get rid.

A club who have had how many fines from UEFA ? 
A club that’s a skid mark on humanity as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by 1971fozzy

The biggest difficulty that the Scottish Government have here is that the obvious response should be to remove the ability for athletes to travel but the consequences of that would see Rangers kicked out of Europe (and probably some Rugby teams too) while having little to no impact on Celtic.

30 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Prize money differential is pretty large. If we win this league and also have the grant of £500k added in we are still not getting as much as bottom place club in the premiership. It does however definitely soften the blow of going down this season. 

Dont forget we will have received a parachute payment too.

The trip was planned awhile back without much fuss coming from anywhere other than a slight media mention of the rearranged Hibs game, even then Hibs didn't really make a fuss after the initial twitter from LD.

The spike in Covid has been tracking upwards for weeks, so why does it take a picture of someone holding a pint before there is an outcry , the media should have been calling this out from the start as it is making an  absolute mockery of the current situation, Celtic PLC again showing who is running Scottish Football , it is also the biggest two fingers to their own support, it should have been canceled way back or at the latest after the OF defeat. 

Really just enforces my dislike for them 

3 minutes ago, number-16 said:

The biggest difficulty that the Scottish Government have here is that the obvious response should be to remove the ability for athletes to travel but the consequences of that would see Rangers kicked out of Europe (and probably some Rugby teams too) while having little to no impact on Celtic.

simple solution would be to ban Celtic from travel and UEFA should step in and ban them for 3 years or more. They’ve put the health of families, a leagues future, and a nation under lockdown at risk. All for their selfish reasons. They should have the book thrown at them. 
Rangers shouldn’t suffer, neither should the rest of us. The sight of them not socially distancing drinking beer hours after a defeat that (let’s face it) lost them their dream is sickening. They will do anything to get the league null and voided.  Hope the SG open an enquiry. They should be made to of they come back with the virus.

36 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

sounded like yet another warning. feels a bit like the preferential treatment scott brown gets... by rights she should be dishing out punishments here.

It would only be at overall Scottish football level not Celtic specific.

Leitch was adamant for Kilmarnock, St. Mirren and Dundee United it was up to football authorities to level club punishments.

Do you think that Sturgeon or Leitch should ask the SPFL to fine or dock us points for our imo, ill advised Christmas Fancy Dress day on the Oriam pitch under the auspices of a training session?

Especially now as it transpires we weren't testing after all..

Edited by DETTY29

ToadKiller Dog

Only thing I can see celtic worry about is that their own support haven't manned the barricades to defend them anything like they normally would . That could store problems in the future if the gap with the other half doesn't close in the league .

They won't care about a jot  slaps on the wrist from the gov or the spfl/sfa  .

9 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Watching the news and that pathetic video celtic released of their players ‘hard at it’ on the training pitch in Dubai 🤣🤣 . It was akin to a spoon and egg race from old Sunday school days. Absolute farce.

In my opinion this isn’t going to be swept under the carpet (for a change).  Although Sevco won’t be making much noise about it under the fear the whole league gets kabooshed. However, if say they return from Dubai with positive cases then all hell will break out.  And there should be an enquiry. That filth took a selfish, sleekit out to Dubai with the sole intention to wreck a season they are intent on getting 10. 
I would guarantee they would not of gone if it was neck and neck at the top. That’s the question that should be asked.  All they’ve done is intentionally try and do a last gasp attempt to stop sevco at all costs and to hell with all consequences for anyone else. Of course they have previous with this.

a club with no shame as proved in their cover ups in horrendous abuse in the past. A club who’s support celebrate and sing about IRA massacres. A club who have not gave a shit about a global pandemic. They probably paid for that crap defender to go to Spain first lockdown so they could get rid.

A club who have had how many fines from UEFA ? 
A club that’s a skid mark on humanity as far as I’m concerned.

Would not want anyone to catch Covid, however it would be interesting to see how it would be dealt with if they were unable to fulfil any fixtures due to Covid.

This may be the saving grace for the appeal from Killie and St Mirren , the SFA may just overturn the decision and allow them to paly the fixtures in case of the above !

6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It would only be at overall Scottish football level not Celtic specific.

Leitch was adamant for Kilmarnock, St. Mirren and Dundee United it was up to football authorities to level club punishments.

Do you think that Sturgeon or Leitch should ask the SPFL to fine or dock us points for our imo, ill advised Christmas Fancy Dress day on the Oriam pitch under the auspices of a training session?

Especially now as it transpires we weren't testing after all..

What I think is that actions ought to have consequences, if a sector of society have routinely and repeatedly abused those privileges they should be withdrawn. Given that NS can't directly interfere in the minutia of how things are run within the game she should simply confiscate the ball...Don't actually want that to happen but honestly at this stage I feel that's what she ought to do. Clearly I'd be shocked if she does actually have the chutzpah to do so.

8 minutes ago, Jap Jambo said:

What I think is that actions ought to have consequences, if a sector of society have routinely and repeatedly abused those privileges they should be withdrawn. Given that NS can't directly interfere in the minutia of how things are run within the game she should simply confiscate the ball...Don't actually want that to happen but honestly at this stage I feel that's what she ought to do. Clearly I'd be shocked if she does actually have the chutzpah to do so.

If anything Leitch maybe needs to have another session with football to remind them of their responsibilties.  Or football needs a recheck.

There really needs to be a ask yourself 5 times 'is that right, really?'

Celtic is obvs one that just screams out 'no' even if it is technically allowed.

That said, I have no doubt the vast majority of clubs are breaching guidelines, or the spirit of the guidelines all the time.

Just at various degrees.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

If anything Leitch maybe needs to have another session with football to remind them of their responsibilties.  Or football needs a recheck.

There really needs to be a ask yourself 5 times 'is that right, really?'

Celtic is obvs one that just screams out 'no' even if it is technically allowed.

That said, I have no doubt the vast majority of clubs are breaching guidelines, or the spirit of the guidelines all the time.

Just at various degrees.

NS & JL must be thinking that they have better things to do than continually have these idiots **** up. How many times is this in the 5 months since football resumed? Celtic Killie, St Midden, Aberdeen and Rangers players, Hibs/Celtic/Rangers/St Mirren fans outside grounds. Ross and Lennon both getting off team buses without masks on. 
Celtic away on this jolly. Scotland players too. 
The SPFL/SFA/JRG solution would be to tell the top league to step up precautions and stop the rest of the leagues. 

Unknown user
12 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Also mentioned some of the photos but not in knowledge of context.

Sunbathing, drinking and in bar not being 2 metres apart as they need to be should be enough for a review even if elite sports overseas training is allowed.

This is the main thing for me, there's been lots of talk of protocols, of what's expected from clubs when the players are with them. St Mirren and Killie were punished for not sticking to these protocols.

I'd like to know more about these protocols and if these photos show them being followed or not, the fact they're in a country that's still open to travel is irrelevant. 

8 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

The SFA/SPFL have said they will not be investigating this so it will just drift down the news pages now. 

Personally I believe any club that voted in line with Doncaster’s proposals is equally responsible for the demise of Scottish football. 

11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The SFA/SPFL have said they will not be investigating this so it will just drift down the news pages now. 

Personally I believe any club that voted in line with Doncaster’s proposals is equally responsible for the demise of Scottish football. 

Reckon it will be a story again when they fly back in, photos of them arriving at the airport etc.     The media are largely complicit in this country though but not doing their jobs when it comes to the Old Firm but SG have at least put the pressure on. 

This could still go nuclear though...... If Celtic players pick up Covid out there then it all kicks off.     Whether that happens remains to be seen of course. 

I emailed the SPL on Monday asking for clarification/any mitigating factors re several Aberdeen players clearly breaking COVID ‘bubble’ protocols in an Aberdeen bar (photographic evidence) and several Celtic players clearly breaking COVID ‘bubble’ protocols in a Dubai bar (photographic evidence). No response yet!

Entertaining thread.

The issue here is (1) Celtic and (2) the SPFL.  Why there is such a clamour from some for SG to be somehow responsible for every aspect of life is beyond me.  It looks clear to me that arrangements were put in place to allow European competitions to take place.  Celtic have pushed those boundaries and the SPFL has done bollocks about it.  In a time where we have a global pandemic in tandem with BREXIT and the coordination of the largest vaccination program in our history, is anyone really surprised that Celtic's training intentions did not feature higher up the SG's risk register?

And on a pedantic note, Government does not make laws.  That is Parliament's job.  Government has the advantage of implementing its policy in law, subject to Parliamentary approval.  At the moment, the SNP is a minority Government, meaning it has insufficient numbers within its own ranks to pass anything within Parliament, which in turn means that it has to achieve the support of other parties to do so.

Perhaps all Scottish Westminster MPs and all MSPs should be required to declare which team they support (and which school they went to?) in order for we, the people, to have full disclosure? 😏

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, Haken said:

Entertaining thread.

The issue here is (1) Celtic and (2) the SPFL.  Why there is such a clamour from some for SG to be somehow responsible for every aspect of life is beyond me.  It looks clear to me that arrangements were put in place to allow European competitions to take place.  Celtic have pushed those boundaries and the SPFL has done bollocks about it.  In a time where we have a global pandemic in tandem with BREXIT and the coordination of the largest vaccination program in our history, is anyone really surprised that Celtic's training intentions did not feature higher up the SG's risk register?

And on a pedantic note, Government does not make laws.  That is Parliament's job.  Government has the advantage of implementing its policy in law, subject to Parliamentary approval.  At the moment, the SNP is a minority Government, meaning it has insufficient numbers within its own ranks to pass anything within Parliament, which in turn means that it has to achieve the support of other parties to do so.

Perhaps all Scottish Westminster MPs and all MSPs should be required to declare which team they support (and which school they went to?) in order for we, the people, to have full disclosure? 😏

Pretty naive to think that some of the Weegie votes are not influenced what religious beliefs they have. Just as naive as thinking religion doesn't have a bearing on which arse cheek some support.

All pretty stupid but it's part of Weegie culture

Edited by Maroon Sailor

• davemclaren changed the title to Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )